Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• coalcracker1coalcracker1 Member Posts: 9
    I assuming that the lack of input here is because the XG 350 owners are not experiencing any problems. I hope I am right because my car now has 6,000+ miles on it and I am still ecstatic about it.
  • specialdoc2002specialdoc2002 Member Posts: 54
    Our 2002 XG350L has just passed 30,000 miles at 23 months of ownership, and I would have to say that we have been very pleased with its performance and reliability. Nothing has happened that you could classify as a "failure." There were some things that "weren't right" when it was new, but they got fixed.

If there is anything that causes concern it is the practice of the local dealer to "recommend" a lot of expensive maintenance that goes waaaaaaay beyond with the Owners Manual calls for.

We are scheduling it in for "30,000 mile service" next week, and are going to try to get them to do what the manual calls for, at a reasonable price, rather than a big list of things in their service dept. brochure for 30K service that contains some really expensive stuff that Hyundai does not call for. Will report back here when we have made it through this offensive process.

It is this kind of crap that would bias my inclination to buy another Hyundai, and I would think that Hyundai USA would want to try to put a stop to it. It may seem to be a lot of car for the money when you are in the purchasing mode, but if routine maintenance costs are out of line the word about that is going to get around.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    All you have to do is request what the manual calls for and the service will be charged accordingly. All the extra crap they try to make you do is not required and you can refuse to do it without warranty concerns. Hyundai is not alone in not being able to control extra dealer charges. Any dealer tries to push unneeded service in hopes to make extra profit. Some buy into it and thus the dealer continues to do it.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    I just wish, like you, that more people would see through the greedy frontloading the dealers do with these "Recommended Maintenance" lists. The key word folks is RECOMMENDED, which is NOT the same as REQUIRED!!!
  • bear101bear101 Member Posts: 1
    I was very impressed with the feel and interior of the XG350L. I used to drive a Sedan De Ville and a Fleetwood back when I had money to burn (remember the late 80's?)and the style of the interior, while 'dated' per the critics, is exactly what I was looking for, but at a bargain price. I also don't mind missing out on the V8 for a far more economical V6 with power! The ride in the 04 is smooth and the handling crisp enough for my tastes, plus I haven't experienced any of the problems I've seen posted on the '01-03's in my first few thousand miles, but time will tell. Any company willing to back up their engine with a 100,000 mile warranty must be pretty confident in their engineering.
  • idforedidfored Member Posts: 20
    For my XG350(year 2002,15 month old, works two shifts for me and my wife)'s 30,000 mile service, I did not go to the dealer. My mechanic replaced oil/filter, air filter, coolant according to the owner's manual and inspected few things yesterday. He said "To be honest, there aren't many things to do for 30,000 service" which I understand for a fairly new car. He charged me $112. Did I save money or not?
    It sounds like you got a fair deal, especially if they flushed the coolant, did an oil change and changed the air filter. However, for peace of mind, and to avoid any disagreement over whether an inspection would have detected a problem earlier, I recommend going to a dealer for the 30K and 60K services when they supposedly do all the inspections. Then you can rebut any claims that you weren't maintaining the vehicle properly in between those visits.

Just don't let them bilk you for unecessary services and parts. Tell them you want exactly what the manufacturer recommends, nothing more or less. You should have received a maintenance schedule along with your owner's manual. That's what you go by.
  • jrbjrb Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a 350L yesterday ... great ride, great driving experience ... I'm kinda scared to make the commitment based on some of the things I've read on this Board. But guess one takes their chances with any change of vehicle. The only reason I am considering trading my Linc Cont is because of the requirement to use premium fuel and/or the MPG.
    You may be interested to learn that I replaced a 1999 Lexus LS400 with XG, and also had owned a 1990 LS400 for over 7 years. (Bought both of them new).

It may surprise you to learn that my wife and I feel that the XG experience has some remarkable similarities to Lexus LS400, but moreover there were some DESIGN deficiencies in the Lexus that are not apparent in the XG.

I was very active in the ClubLexus web site and can assure you that ALL LS400's from 1990 through 2000 model years had temperature control deficiencies in the automatic climate control system that are significant and ridiculous. It is an insult to owners that Toyota corp never bothered to fix it. And, to add insult to injury, if you look at the list of "enhancements" that they touted for LS430, fixing this is among them!! In contrast, I have no serious problems with the way that the automatic climate control works in the XG. (We have now had XG350L for two years and 30,000 miles, operated over wide a outdoor temp range).

Also, the 1999 LS400 has the notorious "throttle by wire" feature, and this results in some pretty bad driveability problems when accelerating from stop. Specifically, when transmission shifts from first to second gear, there is a period of startling deceleration before the car starts accelerating again. I have confirmed this design defect through two Lexus dealer service departments and other owners at the ClubLexus web site. The XG has some oddities when it comes to control of the transmission, but they are nowhere near as aggravating as what we experienced with the Lexus.

When I said sayonara to the folks on the Lexus web site, suggesting that one might legitimately compare LS with XG, of course I was flamed unmercifully, but believe me there is some legitimacy in that when you consider the difference in price!!!

By the way, my wife often will take a group of rather jaded design engineers to lunch in her XG, and it is commonplace that (a) they have no idea what kind of car it is, and (b) they guess that it most probably is a Lexus.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Have you seen the latest JD Power results today? It will make you smile! Just hope they keep Chrysler away!

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0404/28/autos-136648.htm

fastdriver
  • abhi1abhi1 Member Posts: 1
    A new comer here and planning to buy XG300 . Its the best car i have driven. It really compares with Nissan, lexus and even mercedes. i had a taurus and its no way near it. i am not sure about problems with engine or electrical component or even transmission part of it. it has a few junks on the hinges of doors and bonnet and also the horn .
  • hugohugo Member Posts: 6
    We are looking for a car and there was a nice article in the local newspaper about the XG350. Remembered that a guy I used to know, who worked for a US car mfg, rented this car a while ago. We rode in it and it was a nice car! My colleague complained about his car company not being able to come with a similar car for the price.

The only fear I have is about the reliability. Are there any data about reliability of this car? We got an offer of 21,560 for the XG350L which sounds like a good offer. Any comments? Any info about reliability would help. For example should one buy extended warranty as it seems that the Hyundai bumper-to-bumper warranty does not cover as many parts as it should.

Thanks for the help.

cheers
    My friend owns an 04 XG350L and has been very happy with it. No problems so far. It's a beautiful car and feels like its well built. It will be hard to find any longterm reliability data since this car sells in such small numbers.

As for the warranty, the bumper to bumper covers almost everything. The radio and paint aren't covered past 36k, but thats standard across every company. The powertrain warranty covers most of the expensive parts as long as you maintain the car properly. I have owned 2 Hyundais and never felt the need to buy the extended warranty.
    Hugo,

I can't imagine why you think the bumper to bumper doesn't cover as many parts as it should. To my knowledge, and based on the owner info on HyundaiUSA.com, the only items not covered are bulbs, wiper blades and brake linings AFTER the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. That seems darn reasonable to me. The stereo system and tires fall under a separate warranty, the first for three years/36,000 and the tires are covered by a pro-rated warranty through the tire manufacturer...all pretty much normal procedure.

As for history, do a little more research and I think you'll find that abrupt acceleration (throttle position sensor issue) and some transmission logic problems have been the main complaints. Make sure you test drive any car for at least 20 minutes and in city as well as highway conditions, if at all possible. Otherwise, the XG350 is considered a very good value for the money, as long as you plan to keep it at least 4 years, due to low resale. For the same price, though, I'd recommend you also test drive the new Chrysler 300s which are also great values for the money, IMO.
  • hugohugo Member Posts: 6
    Thanks a lot folks. I got a lot of good info and advice. A funny thing happened on the way to the Hyundai dealership. A Kia dealer called me and offered to sell a base Amanti for the same price as the Hyundai dealer was offering for the XG350. I had read in these fora that the Amanti was perhaps a more luxurious car than the XG 350 [don't know if this is true], thought it would be good to buy the Amanti. The Amanti warranty on the internet was quite explicit and stated that the bumper to bumper was warranty was all inclusive as you folks had suggested.

So, off I go to the Amanti forum to record my experiences with that car. It has been wonderful in the first 200 miles.

cheers
    Congrats on the new Amanti!

Please keep us updated here on Edmunds.com with your experiences.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The adventures of hugo and his new Amanti: hugo "Kia Amanti" May 16, 2004 4:32pm

:)
  • johnmjohnm Member Posts: 4
    I received papers filed on behalf of owners of the2001 XG300.The horsepower rage again.Though I
    had already agreed to Hyundai to have them give me another year or 12,000 on my warranty,this suit seeks more.Hyundai has agreed to settle by offering a debit card for $100.00 or the option of
    $135.00 credit at a Hyundai dealer for parts or service good for two years.They had mistated H.P.
    by 10.192 instead of 182,the true horse power for
    the '01.The suit was filed in CA,so I don't know who is covered.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    The coverage is nationwide.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • jetlagjetlag Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the info.however,other XG350 owners claim to be getting about 25mpg.or better.my dealer says nothing is wrong,just grin & bear it.
  • plumbeeplumbee Member Posts: 2
    If you requested other options they would have paid one month of a vehicle loan or offered another cash equivalent. You accepting a check from Hyundai is what they needed for compensation to their contractual misrepresentation of the horse power. You could have voided the sale all together if you really wanted to fight them on it.

On another note, beside reading how batteries burn out quickly has anyone experience other problems relating back to the electrical system?
    How do you back out of a sale after 3 years?I live in hot climate,so
    batteries don't last more than a year or so.I now have a Die Hard with 3 year full replacement guarntee,Hyundai does not even offer a comparable one.
  • plumbeeplumbee Member Posts: 2
    Johnm,

When you buy a vehicle you are enterint into a contract. There are 3 basic parts to every contract. 1) Offer 2) Acceptance 3) Condideration.

If a you accept an offer based in incorrectly publish information, that is material misrepresentation and thus you accepted offer is voidable, even if 3 years after the offer was accepted. If one was willing to get a lawyer to fight it out, you could have one. It is the same premise for Lemon Laws. You accepted an offer for a functional vehicle not something that doesn't work.

There is your Business Law 101 lesson for the day.
  • jolijoli Member Posts: 1
    I've driven 2 copies of the 350 and each had brakes that shuddered at times (as did a Kia Amanti I drove). Is this a persistant problem as it may keep me from buying this car that I otherwise like? Would really appreciate responses.
    We have 37,000 miles on 2002 XG350L, and have no complaints about the brakes.

By the way, just replaced the original Michelin tires with a set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-H P205/60R16, and indications are that they are going to be outstanding.
  • rgrrgr Member Posts: 7
    Have a recently purchased 2004 XG350L (one month), and have there has been absolutely NO shudder, vibration, grabbing, and/or "anomalies" from the braking system/components. Frankly, after driving numerous other brand/model vehicles (+40 years) find the XG350L braking performance superb. Moreover, have done a LOT of stop/go (constant usage/heat, etc.) in my travels every day, and there has been no occurrence of anything (shudders,..) but great performance. The Electronic Brake Force Distribution feature really does quite well..
    As a historical note- Hyundai even increased the brake disc size (for 2004 model year) to achieve even enhanced/expected capability..
    I've been driving my friend's 04 XG350 this week. It has 6900 miles and there is no sign of rotor warpage. The brakes work well.

My only complaint with the car is the extremely aggressive throttle. It lunges off the line real fast if you don't feather the throttle lightly. You have to concentrate to get a smooth slow start. The upside is, the power is quite impressive and puts a grin on my face. It's just annoying sometimes when you don't want or have the room to get near full throttle acceleration.
    Appreciate your re-affirmation of the XG350L's brake performance; to me one of the best (if not overly agressive..) systems I've encountered.
    Particularly took note of your issue with the XG350L's throttle- I've discovered similar operating aspects. For me: on "fast" starts, just great accleration, power/torque quite good and pleasing; on "slow" starts (dense traffic, erratic speed/stops due to other vehicles..), I find it somewhat difficult to achieve a "light"/smooth acceleration sequence, and to my tastes an overly long shift pattern for 1-2. Like you, find that "feathering" lightly achieves an OK (not great result).
    I'm having the dealer take an intense look at the XG350L Transaxle and throttle system (underway now), to see if some adjustments can be done to possibly the: TCM, adaptive learning, ratios, etc. or combinations thereof.
    Hopefully, there'll be a good positive result or at least some minor improvement (power is great; but in it's proper time/place)...
  • blackrussianblackrussian Member Posts: 29
    I purchased a XG350L this past Sat. mainly based on what comments were made here about this car, the positive remarks out weighed the negative remarks by a rather large margin and so far I am very happy with it, my wife and I bought it to replace a 93 Lexus ES300 which has been a pretty reliable car and we were planning on buying a new Lexus in the near future but for the price difference, a new Lexus ES330 could be bought for about 33,500 after the haggling process was over, and this car has almost everything a Lexus has plus rides just as nice, the problem I am having is this, maybe someone here can help me out on this one, on the Edmunds site it says the TMV(True Market Value) is a little less than 22,000 with the 2500 rebate that Hyundai is currently offering, they say this is the price other people are paying, I will assume they mean the average amount, I have read some comments here whereas some have gotten the car for as little as 20,000 fully equipped in some parts of the country, I paid 22,050.00 for our car thinking that was a good deal based on what Edmunds said. Are these people that paid as little as 20,000 for this car the exception to the rule and does this mean some people paid as much as 24,000 for this car to get an overall average of app. 22,000, is this what Edmunds is trying to tell me, or are they wrong and I paid too much for this car. Thank You, Phil
    First, congratulations on your new XG350L- your research, goals, and end-results were quite similar to mine. Overall, the XG350L is certainly (in my opinion)a superb value and a very competitive (features, quality, warranty, etc.) vehicle...
    A few direct questions on your XG350L purchase/options, did you get: the 8 CD in-trunk item? Carpeted mats?, rear mudguards?, any other accessories/options? Does your $22,050 include everything other than tax-license?
    Overall, I'd say you're in the "ballpark". Prices for autos are dependent on a LOT of variables: model, "success" of model, time of year-month-week, dealership inventory, area dealers-competition, etc.
    I find the "steals", "way below invoice" experiences great for those who can acheive such. But, they are in my opinion not the norm.
    I find the TMV a good "guide" and reference point, which provides a starting point for a somewhat informed consumer.
    Hi rgr, yes, the price of $22,050 included the 8-cd in-trunk plus carpeted mats and front splash guards, and yes again that price included everything except the usual add on charges for documentation and etc. of $95.00. Rear splash guards I had added on at my expense of $61.00, $28.00 for the guards and the rest in labor and taxes. This particular dealership only had two left and the one I bought came off the showroom floor, so far I am in awe of it for the price, keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks and Take care, Phil
  • msxg350msxg350 Member Posts: 3
    I'll add my congratulations on your new purchase as well. I bought my XG350L one month ago without the 8 CD in the trunk, but with the carpets and rear mud guards. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago and ended up getting the most aggressive pricing at Chicago's highest volume Hyundai dealer. They were $800 below dealer invoice, and I also qualified for the $500.00 loyalty discount which made it an even sweeter deal. I found that other dealers would only go $300-500 under list, and then try to steal my trade in. I ended up getting the $800.00 under list, and then negotiating my trade in seperately, to get a true cost on the new car. My daughter bought a Sonata two weeks before I bought my XG350L, and she got the best price at a small dealer who not only was $500 under invoice but gave her $1,000 more for her trade in than anyone else would. I can't explain pricing by these dealers, but you are in the "ballpark" as RGR said. Enjoy the car as much as I am!
  • bluesky3bluesky3 Member Posts: 9
    Haven't been to this board in a while. Glad to see that it still some what active. Just couple of things to report on my 2002 XG (30k mile)

1) Battery died out for no apparent reason. Have it recharged - but if I don't drive it for a couple of days - battery is drained but still have enough juice to start the engine.
    (Sorry being lazy here - anyone know if I can still get it replaced under warranty?)
    2) Possibly warp brak disc - I started to notice the vibration when braking at high speed (70mph). But below 60 - no vibration when braking.

Will need to get it looked at next time I'm at the dealer.
    Also glad to see that the XG350 board is active- wish it were more so.; perhaps owners are enjoying their XG350's rather than reporting "issues"..;-> Hope so.
    As regards your two points:

1) From extensive review of multiple Hyundai forums and usenet, batteries are a known issue throughout model lines. So much so that it has been reported Hyundai switched their OEM to a provider of better quality/reliability. Best info I have is that this occurred about 15-18 months ago.
    a) Directly from Hyundai's warranty specs-
    "Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)"
    b) so, depending on your actual date of purchase you may be 100% AOK; or at the very most- paying 75% of parts cost for battery only..
    2) Rotors on all XG350's were increased AFTER the 2002 MY to specfically address problems of wear/warpage (size increased from 10.5 to 12 in.)
  • gsenftgsenft Member Posts: 9
    I also just purchased a XG350 this past week. I did not want the 350L version, as heated seats are not needed here in Florida and my wives car has a moon roof and I do not think we have ever opened it. So we saved over $1000. I paid for my XG $19,400 which included floor mats and rear mud guards. With Sales tax,title the total out the door price was $20,750 I know the L version lists for about $1500 more, so I would say you are in the ballpark. The most annoying thing I have discovered so far is there is no brightener for the air conditioning panel lights or the radio lights.---If you know how to brighten these, I would appreciate some help. I have the main dimmer turned up to max but the bright sun here in Florida is too much. The only solution that I can think of is to get windows tinted??? The only other situation was the garage door opener in the miror can not be set as I was told it will not set to garage doors older than 1987 After dealer tried to set for over an hour!--Mine is original from 1978 still--This is not a big deal but would have been nice.
    Hi gsenft, I wish I could tell you there is an additonal dial to turn the lights brighter on the ac and radio but I haven`t found one either, my 350L comes with tinted windows and yet the ac and radio lights are hard to read at times on an especially sunny day, are you telling me that on your 350 it is not a standard item to have the windows tinted from the factory, I thought all cars had tinted windows nowdays. I do know that the tinting you can buy from detail shops as after market purchases is extremely shaded and may be the answer for you. Sorry to hear about your garage door opener, that sucks, if it was me I would buy a new opener, they can be had for as little as app. $130.00, it would be well worth it, I programed mine and it works fine, but my opener is not that old, I have two other vehicles and they both have their own remote so this worked out perfectly. Subracting the sales price on your car and I think you got a great price, with sales tax on mine it was $23,266.00, I also got the $800.00 extended warranty for 10 years bumper to bumper, it may come in handy as we don`t get new vehicles that often. I put about 60 highway miles on mine today and I felt like I was driving a $70,000 Lexus430, this car is unreal for the price,(so far, keeping my fingers crossed) Take care, Phil
    Congratualtions also on your new XG350L purchase. Unfortunate result regarding your garage door opener-Homelink incompatibility. To put things in perspective on the opener "issue":

1) Your garage door opener is +26 years old! Considering that period of history- don't (I wouldn't) expect any "remote" based component to be compatible. This was pre-wireless, pre-cellular, pre-FCC bandwidth re-allocation, almost pre solid-state, etc.
    2) Surprised that the Hyundai-Homelink system would be compatible with systems +18 years ago. Great! My expectation would have been 10 years or less...

Enjoy you new XG3560L....
    The way I read the maintenance charts ---the 60,000 applies only to California. Regular replacement is over 100K
    I had to write and tell you that the garage door opener(Homelink) is now working. I called the Homelink 800 number that was in owners manual. They said that based on my serial and model Number it should work---just put a new battery in remote and program---took about 10 seconds. Yes, all the windows are tinted but need to be a lot darker here in Florida to read the controls---I can see them perfectly when I start up in garage--so I just make sure everything is set right before I pull out. The extended warranty price you got is great! My dealer wanted $1200 but $800 would have been tempting!---I think the dealer said I can still purchase up until I have 5000 miles on car? I also usually keep my cars fairly long in fact I did not need this car but my son-Out of college about a year or 2 now wants my 1996 Crown Vic with around 90000 miles. He paid $300 for his car that looks like a $300 car-- What you do for Family!!!--Its like new--BUT I do like the XG and especially its pep.-George
    gsenft-
    Happy that that you got the results, through persistence/perseverance- simply amazing!
    As regards the lighting for the center dash components- many, many comments and complaints to Hyundai about this. Particularly the Trip Computer's visibility in bright daylight (difficult at best..).
    From other Hyundai forum postings (and pictures) the XG is being remodeled/restyled for the 2006 MY. This includes a completely different center Console look with embedded NAV system as well..
    Again, good show on your positive opening (and closing) result...
    Hi George, that is purely amazing that you were able to get your garage door opener to work seeing as it is that old. If I were you I would check the local detail shops and find out the cost of adding window tinting to the sides and back, there is a law here and I suppose there is one there also that prohibits one from adding too much to the windshield. I`m retired and do not need to use the car on a daily basis, if I did I may be going to a detail shop myself, I live in West Virginia and we don`t have the bright sun as often as you Floridians do. I bet if you tell the dealer you will only pay $800.00 for the extended warranty he will accept it, you could use me as an example. Take care, Phil
    Same laws here on tinting but not enforced from what I have read, I also am retired and probably only take my car out a couple of times a week ---we alternate between my wifes Camry and my car. I might check on the extended warranty---Is it the same as the bumper to bumber(5-60) or are they exceptions???I always worry about a/c here in Florida as I had one replaced years ago at $1000 plus.
    Hi gsenft, I was told the extended warranty was bumper to bumper but I haven`t received the contract yet for the warranty, they said I should receive it within 45 days, I`m guessing now since I have already paid for it and read some on the current warranty where there are some exceptions, there will be some exceptions on it too. I will let you know when I receive it and have read it. I can understand your concern about not having ac in your car living in Florida, I have been there in the summer and it is ugly without ac. We originally bought this car to replace my wife`s 93 Lexus ES300 when she retires in about a year, now she says, two weeks later, she never wants to give up her Lexus and she wants to be buried in it, ha,ha, WOMEN, can`t live with em and can`t live without em, I guess its my car now which is ok with me because it is a great car and good looking also, I got the titanium silver with black interior. Now I have two vehicles, anyone you know want to buy a 95 Toyota 4-runner, ha,ha. Take care, Phil
  • dbronzodbronzo Member Posts: 19
    I own a 2002 XG350L that is a terrific car and a great bang for the buck. I also suffer with "aggressive gas pedal syndrome". The dealer has tried to "tame the tiger" but to no avail so I live with it. No big deal. Just a word of caution on the bumper to bumper warranty, read it. Don't be surprised like me. The radio/Cd is located between the two bumpers but has a different mileage and year warranty than what is always advertised. That's not all either. I've never heard the Hyundai advertised as "5 years / 60,000 miles bumper to bumper except this and except that". Oh no, it's always "5 years / 60,000 miles bumper to bumper". Let the buyer beware. All the parts between the bumpers are not all covered equally as they would have you believe. I just wish that what they say would be the same as what's in the fine print. Still overall the car is a terrific value for the money, I'm not a disgruntled buyer, and am very happy with the car.
    I think anyone who paid less than $24,000.for one
    got a super deal.I paid $ 24,900.for my 2001 XG300
    with mats,trunk net and moon roof.At the time only 2 dealers in area and one known to be bad.
    Hyundai is coming out with a car they claim to be
    known as the " The Camry Basher" sometime in '05.Article also said prices would be raised on ALL Hyundai's down the road,now that they have become known for their quality.
    HI johnm, In reality the price you paid in 2001 for yours was not that bad, probably the norm, maybe I forgot to mention and some others did as well, that the prices we paid for ours was with a $2500.00 rebate that Hyundai was offering each year, I gather they do this at different intervals, we just happen to catch them at the right time. Have you had any problems with yours or has the service manager tried to take advantage of you on the warranty service and performed more on the car than it warranted at that time? Phil
    NO PROBLEMS WITH CAR.hAD 2 MINOR RECALLS,PLUS THE
    ABS SENSOR WAS DEFECTIVE THE FIRST YEAR.OTHER THAN THAT ITS BEEN GREAT. YES DEALER DID RECOMMEND
    A $349.00 30 MONTH/ 30 ,000 MILE SERVICE,EVEN THOUGH THE CAR ONLY HAD 15,00 MILES ON IT. I MENTIONED TO MY SALESMAN THE POTENTIAL RIP-OFF,AND HE GAVE ME THE NAMES OF 2 FORMER TECHS
    "ONE A MASTER MECHCANIC"AND THE OTHER 8 YRS.EXPERIENCE ON HYUNDAI'S,IN BUSINESS FOR THEMSELVES. TOTAL COST $ 150.00.
    Very Interesting, seems to be the norm around the country at dealerships, I`m sure mine is just as bad, I`m wondering though since you had the work done by a private mechanic will this void your warranty if you so need it, when or if something goes wrong. Thanks, Phil
    Hyundai cannot void the warranty if you take your car elsewhere as long as you keep receipts proving the preventative maintenance was done. If the other shop broke something on the car, Hyundai would have to prove it was their fault before denying coverage under warranty, at which time you would go back to the shop who damaged the car and demand that they fix it.
    I was keeping my fingers crossed but I guess that was not enough, this morning when leaving I turned the lights on seeing as it was raining hard, it took almost a mile before the dash lights come on, I then drove it about 4 miles and then stopped for business for about 10 minutes, I then started it up, the dash lights were working when I turned the headlights on but then all I got from the cd or the radio was static, I went home and tried it an hour later and everything worked fined, hmmmm, I then called the service manager at Hyundai and told him my situation, he said he could make an appointment for me 4 days from now but it would be better if it is acting up so they may be able to trace it down better, so much for them being trained so they could fix it from what I told them was happening, I then asked the service manager if he had a loaner car for me when I brought mine in, he said all 4 of his loaners were loaned out and if I wanted one maybe the salesman that sold me the car could get me one if "I" contacted him myself, I guess this service isn`t in the service managers agreement with Hyundai or the dealer. I paid a lot more for my wifes Lexus in 93, but after all those years the few things I did have go wrong with it were ultimately taken care of and I was treated much better as a customer and the service manager there took care of all the little details, especially seeing as the car is only 3 weeks old with 350 miles. This just "made" my day, if you know what I mean.