Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• tevyatevya Posts: 2
    yes. have had the identical problem. just won't do it for the service tech @ the dealership
  • tevyatevya Posts: 2
    south florida roads. lots of water. looking a quite ride if that is possible. have dunlop 205/60/R-16's
    any recommendations?
  • See message #1692. I still think they are terrific tires for XG.
  • johno111johno111 Posts: 114
    Have a 2001 XG, first repacement set was Bridgestone RE750's, greate in the rain you can run thru 3 inches of water and the care will not move on you, the are very very sticky and never slide or fishtailed with them. They are a little loud. But you pay the price, they don't wear very well, only got about 15 k on them. Second set that I currently runny are those new Goodyear Assurance Comfort tread, so far very well pleased with these, grip in the rain is pretty good. They sell another Goodyear Assurance that has a pretty agressive tread design and they should be execellent in rain just like the Bridgestone RE750's but alot cheaper. Check on the tirerack.com there are alot of comments on all three of these tires.
  • chiefwochiefwo Posts: 1
    Autoheadlights...They operate normally as you describe. I do not use the function but leave mine on all the time because all accessory and most other power is removed when the igniton is turned off and one leaves the car. If you want the lights to function in the auto mode, I am afraid you will have to be annoyed by that quirk. Note that they don't come on when it rains or in subdued light.
    Speakers... Sounds like a bad amp to me. Look at the wires on the rear speakers to see if someone inadvertently knocked them loose or pinched them.
    Seats...The book says the parking brake must be set for the auto seat function to work. Set your parking brake and check to see if your indicator light on the dash lites. Also watch for it when the system does it's diagnostic when the ignition switch is set to run and not start. :) ;)
  • tom49tom49 Posts: 1
    I'd like to buy a XG350. How's the price of XG350? Is there anyone who have bought a XG350 recently can let me know the price? It would be very helpful for me. I mean the price is the out the door price. Thank you.
  • jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 5,540
    Reply to #1765
    I bought an XG350 (not an L) at the end of April 2005 in the Pittsburgh PA area of Monroeville for $19,500 plus tax. I thought this was a pretty good price and still feel that way but if you buy now since its a little later in the model year you might do better at least in this area. I did have two dealers competing with each other (one via an internet quote) and I know this helped. Each one claimed to be losing money matching and doing better than the other guys price but since each one was willing to lose money to get a sale, I wasn't going to stop them from continuing with the competition. Unfortunately, after a couple rounds of this, it did end and I was forced to buy at the last price especially since this was a good bit better than the Edmunds TMV price at the time.

As you know, anytime you buy a car you have to be somewhat prepared because the dealers are and since they're in business to make money no matter what you pay, it is ALWAYS good enough for the dealer or they aren't going to sell. What we the buyer are trying to do is get the best deal at the time we buy. There is probably a better deal out there somewhere but how much time and how far are you willing to go to get it ? Once you have done your homework that's all you can do. Don't let the shiny new sheetmetal and new car smell cloud your reasonable judgment, there is always another car at another dealership. On the other hand, if you just have to have 'that car' don't worry about the deal, just buy it you'll learn how to live with it.

So far I'm satisfied with my XG350 but why shouldn't I be it only has 1300 miles on it !!!. The real test and as I noted in the Hyundai survey, "how reliable will it be 3 or 4 maybe even 10 years from now" (yes, I do keep my cars for a while). Having said that, I have experienced the 'Hyundai throttle by wire quirk' and I plan to have this looked at soon. It's not bad just annoying. I was just trying to hold off on this to see if anything else crops up. So far so good and I won't try to diswade you from buying an XG350 because I do like everything about this car, just be prepared when you shop.

Sorry if I went on too much, it's just my second bad habit (the other one is being ripped-off by car dealers).

jmonroe

'09 Genesis V8 and '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• philk1philk1 Posts: 2
    I have a 04 XG350L which I really enjoy driving. I have driven lincolns, caddy's even a Jag in recent years. I like the XG350L as well as any of them, actually better. They are good looking, comfortable, with plenty of moxie. I do hear a little front end shock noise that at 10,400 miles should not be there. I only hear this on choppy city streets. I think the tranny shifts a little strange with the extra low ratio 1st gear. It is ok if you don't punch it hard off the line, just gently taking off, it is hardly noticable. My question to other owners, do you experience this agressiveness of 1st gear, especially when the car is cold? So far in 10,500 miles I have not had a single failure problem of any kind. :D
  • derbergderberg Posts: 4
    While our car had about 35,000 miles on it, the tranny downshifted roughly from 5th to 4th too, but under a different circumstance -- when slowing down from 50 or so to about 30 or 35. There was no shudder in the car, just the rough downshift.

As I recall, the dealer's service department traced it to a bad speed sensor and/or reset the electronic controls. Every once in a while now it does it, but less harshly. The cause seems minor and we bought an extended warranty, so I'm not worried about it.
  • derbergderberg Posts: 4
    Our '02 XG350 has a very touchy gas pedal, and maybe what you're experiencing is actually that. I have to be careful in starting out from a dead stop, especially if I haven't driven it in a while. I prop my foot against the tunnel to the right and ease on the pedal. I wish this were changeable, but I guess it's not.
  • Yes, our '02 XG350 has the same touchy gas pedal that others have remarked about. I have owned about 50 different cars and cannot recall any other that behaved anything like that. Still, although it does take a bit of getting used to, I think that it is not really a problem and, in fact, is rather entertaining, producing the illusion that the car is a better performer off the line than it really is. And, although most published road tests have dismissed the XG as being uninspiring to drive, I continue to feel that on balance it is rather fun to drive.
  • philk1philk1 Posts: 2
    I don't think my situation is a touchy gas pedal, although I can definetly see the correlation. If I stand on mine, there is rather pronounced acceleration, with a some what rough shift out of low gear. If I just ease off the line it shifts right away and is not objectionable. I find this more pronounced if the engine is cold. I can attest the accelerator is some what touchy and revs come quickly.
    I also find the XG350 to be an excellent performer on the highway in passing and in general acceleration. I drive a super charged Buick Regal and find the XG350 real close for over all performance. The kick down on the XG350 is not as robust as the 3.8 supercharged, but then it isn't as big. Thanks to both of you for responding to my inquiry.
  • gsenftgsenft Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 XG350 that had similar problems as yours and many others I have read about. I took my car to dealer with 6200 miles on it for my second free oil change and rotating of tires. Since my 1 year was almost up, I asked for a new grommet that held net up and to check door alignment and mentioned transmission problems. I told them, that I saw on one of the web sites, that there was software available to fix problem. They stated it depended on my cars vin # if it needed the upgrade software. It appears that my vin # was one that needed the software updates. They down loaded or loaded software into engine but still did not fix problem, They then did a complete xmission flush also. That did not fix the aggressiveness either. Finally after 2 hrs they gave me a loaner as they said they were working with the Hyundai tech people and had to try some other things. Well ,they called me at home later and told me they got authorization to replace the transmission and it would take several days to get and install. I got car back after several days and what a difference!!! It shifts like you expect a car to. I even have to push gas pedal a little now and it shifts thru first 2 gears really fast. So I am glad I have access to the tech bulletins etc and spoke up. The service mgr stated they only check the xmissions if the customer complains. I can now feel comfortable letting strangers park my car now, as I was afraid they would drive right thru walls. I am now letting wife drive etc. I never felt that that aggressive gas pedal was safe. I now enjoy my 350 more than ever!
  • jang3jang3 Posts: 10
    About a week ago, while I was approaching a red light.... there was little 'jolt' and 'check engine' light came on. Then my XG seem lose some of its power. (Its 2001 model with little over 50,000 miles on it.)

I took into a dealership next morning.... Few days later, the service advisor told me the WHOLE transmission need to be replaced. I was frustrated about having major surgery!

The next morning, 5th day in the shop, I was informed the car was fixed, somehow.
    A 'district technician' stopped by the dealer and found bad connection at speed sensor.

It would be few thousand dollars waste.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    bought it two days ago. It has 95K miles. Its fog light is not working. Fuse is checked fine. I swapped its relay with one of the other relays of the same type but still not working. The foldback rear seat can't be folded down with lock in "free" position. The seat shoulder button is pressed down, and will not pop back up. The power brake seems to have lot less power assistance compared to most other cars. I wonder if some other owners know the answer(s).

Dealer told me that after the car is bought by a second owner, the 10year/100K warranty is shortened to 5year/50K. Is it true?

Thank for any reply/answer.
  • jang3jang3 Posts: 10
    Fog Light : It only turn on when main head lights are on. Otherwise, check forg light bulb.
    Fold Seat-Back : When its locked, will not open. Button should be poped up when its back to original position.
    Parking Brake : Over time, as rear brake worns out... it may need adjustment.
    Warranty : Dealer is correct. Unless its ownership transfers to 'close' relative, such as daughter, the 10 year/ 100K mile warranty is not transferable.
    Thanks a lot jang3.

Actually I was not talking about the paking brake, but the brade that I need to slow down the car when driving. It does not provide enough power, meaning I have to step on it harder than I do on most my other cars. Brake fluid tank is at max. Maybe due to the slipping belt?

Seems like to access to fog light bulb, I have to go underneath the car...

I did unlock the switch on back side of seat back from the trunk. "free" is in upper position. It does not work.

I'll just have to take some time to fix them one by one...
    Except I got something to fix, this car drives wonderfully, compared to its price. It's so quiet, very close to my 00 RX300. Most noise comes from the road.

Later if I decide to buy a new sedan, Hyundai will be on my shop list.
  • beemer3beemer3 Posts: 3
    Vistar, We are having similar problems. Would love to hear how the new car is performing since last post, having the same problem?

Also, what did the dealer try to fix and what did they tell you was problem? They tell us they have never heard of this and since can't recreate problem (they have had car for the 4th time in less than 1200 miles and have put over 500 miles on it themselves) they have no idea what to do.

We are very frustrated, wife is afraid to drive the car, almost rear ended during last occurannce. Hyundai not very responsive. Consumer affairs says there is no one we can escalate this to?????

Anyone else have a response? What to do?

Thanx
    The piece below the top arm rest lid is cracked where screws hold it. I asked dealer and found it's ~ $500 ! Dealer got shocked too. I think it'd a design issue. the studs and their adjacent walls are too thin to hold screws well. I will see if I can come up with a fix myself, using epoxy with some reinforcer.

The front cup holder lid always pops open, whenever there is a little shake to its neighbor.
  • vistarvistar Posts: 4
    Beemer--

Bad news regarding the replacement car. I haven't posted anything because I figured no one on the board would ever believe it. The replacement car is doing the exact same thing. I drive heavy miles and in 9800 miles since March 22 swap date, I have logged 53 incidents ranging from minor lurches, to starts in high gear, moving forward slowly and then dropping into low gear with a huge lurch, to 2 to 5 strong lurches in a row. In the worst case the car "laid rubber" and I took it in to have engine mounts checked. The dealer wants nothing to do with me and actually said, "It's the way you drive the car." They have yet to log one single comment about my complaints on the second car. They claim the car cannot be serviced, and that unless an employee of the dealership can duplicate while driving my car, the Hyundai Motor Company will not allow any repairs. (This is a breach of contrat- I have a premium warranty for 100K bumper to bumper service) They have also not allowed repairs on the original car--- that's frosting the dealer as he can't resell it with an unconfirmed defect. He reports he has had 7 different employees drive it and over 1500 miles they can't duplicate it. I have explained that certain conditions need to occur and even then it is not totally predictable. He jus twalks away and ignors me.
    Out of fear that there will be an accident or injury, I have logged every start with the second car going back to mile 6. I record the odometer mileage, the engine compartment temperature and time of day and describe the start as "clear" or summarize the incident. (More than 500 entries so far). I have e-mailed the log periodically to the dealer so they can't claim I never made them aware of it.

If I were the dealer I would be very concerned about liability if anything goes wrong.

Also - I finally got another driver to duplicate it. Last week, I loaned the XG350L to another driver for a 30 mile trip and she let it sit for about 2 hours after arrival. The temperature outside was cool... and she got the scare of her life when she started the car, put it in drive and touched the gas pedal. She said the lurch was so fast and so violent that she wasn't even sure if she touched the pedal.. it was like a flash going off.

Be sure to file your complaint at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ We are not alone. You will find others just like it. With enough complaints, Hyundai is going to have to quit sandbagging this serious safety issue and address it.

Also, since I have been struck by lightning twice (and considering the low defects per million vehicles, that's about the correct odds) I have been invited to appear live on the Car Concerns radio program to be broadcast on subscribing AM stations (Horne Radio Network) Saturday, July 24 between 1 and 3PM EDT. A recording of the show will be available online at www.fastlanepublishers.com If you can possibly call in during the show, we'll talk about the problem and see if we can get some action going to help us. The tool free call in number is 877-958-5850

Good luck with your car. I don't think Hyundai has a solution for the problem. But with patience we will eventually get this serious safety defect addressed.
  • jjb2jjb2 Posts: 3
    I purchased an XG350 in May of this year. It started the behavior that you talk about in your email almost immediately. I have had it in to the dealership 5 times and get the same responses that you have--cannot duplicate therefore cannot fix. They also questioned by driving. I just laughed because I have been driving for 50 years. Isn't it interesting that there are no other reported cases? I am taking it to the dealership for the 6th time on Monday, July 25th in response to my report to Hyundai that I have reported the car under the Florida Lemon Law. I also sent the report to the Department of Consumer Services, State of Florida. By law Hyundai has 10 days to fix the car. Then I get to go the arbitration. This will be interesting. Yes, the bucking and lurching the car does is very dangerous and scary. Under Florida Lemon Law, they have to either replace the car or refund my money. Of course, I will go for the refund if I get that far. I had a loaner for a week and it did the same thing, so it confirmed the problem for me. And get a load of this, the dealer offered to trade us for another of the same vehicle for an additional $1900. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
    Vistar....oh my gosh, this just floors me. I was hoping for a happily ever after story.

Today the Hyundai District Mgr has gotten involved and is driving the car this evening. I'm sure nothing will happen and they will say sorry, can't fix if can't duplicate.

Will follow up with reporting to the nthsa, thanx for the link.

They continue to say they have never heard of this before. Have shown them this post and asked them to contact dealer in knoxville. Can't believe none of this is in their data base.

Will let you know how it all works out and will try to call radio show Sat.

Beemer
    jjb2...looks like we are coming out of the woodwork. Still can't believe Hyundai claim that nothing in their data base. Although Service Mgr did tell me there has to be a "huge" number of the same issue before they trigger the problem to the engineers. Hopefully we will have no injuries before then.

Unfortunately the Missouri Lemon Law is not as strong as Florida. We have to submit to Hyundai in writing, give them opportunity to fix, go to Hyundai arbitration and only then can we file under Lemon Law.

Keep us posted as to what happens and good luck.

Beemer
    I went under the car front, trying to figure out how to take fog light off. I didn't find the way it is mounted. The only thing I found is how to disconnect the connector. If anyone tells me how I will greatly appriate it.

A mechanic briefly checked the car, found the ABS is not working. He applied the brake hard, but there was no braking pulse from ABS. ABS warning light does not come on. Don't know why.

Early I said dealer quote me the center arm rest lid for $500. I think it's wrong. It must be the entire center console. Two dealers were not be able to find the lid piece price. Looks like it's not that easy as I thought to take the lid off the console.
  • bluesky3bluesky3 Posts: 9
    I haven't posted to this board for a long time since I first got this car. At 43k, couple of minor problems, but nothing major so far. 1) Dash lights went out at 15k (fixed within a day), 2) dead battery at 30k, free replacement by dealer, 3) check engine light came on at 35k - bad speed sensor connection and 4) recently another check engine light came on while on highway - myteriously it went away on the day that I was planning to bring it in (after 3 days). Anyone has any idea what this could be? Probably a loose gas cap.

Overall, we're very happy with this car. We're in the market for a second car, and my wife wanted to go with another hyundai. Wanted to wait for the Hyundai minivan - but can't really wait that long. On well.
  • Own xg350 with 2000 miles and since 200 miles I have noticed a shaking feeling thru the accelerator and foot rest when accelerating moderately, especially just after the car shifts to 2nd gear. Seems worse with AC on, and is not always the same. Sometimes it is very noticeable and other times only faintly noticeable. Often before the engine warms up, I get no shaking at all for the first few miles. Took back to dealer and no one could reproduce the problem therefore, no repairs. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem. Let me know by posting a note.
    Thanks
    fej
    was checked by dealer. They scanned the error code and found it was the rear two ABS sensors. Sensors are good but something blocked them. They cleaned them and said OK now. However, I tested with my heavy foot on the brake, I still didn't get any ABS pumping. Maybe it is the design. The ABS warning light is working fine even before dealer's service. Therefore my question is that why ABS light shows normal when there is error with ABS?

Besides ABS, this car has a long stopping distance than most cars I drove.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    January '05 purchase. $18738 plus tax and license and a $296 document fee for the XG350L with all factory equipment and 23 miles on the odometer. But then I paid an additional $200 for sun and heat reflecting polyester window tint film which was dealer installed. Anti-theft window etching was included in the deal at no charge.
    There was a $3000 total rebate from Hyundai. The rest of the discount was courtesy of the dealer. There was no trade-in car and no factory nor dealer financing shenanigans to obfuscate the cash deal price.
    I wonder if better XG350L deals are possible now that the '06 Sonata is available and the Azera is coming out soon.
    Anyone get a better deal than 70.5% x MSRP with no dealer adds (plus tax, license and doc) ?
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    Nothing was rotten in Denmark.
    The actual deal in January 2005 worked out even better than the advertised price of $18999 for a new 2005 XG350L which had a $26594 MSRP.
    But, that was then, this is now. How much are these cars selling for now? Are there any even left for sale?
    If so, the new 2006 Sonata in GLS or LX trim might be selling for considerably higher prices than the '05 XG350L.
    How about you buyers now? Which is more attractive for your $$ ? A new 2006 Sonata or a new 2005 XG350 ? Which would you pay more for?
    Or are you waiting for the new Azera?