Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• leirexleirex Posts: 50
    I would definitely go for the Acura with no quesiton asked as long as the Acura has no bad history with only 1000 miles on it even if I do not like 2 door sedan. It is based on my experience with the XG300.
  • john00john00 Posts: 27
    I would have to agree with leirex that the Acura would be the better of the two as long as a coupe meets your needs. I did a compare on the Hyundai site and the only major difference is the warranty. But the Acura 4 year warranty's not bad and resale value should be quite good as well.
  • Got a brand new 2003 XG350 with CD changer on Valentines day for $20,303. It also came with mud flaps, cargo net and floor mats. It had 13 miles on it, looking at the date on the plastic was 2/01/03 so its fresh from the factory. Running like a champ but I do notice the accelerator is awfully touchy.
  • Congratulations blewisjr, Great Price for a nice car. It seems that Hyundai still hasn't corrected that touchy accelerator. Your dealer can "reflash' your transmission. It helped me somewhat but not completly. That's my only complaint after one year and 8500 mi. on my "02".
  • Michelein tires have no warantee on tread wear
    anymore which I can't believe.This realy stinks,when mine need to be replaced I too will get another brand.You made an excellant choice
    in the Bridgestone's.
    I really can't complain about the Michelin tires other than the tread life. They give a good ride but wear terrible. Funny how the tread life warranty on Michelin tires disappeared. So it must be true as Robin Williams would put it " We don't care we are French " Now all I got to hope that my transmission on my Ford Explorer doesn't wear out because I think that it's a French tranny.
    Since we finally got a snowy winter this year in the Pittsbugh Pa area, last winter didn't count, I've experienced very poor experiences trying to get up my hill with the traction control on. About half way up the hill the car just stops and you can feel the power being shifted from one wheel to the other and the car just sits there. Once I turn the TCS off I can get up the hill with only smoking the tires a little. What's been your experiences. Maybe next year I'll go the route of putting on a set of Blizzaks.
  • codata99codata99 Posts: 123
    blewisjr, what's the VIN of your XG? The production-to-delivery time frame is almost impossible considering the two-week voyage across the ocean, prep at the port, etc.
  • blewisjr,
    Congratulations! I got mine in Jan. and enjoying it except a couple of minor problems. My dealer "re programed transmission" and now I have smoother start. I still am struggling with making smoooother start but it's better than when I got it first. I never knew that they can change it.
    Guess what, the mechanic did it for me for wrong reason:a noise that I complained. Oh, well.....
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Posts: 81
    [from About Auto Repair] Traction Control
    "Definition: An enhancement of an existing ABS system that prevents wheel spin while accelerating on wet or slick surfaces. It uses the same wheel speed sensors to monitor wheel speed during acceleration, but requires some additional control solenoids and a pump to apply braking pressure to control wheel spin. The traction control system brakes the drive wheel that's starting to spin to shift torque to the opposite drive wheel that still has traction. Most traction control systems only operate at speeds up to about 30 mph..."

Actually, even this is slightly misleading. TCS is really a simplistic directional stability system; it's not, as many people believe, a winter traction device. So it's no wonder you can't get up the hill... the TCS is intermittently applying the brakes, until the car finally bogs down in the snow. It's best turned off until you actually have some traction for it to control.
    Uses one or any combination of the following:
    individual wheel braking
    engine torque reduction(retard ignition timing or/and reduce injection time)
    transmission hold or upshifting.

Speed limit applies only to brake traction control.
    Throttle valve control is also possible through the ETS.
    Thanks for the explanation Jim. I feel better now that I know that it's working the way it's suppose to. I never had a car with TCS before. I still think that I'm going to go with a set of Blizzaks for the next winter. The Bridgestone dealer advertises that they will do change overs for free, I wonder if that includes balancing too because you know that there is always a catch. Thanks again Jim.
  • chelsea3chelsea3 Posts: 1
    My husband and I were in the market for a Hyundai Sante Fe (2003). While searching one dealership, my husband came upon a 2002 XG350L (26 miles). He was offered what he considers to be a great buy, which is $19,800 not including taxes, title and destination fees. The car is fully loaded, but that doesn't mean a whole lot since from what I see it only has about
    $700 worth of extras that are not standard on the XG350L. I think this is not such a great deal as it is technically already 1.5 years old. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? Thanks.
  • mikewesqmikewesq Posts: 32
    Use Edmund's FMV calculator to find the right price for the XG. It should be about $18,100.00

Just click on USED CARS at the top of the screen and put in your info on the car, such as color and mileage, and options. Put in your zip code, and it will give you numbers for private sale as well as dealer retail. Print it out and show it to the salesman. Hang tough and insist that he meet the FMV price.

For the price, it's a whole lotta car. It's essentially unchanged for 2003, so it will still look like a "new" car.
  • mikewesqmikewesq Posts: 32
    I bought my first set of winter tires early this winter. We had an early snow in Virginia, and I had a hunch that we were going to have a bad winter after more than five years of mild winters. Boy, was I right! I replaced the stock Michelins with Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grips (I saved the two Michelins that were still good, but my front tires had worn a lot on the shoulders after 30,000 miles). These Goodyears are great! They love wet roads, snow is no problem. Surprisingly quiet and comfortable ride, almost indistingushable from the Michelin ride. I plan on getting 16 or 17 inch wheels with summer tires to put on once the warm weather comes back, and then I'll keep the Ultra Grips on the stock alloy wheels. I highly recommend them.
  • idforedidfored Posts: 19
    Chelsea3,
    I think that's a good deal. I bought my XG350L 2002 at $21500 in Jan.
    in Bay Area, CA(before tax, regist, after $3000 discount from dealer, $2000 rebate from Hyundai). If a car was never sold to anyone and droven for only 26miles, it is a brand new car. I did not consider mine "1.3 year old" just becaues we are in 2003. But we know dealers want to sell cars with last model year at less price.
  • ray_h71ray_h71 Posts: 212
    Do the XGs currently use a so-called "drive-by-wire" accelerator in which the engine management computer directly controls fuel injection based on accelator position and force to control engine speed instead of a tradional cable attached to a butterfly valve in the throttle body? If so, I've read several recent road tests of other makes, including Mercedes-Benz, with "drive-by-wire" setups in which the testers complained of twitchy throttle response, too. Sometimes the latest whiz-bang technology isn't necessarily a functional improvement. At least Hyundai's aware that some owners aren't comfortable with the throttle response programming supplied originally from the factory and has in place the means to reprogram the engine/transmission's computer.
  • Yes, the XG has drive by wire, and it has caused owners more problems than all other aspects of the vehicle's design combined!

I must take exception to your characterization of this design feature as "latest whiz-bang technology." It was introduced by several manufacturers in the late l980's and has been an unqualified DISASTER. No one has figured out how to perfect this type of linkage between throttle pedal and engine.

My 1990 Lexus LS400 had it, and my 1999 LS400 had it. In both cases there were exasperating side-effects.

One idiotic Lexus rep told me that yes, there were the problems that I had identified, but that that is the price we must pay for the latest technology!

I have heard that Lexus abandoned this design feature in the LS430 after farting around with it for 12 years. I guess they had figured that if Mercedes did it, it must be the way to go, even though any sane person could identify its shortcomings.

Good grief.
  • arpusarpus Posts: 1
    I have paper work signed on a 2002 XG350L at a local dealer...I have not taken delevery yet...I found this forum and now I am concerned...The car drives great...The owner of the dealer ship drove it for 4K...I think all of the things posted here have been taken care of but what about what lies ahead...I believe I could still back out but I do like the car alot.