Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I'm here because I'm a car fanatic and like to read experiences of all sorts of cars, not only the ones I own. With all the reading I do, I absorb quite a lot of info and can often be helpful to an owner of a car I've never even driven. For the record though, my close friend/roommate did own a black 04 XG350 until recently and I considered buying one before I got an 03 Diamante instead. I have driven my roommate's XG350 many times and so I do have some insight into this car.

By the way, he traded it in after about 6 months and 8k. He simply wanted an SUV and bought the XG on a whim. He amazingly got a good tradein deal, so maybe Hyundai is finally showing signs of improvement here. It never saw the dealer and didn't have any problems. However, the accelerator was much too aggressive and I believe the front suspension needed an alignment because the steering wheel was cocked some and the car liked to wander to the right (most likely caused by hitting a curb in a drunken stupor...I know, he's a moron).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry, but there were some messages here that I had to remove.

If you check your Membership Agreement (or the Rules of the Road which are easier to read - linked at the top of the page), you'll see that you can't post names or phone numbers of salesfolks.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • gsenftgsenft Posts: 9
    Phil, The forum monitor here (PAT) erased all my notes to you as we used salesman names etc. Formal names are not allowed---I did get hold of the right person at your dealership and purchased the 10-10 mfr extended warranty for $800. It appears the warranty is also transferable if you should sell car down the road.I agree it is a good insurance policy for down the road---just have to be around for 10 more years! Well thanks for all the input---George
  • Anyone saw this article in USA Today about Hyundai?

The results of a survey conducted by Strategic Vision may surprise some, but probably not many of those in this forum.

Hyundai came in second after Lexus for top brands based on 74,000 car owners' feelings about price, affordability, expected reliability and expected resale value.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-10-03-car-value_x.htm
  • I have owned a 2004 XG350 for one year and it has been very satisfactory overall - definitely a good value at the $21,500 purchase price. The two disappointing features are: (1) gas mileage has been poor. Last tank got 15 mpg in metro driving (mostly surface streets.) On freeway trips, it gets around 24-25 mpg. I had expected a little more. My prior Camry got 20 mpg around town. (2) the dashboard lights (clock, radio) are too dim to read easily in daytime, particularly when wearing sunglasses, I never had that problem with prior cars. Anyone experience these annoyances?
  • Hi griset1, I have owned my 350L for almost 2 months now and while I haven`t checked the exact gas mileage on the car I have noticed it uses more than I expected and as for the dash lights I have a little trouble reading them in bright sunlight also, but I also have trouble reading the dash lights in my wifes Lexus ES300 in the bright sunlight and it cost a whole lot more, I think this is something we are just going to have to live with. The price you paid for yours is really good, I paid $21,800 which I thought was good also. Take care, Phil
  • Its been three weeks today since I took the plunge and traded the loyal '02 Sontata GLS V-6 for a Celadon Green XG350L. What a great car. I've been lucky to have owned a number of nicer cars and the XG is right up there with the Acura 3.0CL I had several years ago. Yes, until you grow used to it, the off-the line throttle action is a little unusual, but I think its more an issue of a very-low 1st gear. The climate control is hard to read with sunglasses on, but hey, its all easy to use and works flawlessly.

I have a 80-odd mile roundtrip commute and this car is even better than the Sonata was. The level of quiet and comfort on our terrible SoCal roads, I-15, I-215 and California 91, is fabulous and the ride and power is outstanding.

All who have looked at it are amazed at level of comfort and appointments and are amazed when they discover the low price.

The comments on this board did nothing but assure me that the XG is as good a product as the Sonata. Thanks to you all.
  • mfullmermfullmer Posts: 819
    Hello all,

Well today I finished the sale of my '05 Toyota Solara SLE Convertible and purchased a used 2004 XG350L. I know people will be wondering this but I replaced the two month old ( :-( ) Solara because I'm going through a relationship breakup and wanted a more practical everyday car that costs nearly $150 month less.

So anyway, it's a silver L with Black interior and thoroughly enjoy this vehicle. It has 17,500 miles on it. I do have a couple of questions for people as they had to order me an owners manual (and floormats).

One of the remotes they gave me doesn't work. I am going to call them about it but does anyone know if it is something I can "program" myself or if I have to get it done by the dealer?

The only keys they had were standard blanks and I'm not even sure if it is the master key (they don't work on the glovebox. haven't tried the trunk yet.). Does anyone know how I go about getting a new master key if I don't have the little metal tag/number for the keys? Also, does anyone know if the master key is a transponder type? I've seen some things on the internet but can't find much information and I know the dealer is going to charge me dearly for a nice black master key.

That's it for now. After having many GM cars and now Lexus and Toyota for a while, I really like the value that XG has and luxury to boot!
    I don't have my owners manual yet so I'll see if anyone out there can help me.

I've had my '04 XG350L since Tuesday and I have some questions about the way things work.

Auto-Headlights: I've had many cars with automatic headlights and they always have a delay to keep from coming on under overpasses, short tunnels, etc. In my XG there is absolutely no delay before the headlights turn on. On the freeway they constantly go on and off under every overpass. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just a malfunction of my system?

Stereo: I'm not sure if my speakers in the back are not working correctly or if it's just the stereo. I have to turn the speakers nearly all the way to the rear to hear anything out of them.

I've seen people post that the drivers seat doesn't move back unless you have the parking brake engaged. Mine is totally different. I have an "Auto" button by the memory buttons. If this button is pushed (green light on), the seat moves back when I turn off the engine, regardless of whether or not the parking brake is engaged. When the switch is off, it does not move back

And this is jut an observation. I have the black leather and I am very disappointed with the quality of it. It feels like plain old vinyl to me.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The master key does not have a transponder. It's a regular key. It sounds like you ended up with copies of the valet key. You can go down to the dealer and have a master key made without the key code but be prepared to show ownership of the car via registration or title. A new key will probably cost $30 or so.

As for the auto lights, they are very quick to turn on so I think yours are operating normally. When I pulled my friend's car into the garage, the lights would turn on instantly as soon as the shade hit the dash.

I think the stereo has a weak amp. For an Infinity system, it just doesn't sound like it has a lot of power. That being said, a lot of sedans use the rear speakers more for bass and the front speakers for the actual sound. I've been in many sedans where the rear speakers aren't even audible unless you sit in the rear seat or transfer all power to the rear. I'd say its just how your stereo was designed to operate.
    Thanks for the reply. I did find out that I do have a copied Master key and the original Valet key. I was using the valet key because I could tell that it was a Hyundai original. Once I started using the other one, I can open the trunk, lock/unlock the glovebox, etc. I did go to a dealer near my office (not the one I bought the car from) and he told me he could get an original black-head Master key for $13.00 but he doesn't know when they come in, they just do (from a locksmith).
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    Re: Auto-Headlights, I find it interesting that you prefer the delay. I actually prefer instant on-off, as long as it goes off as quickly as it came on. I've had a Jeep that took a while before turning on, and I didn't like that when I was driving into a tunnel, in a public garage with other cars possibly approaching around the corner, etc..
  • Yeah, I'm used to the delay. What I find annoying is that I go under about 18 overpasses on the way to work, some very close to each other and thing turns on and off constantly. I guess I don't know why it WOULDN'T delay since just about every other system does it that way.
  • The problems I was having with my 2004 350L seem to be taken care of, according to the service manager at Hyundai, apparently when the car was being assembled someone or a robot arm never tightened the screws on the door striker and when the door appeared to be fully closed it really wasn`t and it was not continually making contact with the button that activates the interior lights and the door ajar icon on the dash and the chimes that I thought was a reminder to attach my seat belt was actually telling me the door was not completely closed but I did not know this, also on the trip into the dealers my power windows stopped working, I was also told from the door not being properly closed that there was a worn spot on the power window line from it vibrating, and it made contact with a metal part and blew a fuse, they put in a new wiring harness for this, now the only problem I have is when my wife uses the car and leaves the car in her seat position it returns to her position as soon as I unlock the door with the remote, all by itself, the only way I have temporarily fixed this is changed my seat position to hers and elimated hers for the time being, this has happened to me 3 times so far. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • johno111johno111 Posts: 114
    Something interesting happened over the weekend. Got a check engine light early in the day, no big deal had one before. But later in the evening I had to make a quick stop to let some deer cross the road. When I went to continue on my merry way and went to press the gas pedal nothing happened. Engine did not rev, tried it in all gears forward and reverse and even in park still nothing. I was as if the gas pedal was not connected. Turned the car off and restarted, still acted the same. So I just parked it and called for a tow for the next morning. When the Tow truck came the next morning I tried the gas pedal and everything worked just fine. Still had it towed to the dealer cause you never know that you might get stuck on the way. Anyone else experience this ? I'll repost once the dealer gets to looking at it. Mondays are always busy and don't expect it to be fixed until tuesday.
  • sartiesartie Posts: 10
    Is this a trend? My experience was similar, but a little different. Just last week, my '02 XG350L was running just fine at about 60 mph on the highway, when I floored it to quickly pass another car. As I merged back into the right lane, I noticed the Check Engine light illuminate, and at the same time I lost almost all gas pedal response. I eased the car into the curb lane and stopped. In this condition, the engine would rev a bit with the pedal partially depressed, enough to go maybe 20 mph, but no more. Thinking, OK, what would I do if my computer acted up, I shut off the ignition, counted to 10 and restarted the car. Full functionality returned, but the Check Engine light stayed on. I checked the gas cap to confirm it was on tight--it was. I completed my trip without incident and brought the car to the dealer the next day.

Dealer replaced (1) the Throttle Position Sensor, and (2) I think it's called the Throttle Servo Drive.

I love this car, but who needs this wierd stuff?
  • johno111johno111 Posts: 114
    Just picked up the car from the dealer. Check engine light was due to P0175, P1147, P1151, P1191, P1193 whatever that means, I asked but didn't get much of an answer he said that the computer had to be reprogrammed. The gas pedal failure solution was to replace the Accel Sensor part no. 35357-3B011. So far so good. My XG300 is still under the 5 yr 60k warranty plus I took the one year 12k extention when they under estimated the HP the other year. So I still have a little over 2 more years to go on the bumper to bumper warranty. Won't think about trading until that warranty runs out, currently have about 27K on it. Probably won't get the bug again until the model changes and only if they keep the 5yr 60K warranty.
  • casdcasd Posts: 4
    THis could be a problem when the Government tightens up the acceptable amounts in the future..

As I person who is looking at buying a car in the next week.. I've notice how much higher Hyundai's eminssions are

I'm looking at:

Chevrolet Impala LS

Buick Lacrosse CXL

Toyota Camary XLE V6

Honda Accorda EX V6
  • casdcasd Posts: 4
    Update..

On Cars we are looking at..

Of course the Sonata LX and XG350L because of the Holiday weekend we haven't driven them yet

But we've drove the Toyota Camary XLE V6

Didn't care for it..felt like a small car..road noise, Bland looking.. Off the List.. Why would I pay $26,000 plus for this ??

Chevy Impala LS loaded,Leather etcc., Nice, fast, but not refined, small back seat and not much thigh support.. Stays on the list though can buy for $24,000

Will drive the Hyundai's and Buick LaCrosse and Lesabre this week

Decided not to get too excited about driving the Honda due to it's similar size to the Camary..

I'm still concerned with the eminssions rating of the Hyundai's
  • nornenorne Posts: 136
    you may want to hold off on the hyundai just yet. All new sonata will be released for the US market within the next 6 months.