Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• I'm wondering if someone else out there is having the same problem as I am with my 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero. Overall it has been a GREAT car with one exeption: I have owned it for 18 months and have replaced 6 (six) Pirelli Z rated tires on it. I keep getting bulges in the sidewall(s) that the manufacturer calls road damage and won't replace. We Live in Richmond Virginia (no hills or off-roading here) and the car is really driven only in the suburbs or the highway. Yet about every 3 months, one of the tires has to be replaced (at $300 dollars a pop). The dealer told me getting bigger rims and a different kind of tire would defeat the purpose of the car's design, but these pirellis are getting expensive. Anybody know if putting different rims and a different tire is an option? Thanks
  • yngveyngve Posts: 12
    Sounds like you've got a problem...but I'm curious about a few things:

1) Why keep replacing the tires with Pirellis? There are plenty of other manufacturers out there. Check out tirerack.com for their reviews.

2) Why replace both wheels and tires? Going larger than the 17" wheels on your Aero would likely yield a harsh(er) ride, and make the (very expensive) wheels more susceptible to road damage due to the short sidewalls on the tires. Stick with the 17's, and head for something other than Pirelli.

SYJ
  • I am partial to Saab although I have not owned one for years. I am in the market for a reasonably luxurious car that is fun to drive.

Pro: A lot of content for the money (try pricing a comparable Cadillac CTS or some of the imports), excellent safety ratings, a proven platform, excellent MPG for the power, a good local dealer (have to check on that some more), a unique vehicle.

Con: An obsolescent platform, GM policies for warranties, higher maintenance costs than I am used to, no rear side air bags.

Unknowns: how reliable now, build quality, is this a good buy for a guy who normally keeps a car eight years or more.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
  • yngveyngve Posts: 12
    I haven't had my 9-5 long enough to be authoritative, but I would offer you the same advice my dealer offered me - find an off lease CPO 05, and you'll have a longer warranty than if you bought a new 06. In my research, Saab's CPO plan is the best in the biz.

Good luck...
  • wthmwthm Posts: 4
    Saab's are definitely unique compared with other cars, and have a lot of features for the money. However long term reliability has been a problem. Like other reader suggests, we bought a 9-5 (2001) off lease, certified (6yr/100K) warranty, got a good deal. GM was actually good in honoring warranty. But such poor reliability, car kept going into shop, traded it in early, lost a lot of money on the trade-in (depreciated at 6000 per yr x 3yrs we owned it = 18,000!). Consider leasing it instead, I wish I did.
  • ffb13ffb13 Posts: 181
    in my 2000 aero i have the oe xm m or is it mxm anyhow ,the first set gave me over 62,000 miles and i had 5k more left on it.

the second set has 42,000 miles and not even 50% wear .

i have always had problems with pirelli in my other cars so i avoid them.they do not have the quality of the michelins.
  • ort11ort11 Posts: 4
    Please see the following link for a VERY detailed information sheet on the 9-5 audio setups. The "normal" AS2 style is Pioneer across the board. The AS3 system's are HK amps. etc.

http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml#as_manuf
  • bc92bc92 Posts: 1
    I have a Saab 9-5 that I am currently experiencing problems with. The car will not turn over. The battery is fine. It just won't start. I checked the direct ignition and there is a yellow film on it. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think that the direct ignition is bad?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi, welcome. Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

You might also want to post this in our "No Start" Problems discussion while you're waiting to see if someone here can help.
  • Now I understand...I had no idea about the DI recall until I read this forum. I have a 2001 95 Aero CPO...the DI "went bad" two weeks ago while on the parkway going about 70, everything shut off, couldn't restart and had to coast to the shoulder...tried to restart twice and got a lot of smoke from under the hood and burning wire odor...had it towed to a dealer who said the DI "shorted," which in turn fried the wiring harness (hello GM!?), he said "we get them all the time..." Heads up, there was no warning, it just happened.
  • 400hp biopower twin turbo 3.0L V6 AWD

imageimage
  • My wife and I hate the car buying experience. So in our 24 years of marriage, we have owned two cars each. We drive them into the ground, then go get another one.

It has been 13 years since my last car (a 1993 Mazda 626). And I had almost talked myself into buying another Japanese car--a Honda Accord (sensible, practical, and really quite nice.) It had the three things I really wanted this time--leather, heated seats, and stability control (with the EX V6).

But I just couldn't do it. And so I started looking for alternatives. And as I did, the infamous Saab depreciation became my friend. For 8k less than the sticker on a new Accord EX V-6, I bought a lease returned 2003 9-5 Linear with the luxury package (HK stereo, memory seat, etc).

First impressions from my first week: I love riding in it. I understand the "long in the tooth" comments about the interior, but my wife has a 96 Volvo wagon, so maybe I have grown accustomed to the look. But frankly, I like it. I have made the stereo adjustment described elsewhere in this forum, and it helped greatly. I love the field of view as I drive, and the sentronic is useful with the steep hills around here (and for the poseur/entertainment factor). And the low-end torque is impressive, even with this base model. I have yet to get up to speed in Seattle rush hour traffic, so my gas mileage has been around 20 (are you 34+ mpg folks screaming through Montana or something?)

Someone in this forum called the Saab a "Swedish Jaguar." By that, they meant it was stylish and unreliable. I agree with the first part of the assessment. Time will tell with regard to the second. But I am willing to bet that the inconvenience will be overshadowed by my change in outlook as I now look forward to the morning commute as an excuse to drive my new-to-me 9-5.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    For anyone who owns a 2006 9-5 with Prestige audio and Navigation, how good does the audio sound and how accurate and intuitive is the Navigation system?

Also, is there any noticeable wind noise at highway speeds, i.e. 70-80 mph?

Thanks.
  • 10 days ago I purchased a Midnight Blue 2002 CPO ARC for $17,900 with Metallic paint, Touring Package (Xenon, Park Assist and Rain Sensitive Wipers), 3 new Michelins (4th one has very little wear on it)

That year they improved safety, suspension, steering, brakes and other components. It has 42,000 on clock and 28 months left on warrenty. Pulled to L a little, they did an alighment, no charge.

With nice seats (ventilated), great sterio (did the suggested modificaions to get all the power, what a difference!) and stability control, this is a nice car for the $. I really like the Xenon lights and seats.

My other Saab, 2001 SE was a very reliable car at 80,000 miles with few problems and I expect the same with the '02.

I highly recommend the '02 and '03's over the earlier model, handles much, much better. ;) :D :D

Jim Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
  • rayz1rayz1 Posts: 2
    I am considering purchasing a 2006 9-5. I am entitled to GM supplier discount. What would my purchase price be if the MSRP were 38.5K?

Ray
  • mayablumayablu Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. 1999, 0-5.
    Replaced fuel sensor, still no good.
    Drive all day, in and out.
    Once in awhile it will not start, strong batt, turns over - just does not kick in.
  • bach63bach63 Posts: 18
    I am interested in looking at the 9-5, but between 3 dealers in my area, (Denver) they have a total of 7 cars between them. Does anybody know if deliveries of the '06 models are slow, or are they just selling them as fast as they get them? Thanks for any input.
  • Plenty of sedans here in Maine but not a great selection of wagons, re: 9.5's, '06's Guess wagons have caught on.
  • paulr11paulr11 Posts: 9
    Got rid of my '99 9-5 two years ago. During its first 2 years I was back at the dealer for service 12 times in addition to the scheduled SAAB maintenance. Bought a Toyota Camry. In 2 years of driving (same number of miles in 2 years) I have only been back for scheduled maintenance, NO REPAIRS. Looking at this board after 2 years I see that Saab quality is just as bad as it always has been. These are over designed cars that are poorly built.
  • jaydolljaydoll Posts: 120
    Lease is up very soon on my 2 door and I am looking to get into a four door car that is fun ot drive. So far I have test driven 03 BMW 530 manuals, and 06 330 manuals. The 530 just didn't do it and while I really liked the 06 330, 40K is a hard pill ot swallow.

I have located several 03 aeros with zennons/loaded with 30-45K miles all certified for approx 19500-21500.

Really liked the auto version of this car better than the stick. With the turbo, the sport mode auto had more pep than I could coax out of it with a stick.

02-03 aero owners, what had been your reliability experience?

Thanks for your help.

Jay