Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• i think this decision of yours depends on what you like, but i was not satisfied with the tightness of the 06 9.5 2.3 T, nor the braking response, for some reason my 07 aero seems to brake better than the test driver. i would much rather have the "harsher" ride that the aero package gives, tho it doesn't seem harsh to me. responsive, yes. i love how it sits lower and the seats are very much worth the extra (didn't get the cooling fans) they are very comfy and keep you right in there on corners. performance is a big deal to me and i am estatic about this car. still surprising how many oohs and aahs the fusion blue paint and smart parchment/aero interior treatment i get from audi, bimmer and cedes drivers.

for me, i got a good performance sedan that has enough room for 4 adults (and golf clubs) for $15,000 less than the competition. pricewise this car compares well with the 300 series bmws and a-4s, or starter cedes, but those cars are too small.

because they're not selling so many of these, i can be unusual, even unique, at the golf club parking lot, filled with the aforementioned. this car is a gem and having no problems with it yet. an unloved asset.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    The way to go is a 2005 9-5 Aero with 16k miles fully loaded including rear heated seats, rain sensing wipers, and a rear spoiler for $22,995. Just picked mine up this week from a Lexus dealer, as it was traded in for a 2007 Lexus. Still has 2 1/2 years left on factory warranty. Perfect condition in and out. Only thing missing is the new car smell. But to save over 10k from new, I don't mind one bit.
  • My dealer recommended turning key to "On" but not to "Start", let chime ring three times, then turn to "start". Worked on my 00 Arc, now I will get to test on my 02 Arc. Both are V-6. Do you have 6 or 4 banger?
    I always run Premium but not sure if that matters.

J. McNeil 2002 Arc, Maine
  • I was looking at 02 Aero today and couldn't really tell if it had the Xenon headlights. They didn't look as blue as I remember. Do all 02 Aeros come with the Bi-Xenon headlights? If not, can I change out the bulbs to be Xenon instead of regular halogen? I saw that the option was only $219, so I assume it would be just the bulbs. By the way, the one I am looking at is Saab Certified, with 49k miles and they are offering at $16400. Sounds like a good price to me, but would like to know what you old saab fanatics think. As far as the leather, the seats are very soft and supple, but does the leather wear out quickly on these Saabs? I noticed not wear, but some irregularities in the back seat, almost like the leather is coming off the cushion itself. Any solutions if this is the case? Any other problems as far as the 2002? Otherwise, I thought the car was great very tight with no rattles when driving. Thanks in advance.
  • I have a 2002 9-5 Aero. I love it. At stop signs I hate it. That turbo 4 banger is amazing. Push the sport mode button and stomp on the gas and it really goes. But they probably sell about as many automatics in Europe as we sell manuals here. It's a popular car in Europe, not here. Why? It shakes like a cheap piece of junk at stop signs. Get ready to put it into N every time you stop. If it were a manual you would do that - with an auto they say don't. In N it does not shake as much.

So that is the big downside for me. The upside is that I get about 26 miles per gallon. But that is on premium so it's really not that great. The emissions are probably low - that's a plus. Yeah, it is a rough ride. But it's fun when you push it.

So why do I love it. I'm not your average Joe Shmoe and neither is my car. It dependable - almost no problems. It's fun, comfortable, safe and a good deal.

My Aero has the Xenon lights. I looked at my sticker and it does not mention Xenon so I think it is part of the "touring package" option on my car, or I just missed it. Seems like the leather is holding up good on our car.

I'd buy it again.
  • Just got it this evening. There are a few minor issues with dings and paint and stuff, but the dealer said they would take care of it. I can't wait till all of the touching up and other things are done. Should look great-black. It drives amazing. Fastest car I have ever owned. I need to be real careful.
  • I need help knowing what tires to buy for my car. The one's I have are really bad, but I dont want to put some cheap tire on this nice car. My husband is not currently home and I dont want to get ripped off. Please let me know what they recommend or is a good performance tire for this car. We bought it used in houston are now in Kansas with no saab dealer around. ;)
  • ffb13ffb13 Posts: 181
    well, after 5 years i am told that i now have a dot mandated 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on my 9.5 aero due to a faulty engine that may seize at any time .

but ,had the same happen with the dic cassette and when i went in to get it replaced i was told that the dic on my car was ok ,it was , but the other one i brought in which was the oe on my car and which i replaced at 47,000 miles was in fact in the recall list and had to be replaced but because it was not in the engine ,tough luck.

so ,some letters to the dot and the dealer and saab and no word ...................

maybe a lawyer will help . but ...why bother , maybe i will just go to lexus or infinity next.
  • I don't know what tires are currently on your car. I own a 2003 Saab 9-5 Arc with a 3.0 turbo V6. The original Pirelli's wore out pretty fast and I replaced with Yokohama AV 4's that I ordered from tirerack.com. I am very pleased with the Yokohama's. My experience may be different from yours so you will have to do your own research and make your own decision. You might want to visit tirerack.com for their suggestions and then price the tires locally for comparison purposes. Good luck.
  • I purchased this car as a "demo" from my local Saab dealer. Car had about 8k on it. I currently have approx 48k on the car and I love it! No major problems. I have had the car serviced at the dealer since I've owned it (first three year's scheduled maint was included). The recommended oil change interval is 10k miles as I understand it, but I change the oil at the dealer (synthetic) every 5k or 6 months for around $50.
    I've had a radio problem (dealer replaced same day) and a problem with the driver's seat memory module (dealer replaced same day) as well as the info display (again, dealer replaced same day). The car is fast and handles like a dream. I did wind up replacing the original Pirelli tires with Yokohama AV 4's at about 35k. I love the heated seats (don't use ventilation much) and the heat and air are very powerful. I also have rain sensing wipers on the car which are awesome. The car is still under factory warranty (to 50k)

I can't comment on the 2.0 or 2.3 litre engines. I'm just sorry that they no longer make the 3.0 V6. I run only premium in the car and get around 18mpg in mostly local driving. I'm not sure I'll buy another Saab but only because I don't think I'd be comfortable with the smaller block. I may be old fashioned but I think those engines are undersized for what they're asked to do, which may make them more prone to problems. When I'm ready for another car it might be time for a Lexus 300 or 350. In the mean time I'm very happy with my Saab!
  • Our car with "summer" tires. In North Carolina there are a few days a year that you should not drive with summer tires. It would have been nice to have been told that when I bought the car. Having lived most of my life in the North East I always used all season tires.

At about 22,000 miles I swapped out my orig equip Michelins for 4 Sumitomo HRT all season tires. They cost about $620 from Sears. There are some nice things about Sears... Open on Sat, good warranty, rotate and balance for free. I have had some problems with them so they are not great... just convienient and they always have tires on sale.

I have an Aero so the Sumitomo HRTs are probably less expensive for your car. The Sumis came with a 40k warranty and now I don't need to worry about snow tires. For all season tires I am happy with the performance/comfort.
  • bcoolbcool Posts: 59
    I have Bridgestone Potenzas in mine. They've lasted a while and ride very nicely. Check out the Tirerack.com for reviews on tires to help you decide. In fact, I brought their price in to my local tire dealer, and they met it. Saved a bunch of dough. :)
  • I am leasing a SAAB 9-5, 2003 linear which is coming off lease at the end of the month. It will cost me approximately $19,000 Canadian to purchase it. I was thinking of purchasing the car as an additional vehicle for my kids. I am looking for any information on what it is like to purchase a 4 year old Saab with 65,000 km in terms of repair frequency and cost and what depreciation I should expect over the next two years. My next question is would you consider a the two year warranty for approximately $2,500 which will only be available until the vehicle hits 100,000 km. Saab advised me that after 6 years there will be no warranty on the vehicle.
  • KBB says your car in excellent condition in my zip code is worth 17750.Not too out of line, I suppose. Maybe you should make them an offer and see what they say. As to the warranty, is it being sold by the dealer? Is it bumper to bumper? Do you have to pay for it all up front? Is it transferrable in case you decide to sell the car for some reason? I personally would not buy a third-party warranty. What's been the repair history on the car so far? Reliable?
    If so it's probably not a bad do, especially if your kids will be using it, because of the excellent safety ratings that Saabs get.
  • The car has been flawless except for the first six months that we leased it. The warranty is being sold by the dealer, but I will doublt check that the warranty is not from a third party. That is a great idea to check if the warranty can be transferred. Thank you for your advice.
  • If you're going to have the car serviced at the dealer than I think that whatever warranty he sells you will be fine. I can't imagine him not honoring it. By "third party" I meant one of these companies that sells warranties, mostly operating on line.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go.
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    I bought my 01 9-5 at the end of its 3 yr lease. I did not get any additional warranty (still had 1 yr left on original warranty). Sold it about a year and half later with 92,000 km (off warranty at that time) - no problems with the car post warranty and no serious problem while under warranty. When I bought mine, the dealers used prices were typically a few thousand higher than my residual price.

The only advice I have is to watch the depreciation - depending on where in Canada you live. If you plan to buy and keep the car long term then it is likely a good decision - you know the history and what comparable car are you going to get for $19K with such low mileage - none I bet?

As I miss my Saab, I have been on the lookout for another 9.5 wagon (preferaby aero, but not new) and have seen a couple 2002 linear wagons for under $20k (one with 50,000 kn, one with 80,000). But used prices vary widely across the country.

BTW, I sold my 01 linear sedan in spring of 05 for $16,000 with 92,000 km (no tax). A fair price compared to the market.
  • 3rddeg3rddeg Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing my first SAAB due to it's safety record. Can you tell me if you think this is a good deal. 2003 9-5 with 41,000 miles $15,900.
    From my untrained eye it appears to be in Excellent Condition.
    Available at a dealership and is Certifiable for an additional $1,000. However, this will only give me an additional 22 months on the warranty.

Thanks,
    3RDDEG
  • jscottkjscottk Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 Saab 9-5 that is possibly in need of a ABS Control Module. The dealership quoted me a price of $2,500.00. It seems that I can get a used, or possibly refurbished one for between $200-$300.

Labor cost for installation is $300.

It seems worth trying a used or refurbished part.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd greatly appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Scott
  • What model is it? If it is the ARC or and Aero, I would consider it a good deal, although I would go with the warrenty. A Linear, well, IMO, not quite as nice. Let me know what you decided. Both ARC and Aero's that year came with ventilated seats, nice feature. Look for Touring package too, with Xenon lights, back-up sensors and auto window wipers. My experience is dealers don't seem to charge any more for the Touring Option, and it is nice. ;)