Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• foftrefoftre Posts: 2
    My husband and I purchased a 2001 SAAB 9.5 new in Oct. 2001, drawn to the auto for it's safety rating. In Oct. 2005 I received a letter from SAAB informing me that the IDM was defective on the SAAB 9.5's. The letter stated what to watch for and to immediately stop driving the car and get service if the engine started firing on only 3 cylinders. They said I would be receiving an official recall letter in the near future. Within 2 weeks of receipt of the letter, one of the IDM's went bad. I had to pay a local repair shop to run diagnostics on it, but SAAB eventually paid to have it towed to their dealer for repair at no charge. We asked them to replace the other IDM while they were at it because we didn't want to end up on the side of the road. They refused saying our car wasn't officially on the recall yet. Fast forward to March 2008. While on the way to a sporting event, the car starts shaking and check engine light comes on. We immediately know it is the other IDM. Fortunately we were close to the dealer, drove there and left the car. The dealer was kind enough to give us a loaner to get home if we promised to return it the next day, which was a Saturday. Since their repair shop was closed for the weekend, it was Monday before they could repair the auto, which was indeed the 2nd IDM gone bad. The dealer charged us $315 because our VIN # was not one of the ones with the recalled IDM. They said I needed to take it up with SAAB USA. I wrote SAAB USA a letter, attached a copy of the repair invoice and the original letter to me stating the IDM was defective. They called a week later and said there was nothing they could do because my VIN# was not on the recall list. I tried to explain that just because our VIN wasn't on the list did not mean the IDM wasn't defective and that the fact that both IDM's failed clearly indicated they were defective just like they said the in letter I received in Oct. 2005. However, they refused to do anything. Therefore, my step has been to contact the Federal Consumer Protection Agency filing a complaint. I'm not looking for other people who have experienced this same problem to see if we can get a class action suit against SAAB. This is unacceptable customer service. I will not buy another SAAB. I will not do business with a company who fails to stand behind their product even when they know it's defective.
  • cmemmdcmemmd Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a pre-owned 03 saab 95 aero that is at a Nissan dealer. I have never purchased a certified pre-owned vehicle before. When they are certified and are covered for 45,000mi powertrain, is Saab honoring this coverage, the Nissan dealer, etc?

Also, any feedback about this car before I purcahse?
  • jwooda33jwooda33 Posts: 1
    My 2001 9-5 Saab Aero is currently at 80,000 miles. For the past few months, I have been experiencing a strange stutter while I drive that feels as if someone has cut off the gas then released it very quickly. The car gives a little jerk then keeps going. Today, while I was at a red light, it stopped completely. I quickly restarted it, but it was very unsettling. I have replaced the DI unit 2x, the water pump, the radiator, the heads 2x, etc. I also give it a steady diet of synthetic oil. Has anyone else experienced this shutter and what did you do about it? I took it to my mechanic last month and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. :sick: But I'm afraid it might quit while I'm driving it on the highway
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    The only place you can purchase a Saab Certified used car is at and through a Saab dealer.....NO exceptions!The Nissan dealer is playing fast and loose with the definition of what "certification"means. The other point would be that even a Saab dealer cannot sell an '03 model under the terms of Saabs program.The program covers current model year and 4 previous model years('07,'06,'05,'04).You are basically being offered a service contract with a more attractive,and very misleading,name!
  • fran8fran8 Posts: 2
    What does "Saab Cerftified" from a Saab dealership really give you? Also, I thought there was a mileage cutoff, not just 5 model years on cars which receive SC.
  • I've had a similar problem with my 2002 Saab 9-5 (with ~68K miles on it). Symptoms sounded exactly like yours - had it checked by a mechanic when the check engine light came on eventually. It was caused by a faulty crankshaft position sensor. Got it replaced, car seems to behaving well now. Should cost you ~ $120, not too bad. Do get it changed - the good news is that the car should switch into limp home mode, and not quit on you completely first.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Posts: 184
    Just speculating here on Saab CPOs which go for six years or 100K from date of service. I think it's correct to say that right now Saab will only CPO cars that are 2004 or newer.

But suppose that an '03 Saab had been turned in at the end of its lease, been CPOed (good for 6 years or 100K) and resold. Then suppose the second owner in 2008 trades it in for another brand. If mileage is under 100K isn't the CPO still valid until 2009 on this 2003? So the trick would be to take the VIN and check with a Saab dealer to find out if the car ever was CPOed by Saab and if the CPO is transferrable.

CPO terms are on the Saab CPO site. I've heard owners (and even a Saab dealer) argue that they'd rather set aside an emergency fund instead of pay a premium for the CPO warranty. Others say the new car warranty on a used car is well worth the price. The right choice for any particular person, I suspect, is contingent on how comfortable they are with a wrench in their hand.
  • cdyoungcdyoung Posts: 9
    I am in the process of replacing my heater bypass valve. Does anyone know of any special precautions for refilling the cooling system. My older saabs had air valves which allowed all the air to escape when refilling. Please let me know your experience. thank you. BTW 99K and extremely satisfied with my car
  • Hi it looks like I have that problem too but can you tell me the part number because my mechanic change the output shaft sensor and got rid of the light but the symthom ist still there some times please thank you.
  • Just bought a 2006 Saab. Has the nav system, but no DVD came with the car. Are all DVD's compatible. For example, can I buy a 2005, 2006, 2007, or 2008 DVD and it will work. I plan on buying at ebay, is that a wise move?
  • urb1urb1 Posts: 2
    We own a 2005 9-5 with apprx 35K miles. The car runs great, but on multi-hour highway driving, the check engine light comes on. After a couple days, the light will go out by itself. It has done this half dozen times. By the time I have gotten to the dealer to have it checked, the light goes out and they tell me they cannot diagnose until it comes back on. Any ideas as to cause? Is the dealer's statement correct?

Thanks
  • The response you got from the dealer doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not a mechanic, but my understanding of how these systems work is that when a "check engine" light goes on, a trouble code is stored in the computer, which the dealer (or anyone else who knows how to do it, actually) ought to be able to access with his diagnostic equipment. You might even want to poke around the internet a little and look for guidance on how to retrieve the code yourself. Some cars allow you to do that; I'm not sure Saab is one of them. Again, I'm not a mechanic, but my understanding is that "check engine" generally refers to emission system problems and not to major mechanical problems. Again, you should verify this with a dealer or other qualified mechanic. Hope this helps.
  • urb1urb1 Posts: 2
    I just drove my daughters 2005 9-5T sedan, and I feel some kind of click or knock in the steering wheel. Can feel it when idling at a stop and turn the wheel back and forth just a couple inches. Also can feel when steering around a curve, like getting off a highway exit. It does not feel 'right' to me, and I will be taking the car back to have it checked. Car only has 37K and is still under warranty...we'll see what kind of reply I get.
  • Probably a faulty sensor giving a false reading. I have a 2003 9-5, and the same thing happened (though it stayed on long enough once for the dealer to diagnose). The solutions are 1) ignore it (bad idea, but cheap in the short run) and 2) replace the sensor (expensive, but the only way to be sure). It probably isn't urgent, but you should plan to replace it when you save the $. BTW, on a 2003, it is the sensor at pin 41.
  • I'm very interested in buying a 9-5 as a car to use at my Florida home. It will not have a lot of driving and I'm wondering if getting a high mileage (100K) is OK as I don't want to tie up much cash in a car I'll only drive 3 months of the year. Your thoughts are appreciated. What are common problems I will likely encounter. I'm thinking a 2001 to 2003.
  • You've got your 120K maintenance, (in a few years I guess). A four cylinder will cost about $700-$800, a six around $1200.

I've owned two Saabs at this mileage and little things have gone but nothing extraordinary. A great mileage to buy into - a lot of money for the car.

Scott
  • Thanks Scott. Did you mis-type and MEAN it'sa lot of car for the money or did you mean it the way it was written.
  • right, sorry. certainly the saab is very well priced, (used).
  • I recently purchased an '01 Saab 9-5 Sedan. I've had no problems with it, then this morning it failed to start. Everything else works fine, and there are no warning lights/signs/messages. It just fails to turn over. After about 10 minutes of pulling the key out and retrying, it finally started. I thought maybe it has something to do with my fuel flap, which just yesterday became bent accidentally while I was filling up, and was open when the car wasn't starting this morning.

Does anyone know anything about a possible fuel flap-starter connection? Has anyone had a similar problem? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.
  • I've been looking at Saab 9-5's for some tiime and have finally bought one for winter use in Florida. A few years ago I read a blog( somewhere) where the stock stereo could have a minor adjustment made to increase its performance significantly. an an experts out there assist?
    Thanks in advance.