Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    boonsboroboonsboro Member Posts: 22
    I too saw the ad for the $399/month lease. However, I would rather but then lease. Has anyone tried getting a lower purchase price based on the lease numbers? If I did the math right I figured the equivalent purchase price for the lease deal is around $31,000-32,000 compared to the $37,700 window sticker for the base 9-5 sedan plus auto transmission and the premium package.
  • Options
    vigorous1vigorous1 Member Posts: 15
    Saab seats are very, very comfortable. We have the leather.

We also have the automatic; a '99 9-3 with a sunroof. It is not slow but you do not get wheelspinning acceleration off the line. You get very, very rapid acceleration in the mid-range, where you'll find the car faster than most. This is a solid-feeling, safe, quiet dream car on the open road and has a very high top end.

There is constant debate at saabnet.com between the SE, which is a 205 hp car and the base, which runs 185 hp. Be aware that hp means squat to Saabers. It's torque that means all and Saab has a long, wide band in which the torque is very strong. With an automatic, you take a hit on usable torque which makes the standard a slightly faster car.

There is a pronounced difference in acceleration between using premium fuel and regular and the Saab will keep its power high up into the mountains while other cars wheeze.

The A is a Japanse automatic and is very, very reliable and smooth. It has two buttons which change performance: "S" which is a sport mode holding the tranny in a lower gear, longer and "W" which starts your car in snow and ice in 3rd gear. Works great!

Our Saab has been very reliable. One fix-up on warranty. The heater control - a common fault in the 99s. We haven't needed to align or balance the wheels in 30K miles.

You can expect high 30s mileage with mostly highway driving.
  • Options
    ep0709ep0709 Member Posts: 1
    Email me re assuming your lease--allstate@gate.net
  • Options
    tsuchitsuchi Member Posts: 4
    I went to the SAAB dealer and found the following info on the $399 lease:

Cap cost reduction $3000
    Money factor: 0.00038 (approximately 0.9% APR interest rate)

If you buy the car thru SAAB financing, your interest rate is 5.9% which makes buying unattractive. The way the promotion on lease is structured is like "pay almost no interest plus getting a $3000 reduction". I already signed an intent to lease, hopefully I can sell my Acura CL quick to move on to SAAB.
  • Options
    alaincaalainca Member Posts: 1
    A Bay Area dealer quoted me $27'500
    for a 2000 9.5 2.3t Sedan with 8'500M,
    standard options (leather, auto, sunroof).
    Is that a good deal??
  • Options
    This sounds about right. I paid US$22K for a comparably-equipped 9-3 w 9k dealer-miles in August of 1999.

To get a better fix on it, try asking the same question at Saabnet.com, where there is a tight Saab community, active since 1988, and one of the best auto sites anywhere.
  • Options
    from Saab Magazine, page 28, 1/2001

"The Angel Fire Ski Resport in New Mexico is 2,620 metres above sea level. On the airport runway there, ranged against a Saab in a 0-60 (0-103kph) test were its two major competitors, the Volvo V70R and the BMW 540iT. The thin, high-altitude atmoshpere can dramatically reduce performance but, with all three cars driven by independent racing-school instructors, the Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon overturned predictions based on manufacturer's published figures and surged home in first place.

This was a stunning victory for the 9-5 Aero Wagon, whose 2.4 litre engine generates 258 foot pounds of torque from 1,900 to 3,800 rpm, and whose turbocharger takes it to a breathtaking 230 bhp at 5,500 rpm. Even at altitude, where engines-like people-can suffer from the lack of oxygen, Saab's turbo-driven engine demonstrated a clear superiority."

The other day. a BMW X5 had the same sort of difficulty with my 9-3 @ 1100 metres (3539.76 feet) ASL
  • Options
    soutlaw05soutlaw05 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my first Saab automobile because the car was highly recommended by family and friends.
    Both my highlights were cracked after three months of owning the car!!! I was informed by the Saab dealer that I would have to pay the full replacement cost ($800!!!) The car has never been involved in an accident, nor has it ever been vandalized. I went to independent mechanic who suggested there was a defect in the lenses. I contacted Saab customer service and was informed that they rely on their retail facilities to properly diagnose and resolve any concerns with the cars. To make a long story short they are not replacing the lenses. I will not purchase or lease another Saab product.
  • Options
    dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Sounds odd to me. I've never heard of these breaking from some "defect in the lenses" as your independant has claimed. We all know that the best information comes from Local Independants. Maybe he is correct but if I were Saab I'd be hesitant on agreeing to replace without having them fully evaluated.

Common sense will tell you that you DON'T have to be involved in an accident for headlights to get damaged. I've had them broken on my SUV from road debris hitting them. THESE ARE EXPENSIVE to replace on most vehicles these days. It should NOT cost you $800! That's what insurance is for. I'd tell you insurance agent that Saab is claiming the damage is from something hitting them and your independant's claims. Then if they want to pursue it with Saab, they may be able to get it resolved and save you the deductible.

Best of Luck
    Drew
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Boy, that is odd. They are typically made of a polycarbonate plastic that can withstand some serious impacts. Having both cracked means something but I don't what.

Did you get a second opinion from another dealer? A third?

The response from Saab NA is typical, but can you blame them? Did you provide anything to support your claim?

Are there TSB's on this issue? Have you checked other websites? Spoken to other Saab owners? If there are others who have had the same problem then you may have a leg to stand on. But if you're that "one-in-a-million" owner then what can Saab NA do?

Something tells me there's a lot more to this story...........
  • Options
    I don't know about yours but the lenses on ours are not Poly Carb Plastic. They're good old fashioned Glass thank God. I hate those plastic lenses. I'm sure Saab is still using glass on the newer models as well. Either that or they stopped using the little wiper blades. Those things totally destroy plastic.

Drew
  • Options
    Drew, I guess I didn't look close enough to tell if mine were glass or poly; I imagine you're right.

But they still shouldn't have cracked. This is one of those products that are designed to withstand impacts. Mfr's test this. I'm sorry but I don't buy the story at face value. Me thinks they are either a mfr defect (which would affect hundreds of other owners and should be a fairly well known problem) or something happened to them, like vandalism.

Well, what do I know, right? Mine lenses are just fine. And they still have the little wiper blades which make for cheap entertainment at stop lights.
  • Options
    mlc5mlc5 Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone...

I am narrowing down my choices for a sedan.. Can anyone tell me what a fair price is these days for the entry level 9-5 (w manual) Sedan with the premium package ???
    Is the 2.3t 4 cylinder enough for a car of this size.. or does anyone find it lacking in terms of smoothness and power ???

Thanks....
  • Options
    adomadom Member Posts: 3
    The leasing deals on the 9-5 are incredible. Intellichoice.com (under leases) rates it a gold star and has the complete break down. I currently have a 2000 9-5 wagon 2.3t. I absolutely love it. To me the power is good, and has been increased for 2001. My wife's lease is up on her '98 900. I looked at all my options, mainly leases. Looked at the Passat, Acura TL, Volvo S40 and S60, Subaru, and a few others. For the price of the SAAB, it cannot be beat in my mind. The 9-5 also is one of the safest cars available. So, strange as it seems, we are getting another 9-5 for my wife. For $9/month more we are getting another wagon. Mine silver, hers steel grey. Its kinda goofey, but we cant pass up the utility of the wagon. We also both feel the wagon rides better than the sedan.

These are just my opinions. I did research this for months, and I am satisfied with our decision. Good luck on yours!
  • Options
    skubalonskubalon Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my first new car Monday: Saab 9-5 SE. I love this car so far and one of the things I like is that I haven't seen a single one on the road in my area. Volvo's, Audi's, and Lexus everywhere. The Saab seems to be turning some heads.
  • Options
    dysfunct9dysfunct9 Member Posts: 10
    I've had my 2.3T with luxury package for 7 months now. More than ample power... especially in the sport mode. I can't tell you how much fun this car is to drive... and I test drove the V-6 as well. I preferred the 2.3's performance... I've heard others in the board commenting on this as well. Another advantage of this engine is that it can get upwards of 30mpg on the highway... last week, when I drove exclusive highway miles from Los Angeles to Orange County five days in a row, I averaged 34.3 mpg. I'd say that's mighty impressive for a sport-luxury sedan.
  • Options
    dysfunct9dysfunct9 Member Posts: 10
    To Skubalon:

I, too, was delighted that hardly anyone in Los Angeles drove a 9-5. I love that all those BMW clones were drooling over the uniqueness of my 9-5. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), they have become more and more popular. And now I seem to see them everywhere I go. Alas. I'll see one go by and say, "but, but...eh... wait... that's supposed to be my car...". Oh well, I guess you can't keep a secret this good forever.
  • Options
    >>But they still shouldn't have cracked. This is one of those products that are designed to withstand impacts. Mfr's test this<<

My only point is that it isn't a given conclusion that there is a defect. Surely your not suggesting that they should be able to withstand anything hitting them?

But this reminds me of a TRUE and Hilarious story:

A British company took in a special Cannon from the U.S. that is used to test Aircraft Windshields for impact resistance. They wanted to test a windshield design for a new Bullit Train. The cannon launches the dead carcus of a Turkey at the Windshield. Three attempts destroyed Three windshields. They asked for assistance on the test, the U.S. company asked for and recieve all the test data and sent back a new instructive for the next test: THAW OUT TURKEY CARCUS BEFORE FIRING IT AT THE WINDSHIELD.

Drew
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses...

I did get a chance to test drive the base version at the dealer yesterday with the stick. I did find the power to be o.k. but nothing earth shattering, but it seemed adequate.. What was impressive was the smoothness of the turbo off the line... I didn't experience any of the lag I've heard about with a turbo, which I guess is more of an issue with the Aero, etc
    The ride was ideal in my mind.. a great compromise between sportiness and comfort.. and the interior was very spacious... I am also considering the Volvo. s60 base, among others.. and had a chance to test one of those as well.. unfortunately they only had the base with auto tranny.. which really seemed sluggish with the automatic, but its really not a fair comparison.. The Volvo did seem to have a slightly tighter ride, and was perhaps quieter.. but not as roomy.. especially in the back where it's not even close in terms of headroom and leg room...
    In any case.. getting back to the price... any comments about what I should expect to pack compared to the MSRP ??? I really wasn't planning on spending as much as the 9-5 costs... and its hard justifying that amount of money for a 4 cylinder.. but the car is very endearing in terms of its uniqueness/personality !!
  • Options
    nah, I wasn't implying that headlights can withstand any impact, but they should withstand most impacts encountered while driving. SAE has standards for them and I'm sure Saab has engineering standards as well.

I cruised a few pages of the 9-5 BB at Saabnet and didn't see a single reference to busted headlights. But the BB is 21 pages long and I don't care enough to read them all. INMP.

I was a tad miffed at the tone of the post but, hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Even if its unreasonable and off-base.

Whatever.............
  • Options
    >>I was a tad miffed at the tone of the post but, hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Even if its unreasonable and off-base.

Whatever.....<<

Are you referring to my tone? I'm confused if you are. I didn't think I had a Tone.

All I was saying is that I'd be surprised if it were discovered to be a defect and not the result of debris causing the damage. I'm only stating my opinions. I have no axe to grind.

drew
  • Options
    not you, the original post I responded to. The one that complained that Saab NA wouldn't kick down for new headlights.

Sorry, I should've been more clear to you. Guess I should have referenced a post number instead of saying, "....tone of the post".

My bad. I'll be more specific next time.

- - Bret - -
  • Options
    golfgod1golfgod1 Member Posts: 3
    After looking at the TL Type S, Lexus GS 300, I30 and Volvos, I keep coming back to the 9-5 SE. Other than seats that don't have good side bolstering, the car is a hoot to drive, has great styling and is an amazing value. I curious if anyone has gotten a good deal in L.A. Ideally I'm looking for $3k drive off, $450 tax included, 15k miles per year for 36 month. Is this feasible or is it wishful thinking. Might even go for the BBS wheels if I can swing it. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Options
    bg10bg10 Member Posts: 9
    I'm one of the few people in the aircraft industry that actually will admit to doing windows. The story about the British and the turkey is a good story but an urban legend. Bird strike testing is controlled by a Mil Spec (Military Specification) which contains instructions for using fresh or frozen birds (chickens actually) and for the frozen birds, how long they can be kept and instructions on thawing. Included are the internal temperature that you must reach before shooting the bird. Besides, they don't do bird testing on high speed trains, those are tested for rocks and concrete blocks.

Watching a 4 lb. chicken hit an aircraft window at 360 kts. is quite a show. Not much left after the test.

By the way, I have a 2000 9-5 Aero sedan and am more than a bit happy with it, love the power and torque.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're headed down the same path as I did. I've got an SE and love it.

I think your plan is doable. I don't know current residuals and money factors but my payment is right there but I put down less and took 12K/yr. instead of 15K/yr. The higher miles will bump your payment but the bigger down will offset it. Get the car as close to invoice as possible and pay as much of the upfronts as you can afford.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. Did you by any chance get/or consider getting the BBS wheels? They're big bucks but look sweet. Wondering if they help performance.
  • Options
    Well... I finally decided to go for the 9-5 base with 5 up manual, premium pkg and heated seats.. It was tempting to go for the 9-3 SE, the drive was more sporty.. but somewhat less refined...The $5k incentive they're offering almost swayed me the other way... But in the end, with a wife and little guy to drive around on weekends, the 9-5 seemed like the better way to go.
    I am not going to pick the car up until later in the week and am wondering about a few dealer options... please feel free to comment:
    1) Mud flaps.. I am thinking about them in terms of keeping the salt & dirt from damaging the rear fender...
    2) 6 DC trunk mounted changer.. where exactly in the trunk do they mount it.. does it get in the way at all, and how much should I pay ?
    3) add on child/booster seat.. can this be used in the left or right seating position ?? the catalog shows it in the center
    4) trunk liner.. is it worth the money or should I look for an after market version ??
  • Options
    bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    Congrats on your 9-5. We got the SAAB booster seat and it works just fine. It is a standard unit made by Britax. It works well with out 3 year old on the side position. It is super easy to get in and out. We like it.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • Options
    Joe

thanks for the feedback.... What makes it really appealing to me is the headrest design..Looks like it should nicely support their heads when they fall asleep
  • Options
    No, I missed the BBS chance and am extremely sorry I did. They want $1650 for the wheels and tires, right? That's nothin'.

I have tons of connections in that business so one would assume if a deal could be had, I could get it. Well, I've hit every brick wall in trying to get those 17" BBS RKII two-piece wheels. The going rate is about $500/wheel. Then add $150-225/tire. So you're looking at $2600 minimum for the set. I haven't come close to the $1650. If you want them, get them!
  • Options
    phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Our Kansas City SAAB dealer (International Auto Sport)has a large sign on the front window of the dealership, 0% APR for 60 months.
    Just a gimmick? or are there new incentives? Sunday here, so no way to check.
  • Options
    >The story about the British and the turkey is a good story but an urban legend.<<

I'll send off an email to Paul Harvey.

drew
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Don't know how much you know about tires, but was curious if you think they'll significantly help performance (as well as possibly hurt the ride). While the car handles/rides great with the standard wheel/tire set up, I'm looking for more of a good thing.
  • Options
    47074707 Member Posts: 12
    I heard a lot of horror stories about the 17" tires on the 9-5 Aero. Are they as fragile to potholes as it seems or is it just a legend ? Also is the suspension on the Aero very much stiffer than the base car or just a little bit stiffer ?
  • Options
    The wheels and tires on the Aero are baised more for performance. Most people in northern states with these tires will switch to winter tires and rims during the winter months. Many dealers offer a service that provides you with durable steel rims and winter tires. They will switch them back and forth and store your off-season set.

Performance tires like these are not good in slick conditions. This is not something restricted to the Aero, it's true on any car using this type of tire. If any dealer claims otherwise, they are being dishonest with you.

Drew
  • Options
    I'll second all those comments. I don't have the 17" on my 9-5 (boy, I wish I did, though) but I have read a few posts stating that they are susceptible to bending if driven over serious potholes. BBS does not have a reputation for making "soft" wheels (unlike Fittipaldi) but with a 45-series sidewall, ya gotta be careful.

Regarding ride quality, all the above is true. It's a definite trade off between looks, handling and steering response, and ride quality. Shorter sidewall=rougher ride. But you see plenty of cars with 17" and bigger wheels on them so how bad can it be? I've had custom wheels and tires on my cars for 10+ years and have learned to live with it. It depends on your priorities and preferences - smoothness and refinement or fashion and performance. To each his own on this topic.
  • Options
    tsuchitsuchi Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am about to take the plunge into 9-5. However, there are some posts on saabnet.com regarding the noise in 9-5. Can current owners share your experience on the noise level whether it is coming from road, wind or engine. Thank you.
  • Options
    erinb1erinb1 Member Posts: 1
    I've never owned a Saab before and have been looking at a 1999 95 4 cylinder stick with 50,000 miles. I'm a little nervous about the high maintenance costs I always hear about. I'll only receive a 3 month warranty and was hoping I could hear some feedback from people who have owned Saabs for some time. I appreciate any responses.

Thanks,

Erinb1
  • Options
    Erin...

I certainly can't speak from first hand experience.. but I just purchased a new 9-5 myself and have been reading anything I could find out at the various web sites, including Edmund's own archived 9-5 town hall discussions.. From what I've read, most folks usually give glowing reviews when discussing the 2000 and 2001 models... and when I did come across a bad review or two, it was typically associated with the 1999 owner... Most of the complaints I've read had to do with a variety of minor electrical problems, and others involved some ECU, gas tank(thumping noise?), and wind/road noise problems...
    It's always a tough decision .. hopefully some of the participants here can give you some useful input...
  • Options
    scbryanscbryan Member Posts: 6
    I have had my 2000 9-5 SE for a year now and have had nothing go wrong. I am VERY critical of how my cars operate and usually notice everything. I hope my good fortune continues.
  • Options
    I'm due to pick up my car this weekend and have a few questions regarding oil changes....
    1) What type of oil can I use ? The dealer mentioned that the 9-5 comes with a "semi-synthetic" oil.... So can I go to a full synthetic and is there any harm switching back and forth in the future between the semi and full synthetic blends ?
    2) What are the recommended change intervals for the 2001 9-5 ? ... I imagine I will probably end up changing the oil every 3 or 5k miles, depending on if I use a full or semi synth... but how long do I wait for that first oil change ?
    thanks...
  • Options
    RE: Noise - Not sure what noise you were referring to. I'd suggest that you spend plenty of time driving it before you decide if your concerned. The only noise I really notice is a wind noise from around the sunroof (closed) during highway cruising. If it bothers me all I have to do is slide the sun screen closed and the noise is gone but it's really never that bad. Problem easily solved. That is a common situation in lots of cars I've owned and driven.

RE: New Saab Buyer - I can't really speak to the expectations of a '99 with 50,000 miles on it but I do have a '99 with almost 30K. Ours was manufactured in '98. Thus far we have had no problems. The ECU was replaced under a recall but we never experienced any problem associated with it. Never had the Gas Tank think you referrred to either. All said, it's been 30,000 trouble free miles so far. We won't hit 50K before the lease it up.

Best of luck
    drew
  • Options
    mzegermzeger Member Posts: 5
    I saw on the Saab website a $399/mo x 36mo. lease on the 9-5. It's for a $37K MSRP car, 4-cyl turbo and automoatic (all the 9-5's at my local dealer sticker for a little more, so I'm prepared for a few $$ more per month). The upfront costs are over $3000 (sec. deposit, 1st payment, acquision, etc.) though no specific cap cost reduction is mentioned. While I don't have the specifics regarding cap cost, money factor, etc., it seems worth a good look. It does seem like this lease is based on the MSRP, and since no one would ever pay full sticker, I figure there is room to negotiate down any cap cost reduction included in the upfront expense.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Here's a link to Intellichoice's detailed page on that 9-5 lease:

http://www.intellichoice.com/lease/leasingDetail.cfm?vehicle_nmb=8368

It's for the base 9-5 sedan. There's a similar deal on the base wagon.

• Options
    bulkleycorpbulkleycorp Member Posts: 21
    Just got the 95 wagon. It's hard to make a clean
    analysis because there is about a $4K Saab lease subsidy which impacts the cap cost basis.

In fact, I found the intellichoice analysis somewhat suspect. I would like to see details and assumptions of their analysis. Not that they are totally wrong, but want to get a better sense of the math since I tried to duplicate the analysis but couldn't - and I've even had a PhD (Finance from Ivy Leauge school) look at the anlysis - on surface it looked interesting but he couldn't figure it out....

At any rate - at the end of the day the key factors I looked at are:

1) Money factor
    2) Residual $$, not percent -- percent is irrelevant since MSRP is a bogus number - few leases are ever based on the MSRP.

I plan to buy the car and by having a lease with an effective interest rate of 1% - it's like spreading a down payment interest free (practically) for 3 years. I'll take the 20K down payment and instead invest it in something else!

ALSO - I received a $1K rebate from Saab - a certificate via mail - call SAAB USA and tell them you received the certificate but lost it! I applied that to the $2K cap cost reduction! That was the kicker that made me get the saab vs. v70 2.4T
  • Options
    wpialum81wpialum81 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up a set of Sylvania Cool Blue halogens to replace my low beam headlights on my 1999 Saab 9-5. In less than a month, both had failed (within a week of each other). Has anyone had similar problems with the Cool Blue lamps? Other than that, just brought the car in for the 30K checkup ($500... ugh) and everything is running just fine.
  • Options
    Sorry but these are not really any benefit for Systems that are not designed for them. When I went to improve the poor lighting system in my old Durango, I did quite a bit of research. What I found was plenty of articles stating that those "Cool Blue" replacement bulbs offer no benefit other than their color. It's only a marketing gimick.

The factory systems that are designed for "Blue" lights are the only ones that offer any benefit. They are not the same as what you purchased.

Drew
  • Options
    bulkleycorpbulkleycorp Member Posts: 21
    Manufacturers are doing a great job positioning these lights - like cool blue or sylvania's "xenon gas" halogens (there's an interesting one) as brighter and better.

Bottom line - if you want better light - then you need to spend $2K for the HID system. Otherwise you're wasting your money.
  • Options
    stewdaddystewdaddy Member Posts: 4
    Just had to replace my 2nd mmx 17"pilot on my 9-5 Aero with 5k miles on tires. I paid full price for the hard to find Pilot the first time (also needed OEM wheel repaired). My tire dealer "Direct Tire" of Watertown MA (best in the country in my opinion) had me call Micheline Customer Service to issue a complaint, With the help of Barry Silverstein owner of Direct Tire, Micheline "bent" the normal warentee rules and issued a free tire replacement credit.

Here's what you Aero owner's should know, the OEM Pilots on the 2000 Aero are not the new current tread pattern on the Pilot Sport. My replacement had to be shipped from Micheline distributuion Ctr. in Atlanta. I'm driving on another brand loaner from the dealer till my tire arrives.

Front wheel drive and low profile 17" tires what ever the brand are an invition for expensive trouble in the North East.
  • Options
    mzegermzeger Member Posts: 5
    How do I contact Saab USA for one of these certificates? (I'll check the website in the meantime.) If it can be used on a lease, that's a great deal.

I just receive a direct mailer for a $6000 rebate from Saab USA to the dealer, not directly to me. However, this can't be used on a lease, and can't be combined with any other offer like the 5.9% financing. It might be better for me to negotiate the purchase price of a 9-5/4cyl (MSRP just over $38K w/prrem pkg, metallic paint & heated seats; I figure $36K is reasonable), deduct the $6000 rebate and my $6500 trade-in, and finance around $25K (inc. tax, etc.) for 48 mo. and keep the car for 5 years total.