Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    If you can get that Arc for $24K, buy it. They're doing about $23Kish at auction.

There's no comparison between a 9-5 and an Accord. Driving dynamics and safety alone put the 9-5 on a whole 'nuther level than most any Asian sedan. Not everyone appreciates this and its OK if you don't. There's a good reason why a bland, soulless car like a Camry is a perpetual #1 seller.
  • One thing I particuarly like about the 9-5 is that I recall reading the option of a refrigerated glovebox and ventilated seats.

I stopped by a dealer once and asked about used ones - I am in North East. He said you either get heated seats or ventilated seats, but not both and the ventilated was a "warm weather package".

1. Is this true, you can only get one or the other?

2. What do you guys think of the ventilated seats and refrigerated glovebox? Do they work?
  • drb9drb9 Posts: 6
    The 9-5 Arc (at least for 2002 and 2003) comes with both heated seats (front and rear) as well as ventilated seats (front only). The Linear has front heated seats, no ventilation option. The Aero has heated seats, with ventilation as a $1000 option. The ventilation fans are a little noisy, but worth it. Just turn up the radio a little.
  • guga24guga24 Posts: 3
    I am new to this forum and am researching used 9-5s (2000-2002). I have traditionally purchased acuras and love the turnkey/almost zero maintenance lifetime experience, however, I would like to try the european experience because the cars feel so great on the road and the look of the cars.

I began to research European sedans and was immediately drawn to the 9-5. The A-4 also seemed interesting but I simply preferred the 9-5 drive. Also looked at the passat but when adding in basic options, drove the price up to 9-5/A-4 levels. I know that by going the european route I will incur more maintenance and potential repair costs than my previous Japanese cars, I guess it is the cost of the fun. But I have heard some very mixed feedback on Saab reliability from local mechanics.

Almost all say go with just about any other car such as a volvo or audi because of their perceived better build and reliability. Reading these posts, all seem to be about the same with their fair share of horror and love stories for all the cars. Can anyone chime in with real life maintenance stories when the car goes out of warranty from 60k+. I love the car and the huge deprecation makes the 2000-2002 9-5 a steal at less than 50% of original price. A number of mechanics also suggested spending a little more and getting a BMW, they basically said although I would be getting fewer options for the price, great reliability. Any and all input would be much appreciated. I need a little help in making the leap from a lifetime of worry free japanese driving.
  • teecheeteechee Posts: 5
    I own a 1996 9000CS with 130,000 miles and a new 9-5 Aero with less than 1,000 miles. I have had the 9000 for about three years. If it was problematic, I would not have stayed with SAAB's I love the way the 9000 drives, handles, its storage capacity, and the excellent gas mileage. My Aero is three times better than the 9000. I just took a road trip and got 400 miles on a tank of gas. The Aero is a dream. Having owned a Mercedes 190 & 300, a BMW 740IL, and a Jag X-type I am some what familiar with luxury cars. The Aero is by far the most performance vehicle you can purchase within a reasonable price range. In normal drive mode the car is nice, but in Sports Mode its awesome, to say the least. It flys like a rocket! Its a four door porsche in sheeps clothing. EDMUNDS.COM has a site where you can compare the Aero vs BMW 530I. The Aero wins hands down in the comparison. Its roomier, has more standard features, and costs thousands less. For the gentleman considering a used 9-5. Consider the 2002 as SAAB claims to have made over 1,000 improvements to the car that year. Good Luck!
    PS- CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO THE AERO ACADEMY IN GEORGIA.
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Posts: 215
    guga - I don't have any personal experience with Saabs (though I may soon) but CR rates them considerably above BMW and way above Audi on reliability. Personally, I don't consider a mechanics opinion to be much more valuable than personal anecdotes. They have experience with a relatively small number of cars and could be motivated to unfair interpretation of their "data".
    That said, I'm kind of in the same position you are. I was very impressed by my short test drive in a 9-5 Aero but am still a little nervous about giving up the flawless reliability I have experienced with my Japanese cars.
  • I am another newbie to the forum and after driving Audi, BMW and MBE320 wagons, I have decided to purchase a 9-5 Aero Wagon. I have not made the deal yet and I am trying to find out what others have paid for Aero Wagons recently. I know they currently have $4,000 cash back for purchase, but has anyone been able to do any better than that? Option include Touring Package, Metalic Paint, Auto and maybe Ventilated Seats. Any info is appreciated.
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    Take another $500 off for Saab Loyalty if you currently have a Saab.

Also, negotiate the cash back discount off of the invoice, not MSRP.
    trapper - Where do you see a $4000 cash back offer? It's not on Edmunds, the Saab site or the GM site.
  • guga24guga24 Posts: 3
    Can you combine the $4000 Cash back with the 0% or is it one or the other?
    I haven't found anything talking about $4000 cash back, only 0% financing. A few months ago there was a $3000 cash back OR 0% financing deal but the cash back appears to have gone away.
    I've checked the various GM incentive pages on a regular basis over the last year or so and for some reason the Aero and Arc incentives are NEVER posted although they are available.

Dealers I've spoken with confirm there are incentives. Every Sunday the Chicago Tribune also lists the $4,000 Aero and Arc incentive right there with the Linear.

They DO exist.
  • rob999,

where are the GM Incentives posted?

Thanks
    Look for a magazine called Automotive News. Its the automaker's industry primary publication. In the back they list all incentives on all cars nationwide. That's where the Trib gets their info.

Do a net search for GMfamilysavings.com or something like that.
  • The issue of Saab re-sale interests me. As a contrarian I'm always looking for the mis-priced, good deal. Like maybe a used Aero for next to nothing. Throw on some Blizzaks (this is New England, you know) and I could run around any Bimmer from Thanksgiving thru Easter for less money and more reliability.

Supposedly "Everybody knows" that the resale is awful on a Saab. But maybe the actual used car buyers don't know that.

When you compare on Edmunds the resale prices of comparable Saab and Volvo models (e.g., Aero vs. T5, etc.) they are within $200 with Saab often being higher! Sure maybe the initial MSRP of the Saab is higher, but no Saab buyer pays MSRP. After the usual significant discounting, a new Saab is roughly the same price as a less-agressively discounted Volvo. Three years later this parity persists.

Where is the bad Saab resale? Maybe only in the eye of the fools who compute it from MSRP, not actual purchase price?

What did I miss?
    ...are also posted at gmsupplierdiscount.com.

These are same discounts available to the general public. This site will list Linear incentive, but not Aero or Arc.
    blockislandguy - I suspect a lot of the poor resale value reputation does come from people comparing MSRP to used prices rather than actual selling prices. I have seen many people use lease residual values as evidence of weak resale also. Again, residuals are based on MSRP rather thatn actual sales price. When I was shopping for an SUV for the wife, everyone talked about how bad resale was on Ford Expeditions. In fact, Expeditions were selling for $7-8000 under sticker. Taking that into account, the rsle values on Expeditions are actually excellent. I suspect it is the same situation on 9-5s. Aking prices for used 2002 9-5 Aeros seem to be in the $30-35K range. If I can get a new one for around $33-34K, buying used make no sense.

So, the $4000 cash back is real but they're not really publicizing it. Can someone tell me what the point of a sales incentive is if no one knows about it. Is this just another brilliant marketing move by GM? I for one would not be able to be considering a 9-5 at $40K. If I hadn't stumbled in here and heard people were getting them for low $30s, I wouldn't even have looked at the Saab. How many more potential buyers is GM missing?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,758
    I was under the impression the current cash incentives are for the dealer to do with as they wish, hence no consumer driven advertising.

The idea behind dealer cash is to offer a way to sell cars without reducing brand equity. But since we all know that SAAB's are heavily subsidized, will it work at this point? Why not at this point reduce MSRP and call it even?
  • ffb13ffb13 Posts: 181
    my 2000 aero with 55,000 miles has 4/32 nd left on the tires from 11/32 nd when new.
    this is about 60 % wear. but in about another 5m miles i will need to get tires,the thread wear is only 3/32 away.
    currently i have the oea michelin mmx.

thinking of going to the goodyear f1 tire.

has anyone tried this tire as yet ????
    and if so --results ????

the tire rack customer poll states that it is 100 % better than the michelins on my car.
    quieter ,
    longer lasting ?????????
    better in the wet.

but,most of the 9.5 and aero owners tell that the mmx only gave them 15 to 22,000 miles were i am in the 60,000 range by the time i re-tire.

i think it has to do with ny inflation pressures of 41 front and 39 rear.

anyhow,i would appreciate any feedback on the goodyear from saab owners as there is none on tire rack.
    thank you.
    ff
  • robr2 is correct in saying that the $4k cash back is a dealer incentive to use if they wish. I called the SAAB Customer Assistance Center and they openly speak about 0% financing but say that any cash back incentive is up to each individual dealer. Also note that the two incentives cannot be combined ($4k cash back + 0% financing = NO), it is one or the other. The best deal I have gotten to date is invoice minus the $4k incentive.
  • gver2gver2 Posts: 2
    Still looking for an answer to this: Those of you who have ventilated seats. Do you use them heavily? Does the racket deter their use? Is this just more a marketing gimmick than a desirable option? Thanks.
  • grumbgrumb Posts: 21
    Thought they were a gimmick, but they really do work. You need less A/C and on long trips you feel more refreshed IMHO. They are noisy,especially on higher setttings, but you won't accidentally leave it on :-)
  • fauxpawsfauxpaws Posts: 11
    This is another of those "gotcha" options that once experienced, becomes a must-have. Think instant hot water in the kitchen--I thought my wife was going decadent on me, but you know, it's really nice.

Oh yeah...seats. Just set it on "1" and forget about it. You won't even notice it's on. You'll just be very, very comfortable. If you forget to turn it on and get sweaty, then you'll have to crank it up, experience rapid evaporation, and notice the cold and noise of the fan. Of course, if it's that hot out, other fans in the car will be louder.

Intelligently used, it's like a good non-steroidal agent. All of a sudden, you just notice that your knees don't hurt anymore. You just feel normal...not in pain, not sick to your stomach with side effects. Just normal. Quiet relief.

Gotta hand it to those Swedes. Who'd think that folks in a cool climate would put this into a car.

Best,
    Greg '03 Arc Wagon newbie
  • dskidski Posts: 414
    >>Gotta hand it to those Swedes. Who'd think that folks in a cool climate would put this into a car<<

The idea came from back when they were part of the Aircraft Division. It was a feature commonly used in Fighter Jets. Not sure what company or who invented it though.

Saab was the first to put cool things like this in cars but companies like BMW eventually copy them and make everyone believe they were the clever ones to think of the idea. Heated Seats is another good example of this. Self Leveling Head Lights? I think that might be a Saab original too but admit I'm not positive about that.

Drew
  • maybesaabmaybesaab Posts: 7
    decisions, decisions...after looking forever, I am closing in on purchasing used and need help....any opinions on getting a used 9-3 versus used 9-5...and whether 2000 year is superior to 1999 model year for either...I like look and smaller feel of 9-3 but have heard some people comment on how 9-5 is THE Saab to get....all opinions would be helpful, thanks...
    The 9-3 is a fine car in its own right. A bit dated in design but still nice. If a used one fits your needs and budget, its a great choice.

Obviously the larger 9-5 has clear advantages in comfort. There's no hatchback like on a 9-3 but there are wagon versions available and the sedans are very flexible haulers.

Having driven both I think the 9-5 is a "more together" car - better chassis, steering, brakes, etc. Also the 9-5 is a better long distance tourer. If you plan to drive long distances, carry lots of people, or have a long commute, the 9-5 is a winner.

Both cars are very safe and have performed well in crash tests. In 1999 (IIRC) Euro NCAP said the 9-5 was the safest car they'd ever tested. So I think the 9-5 has an edge in safety.

As for years, the newer the better. Saab has worked on its bugs aggressively and the '00 models are better than the '99's. In '01 the 9-5 won the JD Power award for highest consumer satisfaction for a new car.

Good luck with your decision.
  • maybesaabmaybesaab Posts: 7
    thanks much my man for taking the time to respond to a wayward traveller in the land of Saab...I was hesitant about the 9-3 because of postings I had seen about 9-5 and your input confirms...so a 9-5 a hunting I shall go and your point about the best quality coming in the most recent model years is extremely helpful...thanks..
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    Shoot for an '01 over the '00, as the sloshing gas tank problem still exsisted in '00. '02s have the new integrated bumper and therefore suffer more damage in front and rear end collisions.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Posts: 252
    From what I have read and in conversations with techs, the newer 2001-2-3 Saabs are pretty darn reliable. We have a 2003 and it is perfect. If You are going used get as new as you can.
  • ahles1ahles1 Posts: 1
    I am a new reader and have noticed numerous posts regarding tires on the 9-5 particularly the Aero. It's kinda crazy that Saab would equip the Aero (mine's a 2002) with the Primacy(s) here in Wisconsin. Mine are up in the attic.

I did some pretty thorough research on tires that fit the Aero, not really wanting to come up with the cash to buy the rim combos, though they weren't a bad deal, and not really wanting to give up the performance the Michelins gave. I settled on the Sumitomo HTR+ and feel like I lucked out. It's a bit softer, but not that much and it is absolutely great in snow and ice. I have about 6000 on them now and great wear so far.

The dealer informed me right away that I was in for a change when the foul weather came and then unbelievably told me that a number of his custys kept the Prim's on last winter. Yes it was an easy winter. But I will tell you this - driving the Aero with the Mich's in winter, even with all of the wonderful safety devices that come with the car, is like taking an out of control saucer ride down the toboggan slide. I know you northern folks know what I'm talking about.

Love the car.