Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• dskidski Posts: 414
    I'm guessing the $3K difference is in the lease factor or interest. Are you comparing the Purchase Price as a Cash Deal to the total lease payments added up?

If you compare a LOAN on the $35K to the lease deal, you should come up with the Lease being cheaper unless you get a very low or no interest loan. Wether or not it makes sense to pay cash for expensive cars is another story.

Drew
  • rudikamprudikamp Posts: 34
    I need some advise on which of 2.3 turbo engine is
    more reliable, the light-pressure or the high-
    output turbo.I intent to keep the car for atleast 6 years.Thanks for all the information.
  • manamalmanamal Posts: 434
    Looking at SAABnet 9-5 bulletin board
    (www.saabnet.com), it seams that the
    2.3 HPT engine is more reliable than the
    2.3 LPT engine. The primary isues seem to
    blue smoke (blown turbo). The V6 lpt also
    seems to be reliable.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    The HP is a more reliable engine. I have seen several miley LPTs (70K+) and a few with as low as 45K miles that have been smokers.

Never seen an HPT like that.

Bill
  • I have a '01 95 with about 28k miles. Since purchasing the car, both headlamps have failed, both fog lamps have failed, both front turn signals have failed, the center rear brake lamp has failed, the dome light has failed, I've had to replace the brake pads, and now the lighting on the radio is failing.

I've never had this many failures in all my other ars combined (mostly Acuras & Toyotas).

Is there a problem with the Saab electical system?

Is it normal to run through a set of Saab brake pads in 25k miles? I've never had to replace brake pads at less than 40k before.

I love the car, but I'm considering selling it before the warranty period expires. Thoughts?
    Headlights fail because of the daytime runing lights. Can't comment on the rest.
  • edisaacedisaac Posts: 15
    Looking at getting a 9-5, probably the Arc model. Like to know what people are getting out there. Went to the dealership yesterday and the salesperson was telling me that Saab has a very attractive lease package, I think the payment came out to about $375-400/month. I told her that I would most likely put on more mileage than a lease typically allows. However she said that shouldn't matter much because with the money factor used (?) and the residual value at the end of the lease the numbers favor leasing, even with the 0% financing. Apparently they can't discount(rebate) much on the 0% interest. Help.
  • cstowecstowe Posts: 96
    I am looking at a 1999 Saab 9-5 se v6 turbo, loaded, auto, 41K miles, silver, black leather, ventilated front seats, heated front and rear seats. I have set up a time to drive it on friday here in New Orleans. The dealer has it listed for 19,999 and will Saab Certify it for something like $599 more. How does this sound? What do you think I should offer? This would be my first Saab, what about reliability, maintenance costs, etc. Comments welcome from all!
  • bbf65bbf65 Posts: 29
    what's in the saab's engine(s)?
    timing belt or chain? (I4 and V6)
    also, am trying to decide between the Saab 9-5
    and the Infiniti G35.
    all input welcome.
    thanks.
    2.3t (and 2.3T): timing chain
    3.0t: timing belt (first replacement "free" @60K)

Can't comment on Infinity 35 (except, it is
    a lot smaller, I think).
  • dskidski Posts: 414
    I'm on my Third Saab and haven't had the kind of trouble you've had. I must be lucky. I will say, however, that our '02 model does have some kind of odd electrical glitch that will be addressed in the 10K service. At this point I'm not concerned.

As far as the brakes go, there is no simple answer as to what normal life is. ie. I got almost 50K out of my New Montero and the dealer was amazed claiming that on average owners are looking at their second pad replacement by then. I drive 80% highway in that vehicle and No Aggressive driving.

Have your driving patterns changed at all with the Saab? Many people will claim they haven't changed but when taking time to think, they sometimes will admit to driving the Saab in a more "Aggresive/ Fun" manner than with their other cars. Driving in that manner is expected more from the likes of Saabs and BMW's etc than with Honda's and Acura's. The First Step is Admitting it then accept that the results are a happier existance and Shorter Brake Pad Life. :)

Drew
  • I talked to a saab dealer in Frederick, MD who said Saab was offering dealers $6700 in incentives 95 linears w/ premium packages - they were only passing about 5k on to customers. Has any one heard of this deal before? Anyone with good pricing or dealer info in the DC area and loan info would be a champ if you wrote back. Thanks!
  • cstowecstowe Posts: 96
    It is true. I saw a sheet for the GM supplier discount program that offered 6750 rebate on 2002 9-5 (Linear only).

Am I a CHAMP now?

3500 back on 9-3se
    6000 back on 9-3se convert.
    6750 back on 9-5 linear (no mention of prem package)
    5000 back on 9-5 linear wagon

This is from the GM Supplier Discount website but the rebates are typically the same ones everybody gets.
  • stgreenstgreen Posts: 74
    A few questions:
    1) how do the preferated seats really work to keep one cool?
    2) how is gas milage on average for those who have the ARC and the AERO?
    3) over the long haul, day in and day out, is the suspension on the AERO? - too stiff? too jarring?
    4) whats the 'winter wheel package' (16 inchers) like with the AERO? ((how does it handle in the snow?)

thanks in advance.
  • Hey cstowe,

You're a champ! Thanks. When I told the dealership I was posting this note they said, well, we can do the full $6,750. The power of communication! Thanks!
    try international saab in Falls Church, VA
  • edisaacedisaac Posts: 15
    Any rebates available on the Arc models?
  • bg729bg729 Posts: 6
    I am a school teacher and a new Saab is out of my league, but a local dealer has a used /preowned fleet vehicle- Auto Arc 6 cyl.- that is a certified preowned 2001 Saab with 21,000 miles for around $25,000.
    What have been your experiences with certified preowned SAAB's? Is the warranty as good as it reads???Am I missing something?
    My brother feels that 21,000 miles in a year is hard driving and I will be facing the expense of new brakes and tires sooner rather than later and these are exclusionary items?

He also says that when the warranty runs out, I will not be able to afford maintenance or repairs which are notorously expensive. Is that true??

I looked into the cost of an extended warranty and it is $2000-ouch!

Is anyone driving the Arc /
    auto 6 cyl? How is it behaving itself so far??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.
    21000 miles in one year probably means that it was primarily run on the highway, which is not hard driving.

By the way 2001 v6 was called the SE. I had a 2001 SE wagon...bought new for 30,500. Totalled it after 6 months (was hit broadside by a caddy doing 50 mph). I did not buy another saab because we really needed a minivan (children...).

The certification gives you a 100K warentee. Should be no need for another warentee. Also, V6 seems to be a good engine. I have not heard of any problems with it. (I did not own my car long enough to encounter any problems). The 2.3 LPT engine does seem to have issues with turbos/blue smoke (HPT 2.3 does not have this problem).

Once thing to consider, though is that SAAB maintence and repairs are expensive. Even though you would be paying 25K, down the road expenses will be much higher than many other cars. Price out the 60K tuneup, for example.

Also check www.saabnet.com