Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• I am considering buying the above - wondering if this group will help me out - I test drove a 6-cyl automatic - what a great car; is the 4 with a manual a good choice too?

And what reliability issues have you encountered?

Thanks
  • bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    There has been a lot of talk about this in here and over at http://www.saabnet.com so I suggest you spend some time looking thru old posts and learning. There's much to know.

Cliff Notes: The 4 cyl has had a few probs with the turbos but that seems to be all. The V6 is even less problematic; I've never read a post anywhere complaining of a major problem with that engine.

Saab's QC has improved significantly since '99 and the reliability of the newer cars bear that out.

• dskidski Posts: 414
    I think the 4 with a manual is probably the best Saab you can buy.

Drew
  • Hello all,

I have a '99 9-5, which I purchased new. The car is great with one exception. I seem to blow a low beam headlight every 3-6 months. Both sides blew of this week which has prompted my inquiry to the board.

Have others experienced this? I know it's been 3 years and why should I get concerned now but...these are $15 ea to replace.

Thanks,

Jay
  • Does Saab have a certified used car program like M-B, BMW, etc.

If so, any details?

Thanks in advance!

-J
    I had a '99 and now 2001. I didn't really have any headlight problems as you described but I have heard of others who have. In 39 months I replaced 3 bulbs.

One thing that some seem to believe is that the Daytime running light feature causes short bulb life. I don't know if thats true but you could disable the DRL's by pulling the fuse. It's described in your owners manuel as an option since they are not mandatory in the us.

As far as the replacement cost, Many people don't realize that the headlamp bulbs are covered under warranty. You may be out of warranty by now but mine were always covered. I didn't realize it until I had the car for a awhile and went to purchase a replacement. After I got the bulb the service manager noticed and said to me they are a warranty item. Intead of issuing a credit to me, I just told him to give me a second one for back up at no charge which he did.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • Thanks for the response Drew. Boy, this board has sure gotten quite since my last visit. What happened to all the Saab enthusiasts?
  • bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    To Saabnet.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    I just got my 2002 Arc wagon and I'm noticing I get a nice little ache in my neck and upper back while driving. Didn't get it in the 2 test drives I took. I'm petite (5ft 2in). Does the slightly forward angle of the headrest just take getting used to? My last car (a Merc Sable wagon) had huge seats that offered no head/neck support for my little frame. Now I've got head/neck support like crazy, but it kinda hurts! Any feedback on just the headrests would be appreciated.
    Try reclining the seat back a little more. I notice that smaller people, my wife included, tend to have the seat back in a very upright position. I can't imagine how they do that without back discomfort.

If you need the seat back way forward to enable a comfortable reach for the Wheel, try moving the whole seat forward a bit to shorten the reach then recline the seat back a little more. It may take some work but I'll bet you will find a comfortable position eventually.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • Hello All,

I have been admiring Saabs for a long time and am almost ready to take the plunge.

Looking at buying either a used '99 or '00.

Any ideas if there is a difference, and any recommendations?

Thanks!
  • ajaymeajayme Posts: 74
    For first hand help try: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-5/

Great bunch of folks with good Saab knowledge-good luck.

• bszetobszeto Posts: 24
    Hi, I'm just wondering about the reliability of 1999 9-5 SE's with V6. I saw a very good deal - $27K (Canadian, taxes included) for a 9-5 SE V6 with only 52,000 km. Any major problems to be aware of?

Bernard
  • rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    I'm planning on getting a 2003 9-3 (waiting for the Arc next spring). Unfortunately, where I live in Chicago the only dealer that is remotely convenient to me is Perillo. Perillo has a lousy reputation (amongst my friends anyway) for customer service. Moreover, their Saab "dealership" is crammed into their Lincoln showroom, in a building that looks like it should be demolished.

My question: is warranty service for Saab only available at dealerships? Just curious if I'm obligated to bring the car to the dealer for warranty work (not to mention the free oil changes for the first 36 months...)

Thanks!
  • I live in Chicago and use the Saab Exchange in Highland park, which I think just moved to Lake bluff. I can not say enough about there service. They reat you right and are always very nice. Closest to a Lexus dealer & well worth the 30 min ride from Chicago.

I shopped at Perillo for the saab new and the salesman did not even want to get up from his desk to do a test drive. After dealing with Perillo on my BMW service, that by the way was horrible, I decided to buy from the Saab exchange. I bought a 2002 9-3 loaded car for $800 over invoice with absolutely no hassles and Like I said earlier the service is top notch! I would not even think about going back to Perillo. Hope this helps.
  • rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    Thanks for the advice. I've heard many people laud the Saab Exchange. At a minimum, I think I'll eventually buy the car there. Unfortunately, I live on the north side of the city (Edgewater) and work on the South side (Oak Lawn), so having to drive 30 miles north makes taking it up there for service is almost impossible...
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    If you work in the far South suburbs of Chicago, maybe check out Flikkema (Lansing??). I have not worked with them directly but I have heard good things about them.
  • Have a 2001 with 35K, 4 Dr. 9.5 SE.

Yes, Saab has certified plan, same as BMW with 6 yr. and 75 (or 100) from in service date. Changed it effective 2002 models to match BMW, Audi and Merc., V-6 engine is very reliable, have not heard of any problems except noisy power steering gear. Re: 1999 vs. 2000 V6, unchanged, some changes in 2002 Model.

Have driven both 170 and 185 HP (believe those are correct but could be off) smaller turbos and newer (2001) version much sweeter engine.
  • I need to replace 2 of my Michelin MXV4's. I only have 7 months to the end
    of my lease and I would appreciate more economical alternatives to mix with
    the 2 almost new remaining MXV4's. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • I am interested to learn what people are paying for 03 9-5 Aeros (wagon or sedan) with touring package. I have a 2000 9-5 SE and considering the Aero among other cars.