Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• Maniktala, i just took my 99 saab 95 SE 4cly to the saab dealer yesterday. they told me it was an ignition switch(maybe ignition cassette) and the intercooler hose. I am still waiting to get it back but they told me that would fix the problem. Have they recommended anything else to you?

My Steering wheel trembles slightly when the car is in gear at a stop light. It does not tremble while on and in park. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks!
  • 64221306422130 Posts: 41
    I have an 01 9-5SE with 57K that I bought certified a couple of years ago - it is my 4th Saab. Has anyone noticed that the service/customer service levels have been decreasing considerably? I took the car into Walnut Creek and for the first time in 7 years was refused a loaner (new staff) and the problems I entered with were not able to be diagnosed despite the fact that they were fairly obvious (cooling fan noise, noisy shocks, etc). I called Saab to complain about the loaner policy and the staff at the dealer - the operator did not care and kept referring to me as a Saturn owner. Seems like GM has finally taken over...
  • camdencamden Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase a 01 9-5SE with 39,000 miles. I am unfamiliar with saabs and was wondering if this a reliable car or should I pass on it?
  • stan18stan18 Posts: 8
    Don't know where you guys live, but I'm seeing '02's (lower miles, great shape, non-ugly colored Aeros, at least) selling for close to $20K. There are plenty listed in the local classifieds for > $20K.
    With respect to the steering wheel trembling: If it is only "slightly", then it's life with a 4 banger (especially if you have A/C and many options running while stopped in gear). 4s don't idle as smoothly as a good 6 or 8... An oil change usually smooths things out for a few months (this is how I really judge when to change the oil... when the stop light trembles become too noticeable)... but it's never going to be "buttery smooth" like, say, a Lexus v6.

The '02 Linears where really bad in this respect (something about the 1st year of the 5 spd auto tranny - the Aeros were less impacted as they had different motor mounts). Suppose your tranny could use an oil change if the engine oil change doesn't do the trick.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Stan18, I'd love to have you explain how tired, old oil contributes to engine vibratation. Maybe the molecule chains are now shortened? The anti-vibration additives are dilluted? The free radicals are in suspension? This proposition reminds me of Andy Granatelli and STP. Its nuts.
  • i was driveing down the freeway. and my Abs, brake and the centeral warning light came on. Does any one know what this means... the brakes did click once in awhile but other then that the brakes worked as normal. The brakes also squeal but no other real problems. Am i looking at a major problem?
    OK, you busted me. I'm not a mechanical or chemical engineer so the following very well may be nonsense.

My assumption was that as the oil gets dirty (more impurities, nothing to do with additives, free radicals or molecular chains), its lubrication properties degrade (If this is not true, why do we bother to change the oil? Big Oil Conspiracy?). More friction adds to the load on the engine and causes more vibration in the drivetrain... just like turning on the AC and all your accessories can make a 4 cyl idle more "bumpy" - or do you dispute this, too? Why does putting the tranny in N or P decrease the vibration? Less load (my assumption - same reasoning is behind to the recommendation to have the tranny serviced).

There is a "fix" that Saab dealers will perform when people complain about the idle shudder: increase the idle RPM a bit. Explain that please (my assumption was that a slight increase in RPM better handles the load on the engine while idling in gear).

Please show me the errors in my logic.
  • aeronautaeronaut Posts: 12
    Picture of the next all new 9-5. Slated for 2008, will have V-6 and AWD. Source Automotorsport. Pic at www.cardomain.com/memberpage/807002
  • sunwaptasunwapta Posts: 5
    I agree with aerodriver. I had more problems with my Toyota 4Runner than I ever had with either of my Saab 9000s. And far less severe problems than our 2002 Honda Odyssey or our Mazda Millenia S.

I sold my '86 Saab turbo with nearly 350,000 km - all original drivetrain, turbo, transmission etc. except the clutch. My '95 Aero has had a couple minor problems and one electronic module failure but that is all. (However finally now at age ten its had to have costly new clutch and exhaust system installed.)

Basically, it's been a fantastic car. I thought we'd trade it off for something but instead we traded off our Honda Odyssey and will keep the Saab for a few more years.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    RIP Saab. GM has finally removed the feeding tube.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I don't know. What I saw looked sharp, contemporary, maybe too BMWish with the Bangleized rear and with the huge wheels but definetly what AERO should have been about since 2000. The AWD drivetrain is a step in the 21st century. The car should draw in people upset with the Audi lack of reliability and those concerned about the "hey, look at me" connotation of driving a BMW.
  • duhey2duhey2 Posts: 6
    I saw a blurb or two about this under news for GM today (which has since been buried under news of earnings warnings and the like). The NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation is starting a preliminary investigation into DI cassette failure. Below is word from the ODI website (sorry for the caps):

ODI HAS RECEIVED 35 REPORTS OF ALLEGED ENGINE STALLING DUE TO THE FAILURE OF THE IGNITION DISCHARGE MODULE (IDM) "CASSETTE" ON THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. TWELVE (12) COMPLAINTS WERE RECEIVED ON MODEL YEAR (MY) 2000-2002 SAAB 9-3 VEHICLES AND 23 ON MY 1999-2002 9-5 VEHICLES. ALL COMPLAINANTS REPORTED THAT THE ENGINE SHUT DOWN SUDDENLY WITHOUT WARNING AND MOST REPORTED THAT THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT RESTART. IN THREE (3) INCIDENTS, THE COMPLAINANTS REPORTED SMOKE AND/OR FLAMES RESULTED FROM THE IDM MODULE FAILURE. THE MAJORITY OF THE INCIDENTS REPORTEDLY OCCURRED BETWEEN 40 TO 75 MPH. AT LEAST FIVE (5) COMPLAINANTS REPORTED DAMAGE TO THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER FROM RAW FUEL BEING PUMPED THROUGH THE ENGINE. IN ADDITION, TWO (2) COMPLAINANTS, SHOWN IN "OTHER" IN THE FAILURE REPORT SUMMARY ABOVE, ATTRIBUTED NON-STALL DRIVABILITY PROBLEMS TO THE DAMAGED IDM. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.
  • saaboysaaboy Posts: 23
    Wow! That looks really nice. But the back looks kinda like a Vectra? I hope the inside isn't all GM. And is that V6 gonna be turbo? So many things that they can screw up...
    actually I'd like to take back my last comment. Even though I like the headligts and wedge shape, it doesn't have: traditional 9-5 hood shape, no bumper/style line thing going acroos side of car, and it doesn't have the side blinkers.
  • rwouellrwouell Posts: 2
    I just bought my first saab. 01 9-5 base auto with premium package. off lease 50000 miles paid 13K for it. Is this a decent price? Also do the headlights come on automatically if left in the daytime running light position? Thanks for any input.
  • geez blckislandguy, I go out of town for a few weeks and you turn into a wise guy!

Actually, you are exactly right, which is why I'm so frustrated. We are Saab's exact target market. We want a solid and safe car, unique styling, thoughtful engineering and a vehicle that's nice to look at. We will put up with less-than-Lexus reliability and quality, but when the company does not stand behind their product and does not respond to customer safety concerns, that's when I become frustrated. I was glad to see some press on the stalling/transmission issue finally. There is a problem out there.

Not sure where you're seeing all the Audi reliability problems - they seem to be rating close to saab everywhere I look. And everyone I know who has one loves it. Then again, their customer service is top notch, so some problems may be easily forgotten.

re: resale, my Saab 9-5 was black/tan with 30,000 miles on it. Perfect condition. I thought I mentioned I paid $30k, not the sticker, which was $36k. $15k would have been fine, but $9-$12k is lousy.
  • I'm in Southern CA

Retail and private listings may be higher - I see them in the high teens, but that's about it.

The $9k was a wholesaler quote through the dealer. That's what wholesalers are willing to pay for the car from a dealer, meaning trading a Saab is not an option.
  • rwouellrwouell Posts: 2
    After reading through all the posts I'm a little concerned about reliability after 60K miles. I bought a used 01 9-5 base with 50K miles and plan to use the car to commute anywhere from 100 to 250 miles a day. Should I be worried about reliabitily after the 60K miles? Any input would be appreciated.
    I understand the difference between wholesale and retail, and why you cannot expect to trade a car for the same price as you see listed in the classifieds. However, there is typically a relationship between the two numbers, and I doubt if the retail markup is >50% (my logic: I see listings for cars in lower 20s retail (mostly posted by local dealers), probably selling for near 20 (give or take)... so guessing if a dealer is willing to sell near 20, then wholesale is near 15... but this is all speculation... I'm in sales, but not car sales).

I guess Saabs are cheaper in So CA... not too much of a surprise since front-wheel drive is probably seen as a disadvantage in this market segment since it never snows and rarely rains. Since I live "up north" (Chicago with frequent trips to Wisconsin and Michigan), I'd rather not have a rear wheel drive car.
    The conventional wisdom is that with proper maintenance, a 9-5 will run a long, long time. Check out www.saabnet.com. There are a lot of folks over there with high mileage 9-5s that can help you if you have problems and/or warn you of the common major service items.

Also remember that when you look at any car forums or bulletin board, you will see many problems. This is usually the purpose of a forum, to discuss problems. People without problems usually do not post. It is rare to see a post like "50K troublefree miles!!!" (it's not because this doesn't happen, but rather most people have better things to do than post their non-events to a forum).
    I have a '99 9-5 linear. Whenver i'm driving around 2,000rpm, i get this loud moaning noise from the car. Once i pass that rpm area, it sounds like the original engine roar. I took it to the mechanic and he claims its something loose in the transmission? Is it possible that it only rattles are 2,000 rpm? I also don't like how the stick on the 9-5 is it wobbly and loose compared to the one on my '86 900. Does anyone else have these issues?
  • sschribersschriber Posts: 89
    :confuse: Looks like a cross between my Malibu Maxx and the new Caddy...
  • bobskibobski Posts: 2
    I have nothing but problems with this car from day 1.. Today it is a cassette which will cost me about $600.00.. Two months after I purchased it needed major work. Something always going wrong. I have a 1997 Saab which runs much bettor..
  • bobskibobski Posts: 2
    I have to have my cassette replaced in my Saab 95 2001 today for about $600.00! I have had nothing but problems with this car.
  • vcubedvcubed Posts: 2
    Leased my 2004 95 Aero on December 31, 2003. The right speaker grill on the top of the dashboard separated from the housing when I drove off the dealer's parking lot. At the 30 days adjustment service a new speaker grill was ordered and installed. The grill popped off of the housing again after a week. Took it to the dealer again (after a while). This time the dealer replaced the speaker grill and the panel adjacent to it (running along the base of the windshield). The speaker grill popps up again after a day. My opinion is that the whole right side of the dashboard is not perfectly alignied and causing the speaker housing to tilt and the grill to pop. If I let the dealer disassembe the dashboard, there is no way they are putting it back together without introducing new problems. Should I just pour some glue into the speaker housing and have the speaker grill attached permanently to the housing? I know this is a nonsense, but the car still smells new and I want it to look sharp. Mechanically the car is very solid, vault like feel yet feels light on its feet and is a thrill to drive. I shopped for a long time, tried S60, A4, C320, E320, 325i and 525i. All are very nice cars. But considering performance, safety, cabin and trunk room, price the 95 Aero won with confidence.
  • vcubedvcubed Posts: 2
    Not available in the US. I found this super-sweet hot rod on the Swiss Saab web site. Follow this link http://www.saab.ch/main/CH/de/index.html , then select "Saab Performance", then "weiter" (or "skip", then "weiter"). 18" wheels and three very nice aluminum pedals. We won't be seeing this one offered as a "previously enjoyed" discounted version in the US. Bummer.
  • marc04marc04 Posts: 1
    My wife's 2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon with only 40k miles just had to have the DI replaced (today as a matter of fact). The warranty expired only 1/12 months ago to boot.

This seems wrong that a critical component of the car fails after just 40k miles.

Marc
  • atljonesatljones Posts: 2
    I also own a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 V6. At 60,000 miles the timing belt was replaced by my local dealership. Now, at 81,000 miles, the belt tensioner failed and caused major damage to the engine. The dealership did not inform me about the risks not replacing the tensioner. I am now faced with repair costs. This seems to be a growing problem.

Does anybody have any tips on how to approach Saab? If so, please let me know!
  • timturbotimturbo Posts: 1
    just sold my 1995 900s with original clutch (with 295kms, that's right, 184Kmiles!) and bought a 2001 95 V6 with 30000miles; black on tan .. gorgeous!! It's very close to a dream car!!! The interior and exterior is flawless. What a step up..

I recently spent over 6000$cdn (4000$US) on my old 900 just keeping it on the road.. so happy to be rid of it.

Any tips out there on some of the things I should do with my new 01?... ie. PREVENTATIVE maintenance (such as changing the spark plugs often to save the IDM?)? What else should I be watching for? What about rust-proofing.. my old 900 was getting unbearable.. the bottom of all the doors were rusting... did Saab do any changes to slow the oxidation process of the metals?

thanks in advance...