Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    What those "few factors" are? Getting a $42,000 car for less than $30,000 is quite a feat. I think sharing the details would be rather helpful to those of us looking to get a $12,000 discount on a new car.
  • I'm in the market for a new Vehicle and am on the fence regarding the Audi A6 or the Aero 95. I was impressed with the A6 2.7T but it was a bit expensive $46K, the A6 3.0 just did not handle the way I expected it should for $38K. I then drove the Aero and was very impressed with the handling and turbo but, after doing some research the 9-5 received some mixed reviews. I was wondering if someone could give me some feed back one way or another on the 9-5.

Also, I was given a ball park of about $36k for a 2003 ($42MSRP)

Thanks for your time...
    There are 1297 posts before yours. Lots of info here about the 9-5 including some 9-5 v. A6 comparos. Do a search on it (find the Search Box in the grey column on the left).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If you use "advanced search" to search within a single discussion, links to relevant posts are returned.

The Search box looks for the keyword in discussion titles throughout the Town Hall, so it is not useful for searching within a topic. It's purpose is to find discussions already underway rather than specific posts.
  • jmfjdfjmfjdf Posts: 1
    I am looking at a certified 1999 9-5 with 36,000 miles. The car has leather /sunroof/ automatic. Perfect condition. Dealer is offering $16,700. Are there any specific questions I should ask? Any thing to look for in the test drive? What would be a good counter offer. The car has been on lot for over 90 days and they are motivated to sell. Any replies greatly appreciated. I live in S FL.
  • bbf65bbf65 Posts: 29
    i bought an aero a little more than 3 months ago.
    that's after i read ALL the posts here and most of the posts at the saab network (TSN).

like you, i was at first concerned about some reliability issues because saab does not seem to have the reputation that honda or toyota has.
    a lot of research and several test drives later,
    i'm happily behind the wheels of a 9-5 aero.
    very satisfied and have never looked back.

i'd say go do all the research you need to do and do all the test drives you want.
    the aero will not disappoint.

also with surveys done by Consumer Reports and JD Powers, Saab seems to be the most reliable of all european brands.

good luck and let us know what you end up with.
  • ejh00ejh00 Posts: 6
    Bretfraz -

While I'd like to be as helpful to the board here as I can, the "other factors" I mentioned were probably situation- and dealer-specific. It was month-end/year-end, so that motivated both of us. After an initial phone call (and a $30K offer over the phone!) I came in as the prototypical "I'm ready to buy today" customer, and that usually creates a condition that shakes a few dollars off the tree. I confirmed that the $500 owner loyalty would also be deducted. After a test drive and some hesitation on my part (I really *was* torn about the color) an additional $500 was taken off to seal the deal. The sales mgr explained that they had already written off a good portion of the vehicle in 2002, and he said he was also taking the 2003 depreciation now, rather than wait till January like other dealers. It was clear to me that the laser red color was the reason they had failed to sell this for many months. Further, a friend had explained that they move a lot of cars at this dealership (it's Saab-only), and that their pricing was generally aggressive.

To get a great deal right now, I would suggest that prospective buyers check out the existence of any remaining '02s on area dealer lots (the web is great for this), ignore the price listed on the site (it's almost always MSRP anyway), and call to verify a few facts on the car. Some '02s I found were listed under pre-owned or used, even if they have very few miles. Most are under "new "cars, but you'll want to confirm mileage and options. Try to get a sense of where they'll be price-wise if you decide to come in, knowing that even a very low verbal number can be a starting point for further (if limited) reductions. At the very least, with ongoing dealer rebates from Saab, and pressure to make room for more '03s and eventual '04s, a $4-5K discount should be the absolute minimum. Where it goes from there is based on those "other factors."

Good luck and good shopping!
    from what i've read at the saab network (TSN),
    the model year 99 had a few bugs (ecu, fuel tank thump). most of which were covered by recalls and replaced under warranty.

check out TSN and post some questions there too.

my experience with saab is limited since i'm on my first one that's only 3 months old.

best regards.
  • regarding your criticisms of the 9-5, what about engine problems?? have you heard of any engine failures? seizures? problems with oil failing to maintain viscosity? please advise. Also, what is TSN and how can I access it. Thanks.
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    TSN = The Saab Network = www.saabnet.com

If you need info on a Saab of any vintage or model, this is the place. Keep in mind that this is a 'problem posting' site, so don't let your impression of Saabs be skewed by the posts. I've been driving our 9-5 for a year now and have found it to be an exceptional car. Wish I could afford another one for ME.

Regarding engine seizures, oil problems, Saab engines generally don't have problems with these type of issues, although if you did a search on TSN you'd probably find someone with said problem.
  • TO KHURLEY, I ALSO LOOKED AT THE AUDI-A6 AND WAS GREATLY DISPLEASED WITH #1 THE STEERING WHEEL FELT EXTREMELY LOOSE AND UNRESPONSIVE, DISAPPOINTING TO SAY THE LEAST. #2 WHEN DRIVING WITH THE WINDOWS CLOSED AND THE MOON ROOF OPEN THE WIND TURBULENCE WAS RIDICULOUS. I FOUND THIS CAR QUITE UNSATISFYING, NICE LOOKS BUT LITTLE ELSE. IT MAY LOOK GRAND IN YOUR DRIVEWAY, BUT ON THE HIGHWAY I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE SAAB. THE SAAB IS CLEARLY NOT FOR EVERYONE, BUT IF YOU ARE A PERSON WHO LIKES BEING DIFFERENT FROM THE CROWD, ENJOYS A GOOD RIDING AUTOMOBILE, WITH ENOUGH POWER TO TAKE YOU TO THE MOON IN A QUAINT YET FASHIONABLE MANNER THEN YOU SHOULD SERIOUSLY CONSIDER THE SAAB. REMEMBER PEOPLE WHO TEST DRIVE A SAAB USUALLY BUY A SAAB.
  • eitan1eitan1 Posts: 4
    Does anyone konw when Saab plans to revise the current 9-5 body style?
    Kinda up in the air right now with Saab's financial difficulties.

The current body style is going on only its fourth year so I'd expect it to be around for awhile. You'll see variants of the new 9-3 before an all-new 9-5 hits showrooms.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    Been lookig for that bright red Saab in Western Mass since Jan 2...haven't spotted it yet!

It appears that there are some good deals on the 02 9-5 in your part of the state, could you tell me where you made your purchase?

Thanks

Jerry
  • bbf65, Pat and Teechee thanks for the feedback! I went and drove the 9-5 Aero again today and I'm sold. Now it just a matter of getting the price I would like...Thanks Again!
    you're welcome!
    i'm glad you're sold on the aero.
    (i know i enjoy mine!)
    hope you find the price that you like
    so you could start getting behind the wheel
    of such a fine automobile.

good luck!
  • "There are 1297 post before yours, do a search"....just what a person wants to do is spend a couple of days pooring through 1297 of Saab owners arguing. This webstring needs to be split up into useful information.
  • jcalajcala Posts: 1
    While I am new to posting in the town hall, I read these message boards Frequently. I am in the market for a new car. My final 4 so to speak are the ES300, the 9-5, the I35 and the V6 Accord. I believe that Infiniti will be discontinuing the I35 after this year. They want to be known for rear drive Sport Sedans. While the I35 is a real nice car and a great value, I don't want to buy a car that will no longer exist. The Accord is real nice and a great value also, but I'm not sure I want to see myself coming every third car. I really like the 9-5. I've looked at the linear and will be test driving it soon. I am a bit apprehensive about the Long Term reliability of the SAAB as compared to the Lexus. I realize that SAAB has gotten much better recently however I plan on keeping the car for 8 - 10 years. I drove the Lexus and it was just what I expected. Very quiet and refined. However, my feeling is that I can get a Linear for 5K less. (Given the current incentives) I live in the Syracuse area and also need a Car that is good in the Winter. I've heard the 9-5 needs snow tires. Any info from SAAB 9-5 owners would be appreciated. I realize the SAAB and Lexus are different types of cars. SAAB more of a drivers car. I like the fact that I don't see many SAAB 9-5s on the road then again I don't see many ES 300s either.
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    As far as snow tires on a 9-5, you will need them only if you go with the Aero, which comes with high-performance 'dry pavement' tires. The Linear and Arc come with all-season tires which will handle the snow better.

Regarding long-term reliability, probably NO other car will beat the Lexus. On the other hand, Saab has become one of the most reliable of all the European cars. Most of the consumer groups (J.D. Power, Kiplinger, Consumer Union) give the recent years' 9-5 exceptional marks for overall reliability. Model year 1999 had quite a few electrical recalls but the marque has improved significantly since then.

We're approaching the one-year mark on our 2002 9-5 - have had no significant problems and have truly enjoyed driving this fine vehicle.
    "There are 1297 post before yours, do a search"....just what a person wants to do is spend a couple of days pooring through 1297 of Saab owners arguing.

I can scan thru a 20-post block in about 10 seconds. That's 120 post per minute or about 11 minutes of searching. No need to read every single post to find what you're interested in.

This webstring needs to be split up into useful information.

I agree that the search capability of WebX could be better. But it is what it is. This ain't your local library where you can just ask someone if they have books on a certain subject. People need to do their own research and just posting a question and sitting back waiting for answers is not research.