Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• Our car with "summer" tires. In North Carolina there are a few days a year that you should not drive with summer tires. It would have been nice to have been told that when I bought the car. Having lived most of my life in the North East I always used all season tires.

At about 22,000 miles I swapped out my orig equip Michelins for 4 Sumitomo HRT all season tires. They cost about $620 from Sears. There are some nice things about Sears... Open on Sat, good warranty, rotate and balance for free. I have had some problems with them so they are not great... just convienient and they always have tires on sale.

I have an Aero so the Sumitomo HRTs are probably less expensive for your car. The Sumis came with a 40k warranty and now I don't need to worry about snow tires. For all season tires I am happy with the performance/comfort.
  • bcoolbcool Posts: 59
    I have Bridgestone Potenzas in mine. They've lasted a while and ride very nicely. Check out the Tirerack.com for reviews on tires to help you decide. In fact, I brought their price in to my local tire dealer, and they met it. Saved a bunch of dough. :)
  • I am leasing a SAAB 9-5, 2003 linear which is coming off lease at the end of the month. It will cost me approximately $19,000 Canadian to purchase it. I was thinking of purchasing the car as an additional vehicle for my kids. I am looking for any information on what it is like to purchase a 4 year old Saab with 65,000 km in terms of repair frequency and cost and what depreciation I should expect over the next two years. My next question is would you consider a the two year warranty for approximately $2,500 which will only be available until the vehicle hits 100,000 km. Saab advised me that after 6 years there will be no warranty on the vehicle.
  • KBB says your car in excellent condition in my zip code is worth 17750.Not too out of line, I suppose. Maybe you should make them an offer and see what they say. As to the warranty, is it being sold by the dealer? Is it bumper to bumper? Do you have to pay for it all up front? Is it transferrable in case you decide to sell the car for some reason? I personally would not buy a third-party warranty. What's been the repair history on the car so far? Reliable?
    If so it's probably not a bad do, especially if your kids will be using it, because of the excellent safety ratings that Saabs get.
  • The car has been flawless except for the first six months that we leased it. The warranty is being sold by the dealer, but I will doublt check that the warranty is not from a third party. That is a great idea to check if the warranty can be transferred. Thank you for your advice.
  • If you're going to have the car serviced at the dealer than I think that whatever warranty he sells you will be fine. I can't imagine him not honoring it. By "third party" I meant one of these companies that sells warranties, mostly operating on line.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go.
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    I bought my 01 9-5 at the end of its 3 yr lease. I did not get any additional warranty (still had 1 yr left on original warranty). Sold it about a year and half later with 92,000 km (off warranty at that time) - no problems with the car post warranty and no serious problem while under warranty. When I bought mine, the dealers used prices were typically a few thousand higher than my residual price.

The only advice I have is to watch the depreciation - depending on where in Canada you live. If you plan to buy and keep the car long term then it is likely a good decision - you know the history and what comparable car are you going to get for $19K with such low mileage - none I bet?

As I miss my Saab, I have been on the lookout for another 9.5 wagon (preferaby aero, but not new) and have seen a couple 2002 linear wagons for under $20k (one with 50,000 kn, one with 80,000). But used prices vary widely across the country.

BTW, I sold my 01 linear sedan in spring of 05 for $16,000 with 92,000 km (no tax). A fair price compared to the market.
  • 3rddeg3rddeg Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing my first SAAB due to it's safety record. Can you tell me if you think this is a good deal. 2003 9-5 with 41,000 miles $15,900.
    From my untrained eye it appears to be in Excellent Condition.
    Available at a dealership and is Certifiable for an additional $1,000. However, this will only give me an additional 22 months on the warranty.

Thanks,
    3RDDEG
  • jscottkjscottk Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 Saab 9-5 that is possibly in need of a ABS Control Module. The dealership quoted me a price of $2,500.00. It seems that I can get a used, or possibly refurbished one for between $200-$300.

Labor cost for installation is $300.

It seems worth trying a used or refurbished part.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd greatly appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Scott
  • What model is it? If it is the ARC or and Aero, I would consider it a good deal, although I would go with the warrenty. A Linear, well, IMO, not quite as nice. Let me know what you decided. Both ARC and Aero's that year came with ventilated seats, nice feature. Look for Touring package too, with Xenon lights, back-up sensors and auto window wipers. My experience is dealers don't seem to charge any more for the Touring Option, and it is nice. ;)
  • I can't speak for Saab's but I had a similar problem on my GMC Sierra. The ABS control module went out and the dealer wanted $700.00 for a new one and $700 to put it in. I decided to try and fix it myself.
    1. The car ran fine without it.
    2. I didn't have to deal with any brake lines. It was an electric only module so it was easy to remove.
    3. I fixed it myself. One of the FET's inside of the control module went bad. I ordered a sample from the vendor and put it in. (The part was probably $2.50 but it was not available.) I put it back together and tested it out. Works great and the ABS light went out. Bottom line is your average TV repair man could have fixed it. I would go with the refurb. Mine has been working since 2002.

-Wendel
  • The break lights and turn signal lights work, they are not mounted on the trunk lid. The reverse lights and second set of brake lights on the trunk lid do not work. I replaced the bulbs. The only thing I have recently done is remove the fuse for the security system. This system was not working properly, alarm going off by itself. Any ideas on why the 4 bulbs on the trunk lid would not work?
  • Thanks Wendel - I'm going to follow your suggestion and have someone look at the module for shorts, as opposed to replacing the whole unit.

Thanks again.....
  • I have recently took my car to get an oil change and the battery tested.. had that done, got the new battery/.put gas in it after two weeks( have been gone) and as soon as I started the car up .. the check ingine light started to blink and the car started to putter! what is wrong with this car>????taking it to the shop AGAIN.. for the six time in six months! I had a loose wire for the wipes, the crank ensor replaced, a box thingy, new tires, new brakes, and now this! will it ever end??? :cry: :sick:
    As for the check engine light after a fill-up. A loose gas cap can cause this, oddly enough.

Scott
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Posts: 184
    Incidentally, while in ME we saw lots of older SAABs but the Official Maine State Car, the one that replaced the SAAB, is clearly the Suburu.

My observation, too. The Saabs tend to be pre-GM takeover and the appeal of the Subie are the full-time AWD, durability and availability. My brother in law, who owns a farm up there, once used a Subie as a field bomb to haul veggies from his fields to his roadside stand. He removed the rear of the roof with a saw. Lasted for years. But the State Car O' Maine is still the ancient American pickup with at least one fender a different color than the rest of the vehicle. In the seat are a couple of gents who will inexplicably stop in the road to peer at something in the distance.
  • tylerhugtylerhug Posts: 1
    Hi there
    New to the forum.
    As far as I can tell, no one has posted a reply/suggested solution or cause to this query. I have the same issue. Could it be the switch?
    If so, where is the switch located?
    I have checked the fuse and the bulbs - both seem fine.
    Any other ideas?
  • First and formost looking at this .. I am wondering if anyone even reads this but me! oh well, Once again I have my baby back, she is well but a moody and unpredictable car if I ever had one... the di system went out and like most of us woman she is exspensive! lol... but i love her so I close my eyes and hand over the money to a man who knows my name but i dont know his I just know her can fix her and give her back to me after I have worn her out... ohhhhh wait, this is coming arcross all wrong! oh well, im a girl so I CAN WRITE IT.. besides who reads these anyways ..lol :P
  • It could be just a loose wire that is not connected .. like my wipers and then when i changed the battery my power seat started working... good figure, strange but true
    hope that helps...
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Posts: 184
    I received my May issue of Car & Driver in the mail today, and it includes a comparo of five $25K "funsters." (Mazda Speed3, VW GTI, MINI, Nissan Sentra and WRX -- that's the order C+D ranked them.)

After reading the article, what struck me was the thought that for $25K, a buyer with some wits about him or her self, could pick up a Saab 9-5 of few years and miles for the same amount. My '99 9-5 now has 120K on the odometer and is still going strong. But I've been of the "what if" frame of mind and, after perusing the $25K field, I'm inclined to watch for a 9-5 Aero, 2.3, manual, coming in off lease.

For a solid, safe, economical, fun drive that will serve me well for many years, it's still a hard choice to beat, I think.
  • Its in the harness. 9-5 are famouns for fraying harnesses on the trunk lid. Fray from repeated opening/closing.
  • 9-5 is a good car provided its properly maintained. Parts can be pricey and labor if done through a dealer. However, the dealer is the best place to repair because they know the vehicle and save you money in long run. I had saab and service local and spent more money trying to figure problems out that dealers fixed easy. I will not take her to anyone other than my dealer now. You should only purchase ext wrty through dealer beacuse they must honor even if ext wrty goes out of business. Ext wrty is generally good but depends on what level you buy (gold, silver, etc.)

Good Luck.
  • crestonavecrestonave Posts: 219
    I agree. My trunk light lids went out and my backup sensors went nuts and it turned out to be the wiring harness. No problem since dealer replaced.
  • ekcekc Posts: 30
    Do all SAAB dealers offer the same extended warranty, or each dealer has its own favorates?
    I don't have an extended warranty on my Saab but my experience is that dealers offer only one extended warranty, which is the one offered by the manufacturer. There can be different levels of coverage available, but all from the manufacturer.

Extended warranties are expensive and in fact it's not impossible that a dealer will make more on selling the extended warranty then he will on selling the actual car.
    Taking my new/used Saab in for it's 120K maintenance. I could take it either to my dealer or a very trusted general mechanic, Any opinions?
    Any idea where the car has been maintained in the past? If at the dealer, I think I'd stick with them, because if the car's lasted this long they must be doing something right.
    I guess 120k is a repeat of what is done at 60k?
    Yes, the car has been maintained at the dealership - and I have liked what dealings I've had with them. I'm also thinking that saving maybe a couple of hundred dollars might not be worth the piece of mind of knowing I'm getting SAAB mechanics, who know the car.

Thanks for the reply....

Scott
  • azjim66azjim66 Posts: 6
    My 2006 combi already is sporting a dime size ding :cry: that chipped the paint just right of the grill on the lower part of the hood. I was wondering if anyone out there has had success with stone deflectors / bras?? They are pretty tough to find for Saab's. Thanks

Jim