Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• BCool.........thanks for the tip.
  • mtgmanmtgman Posts: 18
    I'm considering buying a 2004 9-5 Aero sedan, automatic, xenon lights, touring package for $33,700. Is this a decent deal? MSRP is $42,785.
    What type of lease payments should I expect with excellent credit, 12,000 miles/year, 36 month, zero down?
  • I'm looking for a used 9-5; 2000-2002. Is there any reason to look for the 4 vs 6? I read somewhere that the 4 was more desirable, if so for what reason?
  • Go for the 4 - it's the traditional Saab engine and seems to be the most bulletproof. Get the 2002 - upgraded suspension over the 2001 and prior models. Look for premium sound - much better sound IMHO. Saab has also been decontenting the 9-5 in little ways. No stainless steel exhaust in 2002, for example. Good luck! Donn
  • bcoolbcool Posts: 59
    I just bought the 2004 Aero Wagon for about the same price. I don't think that you'll do much better in price. Maybe you can get them to throw in the 8 year/80K warranty. I considered a lease, but a purchase, with less down than the lease required, was just a little more $$ - the 4% interest rate through my credit union helped. Good Luck.
    Does anyone have experience putting traction devices on a 9-5 Aero with 17 inch wheels? The manual says that chains will cause interference problems, however, I'm wondering if cables will work. I considered putting on a set of smaller 16 inch wheels, but the dealer thinks that they would not fit over the larger Aero brake calipers.
    I live in central Iowa and the Saab dealers are less than sales/service excellent. Where did you buy yours?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    As you can see in the Rules of the Road (linked at the top of the page), neither links to dealerships nor names of salesfolks may be posted. I had to remove a couple of posts.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • I drive a 2003 9-5 Aero, and I decided to use 16 inch winter rims and tires. It is true that steel wheels will not fit over the larger brakes. I was able to get relatively inexpensive SAAB alloy wheels directly from my dealership.
  • Pat, you may have a heavy hand here. On the BMW boards people post dealership names (although not individual sales guys names)), dealer locations, pros and cons of deals with dealers, etc. Same thing with the Land Rover boards (take a look at the LR3 board, for example).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Dealer names are fine, just no contact information. If you didn't already, read the whole story in the Rules of the Road.

I don't make the rules, btw. :)

If you want to pursue this, you should get in touch with Sylvia, our Community Manager - sylvia AT edmundsDOTcom.
    I live in central Iowa. Do I need or do you suggest winter tires?
  • Yes, you need winter tires/wheels. Here's why. IMHO what you need is not so much a set of winter tires but rather to replace the dangerous, low profile summer 17" tires you now have. That means you need a set of 16" wheels with different tires. As a practical matter that means a set of cheap/used wheels (check the local swappper newspapers). While I guess you could get by with some all season radials on the extra wheels you just bought, as a practical matter you should get a set of Artic Alpins and keep them as your winter combo. They will last longer than Blizzaks and help immensely in winter traction and braking.
    Southern California. Did ja buy it?
    So SAAB has 16 inch alloy rims which fit on an Aero? Cool. Do you know if there is enough clearance to run snow chains or cables? In case you don't know, some times they make everyone to put chains/cables on in the mountains out here.
    I pick it up tomorrow.
  • ffb13ffb13 Posts: 181
    my 2000 is now going on to 81,000 miles and still returnning 30 plus mpg in hiway and 22 to 24 overall.on long trips below 65 mph i register 40 to 42 mpg whcih is a great range.

at over 80 mph i register an overall mpg of 29 to 32 .bugt this ,on a 1,500 mile trip,straight.

i could have had over 200,000 miles on the car by now but because i do own many other cars and travel much, the time spent in the sab is reduced.

but,i will tell you that as a 4 seater ,it is my favorite car over some bmw and mb.

the 4 cyl. engine is just great. i cannot have enough of this sweet running engine.

and the tranny is also great but only because is the sane used by lexus.and made in japan. the trick with it is to change the tranny oil every 6,000 miles. not really change it ,but just drain it ,3 pints will come out,and replace it.

simple to do. remove a nut ,let it drain,and replace the nut.fill it.

well ,now i must knock on wood.

i hope that this answers the question raised by randyw.

and ,i am told that the 9.5 is being redesigned for 2006 and out by late 2005.

i would avoid year 1.

also ,to get over 60,000 miles out of the aero tires ,keep the pressure at 43.

i removed my tires at about 56,000 miles and still had another 5 to 7,000 miles left on the thread.

snow tires,

i got the saab deal .it is the best out there .it includes 4 alloy wheels with snows.

and by the way,the snows will fit in the spare tire area. only minus is that the top will be about 1/2 an inch higher at the rear of the car.

i took a saab alloy ,16 inch wheel,and after a blow out in vermont,i bought a new dealer deal,and used the old wheel to mount an all weather spare tire which i have now used twice after punctures on the road.

and ,going to knock on wood again as i read consumer reports on the 2000 year ,more black dots are now showing up.
    Would someone recommend rubber floor mats? Should I pay extra for "Saab" mats or does anyone have "Rubbertites"?
  • If you really feel like spending the money go Saab otherwise go get some clear rubber or vinyls from your local parts from. Saab needs the money ;-).
  • I have posted this here before - but I bought a *new* '03 loaded 9-5 Aero back in August for $27,500 on Long Island. It was a leftover, which is why I got such a good deal (and some haggling). I am as happy as a person can be with this car - it is just a fantastic machine.