Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• I had both computers go out on my car with in a month. I had a fire both times that destroyed my catalytic converter also. The second time it also melted some of the wire harness on the bottom of my car. It cost me $3,000 to fix the car. I have 2001 95 with a 6 cylinder engine.

Like you I am still scared the car will catch on fire and i will be stranded somewhere.
  • wthmwthm Posts: 4
    I had similar problems with my 2001 Saab 9-5, which we
    bought 1 yr old, 6yr/100K certified. Since then ~every
    2-3 months something's broken down:

-sunroof strut
    -radio display x 2
    -front wheel bearing
    -ignition cassette : coincidentally also left me stranded
    in Boston, this time on busy I-93 in rush hour
    -paint peeled on front hood, fought w/ Saab for them
    to repaint whole hood
    -turbocharger replaced
    -trunk release
    -ignition key
    -emissions components x 2
    -most recently transmission problems...
    -etc..

we finally got sick of the car, and traded it in at a big
    loss (only got 7K for it, KBB 12K, but no one would want
    to buy such a lemon) --> got a new Toyota Sienna which
    should provide yrs of trouble free driving. Never a
    Saab again!
  • Hello, i am trying to sell a car for my Boss and i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what i can get for it. The car is a 2000 saab 9-5. Manual trans. 21,000 miles. Mint condition. All highway miles. Garaged. Blue. CD player, sunroof, leather interior. My Boss says he only wants 14k, but he said he got it for around 65,000. Is this right? The highest Kelly blue book i can find is about 13K Is the car really not worth that much or is there soemthing else he has forgot to tell me that would make it worth more? Any assistance and or advice about selling would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Walt
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Have you checked the Edmunds Used Car Appraiser? If not that's worth a look and you might also try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed above the post box.
  • ffb13ffb13 Posts: 181
    due to the engine sludge problem look at around 9.or less

even my dealer told me to forget about resale value .

it is that bad.

and the 65 figure new , b.s.
    they are and have been discounted heavily since day 1

my aero 2000 listed for 44.5 and got ti for 39 dec,1999.
  • kimhkimh Posts: 1
    Ditto--has happened to us several times and is in the shop again. Just to add a bit more description of what happenbs to compare if this is identical situation, our car doesn't just seem to stall, but just stops--all the lights flash on and steering wheel, ignition and the gear shift lock up. We couldn't even move it into nuetral to tow it (had to get a tow truck with hydraulic lift.) When the car stalled/stopped, we could barely coast over to the side of the road to get to a safe spot. Like you, we were on a busy road and could have been rear-ended if the car behind us wasn't at a safe distance.

The first time we took it in, Saab said it was a loose battery cable. I am really pushing them this time to get to the real problem because this is incredibly dangerous.

What did you end up doing to fix?
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    We all are incredibly dependent on our cars in this high paced,go,go,go,society...so when our car lets us down we feel betrayed by the manufacturer.It seems that the majority of the posts on this(and most manufacturers)forum
    are negative I'd like to point out that the Edmunds consumer rating of the '05 9-5 model is an avg.of 9.2.Acura TL,Audi A-6,and BMW 3 Series are all at the same 9.2 average and every critics poster-child for reliablilty and quality the Lexus ES-33O comes in at 9.1. Just looking to add some perspective on the big picture vs the snap-shot.
  • wthmwthm Posts: 4
    From when I bought my 2001 Saab 9-5, Consumer Reports
    has downgraded engine reliability to well below
    avg (see most recent CR used car guide).....consumers
    know this and resale value suffers.

Big picture is that the number of negative postings for
    Saab's exceeds any positive postings. This is why I
    got rid of the Saab. There are plenty of other cars
    out there which are more reliable with far better
    resale values.
    Consumer reports as is their norm gives you a reference but are always short on specifics.Most engine problems are with the light pressure turbo 3.0 liter V-6.something you should be aware of if used car shopping.As to new models,Saab dropped the 3.0 V-6 and only offers the 2.3 turbo I-4 in 220H.P or 250H.P. versions for '05 and a single 260H.P. version for the upcoming '06. The 2.3 liter block is an absolute war-horse for Saab,in use since the late 80's and virtually bullet-proof.
  • Hello all,
    I have a final price of $32,025 for 2005 Parchment silver Aero Wagon. It has approximately 5500 miles (a demo-but still new car financing) and has Executive package and Sentronic auto. Is this a good price on a Aero wagon? Tax will be another $2000 or so OTD price would be $34,285 here in Texas. Even though it's a 2005, 2006 remodels will arrive at the dealership soon. Dealership is giving me over $12,000 in discounts, but I think I could pull even better price if I could wait just a bit longer...Also, is Parchment silver a popular color? I could live with the color, but I am concerned in a long run if I ever have to trade this car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Not only a good price but the fact is there are probably not even 20 '05 Aero wagons left in the country at this point.Based on the fact that Saab has a very minimal number of '05 9-5's to move it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will offer any additional subsidies on these models.If you hold off wating for that to happen it's more likely that someone will step up to the plate,buy the car and you'll lose out.The '06 has some nice design and styling changes but the best case pricing scenario would have you at $6-7K. above the '05.
    just saw and tested the new 9.5 and very dissapointed.

so, if you are a saab traditionalist and are thinking of buying a new one .........wait..........

i think that the new car will just dive in sales.

no real changes over the 2000 .
    actually i find the car has been decontented in many areas thou they claim 1360 changes .

yeah sure.

so,sales will be slow and thus good deals to be had in a few months.

just cross shop it with the m35 thr rl 3.5 and others in the same $ 41,000 price range.
    it just cannot compete.

now ,a fully equipped 9.5 2006 sports packg. going for less than $35,000. may just do it .otherwise ????
    Well for starters....2000 9-5 Aero,230H.P.......no Xenon headlights,no stability control,no XM radio,No availibilty of in-dash CD changer,no Prepaid maintenance...M.S.R.P.
    App.$41,000. 2006 9-5 Sedan W/Sport Pkg....260H.P. ALL THE ABOVE STANDARD....M.S.R.P.$35,915.We have received one Wagon and one Sedan,initial customer reaction:OVERWHELMINGLY positive,Both vehicles sold the first day of arrival.After 11 years selling Saab's I have learned that there is a large contingent of Saab-o-philes who despair over every change made to the vehicle since 1985.Of course if Saab followed their lead we would have gone the way of Renault,Peugeot,Alfa Romeo years ago!
    the 2006 9.5 that i saw had a sticker of $40,785 .

and all it had was the sports pckg. and freight .

like i said , a fully equipped one ,and i mean all the stuff, at 35.o is a yes .

otherwise is a no.

as far as saabphiles is concerned ,saab lost most of them the moment that gm started to get involved.

i had always wanted a saab . but they were somewhat unreliable and i never did .even when an aquitance of mine bob sinclair used to ru n the company in the usa ,they ,saab had extremely poor customer service.

it was when the p & g guys moved from saturn to saab and started implementing new quality control standards that i decided to get one.i know their systems very well having worked with many of them in the past.and, i expected them to follow through .they did not.
    they screwed things up.

so where we now ........

better cars out there for the same or less money.

i still like my aero. has been great. but will not buy another one.
    again,better cars out there ,more reliable, and better sound systems ,etc....

a real shame .

by the way ,i do own infinity and others including another tragic loss due to reliability problems ,mb.

so, you may not agree . but a few saab dealers had opted out of the brand recently by selling the dealerships..they see the hand writing in the wall,and wagoneer is not capable to turn this ,nor gm around.
    Saab 2006 9-5 sedan w/sport pkg.M.S.R.P.= $35,195
    Dest.= $720.00
    Auto.Trans.= $1,350.00
    Visibility Pkg.= $1,295.00
    Mica Metallic Paint= $550.00
    TOTAL M.S.R.P.= $39,110.00

Order your car in non-metallic Black w/5 spd.manual transmission(my preference) M.S.R.P.= $37,210.
    Yes, you can drive the car's price up with Onstar and Navigation if you want them but I can buy the $37,210 car I speced out for under $36K.any day,all day!!!!
    the point is ,a fully equipped 9.5 ,and i did say before , fully equipped ,at under 35 $ is a go.from a list of what $ 41.5 or 42 ?

but ,a stripped one ,or say a base model ,at 30.0$ maybe.but too high at 35.

keep in mind that the new radio is inferior to the one in my 2000 aero.
    the leather in the seats is not as subtle as in mine.it is grainer and coarser.
    and other.........
    the word is decontented.
    and yes ,in 2000 my car listed at 42.5 or so,and i did get it for under 38 in december 2004.

so on this basis the new car,5 years newer,at the same price point as my 2000 appears to be a good deal.. but is it really ?

i went to the dealer planning to get the new one ,2006.
    i walked away.
    and as much as i like saab ,i have walked away.

and now looking at either the rl or maybe the new s class or the m35 or 45.

i am happy with my fx35 and may go the infin ity route again.

the point is ,that saab ,for the year 2006 has lost a repeat customer.

i still like the feeling of driving a saab,and the 32 mpg at 85 mph on long trips .

i may come back but not now.the car is not worth it at this time.
    the post above should read

" for under 38 in december of 1999 "
    Try and keep your facts separate from your opinions.If you don't like the re-design you are entitled to your opinion.You keep referring to the car as being "de-contented" and as proof of that you say you feel the leather is "grainier and coarser"...which,fact or not,is a matter of personal taste. As to the sound system it is the GM Prestige system which features the same HarmonKardon amplification(200 watts)and 9 HK speakers as your current car.The control unit is what GM calls their Bow tie system and is irrelevant to sound quality....and even with all the so-called de-contenting you refer to,the car now has standard XM Satellite radio and an in dash 6 disc CD changer,neither available in the higher priced previous years.
    well, it appears that only you and i are on this board for now.

when the car ,9.5 first came out ,this board ,i was told ,was the busiest in edmunds.just . go back and look at the number of posts vs. now.

look at it now.

and if you do not know why ,just look at why the only way you can move these cars out is due to highly subsidized leases.( this has been going on for some time now )

de contented cars------------the 9.5 has been decontented.it is a fact.you can argue all you want. but in my opinion it has been decontented here and there .
    and yes you now get better headlights. but are they really ?

the leather is an inferior quality grain from before. not subjective.this is my observation.

the prices are the same as the year 2000 because gm has decided to back out of artificial pricing or should we say away from inflating or creating an artificially high msrp ,to be able to give discounts and make the end price look like a good deal ,and now they have decided to go into a lower msrp by taking away the cosmetics.

you are obviously a dealer and as such you have to stand up for your product. which is fine.

but ,customers are slowly beginning to see the light ,not only with saab ,but also other brands.

and , i do like the way the car looks now . and you may get some new buyers. but repeat sales ?????/i do not know.

i think that the car no longer delivers on the saab brand promise.
    it has lost ground to competition and failed to remain as it was originally positioned.
    and worse ,its reliability is in the pits right down there with yugo and vw..
    just read consumer reports.

and when this happens ,repeat sales are lost . and repeat sales has been saab strenght over the years.
    now, it has become another gm brand or should i call it casualty to be in the gm stable.
  • smu1976smu1976 Posts: 110
    I had a 99 9-5 six banger, only one visit to the shop for the three year lease for repair. 2002 Aero Wagon, in the shop three times, about once a year, little stuff. 2004 Toyota Avalon XLS, fully loaded, sticker over 35K, constant problems, electrical, fit and finish, plastic cracking, wires cut to short under seats, (nearly more repairs than my 92 9000 Griffen Edition which has delayed my retirement by 5 years, but the Griffen still holds the title). I knew the service manager so well at Saab, he now comes over for dinner at Thanksgiving and Christmas). 99 Chevy Suburban, only in shop twice in six years. 2002 Honda S2000, never one time in the shop once (only 13K though). I guess its all relative, i.e. how you care for your car, how many miles, what conditions, how you drive, etc., I surely would not put a Saab over a Honda or any [non-permissible content removed] model for that fact, nor any german model, nor do I think the above poster has any reference on a 9-5 being the most "reliable" car in ownership (initial satisfaction, JD Powers, but not trouble free ownership), but its been my dealt hand, that I bought. But damn, Saabs are fun to drive, and I just love the smart engineering, ergonomics, safety, Onstar, Tune-box, WeatherBand, Great, Great Seats, Seat Warmers that cook your [non-permissible content removed] and a 4 cylinder that will smoke the tires, so the hell with the ratings game. Too bad they don't teach most the salesman about the car though, they are so poorly informed and the consumer looses out, for few ever read the manuals to know some of the neat features, attributes, reasons for particulars of manufacturing, etc., of these cars. PS, In my book (which is at the 2nd grade reading level) the 9-2 and 9-7 or only about 15% Saab. Shame on GM for doing this to Saab. Jack up a 9-5 Wagon and add all wheel drive. Monster Garage would crank it out in a weekend. It worked for Audi/BMW/Volvo.