Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Honda Odyssey Discussion

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,652
    Very good summary.

Some pople just love to find things to complain about.
  • siggie1siggie1 Posts: 56
    kcwell:

1. Is it supposed to be a pun that you've "heard" that the road noise has gotten better?
    2. Yes, it may be my particular vehicle. I make no claim that it is a common occurrence.
    3. Sorry to hear you don't trust your wife or passenger not to open the doors.
    4. Again, sorry to hear that what your wife may do would disturb you so much that it would cause an accident. Do you trust your own driving capabilities?
    5. Honda touts the voice activated control as a prominent feature. As such, it should work a lot better than it does. Would I ever use it to control the A/C? Probably not, but it is required for some functions (see the Bluetooth discussion in #7 below), so there is no way to avoid its poor performance.
    6. It's a poor argument to say the NAV is good enough because there are others that are much worse. Have you compared the Odyssey's NAV system with your average $300 after-market NAV? The Odyssey's performance and features are lacking.
    7. I did not discuss Bluetooth pairing. I discussed how outbound calls don't automatically get routed to the Bluetooth system and require a vocal command of "transfer" to switch the call to the Bluetooth system. As far as I know, there is no other way of transferring a call to the Bluetooth system, and because the speech recognition system is so poor, it rarely transfers correctly. The other problem with the Bluetooth system is that is supposed to be hands-free. Requiring a steering wheel mounted button to be pushed for every command is hardly hands-free. If you are happy with the Bluetooth system, great! I'm not. I've had the opportunity to compare it to the system in another vehicle I own and found the Odyssey's system to be lacking.
    8. I'm wondering what you do for a living? I sense it is not a technical position. Have you ever heard of a hazard analysis? Do you understand the concept of an interlock? Do you understand why there are two switches that are both required to be set before the cruise control will engage? If one of those switches is allowed to always be on then there is no interlock and even a simple hazard analysis (which is what my user story was meant to portray) will reveal that it is a faulty design.
    9. How many kids do you have, or does your wife ever invite with her? Does your wife ever lose track of how many have actually gotten into the car? How come you don't trust your wife to open the sliding doors (see #3), but yet you trust her to know where your kids are in relation to the vehicle with a sonar system that may, or may not, be activated? What's with calling me a "troll?" Is it your m.o. that if you can't respond to issues with the facts you resort to name calling?
    10. As I demonstrated multiple times in my post, I have read the manual. I have no problem controlling the entertainment system. My wife, a veterinarian, however, does not have an engineering degree and she does have a problem. If a highly educated, non-technical person has a problem with the system, then Honda has a problem.
    11. By indicating this is "sour grapes" does that mean you think the NAV system, entertainment system and driver information system should not be integrated? You'd prefer that they work independently, inconsistently, and relatively poorly?
    12. Yes, I am tired of pushing a button for a function setting that should be retained. Why the insults? Do you have a vested interest in defending the Odyssey against legitimate criticism?
    13. Again, why the insults?
    14. Again, insults and yet I've documented where Honda indicates in the manual not to perform an operation that is an everyday occurrence. If Honda had stated that you should not keep the power steering at one lock extreme for a specified amount of time, fine. But they don't. They leave it up to the owner to interpret what "holding it there" means in terms of time. I presume that if your power steering pump failed you would dutifully report to Honda that, "Yep, I held the steering at lock for too long and I should have known better, so please don't cover this under warranty."
    15. I'm not assuming that Honda would create a product that could handle anything I want to tow. But, to require an oil and transmission cooler when all I want to "tow" is a bicycle rack is counter-productive, especially in a family vehicle. Honda could have easily stated in their warranty that it's fine to have a trailer hitch, and to have one without the oil and transmission coolers, so long as you don't have the wiring for the brakes and lights. In that way they could allow the use of a trailer hitch for items such as a bicycle rack without the risk of towing something beyond the capabilities of the vehicle.

It would be beneficial to this discussion if you could avoid the insults and instead focus on the issues being discussed. Insulting someone doesn't help convey the information people are looking for in these forums.
    When the difference between an LX and a Touring model is, in many ways, the features I'm highlighting problems with, then yes, I agree, the LX is probably a better value. However, I want the features that the Touring model is supposed to deliver, but I want them to be present, to work correctly, to be safe, and to deliver value. Unfortunately, in the 2008 model which I have, I don't think those features are delivered in that way. We'll see whether the 2011 model delivers.

I see by your screen name that you sell Hondas. Do you own an Odyssey? Have you had to live with the problems I've highlighted?

As far as not hearing other gripes, do you follow up with your customers? If so, after how long? In what detail? Perhaps if you were more aware of these problems, and did not dismiss them as griping, then you could better address your customer's needs and provide better service to them. That may lead to more sales and repeat business.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    Couldn't agree more with your reasoning. Putting out insults to someone listing seemingly genuine problems doesn't help win argument. I am going to hope this person doesn't work in Honda's customer service dept or we are all doomed. :(
    Yes, I do follow up with my customers. I'll call them every six months for the first three years. They are never too shy to share complaints with me and that's fine.

As far as repeat business,a fter 14 years, a large percentage of my sales are to repeat and referral customers but I do appreciate your advise.

I agree, a Touring Odyssey is very complex and were I to buy an Odyssey, it's model I would have no use for. The extra features would not be in the least of importance or value to me. I would probably buy an EXL. I have no use for Navagation. But, that's me.

You have bought a very compllcated car and it just seems that you are complaining about the items that make it complicated.

And, yes, I find your complaints to be, for the most part, very petty in nature. Others don't seem to be bothered by the things that bother you.

I am relly surprised to hear your complaints about the NAVI syytem and the voice commands. Most people feel that Honda has the absoulte best NAVI system of any car out there. I had a manager from a Car Toys store tell me that his customers come in looking for a system " just like Honda's"

He told me he tells his customers that even if they spent 10,000 he has nothing that compares. You probably would be happier with a dash mounted Garmin.

I am sorry you are so unhappy with your Odyssey and I'm glad that others don't seem to share your feelings.

We are, indeed, all different with different expectations.
    I agree. There was no need for insults or name calling.

I hope my response wasn't taken as an insult.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Posts: 508
    There's no way this guy is a troll--a troll would not make that much of a detailed list. So I think that's unfair.

I'm not sure that I agree with all the criticisms, but I don't have a Touring model and I don't have navi or RES, so...stuff like the sunroof placement is a bit ridiculous and takes away from the legitimate complaints that seem to be sprinkled through that list.

I think the question becomes--would any manufacturer's execution of these items meet your needs? I'm guessing perhaps not. Just from digging through the new Sienna a little bit, I can already see some things that I would find irritating, just like in my Odyssey. I can't evaluate it because I haven't driven it or lived with it, but the point is that with all these rather complicated functions, the execution seems to be vary and leave some people cold (ie BMW's iDrive.)

Personally, I'd rather focus on the bigger picture stuff---for me, that's getting the transmission/torque converter issues under control (mine is starting to have that problem--"juddering"--and better acceleration. I'm disappointed that they have not upgraded the powertrain at all to keep pace with the Toyota's. I have driven the previous-gen Sienna and it is noticeably faster than the Odys. I think in this segment, its not so much a matter of great acceleration numbers, but rather a more effortless, quieter powertrain capable of hauling lots of people and stuff. If you think about it, 240 hp isn't that much considering we're talking about a 5,000 pound vehicle that frequenly has hundreds of extra pounds of people and gear in it.

My biggest fear is that Honda will "Accordize" the cockpit--I was a big fan of the previous gen Accord, I really dislike the new one. Same thing for the Pilot's cockpit. The Ody is borderline as it is, but the new Accord and Pilot have way too many buttons and a confusing dash layout. The new Sienna is on track in terms of dash/interior layout.
    It always amazes me how different people perceive things.

Anytime a model changes there are som (most) who applaud the changes while others ask why Honda took a good thing and messed it up.

Some people used to complain about the spare tire on the door of the older CRV's and now I hear people saying " It doesn't look like a CRV anymore".

Or 90% of my customers just hate a color and another customer will have me do a 300 mile dealer trade to get that color.

I hear it all and I tune it out.." Why would they mount the sunroof swith THERE?"

Then I'll never hear that from another person.

Seriously, I jut think some people just like to find things to complain about.

As far as the Sienna's power, have you compared quarter mile times? Do you like the mushy, floaty ride? Some people do. They want thier mini van to ride like a ten year old Buick.

I had a customer recently buy an Odyssey over a Sienna. Why? She didn't like the way the dash lights looked on the Sienna. Geeze
    Quarter mile--15.8 for the Sienna, 16.6 for the Odyssey. That's significant--you can legitimately feel that.

As far as ride, no, at least with the last-gen, that's why I bought an Odyssey. It handled a LOT better. I have not driven the 2011 Sienna, supposedly it is better than the previous-gen Sienna but still not as good as the Odyssey.

Obviously you are right on personal preference, but there are a lot of people, including most of the automotive press, that have criticized Honda for the current-gen dash/interiors. Just too busy, too complicated. I sat in an Acura TSX Tech the other day and it felt like the cockpit of a 777.

Hopefully. Honda will tone it down a bit with the 2011 Odyssey!
  • nobonobo Posts: 305
    edited March 2010
    Yikes. We have been considering the 2010 Odyssey, and we have two 24" wide dog crates that load from the rear of the van. Didn't realize the pivot points were going to be an issue. Thanks for bringing this point up.

We have looked at the 2011 Sienna XLE. When you take the middle two seats out, the bases remain. Not good at all. Sienna still has road noise. Very disappointing.

Now I find out Honda has mechanical problems with torque converters, etc. :(
  • gene00gene00 Posts: 113
    edited March 2010
    1. PAX (hate em, now an option!) run-flats are generally noisier than standard tires, maybe sleeker new design will have less wind noise
    2. bad luck on your part for b-pillar plastic
    3&4 Agree on door & sunroof switch placement, very handy in the middle (see BMWs)
    5. I use speech only for phone, (works fine), I can't get used to telling my car what temp I want
    5.NAV is fine. Lots of aftermarket NAVs are better than all built-in units
    7. disagree - sometimes I want my call to be private on my phone. Initiate bluetooth calls using voice, practice it until you get it working well for you
    8. Cruise control switch - would also prefer a soft switch but they're more $. not a biggie since there is a 2-switch system
    9. agree on the sonar implementation, please separate them
    10. The entertainment system is fine, just spend 10 minutes (not while driving) practicing and your wife will know how to use it forever
    11. probably saves $ to have separate components, but I would love more synergy
    12. true on the info system, annoying to change it every time
    13. would love the option of a fixed storage unit between the front seats
    14. it's probably CYA language - just don't drive with the wheel cranked for hours
    15. there should be a nation-wide standard for bike-only hitches, like a different size ball or something. go aftermarket in the meantime.
    16. haven't checked out the headlight off timer
    16 (you had two 16s). only way to fix the conversation mirror is to make it bigger and that ain't gonna happen. I have no problem with it's limited functionality
    17. I say lose the ECO system. 1 more MPG ain't worth it. By design it only kicks in when the engine is already running at it's most efficient. Nice try though, keep the innovations coming.
    18. a little more telescoping/tilting range would solve this
    19. agree - the 20% oil life should come on once then go away until oil change time
    20. they can't protect against everything. sounds like another one-time learning thing about closing the door manually
    21. heated seat and mirror buttons really should be soft buttons which switch off when the car is turned off
    22. I would prefer that the seat moves when you unlock the car rather than upon door opening, but I've gotten used to getting right in and going along for the ride. By the time my butt hits the seat it's already moved far enough so that I don't bump knees getting in
    23. yes, not the best placement for the seat heater switch and please make it a soft switch
    24. yes, bring back the power port
    25. auto-volume control varied by speed is a nice feature, but way down my list
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    It takes great courage to acknowledge our follies. My hats off to you for sending this note. Be well!!
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    "Just when I think I've heard it all, a list like this!!"

Way to go "Isellhondas" Just keep your arrogant attitude flowing on this forum. 1 year ago my family had 3 Honda Odyssey's an 06,08 and 09 I would guess we spent around $85,000 for them and bought them new. Well I traded mine and so did my brother because they had so many problems and when we took them back to the dealer we had to deal with people like you. My other brother is looking to get rid of his also. So go ahead and insult the people who have paid you wages in the past.
    That post wasn't directed at you nor was it meant to be an insult in any way.

It's just that I hadn't heard of most of those complaints before.
  • gwrace1gwrace1 Posts: 24
    And here I thought Hondas had no problems and were bullet proof. Makes me glad I'm still driving my 15 year old AMERICAN made Dodge Grand Caravan. It's been bulletproof with only regular maintenance required.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    Hey just an enthusiast here sharing a link....looks very close to the concept :shades:
    2012 Odyssey spy shots
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,374
    It does look close for sure. Never noticed that rear overhang before...looks like it might be longer?
  • shekersheker Posts: 4
    Any body has idea on 2011 Odyssey prices ?
    After seeing 2011 design pictures i stopped my plans for 2010 Odyssey buy.But in $30,000 we are getting 2010 EXL version OTD.With same 2010 EXL(Leather) features ,what we can expect the price for 2011 ?
  • kohyutakohyuta Posts: 16
    To counter your post, we had a 2003 Honda Odyssey, and racked up over 80k miles on it, with only regular maintenance required. We liked the upgrades Honda made, so we decided to trade in for a 2008 Odyssey, and have only had regular maintenance required.

We have friends who had a 2003 Town & Country, which had an alternator replaced, transmission replaced, front engine mount replaced, and numerous interior quality issues. They got themselves a 2006 Honda Odyssey, and haven't had a problem yet.

And Odysseys are made in CANADA, which probably is still tainted in your worldview (implied by your AMERICAN comment). Every car maker has good and bad luck. I'm glad you've had good luck with your Caravan, just as I'm glad we've had the same luck with our Odysseys.
  • ajseaglesajseagles Posts: 13
    Not a fan of the new design based on those pics. Looks like a Nissan Quest got taken advantage of by, well, an uglier Nissan Quest.
    Our Odyssey was assembled in Alabama. According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants Odysseys are not assembled in Canada.
    Actually, the Town and Country/Grand Caravan is made in Canada, while the Ody, as the previous poster said, is made in Alabama.

There are issues with lots of cars...and now I've had some issues with the torque converter on my Odyssey. So, reliability-wise, I'm not blown away. That said, the CR reliability reports speak for themselves. And no, they aren't a fluke, or biased against this car or that car. The build quailty of the Chrysler twins is clearly not great--you can tell that just be touching the plastic on the dash.
  • gene00gene00 Posts: 113
    Last time they had a model re-do (2004 -> 2005) here were the MSRP differences:

2004 LX $24,490 2005 LX $25,195 (+2.9%)
    2004 EX $26,990 2004 EX $28,195 (+4.5%)
    2004 EXL $28,490 2005 EXL $30,495 (+7.0%)

So, doing a straight extrapolation:
    2010 LX $26,805 2011 LX $27,585?
    2010 EX $29,905 2011 EX $31,250?
    2010 EXL $33,405 2100 EXL $35,745?

This is a rough guess, they may try to hold the line on prices if the economy stays slow, they may keep the LX under $27k so it looks better, who knows? You won't be getting prices below invoice for the first several months, I'm pretty sure about that.
  • gwrace1gwrace1 Posts: 24
    That must be why the Chrysler Minivans have outsold every other make and model. They must be crap because they are American made. Mine was made in St; Louis not Canada. There is always Toyota if you like instant acceleration air bags popping out and brakes that don't work. I was a Consumer Reports subscriber for many years and finally gave up on them. They have such a preconceived perception of quality from the Japanese auto makers that often time new models were highly rated before they were even tested or reliability ratings calculated. Don't tell me they were objective.
  • kohyutakohyuta Posts: 16
    Chrysler minivans were the top-selling minivans until 2007, when the Odyssey took the #1 spot. And that was in spite of Chrysler's fleet sales, which can boost sales numbers quite a bit. Chrysler may still have the cumulative lead, but that's because they were the only ones making a minivan for so many years. And even so, having the highest sales numbers doesn't necessarily mean the best quality. McDonald's sells the most meat of any restaurant, but I wouldn't call it a quality meal.

Chrysler invented the minivan, and from 1983 until about 2003 were the best in the business. The competition caught up to them (Ford, Toyota, Honda), and they've been playing catch up. In 2003, we cross-shopped, and we liked the Odyssey the best. Out of curiosity I checked the Chryslers again in 2008, and still liked the Odyssey better.

No one here has said that American-made=crap. As pointed out, the Odyssey is American-made in Alabama. Everyone has different opinions, your Caravan has served you well... great! Our Odyssey has served us well too.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Posts: 144
    What year is your Odyssey? I am interested in buying a 2010, but I wonder if Honda has fixed their transmission/torque converter/soft brake problems.
    We have 2 large dogs, too, but we don't use crates. We put them in safety harnesses and attach the harness to a seat belt.

There is a website (www.dogcars.com) that reviews vehicles for their "dogginess". :)
    You might check out the reviews at www.dogcars.com
    Well, you can believe whatever you want. It is your money. The St. Louis Assembly plant was shut down in October of '08 and hasn't reopened, but...if you makes you feel better to believe that the Dodge and Chrysler are still built there, knock yourself out. The rest of us know that they are all built in Ontario now, but whatever.

And if you want to believe that the Chrysler vans are outselling every other model, again, feel free. The rest of us actually look at sales figures, so we know that the Odyssey has been the best selling van for some time now. Even including fleet sales, which have made up a large percentage (I've seen some estimates that it could be as much as half) of Chrysler minivan sales.

As far as CR--again, whatever floats your boat. The reliability ratings are based on large numbers of user responses so I don't find attacks that they are "biased" to be credible. CR has given several American models good reviews, and one of the most reliable vehicles on the market according to CR is the Ford Fusion. In addition, their "top pick" in the large SUV category is the Chevy Traverse, over the Toyota and Honda.

In the minivan category, yes, they rank the Chrysler twins poorly and the Toyota and Honda highly. As a consumer,. I came to the same conclusion.
  • ajseaglesajseagles Posts: 13
    My wife and I would have bought a Routan if the Chrysler were any good, because the technology features were so much cooler than the Odyssey and even the new Sienna, for the money. But when you step up to the better engine (which is necessary for a fair comparison), the Ody is actually cheaper to buy at comparable trim levels. Heck, even the Kia was more expensive (not MSRP but likely actual cost) when putting on the options. My wife liked riding in the Odyssey better than the Sienna - if not it would have been a tough call between the two.