Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Genesis Sedan

2»

Comments

• toyetoye Posts: 351
    Were we all kicked off "If there was room for Hyundai in the luxury market"

I was kicked off about a month ago...was anybody else? I miss Fintail, Backy and of course Captain!!! lol
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    It was shut down by the hosts. I guess it ran its course. It was certainly a fun one.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    it is an interesting note that CR in its most recent comparo did include the Gen V8 in a 'luxury' class that in this case included the G37 and 535. They seemed to think the V8 was largely a waste of the extra money, and spent more than a few sentences on the ride problems. It seems they avoid the whole lux perception issue by simply qualifying luxury cars as something over $40k. The 3.8 is upscale to them, the V8 luxury. Makes no sense to me, there has to something in how a vehicle *and a brand) is perceived beyond just price.
    anyway, lest I get this forum shut down as well- I still think that Hyundai needs to 'separate' the Gen products or they will never be thought of in the same category as those cars that CR just tested it with :confuse:
    I noticed here in South Florida that the local Hyundai dealership is now promoting the Genesis in high end maginzines that before BMW, MB, LEXUS, AUDI an JAGUAR were the only automobiles featured. Tides a changing!!
  • Well, I noticed that Car driver really has emphasized the Lexus-like demeanor of the car on it's long term road test V8 Genesis, then selected the Genesis 3.8 over other "upscale" but not luxury cars in a comparo against the Lexus ES350, Buick LaCrosse, and some other car, maybe the SHO, but termed that NONE of the cars were "fun" to drive.

Now they are saying that the new 2011 BMW 5 series is no longer fun to drive, now that it has some back seat room (though not like the Genesis).

There is some drop in Quality on the small finishing touches inside the Genesis. The dash buttons are scratching in mine, and the leather driver's seat in my "premium" 3.8 is already very darkened to an unattractive color despite attention to cleaning, and conditioning.

There are a lot of vagaries out there, but I consider reliability, and a truly useful back seat "Luxuries", and I also consider "Value" a luxury. So the Genesis was the right car for me, and I compared DIRECTLY to the '10 535, and felt better in the Genesis. Yeah, somewhat will ding me for that opinion. The old 535 has a miserable little back seat, but the auto writers constantly describe it as roomy, and even Consumer Reports did so.

But the Genesis 3.8 has a weight distribution that makes it fun (for me) to drive around town, and though I was tempted by the value of the V8, I chose the V6 for that reason. The 8 felt nose heavy in comparison.

One disappointment? The gas mileage of the 6 just isn't much better.
  • arboledaarboleda Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    I bought a 4.6 2011 sedan this past weekend and thought I'd share some thoughts.

I was looking for something 70% luxury and 30% sport. I test drove the 335xi (mostly sport), the Mercedes C class (too few features and a tad small), the Avalon (nice but boring), and the E350 (good size but low on power and features).

When I test drove the Genesis, it put a big smile on my face. I loved it. The ride was very quiet (I think the quietest of all the cars I drove) and the suspension was great on smooth surfaces though bumpy on non-smooth surfaces.

The engine was great. It doesn't have slam-your-head back acceleration like the 335i did, but it's got plenty of power on tap.

The feel of the leather seats is fantastic! If it's a very soft, expensive feeling leather to me.

On the road, the car is very smooth at high speeds. At low speeds, I do note an odd hesitancy in the transmission. You seem to have to engage the gas petal more at low speeds than higher speeds.

Some of my favorite features:

- Adapative cruise control which I use on the highway. It senses proximity to the car in front of you and will match the speed (assuming you set the cruise control higher than the car in front). When there's no one in front, it reverts to the set cruise control speed.

- Lots of automatic things: lights, windshield wipers, rear shade. Driver's seat is initially all the way back and the steering wheel up. When you start the car, it shifts to a memorized position (there are two memory spots).

- Fantastic audio system. I have an iPhone 4 and it integrates very well.

All in all, I love the car. It's not perfect but at its price I don't think anything can beat it. Mine is black on black. I purchased it in Lindon, Utah.
    Congratulations on your purchase of the Genesis.

Consumers Report has now been able to confirm what Genesis owners already know and they are now recomending the Genesis sales will likely to continue to rise!
  • Looking at a 2010 Genesis but was surprised to see it is real wheel drive. Being in MA, I am concerned. Anyone had experience with the car in snow
    edited October 2010
    The car is an absolute handful in the snow on the stock Dunlop tires. It's really bad. I have read here, and elsewhere that with snow tires its acceptable. IMO if you want a Genesis in your neck of the woods get snows.

• thanks for your advise..should I be concerned even with snows?
    If you are used to a RWD car I would say yes. There was a thread on this somewhere here or on another forum. When I get a chance ill look it up for you.

• I have a 3.6 with less than 1000 miles that has been in the shop twice for this issue. When accelerating from stop or crawl, vehicle intermittently hesitates in acceleration (no rpms), then all of a sudden it catches hold and lurches forward at greater than anticipated speed as I have accelerated more since it didn't move forward initially upon pressing the accelerator. On one instance, I thought the engine had died. It's been in the shop twice and each time they indicated they couldn't get it to replicate my problem. Thus, they made no adjustment. It seems to be doing it less as I get more miles on it, but is still doing it less frequently. Any input would be appreciated.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    How long did they keep your car? On an intermittent issue such as this one, you might to let them hold the car for several days to see if they can duplicate the issue. It would be no good for them to adjust something if they don't know what to adjust in the first place. I had a customer come in with an intermittent issue with her a/c and kept her vehicle for 2 weeks unable to duplicate her concern, I have not seen her since. If you trust the service team at that dealership, than let them hold onto your car for a couple days if you haven't already.
    hen accelerating from stop or crawl, vehicle intermittently hesitates in acceleration (no rpms), then all of a sudden it catches hold and lurches forward at greater than anticipated speed as I have accelerated more since it didn't move forward initially upon pressing the accelerator.

This is due to the transmission logic. The car is in a higher gear and it holds it as long as possible for fuel economy. My car does it too and my previous car (06 Toyota Avalon with an Aisin transmission like the Gen) did it as well. After driving the car for a while you can get used to it and feather the gas just right to almost avoid it all together.

This sounds crazy, but there is one way to get the computer to downshift a little faster. Since the tranny "learns" your driving behavior, when you drive with light foot it holds the gear as long as possible. Within reason (in a safe place) be a little hard on the car (a few full throttle applications) and the computer usually will downshift a little faster eliminating the "lag".

• I've had a similar experience. It almost feels like the car is out of gear and then goes into gear while I feather the accelerator.

http://mygenesisblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/first-blog.html
  • I just recently resolved the latent accelerator issue. It took 4 times into the dealership before they sent a factory engineer to the rescue. It turned out to be related to my driving/braking pattern and a new safety feature on the vehicle. I brake most of the time with my left foot and accelerate with my right. The Genesis and many new vehicles I am told have a sensor that prevents one from accelerating while the brake pedal is being depressed. Since I am a "two footer" and brake with my left, when I am at stop or in slow traffic I keep my left poised on the brake, thus it precludes my ability to accelerate until I completely remove my foot from the brake. Since learning of this by the factory rep I have not had any issues.
  • That's interesting. I am starting to feel like either my car has gotten better about throttle response or I'm getting used to it. I guess it'll get better over time.
  • fc3wfc3w Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 4.6 Genesis but have not picked it up yet. During the test drive the adaptive cruise worked fine. However, it slowed down a considerable distance from the car ahead, which in some situations could be a problem. After the fact, I wondered whether this feature has a sensitivity adjustment or can be turned off at the driver's discretion. I didn't have a chance to ask salesman although I doubt he would have known. Can anyone help me with this question?
  • pulone1pulone1 Posts: 1
    why so many loaners? problems with your '09?

b
    Yes,
    I've had it randomly die on me, (dealer was stumped, Hyundai corporate said to clean and re-torque all grounds) hasn't done it since.

Various interior trim pieces needed to be replaced (b-pillars tore, sunvisor light died)

the power tilt/telescopic wheel problems (still not fixed, has a mind of its own)

power passenger seat spit out parts from underneath

The engine makes some really nasty noises on startup (dealer claims normal).

My dealer also offers loaner for oil changes. Add all this up and you can see why I've had my share of loaners. I've driven just about every Genesis combo out there.

12 months and one week to go on the lease, :) :) :) :)

• gdblakegdblake Posts: 18
    I have a 2011 4.6l Genesis, too. The adaptive cruise control has a 3 option setting to set the distance you desire from the car ahead. I haven't had any trouble with mine and I usually use the middle distance spacing.
2»
This discussion has been closed.