Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I am thinking along the same lines about the mirror. There ought to be a deactivate feature for the auto-dimming mirror.

As far as auto-rear-defrost function. I agree here also. It annoys me to have to turn it off. Other than the design of the off switch fot the climate control, I like the system very much for the following reasons:

1. The adjustable temperature front-vents are a nice feature. Although it's been a long time since I've had them in a car. My last car was a '94 Maxima.
    2. The settings rarely have to be adjusted and the system is great at keeping the temperature constant.
    3. The auto button can be pressed for auto fan regulation without turning on the A/C.
    4. The air can be directed upward without turning on the A/C or activating the "turbo" defrost mode. Or if you want one touch defrost, it's there also. Additionally, there is added flexibility in being able to direct the air anywhere that is wanted.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Posts: 388
    What is this??? Even though my car has rarely seen temps in the 30's, I have never seen this function. Does the manual mention this?
  • Don't have this on my '01 330i with premium and didn't have it on my '00 323 with premium. Never heard of it. May be one of the programmable features you can have the dealer set for you but I've never even heard of them being able to do this. The only thing my car does is when the temp hits 37 deg the temp on the OBC starts to beep.
  • Is anyone aware of the new pricing for the 2004 models? I was all reday to purchase a 2003 325C but decided to wait for the 2004 model since it's only just a couple months away. Dealer told me that the price will probably go up by $700 to 750 at the most.
    Also how much should I expect to pay for a new model? Since I probably need to make a special order (I want Sport Pkg, Moonroof, heated seats, manual), will I have any room to shave off the MSRP? B/c I am thinking that if I need to pay close to MSRP, then I might as well go the ED route. Appreciate your input.
  • Your concern about having to pay MSRP for special order is the very reason why I never considered it. Every dealer I have encountered told me that you will pay MSRP for special order(I never raised the question to everyone but I think you get my point)While I was negotiating for either a 330i or 325ci (all in stock vehicles or cars on the way)it had occurred to me that none of the vehicles I had to choose from were exactly what I wanted. I decided to put together a 330i exactly how I wanted and the vehicle came out around $400 less than the 330 vehicles in stock that I was deciding between. I went back to the dealer with the exact car that I wanted and explained that this is the only way you will see me in a BMW. He explained that the manager was putting pressure on them to sell cars in stock and that he would be happy to order my car. On top of that he lowered the lease payment which we negotiated on the in stock 330's. The end result;
    a lower lease payment on a special order. I do think that a few factors helped my situation.

1. This was our second trip and both times we spent several hours there

2. I already had a low ball figure on 330's in stock

3. They were willing to work with me to avoid loosing a sale.

4. He knew we had dealt with another BMW dealer before we came to see him

I hope this info helped.
  • bgt1bgt1 Posts: 50
    I debated between the 325 and 330 too. Most people say that the 325 is very nice BUT if they drive them back to back they end up preferring the 330. According to the stats, they both hang together overall BUT I can feel a difference in low end torque on the 330. But if you have a 325 with a manual you can rev that engine all the way to redline. Both inline 6's LOVE to rev and pull all the way to the top. Great engine!

So, if you were to go 325, get the manual. If you think the extra 4-5k is worth the 330 and can afford it, get that. You wont be disapointed in either!!
  • bgt1bgt1 Posts: 50
    Does anyone know if I can put 225's on my 17 x 7 rims? It is my 330i with the standard 17/205 tires- so im assuming they are 17 x 7 rims, right?

When its time to replace my tires Id LIKE to get some 225's. Will they fit on my standard rims or would I have to get new rims too?

If I have to get new rims, I probably just upgrade to 18" rims.

Any input is apprciated- thanks!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    Did everybody see the facelifted 3 coupe in Car and Driver? I think it differentiates itself from the sedan less (I like the current front, but it doesn't matter what I think:) I'm sure I'll love it when I see 'em ripping around the streets.

The 330i Performance Package seems like a good idea too. Hey, more power an extra cog in the tranny, stiffer suspension tuning are always a good thing. Has anybody heard anything on the price of this added on to a 2003 330i?

I finally got a new computer (Dude, I got a DELL). And my cable modem will be arriving on SUnday, so I'll be posting on a regular basis.

Things are going well for me at my Father's plumbing supply shop. It is definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Since I'm back, I've got to stick my $.02 in. For $50 plus thousand dollars, it really angers me (I'd use more explicit language, but TH prohibits it) that the roads here are infested with H2 Hummers. Personally I'd take an M3 Coupe for that price, but hey, that's just me.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• denkdenk Posts: 75
    I have a 2002 325 with premium package. The automatic defrost feature is mentioned in the manual on page 99.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Posts: 388
    Thanks. I guess I missed my window of opportunity to check this out. Maybe we might have frost next week.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    From boston.com:

"Traffic speeds were restricted to 40 mph on the Massachusetts Turnpike.

State police Sgt. David Pane said many of the minor accidents involved four-wheel drive vehicles, apparently with over-confident drivers at the wheel.

"For some reason they feel, because they have that 4-wheel drive they can drive at an increased speed level without losing control," Pane said. "That's a myth."
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    Hey, bud - good to see you back. Glad to hear that things are working out great at your dad's store. I figure the cold winter must be good for a plumbing supply store ;o)

The ZHP is $3,900.
    Yeah, the cold weather is good for business. Pipes break, radiators crack, HW heaters go belly up... How's that old saying go?

I can't believe all the snow we have here in the city. I'm glad I stuck my Prelude in a garage yesterday.

I've been saying for years that 4WD helps you start and does nothing but add weight to increase your stopping distance.

$3900...I guess that's a good bridge between a 330i and an M3.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Don't even get me started on the 4Wd debate, it's like saying all people in fast cars drive dangerously and always speed. Every car has it's uses and in this snow well a big monsta' SUV is the way to go.
    I went to dinner with a friend of mine who has a '98 E36 Dinan M3...WOW, what a car:) E36...still awesome:)

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I just had a scary moment on the interstate with my 2002 325. Passenger side airbag partially deployed causing a loud explosive noise and the car to stop. Luckily nobody was tailgating me at 80mph. This was definitely a malfunction. Has anybody else had problems with faulty airbags? Thanks.
    Howard
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    This weekend my wife and I had a birthday party for our son who turned nine years old last Thursday. The party started as a "Sleep Over", where my son had four of his buddies over on Saturday night, and then on to an establishment that has three very large multi-lane slot car tracks on Sunday. The party itself came off very well (the Mom and Dad didn’t get too much sleep, but other than that…), and all of the boys enjoyed the racing immensely.

Being the car junkie that I am, as the parents did the drop-off/pick-up thing, I was keeping track of their automotive hardware, which went something like this:

Boy #1: Mom – Mercedes-Benz ML430 & Dad – Hummer H2
    Boy #2: Dad – Chevy Suburban
    Boy #3: Mom – Toyota Sequoia & Dad – Land Rover Ranger Rover
    Boy #4: Dad – Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 (Cummins Diesel)

On the way up to the slot car tracks (riding in our lowly Dodge Caravan), they were all bragging about the cool "Cars" that their parents drive, and my son chimed in, "My dad drives a 5-Series."

The instant response, in harmony no less, was, "What's a 5-Series?"

My son said, "A BMW, of course!"

I don’t know who said it, but someone actually said, "Oh, you mean a CAR!"

They then changed the subject; it was like my son had noisily passed gas at a Royal Wedding or something. Later, after all of his buddies had left, my son said, "Daddy, they just don't get it, do they?"

"No son, they don't."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    There is something about driving a land barge that desensitizes you to what driving could and should be like.
    I see your son has learned well:)

I'm sure there's a real need for an ML430 and an H2 in a family. Maybe the guy owns a gas station. Also a Range Rover and a Sequoia seem very practical.

Just think of what the jones' will think when they find out your 530i is a 5-speed, LOL!

At least the Dodge is an oil burner...that's smart!