Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rd330ird330i Posts: 7
    All 330's get the 6-speed effective March '03
    production. Your's should come with the 6-speed.
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Posts: 29
    Jschmoe,

Congratulations on your 330i choice; I ordered one 2 weeks ago. I just talked to my dealer tonight and although rd330i is right about the March 03 production; I think you may be right on the fringe. The dealer sales guys told me that I may be getting a 5 speed because I did not get hit with the $200 price increase. I hope they are wrong and I will gladly pay the $200 for the 6 speed. (However I was also told by anothe dealer that the $200 increase had nothing to do with the 6 speed change). Did you pay the increase? How do you find out what stage of production your car is at? I am told that my car is scheduled to be built on 4/10/03 with a 5/3/03 estimated delivery. I think I am going to make some calls and find out about the 6 speed situation because, besides us, even the salesmen seemed confused. By the way I don't believe the sales rep specifically orders the transmission (manual by default) unless it is a steptronic.

Best Wishes

Dan
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The funny thing about the "125 on Cruise" bit was that we were driving in the middle lane! There was so much hardware out there that wasn't governed like my U.S. Spec 530i (which could easily have gone MUCH faster than the 128 electronic limit), so I simply resigned myself to being marginalized at 125 and hit "Cruise". ;-)

Re: the "35 Hour St. Patty's Party", nope, the plane was not stocked with green beer so I drank copious quantities of green tea instead. Still makes you pee a lot, however, no hangover. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    According to the February 2003 BMW NA Inside Track pamphlet, the MY 2004 3 Series coupes and convertibles are being released this spring, 2003, and the 3.0L models get the 6-speed.

I don't know when the MY 2004 sedans are being released, nor can I say I remember seeing anything about what manual transmission they will use. I'm guessing that since the coupes, convertibles, and PP 3.0ls all use 6-speed, so will the other 3.0l sedans.

Check out the 3/17/03 issue of AutoWeek. An interesting 2-page article on upcoming BMWs, including pictures of the next generation 3 Series. This article says: "Transmission choices will include a new standard six-speed manual (with available sequential manual gearbox shifting) and an optional six-speed automatic." And, finally, all 6-cyls will get "Valvetronic engine controls and Vanos variable valve timing and direct injection."
  • Have a new (300 miles) 03 330i. Have noticed that when driving straight the steering wheel is off-center (slightly turned to the left). The car drives straight - doesn't pull left or right, but wondering if the steering wheel being off-center is an indicator I'm out of alignment. While I've obviously been extremely carefull, we are definitely in the middle of pot-hole season in Minnesota right now! Also, I have driven on a flat parking lot, so don't think the wheel is turned to the left because of road crown. Thanks.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    More ice yesterday and I'm convinced my 325xi is part mountain goat. That thing is SO surefooted.

First question: I know this has been covered, but has anybody successfully attached the standard 2002 stereo system to an amplifier? I'd love to replace the speakers with some MB Quarts, but don't want to do that unless I can give them some more juice.

Comment: Somebody earlier asked about the Valentine installation. Here is a URL for an installation:
    http://www.linquist.net/cars/bmw/v1/new/

I'm not sure if this is the best installation doc, but it covers it pretty well. (Still wanting a V1, but the wife won't let me speed too much!)

-Paul
  • You need to make BMW aware and insist that they correct it. I waited until I returned from E.D. and the dealer said that adjustments could only be made within the first 1000 miles.

I ended up doing the adjustment myself in about an hour. It should only take a few minutes at the dealer. Good Luck
  • djocksdjocks Posts: 124
    A little over a month ago I was very active in here looking for help with my Bimmer! I ended up in a 2003 330i sport/xenons/heated seats.

I just wanted to say it is now about 6 weeks later and it is still the absolute dream I always wanted. I am like a little kid. Everything they say about BMW's is true. It translates to the driver in ways other makes just don't. I could not be happier and I am just glad to say its mine!
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Posts: 208
    seiv: I did not see you at the Car Control school this past weekend. I am sure you were there, but we did not run into each other.

Car Control School / Autocross: This past weekend the BMW CCA Houston had a car control course Friday night and all day Saturday. On Sunday there was an autocross. What a blast. I really drove the car as hard as I could and found the edge. I should have had more air in the tires. I was running 35 front and 38 in the rear (cold) and I lost most of the lateral tread on my fronts from the car control school. Before the Autocrosss I put 42 in front and 44 in the rear and the car handled better for the race. All of the experienced drivers at the autocross said I should have MORE air in the front and less in the rear to INCREASE oversteer. This did not make sense to me. More air up front should decrease the stickiness up there and increase UNDERSTEER. Any comments? FWIW, I found that with 42/44 as I tried above worked well for the autocross and the car had much more oversteer than with 35/38.

fomentar: I have the V1 with the remote display and I wired it into fuse #6 in my car which is the "Makeup mirror light". Wiring it into the BMW xsceiver wiring as mentioned above works, but since I have the remote display I was still going to have a wire running through the roof line and down the A pillar to the remote display. This is why I just wired it into the fusebox and sent one wire up to the unit and the other wire over to the remote display. I ran the wire to the remote display around the center console (you can tuck it into the console) and then through the steering column up into the dash area where I have mounted the remote disply just below the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel behind the windshield washer control arm.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Posts: 208
    FWIW: If your 330 has a 5sp instead of a 6sp, I would not consider this a bad thing. I think the 5sp is a little more fun to drive than the 6sp.

The 6sp is mostly a gimmick IMO and the performance gain in the hands of an average driver is imperceptible (negligible). Maybe a pro driver could get a trace more performance out of it.

Anyone else agree or disagree?
  • I was wondering the same thing, if the 5speed vs the 6 would be that much different. Personally, I dont plan on draging my car or redlining every time, so would perfer only rowing through 5 every day and go without the 6th on the rare occations i might need it, then going with 6 gears everytime. The only real advantage i would see is if they improved the 6th gear for better mpg, I didnt take a close look at the 2003's ratio. I was wondering if there was any improment to the 6 speed?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    The Auto-X guys are correct; more PSI in the front tires= less understeer-more PSI in the rear tires= more understeer. I used to run 48PSI front/40PSI rear in my M6 to make it easier to rotate on the track.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Yes, but...

I love the 6-speed in my 540i6. Now I find myself looking for 6th gear in my work car, which has a 5-speed manual. If 5 is good, 6 must be better. At least that is my subconcious talking.

Key to any manual is matching the gearing to the engine's power curve.

Two advantages for a good 6-speed set up include (1) numerically higher 1st and 2nd gears which allow increased acceleration and (2) an overdrive 6th gear for improved relaxed, fuel efficient high speed cruising.

The current 3 & 5 Series 5-speed manuals are direct drive 5th. But notice that the 5-speed automatics are overdrive 5th.

With 6- and 7-speed transmissions arriving and CVTs getting better, 5-speeds will seem like old 3- or 4-speed tranny within a decade. Time and technology stands still for no one very long.
  • mg330cimg330ci Posts: 162
    The only advantages in my book:

1. If it is a short throw shifter, then it will surpass the current 5-speed because of this.

2. Lower RPM while highway cruising on 6th gear? and I don't now if I really need (or would like) this!
  • seivwrigseivwrig Posts: 388
    I was at the Car Control Clinic on Friday and Saturday. I was the only one out there with an E46 325i. I was wearing the Bayern Munich soccer shirt. I enjoyed myself but I could never come to grips with the emergency lane change. I am convince there is less car control when driving an automatic especially in the area of speed. With a manual, in any one gear, you can only go so fast before the redline limits you.
    Your group during the clinic was an interesting group especially with the M-B CLK 430 and the Volvo S60. The CLK 430 seemed like a real dog.

I was pleased with how my car handled and I will probably buy some Kumhos when I replace my tires this summer. I am a firm believer in what Colin, div2 and brave1 say. The lessons are better than the mods. Given I don't have SP, I did pretty well. I wish I could find a road where I can practice late apexes. I really found the truth to the "faster way between points is a straight line." I'm ready for another driving trip on some British and German B-roads.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,393
    I definitely recall this discussion about a year or so back. Taller 1st and second gears as well as better mpg would be what benefits the 330 the most. However due to the abundance of power available on the 330 already, it does seem a bit gimmicky (read marketing) and would be more suitable for the 325. The taller second gear in a 325 would efinitely put that car in the sub-7 second second range to 60mph. A 6th gear would also be more appropriate in a car like my Prelude which spins 4000RPM at 80mph (I'm not complaining though).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• gwunjgwunj Posts: 26
    Just a thought ... Is the 6th gear an actual overdrive, or did they redo the other gear ratios and still end up with a 1:1 6th?

Glenn
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Both cars have a 2.93 final drive ratio and the forward gears are as follows:

-----6-Speed---5-Speed
    1st----4.35------4.21
    2nd----2.50------2.49
    3rd----1.66------1.66
    4th----1.23------1.24
    5th----1.00------1.00
    6th----0.85------N/A

All in all, I am guessing that the 330i 6-Speed will be a hair faster than the 5-Speed model off the line. In the mid-range, there would be virtually no difference between the cars, and oddly enough, the EPA gives them both the exact same mileage ratings of 21/30 city/highway.

Given the wonderfully broad torque curve of the 3.0 liter BMW engine, I doubt that the new tranny will have any impact on how the car will perform under most circumstances. So, why the 6-Speed? Can you say G35? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • djocksdjocks Posts: 124
    The g35 is a bad customer no doubt. I was in one with my brother (who eventually got an A4 3.0) and no question it can move.

However, my 330i just seems as though it has endless and determined power. How 6 gears would change the feeling of perfection is a little suspect in my eyes. I do think the short throws and to be honest the blacked out trim line would be cool. But its not like my bimmer is a drag to drive.:)!

I sat in the back of the g35 and although it was spacious, I did think the interior was a little cheap looking. The instrument cluster was IMO ugly and the center consul screamed Nissan. Not that this is such a bad thing, I just bought my wife a beautiful black Murano. But the Murano and Infiniti products are sharing many design qualities these days and the BMW seems a class above. The interior was also why my brother got the Audi which might be the best interior in the world!
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    <<< Still makes you pee a lot, however, no hangover. >>> I wish you'd told me that before last night - I would've had a much easier day today :o) I had to go out for a spirited lunch time drive to draw energy from throughout the afternoon ;o)