Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jgraveljgravel Posts: 54
    After much deliberation I've decided to order a 330xi. This would be a commuting car. I've decided on STEP, PP so far.

I'd also like to get controls on the steering wheel but that's not enough to justify the cost of the SP to me. Am I missing something obvious included with the SP?

I'd also like heated seats and the headlight washers but don't care about a ski bag. Is there a way to get the washers without ordering the Cold Weather Package?

Thanks,

-Jay
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    Does anyone know how to reset the avg mph and the avg mpg feature for the computer. I can't seem to locate the answer in the manual and have tried pushing/twisting/pulling the knobs in the computer area but to no avail. I only can figure out how to reset the trip odometer. Who knows, maybe I'll discover accidentally a way to reset the whole odometer! LOL.

Thanks in advance
    FO
  • denkdenk Posts: 75
    If I recall correctly, cycle to the function you want to change and push the button in and hold it until the obc readout changes to dashes.
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Posts: 29
    I think the sp option would be a great choice and value. I am awaiting delivery on a 330i 6 speed, PP, xenon, paint and heated seats and I regret not getting the sports and to some extent the winter package. The reason I didn't is because I worked such a good deal on the above configuration with the dealership owner that I did not want to give the sales guy any reason to wiggle out and reprice(long story). The least thing I regret is not getting the headlight washers and the ski bags with the winter package but I would have liked the fold down rear seats.
  • jschmoe3jschmoe3 Posts: 6
    EUREKA!!!!! Outside my window(unfortunately in the rain)after a 12 year(long story) wait is a '03-330i.6 speed,orient blue,sp,xenons,htd seats.Almost had a heart attack driving home in a monsoon and rush hour traffic,but boy is this car a blast so far.My 1970 340 ply duster was fast and fun,but comes nowhere close to the solid and smooth feel of this car.Can't wait for the break in to be over.I have a state forest nearby that has some interesting curves. To all that have presented helpfull and informative posts,my sincere thanks.I'm sure I'll run into some of you after I join BMWCCA. Good driving...Jschmoe3
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    I have only rotated my tires once at about 13,000 miles (expected mid life of the tires). There are definately two schools of thought on rotation. The BMW owners manual recommends against rotation. Their rationale is that the tires wear in certain patterns and should stay put for reasons of handling. Besides, the cost of rotations every 3,000 miles will exceed the value of increased tread life.

My BMW dealer recommends rotation the same as the connventional wisdom has always been to rotate tires regularly. If rotations were free and your time is not an issue, I still believe in regular rotations. But on BMW original tires it is not free, so I've taken the middle road and rotated mine once. If I tracked my car regularly, driving at high speed, I probably wouldn't rotate the tires. It's just hard to throw away the front rubber with 30-40% of the tread left.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    I think (and I may be wrong on this) that after you rotate the tires, they will settle after a couple of hundred miles and even at high speed you wouldn't be able to notice much of a difference. BTW, even at Lime Rock, I was able to get it up to only ~ 105 on the straight. My rationale for not rotating is more along the lines of practicality. The fronts will last almost twice as long as the rears. So if you like your current tires, just burn through the rears, then replace them, and you should be able to get ~ 50K miles on a total of 6 tires.
  • Hi: I recently purchased a 2003 325 Ci and will pick up on Friday. For those that have this car, I'm curious about which brand of tire comes as stock. I know some manufacturers use a couple of different brands. I'll have the 17' that come with the Sport Package. Just want to make sure that the dealer doesn't switch them out to something really cheap. Have had them sell horrible tires to friends of mine that didn't know better. The road noise was really bad. Any advice appreciated. Cheers!
  • hippo168hippo168 Posts: 115
    ~50K miles on 6 tires? So you expect each of the rears go 25K and the fronts go 50K? I think that's too "demanding", esp for ultra-high performance tires. : )

btw, I just put back my summer tires yesterday, but somehow I don't seem to find the wear indicators on the Conti SportContacts.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    There's a reason why you want the wider rubbers on the rear wheels. Rotating them on a SP would defeat that purpose.

On a related note, it rain quite heavy all day yesterday. Very odd for this time of the year in the Bay Area. All the slow moving SUVs decided to come out, and create a rolling blockade. In those rare instances where the HWY was open, S-03s worked flawlessly. Later in the evening when I got on several twisty side roads, again, no problems.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    Brave, I usually prefer to replace all four tires at the same time, although I know that many replace two at a time. By the way, on our track the max speed is less than 90 in the straight- I never have to get past third gear.

Hippo, on my Conti's the wear bars are in the grooves that run around the tire. They are spaced every few inches. Just run your finger along the groove and you will feel them.

Martini, I think they are either using Conti Sport Contacts or some type of Bridgstone, but I'm not sure since my car is a MY 2000.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    You're probably right that 50K for the fronts is too optimistic. However, when I replaced my Contis at 21.5K, the fronts still had at least half the tread depth even with all the driving schools and autoX events that I had done...
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    on my new 325i I've tried resetting the avg mph and avg mpg by pressing the knob but to no avail. I've tried holding it in for > 15 secs, turning either direction but nothing. Do I have to be in a certain gear, certain key position, door slightly ajar w/ my left arm flexed at 45 degrees etc..... Thanks for any help.
  • denkdenk Posts: 75
    Check page 76 of the manual. It says that average miles per gallon and average speed can be reset by holding the turn signal stalk button in. Assume you tried with engine on or ignition on.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Unless I am missing something, you do not need to have the SP to get the steering wheel controls on a 330i or 330xi. The following is a snippet from the BMW 330xi "Standard and Optional Equipment" page on the BMWUSA web site:

4-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel with fingertip cruise, audio, and accessory phone4 controls

The way I read it, the SP for the 330xi is basically just the Sport Seats, the 3 Spoke Steering Wheel and some cosmetic goodies.

Regarding functionality, I had the standard wheel on my 1999 328i, and I have the 3-Spoke Sport Wheel on my 2002 530i, and there is no "Real World" functional difference in the buttons, just where they are placed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jgraveljgravel Posts: 54
    Thanks Shipo. I don't know how I missed that but I did. I doubt the salesperson would have pointed that out to me so you just saved me a bundle.

Any opinions on the headlight washers? Are they effective on winter ice and snow? I was going to order the Cold Weather package to get the heated seats and headlight washers but if they aren't worth it then I'll just order the heated seats ala carte.

Thanks

-Jay
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I have a 325xi and a Honda. I had heard the comments about BMW reliability, unresponsive dealers, the whole bit.

I've heard the same around here when it comes to Hondas (I have a Civic Si - so I sometimes get labelled a Ricer).

I had a much better experience at my BMW dealership. This was on a day when I came in, just to look and see what was available, drool on the cars, and basically just browse. The salesman left us alone, but ready to help. I had a few questions about AWD, 2.5 vs 3.0 options, etc and he came and answered them, then left us alone again. The only time he 'bothered' us was to give us the keys to the car we were looking at (without us prompting), and told us to drive it for a while.

We ordered that day.

As for the service, every little nit I've had with the car, they have addressed and fixed where possible. When I had a computer controller fail, I brought it in on a day they had no service (Sunday) and gave me a loaner to drive during that time - no questions - no problems.

My opinion is that a dealer will treat you with the same respect you show them. If you go in with attitude, don't expect friendly service. Show up with a smile and courtesy and professionalism, you get it back.

Now not all will be the same way, but this is not a BMW issue. Most every dealer will be this way. My Honda experience was wierd because I was wanting the 99 Civic Si right after it was introduced and they took the position that they had all the cards in their hand. Sounds similar to what I've heard some say about Infiniti with the G35. That's another story though.

Regardless of what you decide, shop around. Pick what is best for YOU. Enjoy what you pick. :)

-Paul
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Hey, I live in California and Love the heated seats. We DO live in the mountains and it can get into the teens and 20's. They do take the chill off, and it is nice.

We take the car into colder areas and it is nice to warm up the material.

If I ever did get a convertible, I'd make sure they had them so I could keep warm on a chilly day with the top down. :)

-Paul
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Please, no rice terms in the Town Hall, thanks.
  • mg330cimg330ci Posts: 162
    How much is the 36K service(if done outside first 3 years)?

How much is the 48K service, etc.

How much is a simple oil change? for a contemporary model?

Just planning ahead on what to do when my lease expires...it will be a low mileage car, and perhaps I should buy it at the end of the lease and keep it for a couple more years...unless of course, the new model happens to be a hotty :)

I read somewhere that BMW charged this person $190 for an oil change!

I understand that the oil change will only be required every 12k miles, which on any other automobile, comes to a total of $25x4= $100. I just dislike been ripped off with the excuse that I am driving an "exclusive brand car"

Or perhaps this is false, and keeping the car is a good idea?