Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    and am getting the same "I told you so's" from my wife. Hey dave, how can we a copy of that traffic law that says that?
  • hippo168hippo168 Posts: 115
    Just think for a moment, they even have different colors (blue and red), AND the siren. : D
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    Here's a link: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs41thru43.htm

look under headlight. I used to know of a better link, but can't seem to find it right now.
    http://www.motorists.org/issues/safety/seven_signals.html

Its not law but these guys seem to have good intentions.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Actually, it is considered to be "rude" to flash from behind. More proper way, at least I heard is, to use your left turn signal to indicate that you are moving faster and wish to pass.

BTW, according to some of our German friends, there are 3 lanes on the autobahn. Right lane for slow moving cars, middle lane for passing, and left lane for BMWs. Supposedly, some people will hesitate to cross a street if they see a BMW coming their way, as they feel that the aggressive BMW driver won't slow down or stop. Stereotypes are pretty much the same whether you are in Germany, or US.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Posts: 208
    Had first oil service performed today. My car is almost 6mo old with 11.2k miles.

The service guy laughed because my first oil service was due at 11k miles -- he said most are 14-15k miles. He knew I have been driving it for all it is worth.

They replaced the windshield wiper inserts too.

Of course all of this was free, but it is interesting that 1 BMW oil service equals 3-5 oil changes at Jiffy Lube. I love that. It represents a significant environmental advantage too since it decreases the amount of waste oil by 60-80% over most other vehicles.

Enjoy.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    For anybody looking for an M3, check out the site:
    http://www.cccbmwcca.org/ and check out the classifieds...

-Paul
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    200k miles and $19,500???

-Colin
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    From what I understand, we are following the classes used by the Golden Gate chapter, so you should be very familiar with them. There are 10 BMW classes and 5 none-BMW classes, which are the same as the SCCA's.

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/events/2003/autocross.asp?page=rules
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    Thanks to all for the responses on batteries. I must admit that I've never checked the water in my battery (my bad). I thought it was a sealed maintenance-free type and, besides, I never think to go to the trunk when checking all of the fluids. I'll do better from now on. By the way the car wouldn't start this morning, so I used Roadside Assistance tonight to flatbed it to the dealer. They showed up in 30 minutes and were very nice. The service advisor said there may be something wrong with the electrical system and they wanted to check it out. They told me $200 for a new battery, unless something else is wrong, in which case it would be under warranty. I know that is way too expensive, but what else could I do - not knowing what the problem really is?

I'm becoming more frustrated at the problems I've had with my car. I still love the drive and the look of the BMW. Here is a list of problems in my 3-year history.

4,100 miles - replace clutch bushing (noise), aim headlights (poor factory aiming)
    7,700 - replace power steering pump (leaking)
    9,200 - seat belt noise (not fixed properly)
    11,400 - thermostat recall
    16,200 - seat belt noise (not fixed again - broke B pillar trim in process - gave up trying to fix)
    17,900 - passenger front window stuck in down position (replace regulator)
    21,900 - replaced ventilation fan limit switch (fan went crazy)
    24,000 - engine noise - determined to be defective fan (serpentine) belt
    25,300 - dead battery (or electrical problems?)

So what does everyone think? Too many problems for a high quality vehicle, or am I just making too big of a deal? I've owned 8 new cars in my lifetime, and this one is close to the top of the list in problems (also the best in many other ways).
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Those types of issues were along the same ones I had on my 3 Nissan vehicles. Niggling little issues that drove one crazy. FWIW, the dead battery issue can happen in any vehicle. BMW does not have the market on batteries that last forever. I've had batteries last as little as a year and as long as 5 years. The life of a battery depends on a multitude of factors. The power steering, thermostat, window regulator, and ventilation fan limit switch are not indicative of good quality materials. The fan belt can take a beating based on rpms and weather and should be replaced minimum every three years anyway.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Checkout www.bmwtips.com for battery links. People have found replacement for about $90.00. FWIW, the original BMW battery goes for about $70 in Germany. I am wondering what makes them so special to be so expensive in the states.
  • jay108jay108 Posts: 52
    Just be glad you are covered by warranty. The only way I would consider BMW ownership is new, buy or lease or maybe a factory certified car.

My BMW wasn't covered by warranty so I had to pay for all sorts of stuff out of pocket.

-flashers- we have strict speed limits in this country, just because you like to speed doesn't mean we have to give you the right of way.
  • jay108jay108 Posts: 52
    I can't quote the source, but I read that BMW has the highest profit per car sold of all manufacturers.
    This means they build the cheapest car and sell it for the most money. Hats off to BMW marketing.
    Oh, that's funny. If I travel the speed limit on most interstates, I will get run over. I routinely see people passing me like I'm sitting still while I am doing the speed limit +5 mph even with a policeman in the opposing set of traffic.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    I guess I wasn't clear. What I was wondering was number of participants at your autox. We usually have about 40 cars broken down to 4 run groups. Everyone gets 6 runs, with each run lasting about 60 sec. Even with such a small group & short runs, it still takes all day.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Check his profile-he drives a GEO, for Pete's sake! He's probably never even SAT in a BMW, unless he got free tickets to the local New Car Show...
    jay108 - can you back up your assertion that BMWs are made of cheap materials? What is the definition of cheap? The 3/5 series has been lauded for making the best of high quality materials. BMWs' fake wood trim is certainly not any faker than Infinitis'. And I don't need the weight and expense of a fully decked out interior in my 3-er. And the rest of the interior is quite good looking compared to other "cheaper" looking brands. In the mechanical dept I just heard a Nissan advertisment about bringing your car in every 3,000 miles. BMWs service interval is 15,000 miles. A 15,000 mile service interval is not indicative of "cheap" componentry.
    In most of the country it is against the law to drive in the left hand lane, even if you are going over the speed limit. The left lane is supposed to be used for passing only. The "left lane Richard" should be tarred, feathered and ticketed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,708
    If you want the trolls to go away, you have to ignore them.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

trolls - most trolls are looking for information as they usually are subobtimally informed.