Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Thanks... that was the filter that I thought it was. No biggie. I will be going to my dealer next week to get oil, filter, a/c filter, wiper fluid (man that stuff works great).

As for wiper blades, do you guys use BMW blades or some other make? My BMW blades worked great when they were new, but that was almost 2 years, a cold winter, and 120 degree summers with 100% sun ago. :)

-Paul
  • I have been browsing quite a few BMW boards and I have seen no evidence of people reporting South African build quality being any different from German built quality. You can search this site to get the JD Power survey where they had reported that the BMW SA plant had fewer build defects than most of their German plants. Though I got my car ordered from Germany I know a few people who have SA cars and they are just as good.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    Correction: the filter cover does not say "36 mm 16 Nm" as I thought. It says "25Nm" only - I am sure we are talkikng about the same one:

http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_oil_extractor.shtml
  • I found the answer myself. All E46 330i are built in Germany, a break down of the VIN number says that mine is in Regensberg, Germany. The e46fanatics website has quite a lot of info.
  • I am interested in hearing from anyone who has SMG. Now that it is an option on all 3's with sport package (except ZHP for some reason)it may become a bit more common.

I would love to hear what you like about and dislike about it. Do you keep it in "auto" mode mostly and if so how does it perform? Or are you more likely to "shift" yourself.

And finally, would you order it again if given the chance.

Thanks
  • HELP!!! I am torn on what to get between the two. The interior will be black leatherette with titanium trim and navigation. Any pointers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    I say silver gray because its a newer color and looks awesome. I saw a M3 with that color and it looked really good.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I use the BMW wiper refills. They are a bit fiddly to install but they work great. I change the blades on my cars every year or so.
  • I have it! Get something else. Like blue. :D
  • I was looking into purchasing a dinan system for my 330i and needed to know if they were actually worth it.
  • abcnycabcnyc Posts: 101
    I only drive about 11,000 miles per year. I've had the oil change at 15,000. Should the Inpection I or II be perform strictly on the mileage or time ? It would take me 3 years for Inspection I and 6 years for Inspection II. I thought the computer also tracks your driving conditions to determine the time for inspections.
  • dbs8dbs8 Posts: 13
    Getting ready to order 2004 325ci. I want the PP & SP as well as H/C system and Zenons. The only way I can get the car to my "target" price is by deleting the leather. Does anyone have experience with the fake stuff? How does it look/smell in comparison to leather?? I know that vinyl usually keeps it's original appearance longer.
  • looks and feels like leather. doesn't smell like leather but it doesn't smell like vynl either. imo you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you did a side by side comparison. even then its hard to tell. and in 3 yrs it'll still look new.
  • dbs8dbs8 Posts: 13
    After much consideration I am going with silver-gray. The titanium silver is nice but so common. If I go with leatherette, I will get black interior. I my check out the natural brown if I go leather. The steel blue looks really good too, IMO.

Also..I see on this site that satellite radio is an optional accessory. Does anyone have this in a new BMW? If so, how is it?
  • eve123eve123 Posts: 12
    I also debated . I was ready to purchase a titanium because I liked that colot the best. However, when I saw the silver grey I thought it looked very elegant and it blended in very nicely with the black interior. I also chose the leatherette over the leather simply because of the titanium interior. I velieve it looks much nicer against the black than the wood trim; sportier looking. The M3 in the showroom also was a silver grey with black leather and the aluminum...looked real sharp. I understand that more than half the cars sold are titanium or black, so they really don't stand out. I think you'll be happy with your choice.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    BMW wiper blades are ~ $6. I get a pair at least once a year (20K+ miles for me).

Silver gray: it's down to personal choice but I would not get any car in silver/gray. Over 25% of ALL cars sold in the U.S. are silver. Another quarter is black. Blue is a very good alternative.

Dinan: only get it if you like and own Rolex watches. Most of what they sell has an equivalent product from another shop that is cheaper and usually works at least as well. Their honored by BMW warranty is great for marketing Dinan products but not worth it and good luck figuring out who's reposnisble for what.

Oil change - I thought it was whatever the OBC determines or 1 year, whichever comes first. I am not entirely sure, although oil does get old over time even if you don't drive too many miles. FWIW, all the OBC uses is strictly fuel consumption, not time...

Leather: I was planning on getting it until the night before I put in the order. I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on such a small difference in feel and looks, so I passed on it. I'm glad I did. After 57K miles, the vinyl still looks great and smells neutral at worst.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    with the silver gray. If that color was avalable when I got my car I would've got it.I ended up with steel blue with sand leather.
  • There is an elegance with silver gray that I just couldn't find in titanium silver. True, the titanium accents with black interior looks high tech and sportier. I choose not to get the wood trim because i feel it is for a more "mature audience (lol)."
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    everything is white, black, silver or gray variations, sometimes with champagne/gold muddled in it.. lately even the burgundy reds are seen everywhere...
    there are about 500 million colors that the human eye can see with about 96 prominent segregates... can we not have some more cars that are not in the boring mainstream?
  • Go back to reds! Or yellows. :D

BTW, I'd have gone leatherette on my car had it been an option. Unfortunately, BMW insisted either leather or that crummy Alcantra stuff. Oh well, at least it's not cloth.