Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    BMW didn't think it's the right combo & scratched this set up only after 6 months of '01 330i, which forces minimum 17" wheel size due to its std larger brake discs. So all the 330i sedans only came w/ sport suspension afterwards.

Even the 325ci coupe w/ std sport suspension & the 323i sedan w/ sport suspension/package are matched w/ 16" wheels!

If I'm getting the 17" wheels, then I might as well get the expensive but more "pwr per gallon" 330i w/ larger discs.

By the way, are your gf's 17" wheels 8"-wide like in the 325i sport package or the less aggressive 7"-wide like in the AWD (pseudo)sport package & 330i w/o sport package? The camber change in the non-sport suspension might not allow the less elastic 17" wheels, especially the 8"-wide ones, to contact the road as ideally.

Anyway, I'm just being picky. ;-)
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    Black trims for USspec 325is? I love it! That's what's making me so proud of the 325i over the more-efficient-but-noisier-powertrain 330i in addition to the smaller-wheel/longer-spring comfy/quieter combination. I also find the 3-series sedan uglier w/o the black horizontal trim above the rear license plate.

I like light-color cars w/ black trim, ditto the interior. I'd ditch the premium package & forget about the pwr seats, but would opt for the expensive leather in order not to give up the light-color grey interior so I can go find some black panels to replace the silver trim. I find the glossy piano black trim so cool, just like in the Mazda3 concept Sportif, but only the RX-8's ugly-styling interior offers it on production cars.

I used to hate wood trims, but happened to find the Passat & 3-series sedan's wood on grey classy. & having the no-charge black glossy plastic trim(from non-wood black interior before '02) is even better 'cause it still looks like piano wood but people won't find it too grandpa-ish the way wood trims tend to convey.
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    Has anyone purchased and installed the adapter for the radio that allows you to hook up your iPod? If so, how difficult is the intallation? Is there an online site to purchase, rather than having to go to the dealer? Many thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    When you do that, all you are doing is making it available to logged in members. Among other things, this means that spam harvesters can't collect it.

If you aren't comfortable leaving it public all the time, you could make it public until you've heard from the person who wanted it, and then change it back to private again.

Hope this helps. :)
  • poper3poper3 Posts: 8
    I bought mine from the dealer and had them install it, while they swapped my transmission out. So far it sounds great with my ipod, I'd recommend going ahead and getting it. I recall on another board someone with DIY instructions for putting it in, but I'm not skilled enough to take the dash/glovebox apart and put it back together without extra parts left over.
  • adawaaladawaal Posts: 16
    Can you guys tell a little more about this adapter? I've never heard of a fixed iPod adapter for the car. I've seen the one you stick in your cassette player, but who has cassette players in their car anymore? I have the iTrip, an FM transmitter, but it really doesn't work as well as I had hoped.

Do you have a product name or website or anything on this adapter?
  • poper3poper3 Posts: 8
    adawaal,

I've got an AUX Input, runs from the radio into my glovebox. It accepts a standard audio input cord. I plug it (cord) in and plug the other end into the ipod and presto, thru the radio it plays. I can use both the ipod and car volume to control the sound level. I think only certain years (MYs 03&04?) have the radio that can handle this. You push the MODE button on the radio till it show AUX and it plays. Hope this helps some.
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    I have been trying to figure out how it works as well. According to the BMW brochure, the 04 radio can handle through an available auxilary input, but I assume that you have to install it, since there is no input in the glovebox that I can find. Am I wrong?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Look into the dension icelink if you have an ipod.
  • memphis10memphis10 Posts: 161
    Thank you for hosting the video on your server. I hope it doesn't crash your machine. I have seen the video several times just watching how those drivers can shift so fast and the heel-toe throttle blip is really cool.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    You're welcome. ;-)

The good news is that I'm running a development UnixWare box for one of my clients, and it, A) has lots of spare disk space, B) has lots of spare CPU power and C) has a very stable SCO UNIX as the OS. I'm more of a fan of LINUX, however, the language for this particular client will not run on the "L" box, hence the "U" box.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • memphis10memphis10 Posts: 161
    See that you are not a big fan of Mr. William Gates III.
  • adawaaladawaal Posts: 16
    Poper said:
    "I've got an AUX Input, runs from the radio into my glovebox. It accepts a standard audio input cord. I plug it (cord) in and plug the other end into the ipod and presto, thru the radio it plays. I can use both the ipod and car volume to control the sound level. I think only certain years (MYs 03&04?) have the radio that can handle this. You push the MODE button on the radio till it show AUX and it plays. Hope this helps some."

Well, I just picked up my new 325xi this afternoon and asked about the AUX input. It apparently doesn't come standard on any of the 3-series but is an aftermarket dealer install. After speaking with the tech guy there, it became clear that the parts were cheap, but BMW charges out the butt for the installation. If I can find the parts, I'll do it myself, but until then it looks like the crummy old iTrip for me. :-(
  • butmywife1butmywife1 Posts: 26
    Thanks Pat! KYFDX---I'd appreciate it if you could email me the link.
    ButMyWife
  • drmpdrmp Posts: 187
    If you have one, please describe how it defers from stick shift and from automatic transmission. Thanks.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Posts: 188
    Can someone point me to research or a recommendation for the cold air intake mod for a 2002 330i?

Thanks
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    I have the ECIS CAI and I’ve been very happy with it. Power gain is noticeable in both the low and high RPMs, engine sound is great under WOT and throttle response is better. It is reasonably priced and the install is very easy.

The Gruppe M intake looks better, sounds about the same and has a bit less "hiss" but it is $500+ instead of $350.

You may want to look into JC's CAI on kominsky’s second link – I don't know enough about it but I've heard good things about the foam filter that it comes with.

Dinan's is by far the most involved install and too expensive. Waste of money.

The key thing is to get the heat shield and the high performance filter like you do with the ECIS CAI. There is easily a 15 F difference between the engine side and the filter side of the heat shield in my car. I've read that every 4 degrees translate into roughly 1% HP gain and my butt dyno thinks that's about right.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Posts: 188
    Do either of these products require a software modification, or is the modification optional?
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    I'm sure the ECIS requires nothing else. I believe that's true of the Conforti CAI also but don't know for sure.