Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I'm lusting for the new vette. All my life i've had cars with 300 to 350 HP. I really miss that, sorry. I know, it's not superior craftmanship, but I drove one and fell in love with it. I also forgot that I'm not allowed to post anything for sale here, sorry Pat.
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    WOW!!
    gone on a family vacation for 5 days and I miss 350+ posts. This forum is on fire!!
    Gurumike; I was up your way. I waved as I drove by, I hope you saw me. I was in the family wagon ('01 Volvo V70 T5). Man did the traffic suck Saturday coming up 101 from Oxnard to SB!! How do you do it? Not bad today except for the south bound construction right by your place. Congrats on the new ride. I also have the Alpine white. After seeing your clears, I am very tempted to do the same. Did you DIY or have the service techs do it? If the service techs do it do you know what the retail labor is? After a week in Cambria/Big Sur/Monterey I feel ready to tackle the world. I love the Volvo, but man did I miss driving my bimmer!!
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    ...I did it on previous models and it's really quite straight forward (German engineering!). Takes less than an hour, even if it's your first time! I would recommend paying the little extra (ask how much time they want to charge for it) as long as it is only a little. I wouldn't pay over $50 for the install, but that's just me.
  • frank69mfrank69m Member Posts: 63
    You selling your car?

Is this the same car that got in the accident?

I was eyeing the Vette also. You know me, I like fast cars, but I would wait until 2004. 2004 will debut the C6 with the same engine as the Z06 and will be less "fatter" at the rear than the current Vette. Personally, I would wait. I'm doing that. Also keep in mind, the Vette's won't feel as "light" as the BMW. It is one of those straight line gut renching accelerating machines. An 2001 M3 will beat a stock vette even in a drag race. Won't beat a Z06. Why not get an M3?

M3 Frank
    After a tremendous amount of thought spanning the last couple of years, I think that I've got the best available solution for playing mp3 on factory radios.
    In my previous car, I'd purchased a JVC single DIN size CD/MD player. The KD-MX3000 actually plays mini discs from the left side of the slot where the CD goes. So I got a Sony MD Walkman with the USB interface so I could record mp3 to MD and then play it in the car. MD can do half speed (and slower) recordings (in mono) to double play time so an 80 min MD is good for 160 minutes.
    Okay, so the new deal... The best news is that it's really cheap! JVC (coincident to my owning the head unit previously) make an FM modulator that is easily wired into any part of the car (trunk/glovebox etc). It has a set of standard RCA inputs allowing you to plug any audio device to the cars sound system. This allows you to choose between any of the available portable mp3 players (which you may already own) and plugging it directly into the interface. It, in turn, has a plug that goes into the radios antenna socket(the cars antenna then plugs into it) so you tune the radio to what ever preset is needed and push play on the mp3 player.
    Not quite as desirable for me as a more "built in" system that runs totally off the cars electric system (the mp3 player might use batteries or a cigarette lighter adapter) but at least it doesn't have wires stuck it through the tape/CD slot on the front panel. You could have it in the glove box, that would be completely out of sight (don't reach for the glove box while you're driving folks - two hands on the wheel and eyes on the road please!).
    I looked hard at the Rockford Fosgate "mp3 changer". It's an 8 (I think) card player. It has 8 slots for it's flash cards that hold the mp3 files. You get a USB plug in recorder and software to put your mp3 files on but... 1. I couldn't figure out if you have to have a Rockford Fosgate head unit to use or if it is RF compatible and 2. The flash cards only hold about 8 Meg each which means around 30 minutes music in standard format and they are expensive. I can play CD-Rs in the BMW CD player so I can already record upto 80 mins of music. In my mind, the point of gaining mp3 play-back ability is principally to allow me to play some of my 110 to 175 minute live recordings. Even a small mp3 portable could store that size file. A small, cheap player would likely have good battery life and would take up little space in the glove box. And there's no excessive messing with that well intergrated factory stereo!
    I just ordered mine ($39.99 plus $12 S&H)! Now I'm off to look for the mp3 player.

Here's my latest talking point for you...

Did you know that quite recently BMW made an addition to the car & key memory system, specifically to the seat memory recall feature. In addition to seat, mirrors and temp, it now includes radio presets! Another good reason not to mess with the factory equipment!

PS - I know Sony and at least one other company also makes an RCA FM mod unit,it's just that from what I've read the JVC unit is the only one to buy.
  • max93max93 Member Posts: 19
  • carpevinocarpevino Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the info. I was kind of hoping there were choices for varying listening modes similar to dolby surround eg. "music Hall". Otherwise the system is awesome but idon't know if the music or the engine sounds better right now.

Guru - Great looking car! Mine has gray leather and your cloth looks just as nice and at a great price.

Someone posted about Trunk Wrng Lgt - I've noticed several times my open trunk warning light being on after I've closed it(hard). Seems like additional pressure after it closes until you here a click solves the problem.

Anybody use any of the Quik-Detailer items for daily cleaning of the exterior?
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    Sorry for starting some confusion 100-200 posts back regarding factory-to-dealer cash incentives, etc., on the Z3, but I knew this forum would be a great sounding-board for the "third car" decision. Some of you may recall that I wanted to get a Z3 (relative stripper) for my wife, with the special promotions going on right now. Put a deposit down last night!

After extensive searching for a 2.5 with CD and metallic ONLY, results were only a handful of cars meeting those criteria within about a 1,000-mile radius. Disappointing, to say the least. Then my local dealer's sales manager to the rescue! He's helped me out before with some off-the-wall requests, and he came through again. Although he was not able to get the exact car I wanted (it was simply not available), he was able to get one with good option packages for about the same price I had anticipated for the "stripper." Net: Z3 2.5 with PP, heated seats, CD, and Sterling Grey Metallic (a stunning color, BTW) for UNDER invoice (they still make a few bucks due to the factory incentives). This kept the payments well under $400/month, which was my "fun car" ceiling. Now the wait: it is 160 status, meaning it is scheduled to leave the SC plant on 6/29 and arrive 7/1 (which is a Sunday!). So, it could arrive earlier (Fri or Sat), or it could be early next week.

Can't wait! Thanks to those who offered their opinions. You were right:

330i = GREAT daily driver
    minivan = utility, practility, trips w/ dog, etc.
    Z3 = weekend (and weekday) fun!

Even though this is offically the 3-series board (I mentioned the 330i!), I will relay my experiences once the car arrives and is driven. I know many of you have or have had Z3's, so you will be interested...
  • aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    Are you referring to the JVC KS-IF200 for around $56?

As far as MP3 players go, check this one out:

http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/individual/3257.html

• gbmwgbmw Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 330CI and have a few cd changer questions.

1. Is the glovebox Nakamichi changer good..Is it slow?
    2. As far as being prewired. If I want to install a changer in the trunk do I need to buy mounting brakets or does it slide right in?

Thanks
  • dundedunde Member Posts: 32
    I got my 325xi yesterday. I love the Topaz Blue Color. Looks great on a Sunny day. I have the CD Changer installed in my trunk. Its very neatly tucked on the left side. there is separate compartment for it where they install it and doesnt take any trunk space. i hope for 330Ci it would be the same. But to be on safer side just call the Service guys at the Dealer and they will tell/show u where exactly they will install it. I did that so I dont get surprises when i take delivery.
  • dundedunde Member Posts: 32
    After one day of owning the car i m seeing the Floor Matts are getting dirty. Are there any BMW Rubber Floor Matts available ? I checked the bmw web site for accessories and didnt find any out there ? Anyone has an idea / web site info for acessories. How are u guys taking care of this ? My interior is Grey Leather and light grey matts and i can see foot prints on it now.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    Thanks for that input. My thinking right now is that leatherette is definitely out. It's either leather or cloth. If I go with leather, because of the exterior colors I'm interested in (silver and grey), the choice would be between grey and red. Grey being lighter than red, the heat factor makes me favor it, although appearance wise, I think the red might look better with those colors. I'm still undecided at this point. My friend who so recommends cloth made the point that if you do sweat on a cloth seat that the seat pulls the sweat out of your clothing, which he thought was a plus. So I guess there's a trade-off there between a dry, good-looking seat and a wet seat and a dry back.

carpevino - yes I use the instant detailer sprays all the time with good results. Also, I use Meguiar's Instant Wax for going over areas where I've had to spot treat with bug & tar remover, or if I accidentally get anything on my car that would remove the wax in a localized area. Of course, this isn't on a BMW, since I don't have one yet.
  • jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    Yes, rubber floor mats are available if not through your dealer, try circlebmw.com or pacificbmw.com....
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Congrats on the Z3. I think your going to love your new toy!!
    I'm having a bit of a struggle convincing myself that I don't miss mine!!
  • platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    I second the congrats on the Z3!! Be sure to let us know when you pick it up and your impressions!
  • drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    The sport doesn't have the armrest unless you get the PP. Nor does it include 8 way power, 2way manual as indicated in the brochure. Its just 10 way manual seats.

I ordered the armerst from pacificbmw for ~ 160 (gray leather) adn installed w/instructions from circle web page. The install is a simple 1 hr job. Where it mounts to the floor, it can be slid front/back by ~ 1/4 inch(minor track where it bolts). It should be set toward the rear. Confusing here but clear as day with instructions and productin hand.

Call me cheap but I would rather take an hr and save $60 and do it myself than take the same hr (probably 2 considering drive/wait/actual install) and go to the dealer. Remember, b/c of tax on your income, a penny saved (or $60) is more than a penny earned.

Deepdarkblue: FWIW-I think the key locks would be a pain. between remembering to carry it and not losing it not to mention hoping it will still turn in year 3, I would (and did) just go with the non-key. Have the dealer throw it in.

As i type i am realizing that the "not lose the key" point applies to both key and adapter bolt versions. I just keep the adapter bolt in the tool tray.

drcr
  • frank69mfrank69m Member Posts: 63
    Try "Slick Stuff" or Zaino Z6 for dust and touch up details between washes. I've used Slick Stuff for 8 years. I've garaged a 5.0 mustang and drive it a couple of times a week. I have yet to wash it in 4 years with Slick Stuff.

M3 Frank
    Thanks! Will keep you posted...
  • tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    Actually my wife would've loved to get the Z3, but since we live in the NE we compromised and got the 325Ci. A used Z3 as a fun weekend car is definitely on the radar maybe in the next year or so. Maybe by the time the 2003 new models are out there should be lots of classic Z3's coming out of lease. I don't like the 2003 modern / futuristic design at all. The original is so much more retro. Chris Bangle is definitely too radical for a conservative marque like BMW. I drove a Z3 3.0i just 3 days ago during the Ultimate Drive. Man, that things sticks to the road like chewing gum even when taking sharp turns! Congrats on your purchase.
  • erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    All:
    A product called VKOOL is one of the best, if not the best film out on the market. It is a "metal" film that is incredibly effective... www.vkool.com This product was recommended to me by 3 different BMW dealerships...and it works! Downside: expensive.... $500 for the back and sides.

Postoak: You can get this VKOOL product in a CLEAR film!!!! Also, you mentioned an aversion to tint b/c you can't see in front of you????
    It's against the law to tint the front windshield...I thought.
    My wife and I are in the "DINK" demographic right now, so we figured, "Why wait 30 years until retirement? Let's go for it now!" We look forward to the "K" part in a few years, which will give ample, impractical Z3 enjoyment time. We opted for the 2.5 engine, which, when coupled to the manual, is plenty quick. The 3.0 is FAST, running sub-6 sec 0-60 times, but unjustifiably so at 4+ G's more. Plus, with the 330i, we have the 3.0 engine already, so a little diversity makes it more exciting AND easier on the wallet. Can't wait to have some experiences to share...
  • eugeug Member Posts: 46
    Nice ride. The cloth seats are a better option to leatherette. Can you get a picture of them in the sunlight? The clears are not what I expected. They look great, especially with white. Have you seen them on titanium silver?

With all the talk about the armrest, I began to wonder if they get in the way of manual shifting. No way, right?
    Yes, the modulator is KS-IF200. It allows literally any thing with a head phones out socket to play through the car stereo. I already have a stereo mini-jack to RCA cable (all of about $4.99 at Circuit City). I was thinking something more along the lines of The Sony memory stick Walkman (the one that takes the magic gate cards). A CD player would be too large. Any small mp3 player (Rio?) that has head phones with out controls for the player on the head phone cord should be good. Ideally, I'll find one like the Rio Nike Sports thing that mas the mp3 player hidden, with a separate control pad (so small it could fit in the redundant ash tray) so I can select the relevant radio preset and then have a neat little unit to hit play on. The FM modulator can be installed behind a panel, with the stereo mini-jack cord running into the glove box, or where ever.
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    I don't know if anyone else on this board is financing their BMW purchase, but I am. $40K is a big nut to plunk down all at one time. Thus, I thought I might give the board my thoughts on financing arrangements.

BMWNA is apparently offering 6.5% financing right now. While that rate sounds fairly attractive, my dealership tags an extra point on for itself, bringing the rate up to 7.5%. That's not cheap money where the loan is secured against an asset -- the car.

In light of this, I decided to explore other options, and went to lendingtree.com to see what offers I got on a home equity loan. I ended up getting some 8.5% offers from some big name banks (Citibank, First Union) for home equity loans, but I also got an offer for a home equity line of credit ("HELOC") from DeepGreen Bank.

This HELOC is essentially like a credit line secured against your home equity. The interest rate is variable, set at 90 basis points below prime rate -- currently 7% - .9% = 6.1%. There are no closing costs (other than lien recordation fees imposed by some counties), no appraisal costs and no points.

Interest charged on a HELOC is tax deductable under some circumstances. If there are any tax experts among the board's denizens, I would love it if they could chime in with their expertise as to when such interest is tax deductible.

At the current rate (6.1%) the real cost of this loan (after taxes) is actually right in the same neighborhood as the inflation rate. Even if the prime rate goes up to 10% -- a BIG if -- the rate will be 9.1%, and I expect it will yield a real post-tax rate of roughly 6%.

There are no pre-payment penalties, and paying one's balance down has the effect of reducing the minimum monthly payment, just like with a credit card.

I think this is a great deal for homeowners to explore as an alternative to a conventional car loan.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    No, no! One of my pet peeves is tinted windows -- in other vehicles. Before the proliferation of SUVs, vans, and tinted windows, you used to be able to look ahead through the vehicles in front of you and get a better view of dangers that you were approaching. This VKOOL might be an option for me if I really want the leather. I'm not all that sold on the leather anyway because I'm looking at BMWs because I'm a driving enthusiast. For me, they're not a luxury car, or at least that's not my interest in one.
    Is there a power tap anywhere within the glovebox cavity to connect the CD player to?
    You don't need to get the darkest tint allowable by law to get significant heat/UVA/UBB protection. I'm only planning on 50% tinting myself.

I'm realy interested Huper Optik film myself since it's non-metallic which means it won't interfere with the radio reception.
  • newmoonnewmoon Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2001 325 and am trying to get comfortable with the service maintenace schedule. According to BMW I will not have to change (and they will not authorized it under the maintenance agreement) the initial load of synthetic motor oil until the service indicator says so, which could be after more than 15,000 miles. Are there any mechanics/technicians out there who know if this is prudent? Should I have the oil changed earlier than that on my own and when?
    This seems to be an endless debate. On one side, you have the very capable BMW engeneers who think first oil change at 15K is sufficient. On the other side you have very capable engeneers outside BMW that would still change oil shortly after the breakin to get rid of the pieces of metal that may be floating around.

But it is interesting that the M3's first oil change isn't 15K miles, but 1500 miles (I think).

I have no idea what I'm going to do, but since I purchased, not leased, and plan to keep mine to 100K miles, I may just get my oil changed early.
    If you are a AAA member, AAA New England (http://www.aaa.com) is offering 5.99% auto financing. I got mine from them. Fast approval and good service too. My dealer offered 7.5%.
  • platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    These look to be the real thing - not masked spy shots.

http://www.bilfo.dk/

Ordering guides were also released - some noteworthy additions:

- Clears and M3 steering wheel standard with SP

- bi-xenon headlights optional

- in-dash CD standard

- natural brown leather replaces tanin red as an option

Great news for the consumer! (Although the new look may take a while to get used to...)

• erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    My dealer called me not two hours ago and said that my car is here! She said, "Your new girlfriend is here!" I was shocked. I thought it might be on the truck for at least two days, but it left yesterday from the VPC in NJ and got to Virginia this morning. She said I could take delivery tonight, but I can't get out there until Saturday. AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

Any word on yours? Let me know the good news. The only thing that makes my delivery more exciting is know that a fellow 3er is receiving his, as well!
    My dealer doesn't answer his phone and hasn't returned my calls though I left him a voice mail. <sigh> I wonder if he even knows its here yet? I'll let you know when I get it.

Why can't you pick it up tonight? Are you out of town? Don't forget the pickup inspection checklist at http://www.e46fanatics.com. Its a little overkill, but it gives you a good idea where to look.
    Great pics.

FYI: bimmer.org has a link to the ordering sheet that details all the options available and stand eq etc. Pretty neat
    The financing is all taken care of, and I just have to go to my bank w/ the purchase order and get the check. Problem is the guy who is purchasing my Accord is wiring the money for it tomorrow, and I want to make sure it goes through before I sign papers and pay for the new car. My dealer said I could pick it up tonight and sign a promissory note to bring in the money this weekend. I just want to be 100% safe with a transaction of this size. Worst case scenario, even though the buyer for the Accord signed a contract w/ me, let's say he delays or bugs out for some reason. Then, I'm left w/ legal hassles and then I don't have as much money for the down payment--then my own payments would be higher, and I'd have two car loans to worry about.

Plus, delayed gratification is good for the soul (sounds funny from a guy who's been going nuts waiting for the car for the past 2+ months). 2 more days can't hurt. I'll live...I think.
    I have to agree that home equity loans or lines are one of the most sensible ways to finance big-ticket items or consolidate expenses. I took one out last year that enabled my wife and I to consolidate some wedding/honeymoon expenses, do some home improvements, and put some upfront money into a new car (soon to be two). Interest paid is tax-deductible -- beats the hell out of maxing out credit cards and paying ultra-high interest rates for no benefit. Also gives you some "cushion" or contingency should unforeseen, large expenses arise. I am lucky in that my home's value has increased by about 25% in 3 years (~8% annually), beating out many funds' performance. This increases the value-to-equity ratio, which is always good come sell time...
    Sorry to hear about the lack of response from you dealer. You might want to call BMWNA and find out what the deal is w/ your car. Also, see if they can do anything about your salesperson. Maybe they can pull rank.
    Ya hoo! I can imagine the feelings you're going through right now!

What's more pronounced? The anticipation or the actual receipt of the car?
    At this point, I think the actual receipt of the car will be the most explosive experience. I have never spent this kind of money on a car, nor did I ever think I would own a BMW.

I think I will be wide awake at some God-forsaken hour of the night on Friday, just like a kid before Christmas morning. Blissful pain is the term I like to use.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Do you mind posting an address for the DeepGreen Bank? I'm about to refinance my current Home Equity LOC and am looking for alternatives.
    You must be dieing!!

I had to wait on mine too. I was in NY on vacation (a tues) when I got "the call" and wasn't returning till the following Sun night. Ended up waiting till the following Friday to pick it up. IT is just alot less stressful to take your time and ensure all is in order. Print the checklist, arrange a ride, line up the $$, order accessories :), gather paperwork and just be relaxed. Doing it on the weekend also gives you the weekend to stare at it, wash it, sleep in it, and drive it when ever you have the urge. I wouldn't want to pick it up on a Mon and then only get to drive to work and then stare at the wall daydreaming until its time to ride again.
    ...seeing everyone getting their cars and knowing that I still have another week or so wait aghead of me. I'm obsessing too much I think, but I can't help it! my wife is thinking of having me committed because all I seem to be able to talk about the last few days is my car...and it's not like there's actually anything new to tell her!
    You're right. I know it's best to be 100% sure. The financing's in order, I've ordered a buttload of accessories, and I just set up an appointment for window tinting. The only thing I need is the CAR! Okay, taking Valium right now. Ah, better...

I'm surprised I still have my job. All I've been doing/talking about is the car, while squeezing some work in between. My co-worker in the next cube is about to strangle me. But then, he has an Acura TL. The excitement can't be nearly the same.
    This will my second new car in 18 months... other one is a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo, which my wife drives. We're paying for the Grand Cherokee through a normal car loan, and it kinda sucks. The rate is 7.9% -- way higher than I ought to be paying.

So, I determined that I really should look harder for a better deal this time with the BMW. That's where the HELOC came into the picture.

I am going to consolidate my existing second mortgage (which has been in place, as a way to avoid paying PMI, since we bought the house) and a credit card balance, then finance about 62% of the BMW -- all in one payment, with low, tax deductible interest.

Although the HELOC will have incredible low minimum monthly payments, I am going to try to pay three or four times the minimum payment amount every month get the balance down quickly. I want to rebuild the equity in my house fast.
    If only I knew for sure that I'd still be in my house for the next few years, I'd do the same thing. I'm trying to get my Dad to move in with my family as he's getting old and doesn't have any family near him in Indiana (I'm in Texas), so I may end up buying a bigger house fairly soon.
  • dt90089dt90089 Member Posts: 1
    They really needed to put a fixed up M3 in the movie. The little hondas in there were pieces of junk. BMWs rock.

Oh yeah i also found this article about the movie, i'm sure you'll like it, check it out...

http://www.13thstreet.com/scanner/contentcomm.cfm?epitaph=65087436-AECA-48FA-BC024668967C5895

I hear you. My wife and I are looking at starting a family fairly soon. It's because I am planning on potentially moving within three years or so that makes me want to pay it down ASAP.
    Lemme get this straight. You can apply a second mortgage toward the equity on the first mortgage? Kind of a circular-logic loophole to avoid the PMI, right? So, for example, you put 10.01% down on a new house. You immediately take a 2nd mortgage out for the equity you have in the house (10.01%) and apply it entirely toward the first mortgage, raising your equity to 20.02%. Hence, you've effectively avoided the PMI by now having > 20% equity in the first mortgage, while in actuality, you have half of that! Pretty sneaky, if I understand it...I'm beyond the 20% point now, but I will certainly give that a try on the next house!