Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    Even trickier but more straightforward than that. We only put 5% down. At the same time, we had it appraised, and took two loans out simultaneously, one for 80%, the other for 15%. Neither had any exposure beyond 80%, so there's no PMI.

Simple.
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    I seem to recall someone had a bad experience w/ an L.A. Tint shop. Can anyone provide feedback? I'm looking to have it done by one of their shops. They are offering to do it for my 325Ci for $269.00 (Millenium tint, non reflective).
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    Best part is, we bought in January 1999, just before the housing market in the DC area went really bonkers, and when rates were at their lowest.

House has appreciated over 30% in the meantime, and mortgage rates went way up. If we had waited until we had 20% to put down, the market would have run away from us and we would have gotten a much worse rate.
  • jhdevoyjhdevoy Member Posts: 33
    Not only do you avoid PMI, but the interest on the second mortgage is tax deductible. And, when you reach an LTV of 80% and you want to get rid of PMI, you have to pay for the bank to send someone out to appraise the house again. With an 80-10-10 you don't even have that. It is a NO-BRAINER....
    So how do you go about soliciting the loans? What about closing costs -- do you pay these for each loan, and if so, is it more expenseve than one loan? Sounds fool-proof to me, just want to have my ducks in a row -- we may be moving within the next 6-12 months, and interest rates are way down again...
    I am not sure about the closing costs, etc. However, I would encourage you to call several different mortgage brokers and ask them about their 80-10-10 and 80-15-5 mortgage structures, and they'll be able to tell you all the details.

Regardless, it's a better deal than borrowing over 80% on one and paying PMI. I did the math back when we were structuring the deal and, as said above, it was a no-brainer.
  • erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
  • trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    Hey Tchoo (et al)...I went the E46 site and couldn't find the "pickup inspection checklist" you mentioned. Where do I go once I get the main page? Thanks.

hey aaron330..it could be worse..you could still have 1-2 months. ugh.
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442

Don't go rushing to your dealer for cloth interiors or any special order. I just learned that the last week of May was the end of 2001 MY special orders. Worse still, they may not consider special orders for 2002 MY until January. Cloth is (was!) available in grey or anthracite only.
  • aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    ...when I take delivery do I put my name down on the M3 list so I can get one in two to three years?
  • jnscheongjnscheong Member Posts: 66
    Here is the link http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/.

The answer to this question in the FAQ is a link to the checklist.

"Q: Is there any type of pick up checklist?"

jnscheong

• kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I had heard about a year ago that many BMW dealers were no longer carrying the Nakamichi because it was a reliability nightmare. This is just a heads-up... I have no idea if it's true or not. Guru??
    I added about 1/2 quart of oil today to top the pan of my 330Ci. The car has a little over 4,000 miles on it. I'm thinking this isn't excessive, but thought I'd throw it out to the group for opinions since my previous 2 new cars (Honda & Nissan) lost/burned no oil until they were well into the 6-figure milage range. Anyone?
  • dremptdrempt Member Posts: 31
    Great pictures, awesome car!!! You lucky you!!! :))

BTW, did you say you lease a new car every 11 months? I've never leased so I really have no idea but was under the impression that the shortest lease is 24 months?
    I, too added some oil to the engine of my 330i around the same point you did. I check it fairly regularly and find no increased usage. I think it's fairly normal to happen during and directly after the break-in period. If it continues or increases, then it may be cause for concern. I'd still like to hear others' experiences...
    I should have mentioned in my previous post that neither the Honda nor the Nissan spent nearly as much time in the upper 3rd of the RPM range... the power and the sound above 4K RPM are too sweet to short-shift this thing.
  • stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    Just closed deal today! 330 Xi, Oreint blue, black leather, premium, cold weather and sport package as well. others options include: xenon, hk - now standard i guess... and 5 speed manual as well.

what are definitions of 105, 111, and 112 status???

thanks... and i'll see you in late aug/sept on the road!!!
    stg
    Congrats!

105 = Order out of Production Period

111 = Order Accepted at AG

112 = Order scheduled for Production

http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/status.html

• gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    I'm off to south L.A. right now for an Audi (groan) seminar. I will be away from the site for at least 24 hours.

I usually do a 3 year lease, although I did a 24 month on my 330, I just pay the lease off/get a new car every eleven months. You can always get out of a lease same as normal financing. You or the dealer phones the bank/finance company and gets a payoff, then you hope the trade in/what you sell it for is about the same.
  • frank69mfrank69m Member Posts: 63
    Are you trying to get an M3?

I had to put my name on the list....I was #2. They called me up a few months ago. I went in. Paid a little over sticker and left. If you want one now, you can look in the papers and pay 5 to 10K over or you can put your name down and wait.

M3 Frank
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    jhdevoy: what is "LTV of 80%"?

This looks like a good idea (80-10-10). I'm looking to buy within the next 6 months. Sounds like it is worth researching.

Once I have a place I can order my 325i.
    jhd, den -- thx for the info on the 80-10-10 and/or 80-15-5 options. I did not know this even existed and will certainly remember it the next house go-around.

kom -- I, too, have had Hondas (Acuras) and Toyotas in the past. Even my GS-R, a very rev-happy engine (and one that MUST be revved in order to extract its power) spent less time in the upper ends than does Gretl. It's just so EASY to do with these engines -- 6,000rpm feels like 4,000rpm in most other cars. Feels like you can live all day at redline -- actually makes you wonder if the engineers set the redline too low. :)
    "it's just so EASY to do with these engines -- 6,000rpm feels like 4,000rpm in most other cars"

I guess it's safe to assume that I'm not the only one who's ever driven several miles down the highway at 70MPH before realizing that I never shifted into 5th.. ;-)
  • aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    The M3 is more of a fantasy than reality for me right now...but in two years when my number comes up, it may not be quite the fantasy.

Of course...if would be easier if there was an M3 sedan.
    This is the best I could find in a reasonable amount of time. If you look around e46fanatics.com in the e46 general forum for posts with the the 'pic' symbol next to them, you're bound to find some better ones. Just about everyone over there has clears.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=5896&t=5821

• chipc1chipc1 Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking to buy a new 330Ci soon but I'm wondering if I should wait to see if new colors will be added to the list in 2002. Does anyone know if BMW will have new colors for 2002? Something close to the E36's estoril blue is nice.
  • jnscheongjnscheong Member Posts: 66
    A BMW dealer (Cutter of Santa Barbara, Calif) posted the 2002 BMW ordering guide over at www.bimmer.org. Here is the link http://www.cuttermotors.com/jon_shafer/2002enhanced.pdf

jnscheong

• alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I'm going to take frank's advice and wait for the new vette to come out to see what it looks and feels like. I was originally going to buy a 2001 leftover and add a Vortec, bottle, and a few other things. My 325i is too nice to part with right now. I'm also going to consider the M3 because I have yet to drive a car that feels as precise as a BMW. I feel that BMW does make the Ultimate Driving Machine, now it's just a question of spending 50K+ for the HP I desire. :o)
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I had to add about 1/2 quart of oil after 4000 miles. I now have 6400 miles and it needs about 1/8 of a quart. Curious phenomenon. :o)
    M3's use about a quart a month if you drive 1500 miles a month.

M3 Frank
    Yup. It should be close to Z06 performance. I always wanted a Vette since it came out in 97, but after a few years, I realize how big that butt is....A real sports car provides 3 things:

Acceleration
    Handling
    Braking

The regular vette provides 1 and 3. It is hard for a big heavy car to handle well. I know cause I still have a 5.0 Mustang. Not as much horsepower, but lots of torque, but handling sucks in American cars. They should make more cars like the 93-95 RX7, but with more low end torque. In fact, it will still blow away almost anything on the road. The Z06 is a different case and handles almost 1 G. I hoping the 2004's will be similar. I bet it will since they will have the Z06 engine and be 400+ HP. However, not sure if I want to get rid of my M3, but I will see in the next few years.

Did you ever fix your car? Did you ever find the driver who hit you?

M3 Frank
    M3 Sedan....no way man.

When they had those in the mid 90's, for BMW that was a bad idea. The 4 door M3's looked sorry and some of them even came with Automatic Transmissions which ruined the appeal.

I actually should have waited for the M Roadster which is just coming out instead of my new M3. Because of the smaller engine compartment, it produces a little less HP than the Sedan version. I'm also eagerly awaiting the new look of the Z3. I know the M Roadster (2003 or 2004) will change its style to match the new look of the Z3 so it might be better to wait. Then again, I'll look at the new Vette when it comes.

New Z3

M3 Frank

• tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    I have a question, i have a 01 325, does the radio preset automatically set to 6 radio station per key (preference), or does the key and car memory does not have that capability yet? I tried setting 6 different radio station on key 1, and 6 different in key 2, but when i put key 1 back; it has the same preset and key 2 now. Is there a setting on the car memory i have to change?
    If you are still thinking of a Vette, be sure to get a GM Credit Card. It is the best deal hands down...you get 5% for every dollar you purchase and it goes towards a new GM Car. Over the years, I've built up $2200 and I can use that off the final price I negotiate for the car...Check it out http://www.gmcard.com

Sorry for the off the topic folks. BMW has a credit card, but it is junk and gives you basically nothing. :-)

M3 Frank

Has anyone noticed that your BMW takes a lot longer and isn't as cool as Japanese Air Conditioners? Wonder why? Both my 330i and M3 have this issue vs. some of the other Japanese cars I have had. Japanese has have a frostier air conditioner.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Frank, I have always thought that my BMW air conditioner was a bit weak. Even asked the dealer to check, and they said it was OK. My Ford truck blows out very cold air whereas the Bimmer's is just cool at best. I have a black exterior (sand leather inside) and after sitting in 90 degree sun all day it takes a while to cool off (no wet back though).

Also, I found it interesting that you haven't washed your car in 4 years (I know it's not a daily driver) using the speed shine products. I'm trying to get used to them, but it's hard for me to wipe on my black car with only a mist of that stuff and a dry cloth - just doesn't seem right. Still have to wash with water regularly, or the wheels would be the same color as the exterior.

tcn2k, thanks for the info on the installation of the chrome exhaust tips. But you mentioned a bolt and a nut (nut was missing). Does that mean you have to drill a hole through the tail pipe or is it just a tightening bolt on the bottom of the tip? Are there two separate tips or is it one piece over both tailpipes?
  • eugeug Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the link. Seems the clears look better on gurumike's car.
  • eugeug Member Posts: 46
    The posted v-kool tints link didn't work for me. I did track it down to http://www.v-kool-usa.com/ and found it to be a good candidate for a tint. It seems to reduce heat by reflecting infra-red light. However, so visible light is reflected too. Doesn't this give it a mirror like reflection? Can anyone comment on the type they have, dark or clear? And how they look from the outside.
  • carpevinocarpevino Member Posts: 24
    I came across American Express' home equity program. They do a drive by appraisal, you tell them what your house is worth, and within a week you have your cash. I got 8.5% on a fixed rate 15 year loan. Everything is done over the phone. A real easy deal.
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    If you think about it, a little oil consumption is a good thing. You want to get a very thin film of oil between cylinder walls and piston (& rings) to lubricate them. Some of this oil will either burn or evaporate in the process of combustion. And, if I remember correctly, the 325 holds 7.9 quarts in its sump so 1/2 quart will hardly be missed.
    My previous BMW consumed 1 qt in 4000 miles consistently over 97000 miles. My Honda consumed 1 qt in 6000 miles over 163,000 mile. Engines are designed to consume some oil and if you break them in according to manufacturer instructions, they will consume that amount over their life. The break-in process is important because you are polishing the piston/cylinder walls (along with bearing surfaces) over a wide temperature range. This polishing process helps to maintain low oil consumption.

[skip this part if you are not interest in why] The manufacturer of a car with tight clearances will want you to change speeds often during the break-in process. A very simplified explanation: when you increase speed/load, the pistons heat up faster than cylinders, close the tolerance between the two and polishes the surface with a film of oil brought up by the oil ring. When you slow down, you let the pistons cool/contract faster than the cylinders and allow more oil to get between the two for the next expansion cycle. Well polished surfaces (cylinders, piston and rings) not only keep compression ratio up but also prevents excessive oil consumption because you don't have a "pools" of oil film left to burn in low spots of any "rough" surface.
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    If you have climate control and want maximum cool output, make sure you set the temperature as low as it can go (59 degrees?) and that the thumb-wheel between the middle dash vents is on three blue dots. I believe climate control will add heat when the inside temperature gets close to your set temperature and then cycles the A/C on/off. I could be wrong.
    Nice explanation on the oil consumption and break-in issue. Makes sense to me. It also makes sense that oil consumption will be proportional to the aggressiveness of one's driving style, just as fuel consumption is (I think the owners manual even alludes to this). More aggressiveness = higher average engine RPM = greater fuel/oil consumption.

You also brought up a good point about the capacity of the oil sump. For similarly sized engines, it seems BMW's capacity is about 30-50% greater than other manufacturers'. Greater safety factor and less viscosity break-down. Combined with the synthetic-only reco, it becomes more reasonable how oil change intervals can be stretched to 15,000 miles.
  • sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    So let me get this straight, if I procrastinate until October 2001 I will not be able to order a 2001 3-series model from my dealer? I will then be forced to order a 2002 and thus have to pay a premium? I suppose I still would be able to get a good deal on 2001's he has in stock and is trying to dump. Anyone know of any major changes on the 2002 model in terms of features/design? Thanks!
    The 2001 3-series will be 95% identical to the 2001. No major changes are planned; the 5% difference is all due to cosmetic changes and/or different options/standard. The cosmetics have gotten mixed reviews. I dislike what they've done to the face/grill area, but like the new rear/taillight treatment. I believe Platypus posted a link to a German auto magazine that had an article with several pics in it within the last 100 posts or so.
  • erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    didn't see tcn2k's post on the tips....but I just slipped mine on last night. The exhaust tips are in pairs (2). I had to twist mine back-and- fourth, until they were on all the way. I didn't know what to do with the screw and bolt, so I left it as it was, and tightened it. I will look for tcnk2's post to see if I installed it incorrectly, but I don't think those tips are going anywhere. They fit very snug over the tailpipe.
  • sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    So if you had the choice would you buy the 2002 model or the 2001? Also, there is going to be a complete redesign in 2003 right? Does anyone else have a link to photos of the 2002 3-series models.
    I would undoubtedly get the 2001 model. There is no substance to really justify the premium that dealers will surely be charging, unless you REALLY like the cosmetic changes and cosmetics is REALLY important to you. 2002's will roll out and be had for MSRP; 2001's will by then be going for $1,000-1,500 over invoice, I'd guess. Also, if you plan to lease, chances of manufacturer support on the MF are 0% for the 2002, but good for the 2001's. 2001 330's have had good lease support since April; I'd be surprised if the 2001 325's didn't follow suit soon.
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    I thought the new 3-series redesign wouldn't take place until at least 2004.