Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    The BMW Dealer in Lexington charges an hour of labor to rotate and balance 4 tires. I know AAA can change a tire on the side of I-75 in 7 minutes. I hope the dealer uses hand tools. I have never heard an impact wrench.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,667
    Wow... that sucks...

From personal experience, every tire dealer, zone rep, etc, etc, etc.. will say that every bubble is caused by a road hazard, every time.....

So, I agree with shipo... just bite the bullet.. you are facing a losing battle, no matter what logic you have on your side, or whether we agree with you..

Either that, or you drove through the mother of all pot-holes.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• grantchstrgrantchstr Posts: 371
    One of the biggest rip-offs in the industry is the concept of dealers fixed number of labor hours for performed tasks. But if you use an independant mechanic do you void your warranty with a BMW? As a new owner I just read that BMW dealers are required. With one of my other cars this is not the case provided the mechanic is licensed and you have documentation of the service performed and parts used.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "As a new owner I just read that BMW dealers are required."

Uhhh, where did you read that? As far as I know, you can use an independent, that said, there should be no reason (other than to mount dustless brake pads) to use anyone other than the dealer during the "Free Maintenance" period.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    There is (or was, I have not heard of it changing) a Federal Law that required auto manufacturers to provide free any service or maintenance required to maintain a warranty. How BMW defines warranty and unapproved parts and services will be between BMW and the owner.
    Being required to perform the service.. and giving you a timely appointment and a loaner car may be two different things..

I agree.. that most service departments don't care where you bought it.. But, if they want to be a pain in your..... they can be..

Sure, we have an opening at Noon on June 17th... Sorry, no loaner car is available.... Your car is undriveable? We are very sorry to hear that.. See you on the 17th!!

Sure, we have an opening at Noon on June 17th... Sorry, no loaner car is available.... Your car is undriveable? We are very sorry to hear that.. See you on the 17th!! OUCH

You mean BMW dealers dont have mobile service vehicles? I also have an S60 and - the Volvo dealer has a mobile service truck which one can request for a "house call" - not that that has been needed in four years.
    Where I see this heading is sealed cars and only the dealer capable of working on them, on anything. Think of the razor blade model with a leased razor, or the opposite, an expensive razor with "free" razor blades.
    Porsche Boxster... you have to put it on a lift to even see the engine...

But, the tool I have the best luck with is my checkbook.. I know my competencies... and working on cars isn't any of them...

• ventureventure Central PAPosts: 446
    The UPS driver was standing in my garage about 10am and there are four tires and wheels here from TireRack.com. All mounted and balanced for "free".

They sure are pretty. :D

All for less than $1,000 delivered.

2014 Fusion, 2013 Impreza, 2011 Forester

• seqladyseqlady Posts: 59
    Offered the $30K and they came back with $30,800. So we went to $30,400 and it was accepted. We get the car next week - can't wait! Seems like a pretty good deal. Just a little concerned that it's RWD instead of 4WD. We're in the northeast so snowy days could pose a problem.
    Good job!!

I have the sport package, which comes with summer only tires.. So, winter tires aren't an option... you have to get them...

Even with all-seasons, if you plan on driving this car every day, regardless of the weather, I suggest getting winter tires..

Many discussions about winter tires in this forum... just do a search..

The cost may be off-putting... but, remember.. every mile you put on your winter tires, is a mile you don't put on your stock tires.. So, the cost of the tires isn't absolute... there is some savings to offset that...

Good luck... and enjoy your new ride!

regards,
    kyfdx

• carfreeccarfreec Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying 2005 325xi in the philadelphia area. I have 2 questions:
    1. What is the best place to buy it and how much over invoice I should have to pay to get it? (after all it is an older model now)
    2. I am very concerned about the AWD and overall reliability. I don't want to spend time to get it repaired and pay for it all the time after first 50k miles either. How releiable is the AWD in this car along with other things?
    Any and all help will be much appreciated.
    It may be an "older model" but I suspect you will find the 325xi is in short supply particularly at this time of the year - at least that is what the dealer said when I acquired mine a couple of months ago. So I didnt get the kind of deal the folks on here crow about, most of em arent the xi variant. I too will be interested in the AWD reliability point but I didnt read anything to put me off.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 336
    You make a good point about winter tires. They are really not an added expense since you are going to put the miles on one set of tire or the other. So your summer tires will last longer calendar-wise. The only additional expense is for the wheels, and that is not all that much money for a set of decent-looking wheels.
  • armandarmand Posts: 178
    I bought a 325 XiT about 3 weeks ago and got it for just a little above invoice. I don't believe really great deals are available on the xi's because the '06 won't have xi's either at all or not for some time. As far as reliability is concerned, the recently released J D Powers survey gives BMW very good marks. My personal experience is that in 3 weeks I have had the "air mass Meter" replaced and something is wrong with my radio (too much static) - not a great start.
  • beta23beta23 Posts: 15
    For a 325 with BLACK leather and Black exterior which interior trim is hotter? Aluminum or Wood? One word answers would be great. thanks
  • potemkinpotemkin Posts: 196
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Had a black 530i with the black leather, and the wood looked great. My vote is "Wood". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo