Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    From a post of mine from Jan. 2002:

One of the cool things about the HVAC system on the E46 is that there are TWO windshield defrost modes. They are the upper button on the left side of the panel and the upper button on the right side of the panel, and their functions are "Normal Defog/Defrost" mode and "Gonzo Turbo Blast/Melt The Glass" mode respectively. Another way of saying that is, when you get in you frosted up car, hit the upper right button, and when the occupants are fogging up the windshield, hit the upper left button. :blush:

Then again from May of this year:

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Most (if not all) vehicle manufacturers activate the A/C compressor (at least at warmer OATs) when the defroster is selected. What I like about the BMW HVAC controls is that you can select the "Defrost" program (top right button) which uses the compressor in combination with "gonzo max tornado" fan speed, or simply direct air to the windscreen (compressor optional depending on the Snowflake button) by using the top left Airflow button. I cannot think of any other manufacturer that offers that flexibility. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear you saying, "Who cares?" Well, I do. There are plenty of times when the windscreen needs to be demisted just a little and the need for the extra dry air from the compressor is unnecessary, and the last thing I need is more dry air being directed at my eyes (thus demisting them too). :mad:

I hope this helps. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • We've had our 325i for almost two years (soon to be leaving), and I still haven't figured out the climate control system..

But, then again, she doesn't let me drive it much... :surprise:

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,109
    I'm not trying to directly compare the 2. I was just saying I think I like the look of the E46 better. But actually a used 330i ZHP and a new E90 325i are priced very close.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• jajjaj Posts: 55
    Boy do I feel dumb. I never noticed the direction of the arrow in the upper left button. The hot air is fine for getting rid of ice, but for just defogging some temp control would be nice. Thanks Shipo.

-jaj
  • We're selling our 3-series tomorrow, so naturally, I finally get to drive it this week..

I've learned oodles about the ventilation system the last few days.. I even tried out the defroster.. ;)

Fortunately, the new car has the same system... so, all of this new knowledge will come in handy...

regards
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

you're selling your 3er? what gives?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• The wife is getting a new car.. We are leasing an '05 330Ci convertible... I got a pretty good trade offer on ours (really, really good), but my wife's friend had been looking for a used 3-series and she gave us a little more..

My wife is happy... I'm sort of happy.. the bank is ecstatic... ;)

• gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 336
    One place where my '98 A4 had it over my 325i is the climate control. On the Audi I could pretty much set the temp and forget it (usually 68F in winter, 74F in summer).

But on the Bimmer the car often gets too hot even if I only have it set at 66 or even 64F, and I find that I have to adjust that center vent temp control thingy to keep it from blowing hot air in my face (or cold air) depending on the conditions. It also seems to kick the fan up to a high speed before the engine has warmed up enough, so I have to manually bump it down to avoid getting cold air from the outlets.

Overall it's really a minor deal compared to what's good about the car, but I definitely think the A4 had a better system.
  • can anybody help me locate where the fuse box is on this car. I think I have a blown fuse and I need to replace it.

thank you
  • Thanks for the info. I was just told my 2001 325i needs new bushings. The mechanic did exactly what you said and Voila! said it was the bushings. It has 49k miles so I came here for help. Are bushings generic or can I get some that will last awhile? My manual stinks so please let me know of other problems that happen with so few miles. My Toyota never had any problems but didn't run like a bimmer! ang
  • My 01 325i is idling like crap. The mechanic said there is nothing that can be done. I live in a congested area so I'm stuck idling quite a bit. Is there any why I can improve the idle so it doesn't rev for no reason and so it is smooth? Oh yea, affordably? Ang
    Nice man. When's the new ride coming home? I hope you got a good "deal" on the 330CiC! :P

• It came home on Friday..

I think I got a good deal.... ;)

My son insisted we put the top down when we picked it up.. so, we were cruising to lunch under sunny skies, with a balmy temperature of 24 degrees.. :surprise:

congrats again on a great car! What color/options did you get? Share with us! Inquiring minds want to know.

• Silver-gray with black leather..
    Automatic
    Cold weather package
    Xenons
    BMW Assist w/bluetooth...

It was the only '05 left on the lot... If it had been the wrong color, or didn't have xenons and heated seats, I would have passed on it, but almost everything is standard on the 330 convertible....

If the car was for me, I would have had to have the Sport or Performance package.. Not having the Sport package was really my only regret, but my wife couldn't care less.. I also wouldn't have paid for BMW assist, but it was on there, so there you go... Now, we have to get a new bluetooth phone for my wife, so she can go hands free...

The silver-gray is a great color.. Not as nice as the old Steel Gray, but close...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

• gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 336
    It takes 5 days for someone to help this guy out? ;) You're right that it's not in any of the usual places. Open the glove box and there is a panel there with a couple of snap clips that you can open to get to the fuses.
  • Thank you very much...
    I will check it today when off from work!
  • :confuse: Recent random "chirping" noises coming from the dash board / vent (predominantly from the left driver side dash/air vent) after start-up and would go away after about 5-10 min. What might be the cause? Dealer couldn't find the solution. Thanks in advance.
  • I have 29,000 miles on my 2002 325i and my tires are wearing a little thin. I've been looking around for a replacement and don't really want to get Continental's again. Does anyone have a recommendation for new tires? Handling is important, but I want them to be quiet and last longer than the current tires. Thanks for all recommendations.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    My 2002 325xi came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A's and did the job for me. I'm not the most aggressive driver and they worked for me. Not sure if you would really want an A/S on a regular 325i though.

They lasted for over 50,000 miles.

-Paul