Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    Long time no post... thought I'd stop in and say hi.

Aside from my beautiful, wonderful wife, my 2001 330xi (steel gray/gray, PP, CWP, CD) is the love of my life. A pure pleasure to drive. Fast as I could reasonably want, handles like a dream, looks like a million bucks.

I notice that BMWUSA.com has restated the 0-60 acceleration of the 330xi from 7.1 seconds for the manual tranny to 6.9. I find my baby's performance seems closer to AutoWeek's time of 6.2 seconds. I base this, in part, on the fact that my last car had a rated time of 7.5 seconds, and my 330 is WAY faster than my last car was.

• postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    To add on to what Brave1heart said, type in MSG #2579 and read it and the following post. This is Platypus' ED experience.
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    dave:

I remember hearing about that kid wrecking a couple of cars in HS. Is that true?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    DL7265,

Having owned 5 VW/Audi products in the past, I was a loyal customer until VW (in their infinite wisdom) cancelled the manual transmission version of the Passat GLX for 1999 only. That was the very year I needed a new car, hence the fact that I looked further a field and realized that because of the high residual values of the BMW 3-Series, I could lease a $38,000 328i for only $20 per month more than a $29,000 Passat GLX. The long and short of it was that I got kind of “Torqued-Off” at VW, while at the same time I thank them for their idiocy, which caused me to lease a far superior car in the 328i. I am not saying I will NEVER buy a VW again, however, it may be a very long time. Thanks for the heads up on the W8 Passat, it does sound like a cool car.

Genie1,

I will in fact have to test with real warm bodies, and given the medical reviews so far, the working prototypes should prove that my design cannot cause CTS. At that point, I intend to go shopping for money. ;-)

Denright,

Long time no Howdy! So, Howdy Do Sir!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I want one of your mice NOW!! Eradicating CTS must be one of the greatest medical achievements of the decade. I can see an M6 zooming by in a couple of years ;o) I'd be happy to finance a tiny little part of your M6 (by buying the mouse, that is).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The 3-Series sedan, the 330Ci, the 5-Series sedan, the 5-Series wagon, the M3 and the 3-Series convertible all take top honors in their respective categories in the recently announced Edmunds Most Wanted Awards. Follow the link on the left sidebar of this page to see the story.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My friend, you have but to ask, and when I have it you may drive it anytime you want. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Pat -

Great selection of cars!!! Not just the BMW choices...I have to admit that if I were to vote, my choices would be the same in most categories. Feels like home here.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    Never got a ride it the Countach. Would have liked it though. I like the styling on it better than the Diablo myself.

novcenthusiast: Don't know. I didn't know him well, plus I was only there for 2 years. We did make national news with parents charting a bus, so their underaged kids don't have to drink and drive during Homecoming (wasn't my class).
  • derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    Yes, the write-up (and awesome pictures!) from Platypus was what convinced me to go ED. For anyone who's interested in any details of my transaction, feel free to send me an email. My deal was $1425 over Euro Invoice ($1400 + $25 processing fee) with no MACO. 4 weeks and counting until I pick up my baby in Munich.

Whatever happened to Platypus, by the way? It's been too long since he posted here. Too busy driving his silver 330i, I guess :)
    Never got a ride it the Countach. Would have liked it though. I like the styling on it better than the Diablo myself.

novcenthusiast: Don't know. I didn't know him well, plus I was only there for 2 years. We did make national news with parents charting a bus, so their underaged kids don't have to drink and drive during Homecoming (wasn't my class).
    Last thing I remember platypus mentioning is that he was leaving his job in Austin and relocating to Frisco for an MBA at Berkley. He popped in once a month ago or so to inquire about the steering retrofit and said he was going to let us know how it worked out for him. I guess he's very busy studying. More like spending his life at cocktail parties networking - GPA's not very relevant in MBA schools.

BTW, you think I could be the board's historian?
    Looking at the new Audi A4 3.0 quattro, I am struck by the fact that this is a lot of car for a very reasonable price. 220 HP, AWD, and a very nice entry-level luxury package. For all this, loaded about the same as my 2001 330xi, I would expect to pay approximately $36,000 -- $2,500 less than I spent on my 330xi.

I don't like the looks all that well from what I can tell from TV ads and pics on the web, though I would want to see one in person and up close before drawing any real conclusions on the aesthetic issue.

What is the buzz among my fellow 3 Series lovers?
    I came across this on another board this evening. The story supposedly came from a BMW board but by the time I saw it the story had been cut/pasted into a Honda discussion board (NOTE: please, no jokes about me reading Honda boards I found it on a technology board I frequent)

Enjoy
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Denright, I looked at the new Audi's last weekend. I didn't drive one since there were a lot of people around on a Saturday. On the positive side they do seem to run $2,000 - $4,000 less than a similar 3 series. On the negative side, the back seat is still too small for an average male adult. IMHO, nothing in the price range, comes close to the striking looks of the 3 series. I like the looks more every day. Finally, the repair and warranty history for the A4 is not the greatest. I've been snooping on the A4 board and even the current owners are discussing some repair problems.
    I really liked the looks of the A4 for maybe the first 4 years they were out, but I have to agree with bmw323is that it doesn't come close to the great looks of the new '01-'02 3er. After becoming enamored with this latest Bimmer design, I now think a little differently when I see an Audi. Now it makes me imagine that someone has taken a nicely styled car and tumbled it in one of those rock polishers that you always wanted when you were a kid :) You know the ones that will tumble an old rock around until the unique lines are gone. And you're just left with a somewhat pretty, shiny, but at the same time rather uninspiring blob. That's not to say Audi's are hard on the eyes--that prize currently goes to the IS300 and WRX in my book--it just isn't an inspired design like the Bimmer to which most people I know say "Wow, that's really a beautiful car."
  • visordocvisordoc Member Posts: 48
    I just test drove a 2002 a4 3.0 quattro with 6 speed manual non-sport package yesterday. My impressions as follows.

The exterior: took me a while to get used to the new lines on the car. Looks kinda plain, when compared to the aggresive stance of the 3-series sedan. From most angles it looks balanced with an organic rounded yet boxy look to it, but imho, it looks horribly ugly for some reason from the side profile with the bulbous trunk sticking out back. I tried hard to be open-minded and unbiased, but I really couldn't get myself to like that view at all. If the a6 exterior doesn't set your heart on fire, then ditto the a4 because it just looks like a 7/8th version of it. Oh, another thing, the very un-subtle black plastic lower skirting looks horrible with any colours lighter than gray or black.

The interior: on the other hand, is the redeeming part of the a4, because there are so many small and large thoughtful, elegant, and luxurious touches that add up to make this a true luxury sedan, even with base trim. Like standard 6 disc in-dash changer, 10 speakers with standard subwoofer, dual auto climate controls, etc. Also, one thing that the a4 has over the 3-series is that all the interior surfaces invite you to feel and caress the soft textures. And you get all this costing a few thou less than a similar 3-series.

Last but most importantly, the drive:
    Driving position and steering wheel feels great. The shifter had short actions, however, it is "rubbery" and "distant" (now i know what the auto journalists mean when they say that in their reviews) when compared to the 3's. The first gear ratio in this 6-speed is also set quite high, so i had to shift into second almost immediately when accelerating hard because i was running out of room on the tach. I don't know whether that is something i can live with on a daily commute in rush hour. 2nd gear starts were possible, but i had to be careful not to stall the engine at a critical moment. With an aggresive right foot, the engine sounds a muted roar plus a little bit of the 3's "sewing machine" quality, but never did it approach the level of all-out aural delight of the 330's engine and exhaust. The non-sp suspension was soft with kinda tallish passenger tires: 215/55/r16. The grip going around corners was great especially when there were bits of loose gravel on the road. But on a straight, the accelaration was not as decisively forceful as the 330 due to the extra 300lbs it packs with quattro and luxury trimmings. The extra weight (and 60/40 weight distribution) also similarly affected the tossabilty of the a4 in attempting quick transient maneuvers. All in all, a safe, luxurious car, but not as sporty as a 330.

One thing i did notice after the drive, was that during the whole 40 minute trip, never once did my mind wander from the task of driving to the pleasure of appreciating the finer luxurious offerings of the interior. What does it say about me?

My $0.02 conclusion: in this competitive market for entry level luxury sports sedans, the a4 is built with heavier emphasis on luxury, whereas the 3-series is built with heavier emphasis on sports. So, in choosing one car, it really boils down to one simple question (to which there is no right or wrong answer): am i a passenger or a driver?

Oops... sorry, didn't realize it was going to be such a long post :)
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    Doc:

Are you sure you weren't testing the A6 instead? :-)
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    Pat:

Were the nominations announced only on the BMW boards? That may explain the results.
    Good write-up - keep 'em coming.

We own both the '01 A4 and the '01 325i and although the 325i is sportier, I would never think of the A4 as a passenger's car. Quite the opposite: I love driving and I could be very happy with the A4 1.8T. The 325 has the edge in sport and especially feel category but they are closer than a lot of people think. Everything in the A4 is softer in a good way and there are times in everyday driving when this is an advantage. If I'm driving on a dry road by myself, I'd take the 325i. If I'm driving in the wet and especially with my 6-month pregnant wife in the car, we always take the A4. It's still a pleasure to drive the A4 and it still feels sporty but in a more muted, luxurious kind of way.
    Your safety concerns re: driving in the wet, etc. is exactly why I went with the 330xi instead of the 330i. For the really rough circumstances (and for transporting cargo and/or dogs), we have a Grand Cherokee.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Edmunds.com writers made the selections. For more detail, see this link: How we selected the Most Wanted Vehicles.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Hi - I'm shopping for a new BMW 3-series and am looking for the softest ride available (I'm coming from a Lexus, so humor me!). I'd like to get the 330i for it's power, but it looks like it has a firmer suspension, is this accurate? Also, I assume I want the smallest wheels available? Also, the car must have manual tranny. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!
    The sport pack makes the sport suspension stiffer, so I assume you'll have to get one without the SP. The sport pack is standard on the 330i, 330ci, and 325ci. You'd have to get the 325i, which is the only RWD that comes without the sport pack standard. If you go with a manual tranny, the 325i is plenty fast for everyday driving. You may also want to consider the AWD 330xi and 325xi - those have slightly softer settings than the RWD cars and may be a better choice for you. If you go that route, my choice would be the 330xi, as the 325xi is a little slow for my taste. One more tip - pay special attention to the seats. One of my colleagues has a '91 ES300 (a manual one!!!) and he is in the market for a new car right now. He said he loves the manual tranny, the ride, and overall feel of the 3-series but really dislikes the firm restrictive seats, even those offered in the non-sport package. Compared to those in the 3-series, Lexus seats would feel like your living room sofa. Good luck, I hope you get yourself a nice Bimmer.
  • visordocvisordoc Member Posts: 48
    Braveheart: thanks for your kind words...

Now that I look back at the comparison, maybe it would have been more fair if I had compared the A4 3.0 quattro to the 330xi. If anyone has done so, can you help us out with your thoughts?
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I totally agree i was in the same boat as you when i selected my 323i. And boy am i glad. i still like the Audi product but after attending the BMW Ultimate drives for 3 years,i dont see how i could ever own another front driver......

Parnola :

Another note about ride quality you really need to drive the sport im telling you its still a VERY comfortable ride , other then maybe the lowest profile rims getting bent if your in an area with Horrible roads.

good luck
    DL
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    And I say go with a 325 with the standard suspension. Anyone sensitive to ride quality [that was made clear in the question] is going to notice the difference. I certainly did on my tests. I want a great long-distance touring car, not an auto-crosser; anyone who cares enough to ask the question the way it was asked is going to want the 325's suspension. It's softer without costing you any ability in the REAL WORLD to outcorner 99% of what's out there, if that matters at all to you...it doesn't to me.

Well aware this is a minority opinion around here...so be it...
  • shawn325ishawn325i Member Posts: 100
    with the standard suspension in my 325i.
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    i hate to say this, but you are shopping for the wrong car...

-Chris
    In discussing the pros and cons of BMWs and Hondas with a colleague (I know, not necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison....but) he keeps coming back to "Everyone knows Hondas have better resale value, are far more reliable, and cheaper to fix." I prefer numbers on paper to "everyone knows" . Now, I can find resale/trade-in values easily enough on Edmunds, but it's not useful for my purposes since it doesn't mention original purchase price for past years' models. Anyone know where to find info like this?

As for reliability, I get the impression that BMWs can be just as reliable as the Japanese but I can't seem to find any relevant stats other than the anecdotal failures sprinkled liberally throughout various message boards like Edmunds. Suggestions?

On the issue of what's cheapest to fix, again I'm not sure. I do know that with most of the work I've ever had done on my cars, it's labor cost that usually kills me more than parts ever do. My Nissan dealer charges nearly as much per hour as my Mercedes dealer. But what about BMW parts? Can any of you who do your own maintenance speak to that?

Finally, after many years I'm realizing that maybe I should have taken auto shop in high school all those years ago instead of some of the useless scholarly stuff that I forgot the day after graduation. I can change oil but that's about it, so attention gearheads: Can you offer any advice on how a person can increase their abilities in the DIY auto-maintenance department? Maybe community college or adult ed classes? Anyone in the DC area want to trade auto maintenance lessons for PC maintenance lessons? :)
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I just started a new topic in Town Hall and think it should draw lots of interest. The title is:
    "Mechanics: Horror Stories." I bet all of you have had at least one bad run in with a dishonest mechanic. Please post your horror story under my new topic. Here is the link: easyrider300m "Mechanics: Horror Stories" Oct 28, 2001 1:54am ---Ok, Guys--start your postings!
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Thanks to all for the advice on which suspension / trim line to get for the softer ride.

cctoenj - please note that I'm not looking for a soft ride, per se - if I were then I'd just get another Lexus. I'm ready for a fun to drive car, I just don't want to jump all the way to the other extreme.

I'll test drive them all and let you know what I choose. The 330xi is attractive, because I'm in Ohio where snow does become an issue, but I think I'd rather save the weight and just switch to winter tires for part of the year.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I thought I would share some thoughts with everyone. This morning I decided to take advantage of the extra hour of time change and get up early and head into the mountains for some fun on the twisties in Colorado with very little traffic on the roads. I was on a road with five or six sharp switchbacks (posted at 15 or 20 MPH). It was a great chance to do some fast cornering.

At first I was going downhill in third gear about 40 and the car just took the corner like a cat with claws in loose loop carpet. On each succeeding switchback I came into the corner a bit faster, without my foot on the gas or brake. I got the summer Conti's to squeal at first and then the next time they didn't squeal but both the front and back were sliding a bit. I could feel, and hear, the tires sliding (scrubbing) on the pavement but they were not squealing. And the DSC never kicked in. So the next time, with the tires sliding again (just a bit) I tapped the brakes in the middle of the corner and the DSC immediately kicked in. It braked the car rather hard and stayed engaged for a second or two. I didn't really like the feeling. The car was very much in control but not under my control. The point is that DSC never came on until I forced the car to get a bit unsettled by tapping the brakes.

I turned around and went back uphill through the same switchbacks. A fast corner with light throttle and little tire squeal was just fine - no DSC. In driving school I learned to throttle steer the car coming out of a corner. It was great fun and very safe. If the front gets sliding a little too much coming out of a corner under heavy throttle, just let up a bit on the throttle and it steers right out of the corner, sweet! At the track I never had DSC turned on. So I tried the same thing this morning, and as soon as I accelerated hard to get the fronts sliding a bit, DSC came on. This time it's just like someone turned off the ignition - your right foot does nothing to the car for a second or two. No problem, but it just took some of the fun away.

I learned a few things. One, leave the DSC on when you are driving on the street. I've read where some people turn it off all the time. That would be dumb. You can still have great fun in the corners and it helps you from doing something stupid. Two, my tires actually quit squealing when they really slid, but you can still feel (through the sterring wheel and your backside) when they are sliding. Maybe this also had something to do with the pavement. I was on a very rough concrete surface (but not bumpy) this morning. I never noticed this on the track, but our track is asphalt.

Finally, before anyone accuses me of being an idiot (or I have to give the disclaimer of "don't ever try this at home kids"). I never came near the total control limits of my car. I have had the car in driving school, on the track and around a skidpad several times where I learned the limits of both the car, and me. I always made sure they was no oncoming traffic (never pushed anything on a blind corner). I never left my own drivng lane, even when sliding a little. Lastly, I slowly increase speed through a number of corners so I can tell when I'm nearing the 7/10 limit and I never go beyond that on public roads or at the track.

I sure do love this car! Wish I had a 330i though, especailly at altitude. In MY 2000 the 13% increase in HP (to the 328) didn't seem be different enough, IMHO, to spend the extra $5,000 (sorry shipo). Now the HP differnce is 22%, and that would make me think twice (of course only if you have the extra $$).

Have fun, but be safe!
    It's great to see a happy BMW owner having fun in the twisties. I wish I were doing that more often but there aren't any good ones within an hour drive of Boston. Rt. 9J in the Albany area was great but I don't get out of work till 7-8 PM... Ahhh, well...

I think that under normal driving conditions, the DSC is there to get you out of trouble in cases of extremely bad driver judgement. It still allows the tires to slide maybe an inch or so before it kicks in but for spirited driving on a back road with no traffic around I'd definitely switch it off.

One of the nice things about having the 330 would be that due to the added power, you can make the back end come out more easily when the DSC is switched off and have fun with modulating that power. The 323/325 SP are pretty hard to slide on dry roads.

BTW, not only do I think you are safe - I think our roads would be much safer if everyone put in an effort to find out their car's limits as well as you do.
  • shawn325ishawn325i Member Posts: 100
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    Great post of your experience with DSC. I've been struggling with how DSC can control the car under _all_ conditions when it manipulates only brakes and throttle. In oversteer, the steering wheel was my primary means of correction.
    Your post and a previous one have jelled at least one idea: for normal street driving, the (RWD) car seems to be setup for slight understeer with recommended tire pressure. As you noted, if the car understeers into a corner or during acceleration out of a corner, you correct by lifting the throttle. DSC could do that. If the car were setup for neutral or oversteer response, throttle and brake would only aggravate the problem.
    I'm a little concerned about your comment that under heavy cornering, when you tested DSC by intentionally applying the brakes, DSC applied them more. I would have preferred DSC to reduce braking so that the tires would have better grip to maintain the turn.
    I have been probing the limits of AWD and so far have come away with the feeling that it is very neutral under power - the front definitely feels like it is being pulled around rather than (in my previous RWD cars) of being pushed straight ahead. As I go incrementally faster, I feel the back begin to lean farther than the front; however, I'm not close enough to any limits to know if both front and rear will nibble together or if the rear will break before the front.
    Can anyone comment on whether or not the Business CD will play homebrew CD-R audio discs?
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    Yes it can - no skips, no problems. Some tracks sound a little louder than playback on other devices so if you have the capability, you might normalize the wave file to 90% rather than 98%.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    My IT guy burned a cd of my favorite mp3s for me last friday. (I believe the CD-creater automatically converts the files to wav(?) format)

Sounds great.
    I suspect it will depend on the type of music. It will violently refuse to play Barry Manilow and it will probably want to play Bob Dylan over and over again ;o)
    Are you talking about CD-Rewritable, or just burned CDs? Burned CDs work fine. Haven't had any experience with rewritable.
  • jpnwdcjpnwdc Member Posts: 42
    I like everything about the 3-Series but the seats. I am amazed that BMW only gives you a 6-way power seat with the Premium Package. Do you still need to buy the Sport Package in order to get an 8-way power seat? If so, I guess I'll have to look elsewhere. I need the ability to adjust the seat more than the 6-way seat allows.
    We tested the MB coupe/hatchback (auto version) this Saturday.

I was impressed by the 4 cyl kompressor and front end torque. Acceleration was smooth and quick.

Curves felt a little sloppy compared to the Bimmer but I think the power compensated well. Visibility was not as good as in my coupe (which is about perfect). The C(?) pillar is quite wide.

The panoramic sunroof is amazing. I still don't like the chubby rear, but the car fit me fairly well. It was fun to drive. I would consider it as an option when its time to trade. (A used SLK would be nice too)

My brother has decided to order one in Capri blue, oyster leather, heated seats, and panoramic sunroof. He preferred it to the 325 we looked at. The MB worked out cheaper, once all our options were added up. (Everything is extra on the Bimmer, a lot of things are standard on the MB)

This car is not for everyone. It works for someone like my brother with his personality and current situation in life (24, single, needs sporty with functionality of a rear seat that folds FLAT for deliveries).

Besides he said I could drive it any time. :)
    power seat is your major concern, then yes, you really should look else where.
    A friend of mine drove the C240 about a month ago, and she didn't like it at all. According to her, it wasn't very sporty, and felt cheap. Amazing how much people's opinions vary.
    The 240 sedan is sluggish and not sporty at all. It has less hp than the 4cyl coupe. The coupe is a fun car. Yes, the headliner and fabric is cheap (compared to an E- or S-class). But the leather is nice. Its a great entry level Mercedes. Its not a serious car.

I'm not comparing the 240 sedan to a 325. I think I would hands down prefer the Bimmer in this situation. But for fun the 230 is quite nice.

There are also not as many in Toronto as the ubiquitous 3 series.
    Thanks all for answering the CD-R question. We're starting preparations for our ED trip (just 4 short weeks away) and I realized we'd need plenty of music for the ride. It sounds like 10 or so 80-minute CD-Rs should do nicely.

Speaking of which, I was at the dealer this weekend and started hitting my salesman with a laundry list of questions about Munich and German driving in general. He's from that part of Germany and had some excellent tips. Anyway, his opinion was that 85mph could be safely exceeded during the break-in period as long as the RPMs don't kick up too high. He recommended not exceeding ~4000RPM up to 500 miles or so (which jives with what others here have said) but without regard to speed. Then no more than 4500RPM from there to around 1000 miles, and anything goes (within reason) from there on. What speed is a 330i going at 4000RPM in 5th gear? 100mph or so? Anyone think this is bad advice? It sorta makes sense to me in that you're really breaking in the engine, and all the engine cares about is how fast it's running, right or wrong?
    here's what my sales lady told me when I picked up mine. Don't go over 100 mph, or 4000 rpm for the first 1200 miles. 4k in 5th is over 100 mph, but can't remember by how much.

I believe the owner's manual says the same thing. You can always download a pdf version off the BMWUSA web site.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I agree completely that rpm is what matters, and 4000 rpm is the reasonable limit for the first 1000kms. That will be plenty fast enough. I can tell you from my own EU driving experiences that, these days, it is a truly rare stretch of autobahn [or motorway or autostrada or autoroute] where traffic stays clear enough for long enough to really exercise the machine much above 150-160 kph for any extended distance. Just about the time you think you're in the clear, some oaf will lumber out from the inside lane, and the party will be over for awhile. Then everything picks up until the next slowdown...and never mind the almost continuous construction projects.

4000 rpm will do nicely...