Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    Thank you - I see your point. I have to admit the clears on BMW's are by far the best I've seen yet. I also agree that they tend to look better with darker colors. Shouldn't the blinkers be amber by law, though? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that not all clears are legal. Or was it just those Silvertone light bulbs?
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    There's another reason the battery is in the trunk. Heat is the enemy of batteries and dries them out. The trunk will, generally, be cooler than the engine compartment.

That's in addition to the weight balance and chances for explosion. The battery blew up in our saab, and the acid eventually ate through a $300 battery cable. Uck.

dave
  • gurumikegurumike Posts: 442
    .. You've already debated two plus topics. May be I should start working on EDT.

Battery is in the trunk for reasons already pointed out - Safety (it's out of harms way) and weight distribution.

On the AWD option, I was at work until 5.30 PDT (8.30 eastern) and I heard or saw no newsletter from BMW on this no more AWD situation.
    I just checked the bulletins on Centernet and there's nothing on AWD supply "problems". I will check with Jon at work today to see if there's any info I'm not aware of but my thoughts, people, are that there's no hot-off-the-press fax from BMW cancelling AWD.
    We mean it that way. We try to get all the topics out of the way before you wake up. See, now that you're awake and on-line no-one's posting any more :o)

Hey, thanks for the U.K. numbers. We have it very easy in this country indeed - cheaper European cars on top of much cheaper gas. Higher salaries average and lower costs - overall, higher standards of living and better purchasing power.
  • langley2langley2 Posts: 24
    Don't have any more details on the AWD situation than what I already posted. All I can tell you is that I was sitting in the sales manager's office trying to find out why it's apparently taking several days for my own 325xi to get from NJ to Northeastern PA, when he opened up an e-mail and said, "You're lucky. Listen to this." He then read me an excerpt from the e-mail which said something along the lines of, "Due to the overwhelming demand, we regret to announce that Option 230(?), i.e., the AWD option, will not be offered on 325 sedans scheduled for July/August production." I'm paraphrasing, of course, and there was apparently much more to the e-mail than what he read to me, but that was the jist of it.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    Do you need to drill to put on the mude guards, anyone here done have mud guards? Saw a 3 series with them on, kinda big for the car, don't you all think?
  • veekay1veekay1 Posts: 180
    The car is great!! Its solid, powerful (yes even the 325 ahs more than adequate power) and its smooooooth!! The interior is very classy with attention to detail and what I found most pleasantly surprising is that the stock audio system is very , very good indeed...and i dont even have the CD, just the cassette....i am glad i did not invest in the HK, cos although I am sure that HK is even better, the stock audio more than serves my purpose.
    I try to keep it below 4000 rpm, but on a couple of occasions have crossed it...that is unavoidable...the steptronic is very smooth, and the AWD is great in the rain (tested to the fullest in the rain over the weekend).
    The Xenons.....oh.the Xenons!! u will see for urself!
    I hope u get ur car today.!!!
    good luck!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,591
    Ray, I grew up in Westport (I still miss DeRosa's and Art's Deli!). I worked for a while in Stamford and, like you, 95 was closer to both home and work than the Merritt. I got so tired of the 15 mile, 45+ minute commute that I started taking MetroNorth from Westport to Stamford. I think that decision has added years to my life!!! It was nice to look out the train window at 95 and see the construction and stalled traffic while reading the Times....
    Kinda hated to leave CT, but the taxes were much too low so I moved to MA!
    Say hello to Stew Leonard ( I imagine he's out of "prison") for me.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• stevenf7stevenf7 Posts: 3
    Thanks for steering me to the on-line BOW accessory sites. They provided very helpful pricing information. I'm going to buy the removable hardtop to go along with my new 325Ci. I came across a "Hardtop Installation Kit" on the Pacific BOW site. The listing indicates, "(required)". Sounds like fun. What does the installation kit do? Is it required?

Steven
  • burrsrburrsr Posts: 255
    Battery is in trunk for all the reasons mentioned (all great ones). Say a battery weighs 50lbs and is in a 3,500lb car's (with 50/50 WD) trunk. The battery represents about 1.5% (rounding) of the car's weight. Moving it to the front of the car will take 50lbs from the rear AND add 50lbs to the front, resulting in a 3% turnaround, or 53/47 overall WD. Not to mention effects on moments of inertia, etc. It's interesting to see how something as simple as battery placement can be optimized to produce so many (transparent to the driver) benefits...
    Wow, it's been a while I've lifted one but that's heavy. On a 3,250 lb car like the 325i manual, the % difference would be even greater than in your 3,500 lb example. One more thing: I'm putting myself on a diet and I'm never taking passengers again in my car. Unless they want to ride in the trunk when I'm driving in snow :o)
    is probably a conservative estimate. Some may be closer to 70 or 80lbs. Have you ever picked one up? Their weight is extraordinarily deceiving for their size. That's why they are sold with handles on them. Without the handles, picking one up would be akin to one of the feats-of-strength on the World's Strongest Man Competition. I think they fill the battery case with the same substance that black holes are made of -- not even light can escape the gravitational field created. :)
  • genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    "I'm putting myself on a diet and I'm never taking passengers again in my car. Unless they want to ride in the trunk when I'm driving in snow :o)"

You wouldn't be implying that the car handles poorly in winter, now would you? Because I just signed 3 years of my life away on one of these babies. And short of moving back to the US, I don't see a way to avoid winter driving.
    I think that Brave meant to imply (sarcastically, of course) that he didn't want to do anything to upset the 50/50 WD balance. It's interesting. I wonder if the 50/50 is obtained with or without a tankful of gas. 16 gallons of gas can weigh 150lbs or more, and the tank is in the rear of the car very near the rear wheels, I believe. Also, the passenger compartment is fairly equidistant between front and rear wheels, so adding and subtracting passengers wouldn't affect the WD as dramatically. Now adding passengers to the TRUNK is another story...
  • drcrdrcr Posts: 87
    I would imagine a clip of some sort vs drilling. I'll check out circle and get back. I also considered the flaps but don't know if they are too Kmart looking
  • genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    Actually I quite appreciated the 50/50 balance.

This is the first RWD I drove and I liked the fact that it didn't seem to lurch forward like most of the FWD/AWD cars I've driven (I don't know if that makes me a natural RWD driver or a really bad FWD one!!) :)

I'd mentioned earlier that I would consider adding bags of salt to the trunk in winter but I don't know if that would be necessary for such a well balanced car.
  • aculexaculex Posts: 25
    BMW batteries are intentionally heavy to create a 51/49 weight distribution.

I bought a "Chevy - Like a Rock" mud flap and installed it onto my new M3. All you have to do is 'black out" the name Chevy and paint in "BMW". Auto journalists always regard BMWs for their solid structures so I wanted to get that point across. I drilled the flap in with a standard bit used for concrete.

I also replaced the standard M-spec alloys and installed American Racing chromes. Very nice - really transforms the car.

Now I'm looking for a "Fear This" sticker for the top of the windshield - can anyone tell me where they bought theirs?
    Nothing like a little satire to liven up an otherwise mundane series of posts, eh? :)