Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• eddoceddoc Member Posts: 2
    I apologize for not clarifying which M3. I am currently on a waiting list (with a refundable deposit)for the new M3 and should expect delivery approx mid 2001 provided that there are no more delays. I however continue to reconsider the 330ci/i with the sport and premium pkgs as well as the S4. Both of these vehicles are great and hover around the $40k mark. The 330 is wonderfully balanced and a delight to drive while the S4 has such abundant torque, great acceleration and the advantage of all-wheel drive.(I am rather concerned about the M3 abilities in the snow even with snow tires as I cannot afford to be snowbound) Any thoughts about the long term reliability and durability of the BMW and Audi products? Thanks for your comments and opinions.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    From what i hear, it's the same AWD system as the one in the X5, so it's been out a couple of years. Get some snow tires and you'll be fine with the AWD on snow and ice.
  • seattlesheilaseattlesheila Member Posts: 68
    Ain't a new car hard to deal with! The manual for my Lexus IS300 says not to top 55 miles per hour for the break-in period. That's HARD!!!! The car wants to go and I've been "baited" several times. I sympathize.
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    I've been reading a lot of post from this forum. And finalized to get the 325i. I tested drove the 325i with the sport package and felt just a little too sporty for me. I'm wonder if the 325i w/o the sport package, does the handling still acceptable? (I couldn't found any 325i w/o the sport pk to test drive) Any feed back would be much appreciated!

driver36
  • jimmalojimmalo Member Posts: 5
    Charmaine...HomeLink is essentially a built in garage door opener. On the BMW it is a dealer installed option. It rids one of dealing with a clunky remote
  • adpincadpinc Member Posts: 4
    I love my '99 BMW 323i. The HK stereo is awesome, and FM reception is great, but the AM reception leaves a lot to be desired. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix?
  • bavarianbavarian Member Posts: 63
    I have a BMW 325i without any packages whatever- just a bunch of individual desired options.
    I have had the car for a week or so and have 700 delicious miles driven so far.
    I had to return the car to have the "service Engine Soon" warning reset and Basney BMW loaned me a 323 Sport Wagon which had Sport and Premium Packages installed. I drove it on the twisty country roads of Indiana and Michigan and put 170 miles on it within four hours, which included a picnic stop.
    I had a big cheesy grin all the while, not just because I was driving a BMW but because I felt justified with my original option choices. My car provided a much smoother/quieter ride on the raggedy roads and felt just as secure on the tight bends which I took at the same speeds as the loaner. The only option I regretted not getting was the heated front seats. I won't make that mistake next time.
    Find a dealer who has both the sport and non-sport option and drive them back to back on the same roads and make the choice. I know many owners couldn't live without the Sports package.
    I opted to style the car more for comfort (and price) but each to his own.
    As long as you are in a 3 Series you will be happy!
    I love my car.
    and feels just as sure footed on the bends
  • dchinndchinn Member Posts: 64
    Isn't there a 7-8% price break if U did a European Delivery on all BMW models? U purchase your BMW stateside and go on vacation to Europe & meet your US DOT'd car there. U can sight-see without spending $$$ for a rental car. Shipping back stateside is all handled by the dealer.
  • loireloire Member Posts: 7
    i really-really advice you to get the sport package if you're gonna buy 325, it's worth it, you got more than 330's sport package, about the handling 325 standard suspension is nice enough, of course it is a BMW, but with the sport package you will get a more nice enough suspension, less body roll when you speeding in the cornering, not only that you also got a wheel upgrade from 16" to 17" which will cost you $1000+ if later on you want to upgrade it(trust me, your BMW will look nicer with bigger wheels), and consider the comfortable 10 way sport seats, yumm!!!
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for loire and bavarian's input!

"loire" you are right about the sport package. When I test drove the 325i with sp pk last month, it was sharp on any corner. But I felt the same way with "bavarian"'s comment, I really don't want to feel every single bumps on the road. Cause my back is getting older. Anyhow, I'll re-test it again with the sport package to see if I can take it or not. I've already made an arangement with a salesman to let me drive for an hour sometime next Thursday. I'll post again then!
    Thanks again for both inputs :)

driver
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I'm going sport, but I think the big reason NOT to get it is if you drive on streets with potholes, especially if you're normal mode is just to charge on through. The 45-series rubber on the sport package just doesn't give you much margin for hits. The likelihood of wheel damage is pretty much a function of aspect ratio of the and 55 or 60 series rubber gives you much higher margins.

So...

snow belt - non-sport
    S cal - sport
    commuter car - non-sport
    play car - sport

- Mark
  • reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    I thought I'd add my $.02. I've got the sport package and love it though I agree it is a matter of personal preference. But I must say comfort is not an issue. The sport suspension is definitely not harsh or unforgiving. The sport seats are exceedingly comfortable. I drive the car daily and have never wished I'd made a different choice. Incidentally, I'm 41 with L1-L2 vertebrae previously fractured, so I've had my share of back problems. Bottom line is, before deciding, drive both more than once if you can.
    Talking about sport package, i just reliaze i didn't know whether my 330Ci equipped with sport suspension or not, because i didn't get the sport package option (sport package in 330 is not as generous as in 325, 330 did not got a wheel size upgrade and did not get a suspension upgrade!!!)
    so is anyone know about 330's suspension?, is it same like 325's standard suspension?, or same like 325's sport package suspension?
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I believe all coupes get the sport package by default. But I could be wrong.
    You may not like it...or you may...at least look at the new Lexus IS300. Same class, lower price. I love mine. :)
  • outlaw32outlaw32 Member Posts: 8
    i'm also looking at is 300. could you get it below msrp? how doest it handle?
  • josephl526josephl526 Member Posts: 7
    I finally picked up my 325i on Thursday. Steel blue, gray dead cow(leather), sport, CD, cruise, moonroof, 5 spd and alarm. There has been a lot of complaining about people's autos. Mine as ZERO squeeks, noise, vibrations.... The interior and exterior is excellent craftmanship. For ME the sport suspension and seats are wonderful. I can see how some people might find it a little too harsh though. Please find out for yourself!

For the people looking at the IS300. I did test drive the vehicle. Very nice car! I personally could not get past the interior. Way too many ovals, circles......
    Enjoy your cars.
    Most of the data seems to indicate the 3-series is doing pretty well on reliability and repair issues. I think Consumer Reports has been giving it "better than average" ratings. I don't see many folks here having problems, certainly nothing like some of the US SUV forums.

I do think German cars tend to be more subject to electrical, accessory, and trim glitches, but the problems are usually easy to fix. I'll take a broken window switch over a major brake/driveline issue anyday.

- Mark
  • adpincadpinc Member Posts: 4
    This past march I bought a '99 323i with the sports package. This car was a dealer promo vehicle, and was classified as "certified pre-owned", so it had the 100k warrantee. The car had 14k miles when I bought it. It's a joy to drive, and I love the car. Since I have owned it, though, the thermostat went (a covered item), and now I am having a strange problem with my sun-roof shade. It does not retract properly when the glass goes back and forth. I will be taking this in to be fixed as well.

My feeling is that the '99 is a great car, and I am glad it is covered under an extensive warrantee. I have had no major problems with the car at all, though the problems I have had are inconvenient since the dealership is 30 minutes from my home.

My car was "born" at the end of '98, so it is possible that the problems are associated with being a early production car of the new design. You will probably have even less issues with a later model '99. Something that rolled out towards the end of the '99 model year.
  • hoser7hoser7 Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering if anyone has any input yays and nays - about the BMW 318ti? I am considering a search for a used one (obviously, they aren't made anymore!) b/c it is likely the only bimmer I can afford, plus I do like the look of the hatchback. That said, I know very little about the 318s at all. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    My 98 has been very reliable, except for a power lock switch for the passenger door and a brake light switch. The general experience is that the serious parts of the car will last forever, but there will be niggling little things. Even running perfectly however, the cost of maintence is high (think there are 7 quarts of oil in the engine) and you change the rotors on the brakes when you change the pads. A japanese car WILL be cheaper to own.. but you won't have major repairs or failures on a BMW. A Lexus will cost less to own. However, I still like the BMW - it is more than the sum of its parts somehow. Drive both and decide.
    As for the 318ti, the word is that they are good, but for real sporting fun need more power. 140 horse is ok but not great. With the stick it's ok but slow with the auto. Handling is excellent.
  • dparis1dparis1 Member Posts: 45
    When the car is hitting speeds of 60 - 80 mph, there is a faint high pitch noise coming from the center of the car. I went with the service manager for a drive and he also heard it. They are waiting from BMW to locate the problem. He said that this will not affect the car, how does he know that if they don't know what the problem is?
  • scottstascottsta Member Posts: 1
    I just recently test drove a 323i at BMW's "Ultimate Drive". The handling was out of this world. I can't imagine BMW wanting to change a thing to this aspect of the car, but apparently they did. I just read that the 325i has a newly calibrated steering for easier parking. What does this mean? I haven't driven one yet, but I was wondering if anyone can comment on what may be the difference. Thanks.
  • duwahduwah Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my white, 325i w/leather, premium pkg, HK stereo and CD changer. All I can tell you is I LOVE IT! I test drove the IS300 and the MB C240 and agree with josephl526 that the dash of the Lexus was way to busy. (I personally didn't care for all the chrome) All the reports I've read about the MB say that it is still playing catch-up to the BMW3.

My experience with the dealer was exceptional. However, if you are considering a trade-in, then you may want to check out places like CarMax that buy cars. I got $1000 more on my '96 Grand Cherokee than I would have with the dealer.

Happy trails....
    I have never read anything definitive about the so-called "light steering" problem.

There are a number of people on several boards who say they've driven the latest cars and they don't think the steering is as good because it is too light. It isn't clear yet whether the "problem" is just in the new 330 or in the new 325 as well. I have seen nothing from BMW directly; just second-hand (or more) reports of people who talked to a "BMW representative" who confirmed some change was made. (BMW representatives might be sales people whose information is typically very, very poor.)

Since all we have are anecdotal reports where people drive the car and complain that it doesn't steer as well as completely different cars they've driven months earlier, I view it as a distinct possiblity that there is nothing changed at all. Or perhaps the only change was a different vendor for tires. Tires can have a tremendous influence on steering "feel".

Finally, some people agree that the steering is lighter and that it is much better!

So...while there is some chance BMW did twiddle with the steering, there is also some chance that most drivers would prefer the "new" steering. In some ways, this debate reminds me of the eternal debate on E36s vs. E46s. Many drivers think the E36 cars are much more direct in their handling and perhaps they are. But that doesn't mean that the majority of drivers wouldn't prefer the "less direct" but much smoother feel of the E46 cars.

If the fine nuances of "steering feel" are critical to you, I'd be sure you drove the car you want to buy and see if it feels OK to you. That's all that matters.

- Mark
  • larryintnlarryintn Member Posts: 103
    There is no doubt that a change was made in the steering to give it a lighter feel. This change is to all 3-series cars and coincided with the change to the 325/330 designations.

Some don't like it because it's lighter while others think they've managed to reduce the turning force without comprimising the car's great steering feel.
  • jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    Please let us know the outcome of the "research" done by your BMW Service Manager. I have a 00' 528iA which is doing the same "high pitch" noise when it is doing 80mph - not over and not under. Just cruising at 80mph without pressing too hard on the gas. I just got the car 2 months ago. Even though it is not a 3-series, but I think the they both experience the same problem. THANKS A MILLION>>>

John
    Have you brought your car back to the dealer to find out what the noise is? I will be speaking to them today, the service manager didn't call me back on friday.
    Don't think this is the right page for a full discussion of the IS300, but yes, I did get a discount. Yeah, I got it under sticker by about $2,000..I might have been able to push for more, but I think the salesman had my number. He knew I was out test driving cars all day and that I wanted THAT car. Oh well, I'm happy. I guess that's what counts.
  • martin13martin13 Member Posts: 21
    Today I took my 10 day old 325i up to 90-100 mph for a few minutes while on the autobahn (stayed below 4.5K rpms). At first I didn't really understand what all the talk about steering was. I must admit that there is a little "play" in the steering that seems (to me) to be a little unnerving @ 100 mph. Enough so, that I thought I'd bring the speed down a little. I'm not sure if after 300 miles, the car is starting to get broken in a little and the steering is loosening up a tad.
    The "play" you talk of sounds like what many have described as a "floatiness" which is sometimes felt when the car is new. Our car had a mild case of this at first but it disappeared after a few hundred miles. The consensus seems to be that it's a tire issue that goes away once the tires are broken in.

In our case it was gone by 700 or 800 miles and has never returned. Our car's currently a bit over 16,000 miles.
  • jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    No, I have not taken my car to the shop yet. I seldomly cruise up to 80mph (even though I am tempted to do it more often with such performance machine : - ) ), therefore I decided not to do so yet unless it is getting worse. And there is no reason for me to go back to the shop any time soon (cross our fingers). Just want to see what your service manager says first before I make a move - i.e. if it presents a potential problem or something serious. Please keep us posted!! Thanks.
    John
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    Drove a 330 and an mb c320 yesterday. I was very impressed with the level of amenities and technology in th 320. The look is fresh and unique. It drove well but was not as quick or responsive as the beemer. I know it allegedly goes 0-60 in 6.9 sec. and the bmw is 7.0. But mercedes must have rigged the test and bmw must be very conservative. The bmw was faster in every way -- off the line, 40 -60 and 60-80. The engine also was smoother. The 320 really sounded like it was straining under heavy accelleration. The bmw really is more of a diving machine-- an extention of the driver. I still am intrigued with the newness of the mb and all the safety features. Anyone have the same experiece?
    Of course eventhough MB has 3.2L engine, it only produce 215 HP, while BMW which has a smaller 3.0L engine can produce 225 HP, I'm sure BMW330 is faster than the new C320, dunno how they do that.=)
  • mike_kmike_k Member Posts: 1
    To anyone thinking of getting a beemer, all I have to say is I hope you like getting to know people very well. Because that's what you will be doing with the service manager at your local BMW dealership. I've had a 325i for about five years and I'm very close to getting rid of the worst car have have ever owned, and I've owned several (Mercury, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Lexus...).
    Whatever fun you have driving this beauty ( and it is a very enjoyable car to drive, handles really well ), is more then soured by the constant nagging problems that you encounter on a regular basis. Some are big, most are small yet very frustrating. Power windows working on and off, sun roof acting weird, A/C going out twice, waterpump, fuelpump, transmission, dying after going thru a carwash.... should I go on...
    For those of you who like throwing money away on auto repairs and getting stuck on the road, this is the car for you, all others look into Lexus and far away from German Engineering!!!
  • qgarqgar Member Posts: 3
    On a 330i, do power sport seats give less headroom than manual sport seats or not? I've heard everything from zero to 3/4", and salespeople seem to make things up on the spot.

An actual number would be great.
  • reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    BMW has said that they upped the boost on the power steering with the advent of the 330. I haven't driven one. I've only read the 8 million posts at bimmer.org complaining about it. Of course, bimmer.org has great information but is, at times, a black hole of negativity.

As for floatiness, this was last year's topic of the moment. To the extent I've experienced it, it was cured by adjusting tire pressure. My car came from the dealer with 36 psi all around. The steering did feel a little sensitive and lacking stability at dead center. When I adjusted the pressure to the recommended 41 psi rear 33 front, the problem was solved. However, there was too much understeer for my taste. I've upped the pressure in the front to 35. For me, the car now rides perfectly.

One other thing I have experienced is tramlining--the tires tracking and being thrown off by unevenness of the road. On grooved pavement, my car feels very unstable. I'm pretty certain this will be cured by a switch of tires. (I've got Bridgestone Turanzas.)
    As I stated before I just bought a new 330i a month ago. 1200 miles on the car. I have been hearing a very faint high pitch noise in the range of speed 60 - 80 mph. This happens when I have eased my foot od the petal to slow down. The service manager at Brooks Brothers(Towson) has heard back from BMW. They are aware of a problem but don't know what is causing it at this time. I spoke to the sales manager and they will be speaking to the factory manager on what to do.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this problem?
    Regarding the tramlining, we get it only on significantly uneven pavement. Seems to be somewhat more likely while braking. We have the Conti tires and no sports package.
    This is happening on a lot of the new 2001 cars the service manager said. They are waiting for a compund to fix the problem.
  • lexusfourlexusfour Member Posts: 1
    I heard there is a website for BMW where you can type in your VIN# to view the status of your car while being built. Does anyone know where this web site is?
  • bunky3bunky3 Member Posts: 8
    How many of you realize there is a rechargeable flashlight inside the glovebox of our 3 series. I've had mine for 7 months, and found the flashlight last evening, neat ha!.
  • martin13martin13 Member Posts: 21
    thanks for your input re: tire pressure. Will make a change and see if that changes the "floatiness". 500 miles so far and no squeaks, rattles or other problems. Seems like the handling is better with mileage like Larry in TN says.

Larry, I'm happy w/ my decision to buy white. Even w/ the rain/bad weather in Germany, the car looks great. I went w/ black interior, so I'll find out next Summer how hot it gets inside.

I'm still as happy as day 1 that I picked up this barebones, moonroof-less, pp-less, leather-less automobile. Just looking at what's else is available, it was a no-brainer.

see ya later-
    rick
    lexusfour

There is no such web site. Your dealer can get the car's production status from his computer but that isn't accessible to the public.

bunky3

Didn't know about the flashlight, eh? Too busy driving it to look around inside? :)
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    Does BMW have any plans to introduce Curtain Head Air bags in place of their sausage bags. I have test driven the BMW 330 and the C-Class and found the 3 series far superior. However, I would like it to have the added safety of curtain bags.

Thanks
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I got my car CPO and noticed the flashlight didn't work right away--they replaced it for free.. Glad it didn't take me 7 months!

dave
  • bunky3bunky3 Member Posts: 8
    How are you?, I didn't notice that flashlight because of the driving position of my seat. I had to physically bend over on the passengers side to notice it. If I would have sat in the passengers seat I probably would have noticed it. I use my owners manual to level the pizza box whenever I pick up dinner, and voila, when I replaced my manual, I saw it. The sad thing is this isn't the first time I've done this with the pizza box, I just never noticed it, sad isn't it.
  • zhdzhd Member Posts: 18
    Anyone here got experience with 325xi or 330xi? Appreciate input.
    I'm fine... Haven't carried nearly enough pizza boxes in the car, though. :)

Did you see the pics of my StarTAC installation? I still have a lot of work to do on the site but most of the pictures, and some of the descriptions, are up. http://how.to/startac
    What products are good to clean leather and wax a BMW?