Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• those p/n's I posted earlier are from the BMP Design catalog.

here's the link to Hella's with p/n's:

http://www.hellana.com/maineng/lev1b/lev2bb/lev3bbc/bulbs.htm

• brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    From what I know, the rating (Z, W, V, etc.) corresponds to a top speed that the tire can withstand continuously. There may be much more that goes into that rating, I am not sure. So the rating alone does not tell you if the tire is for snow or summer. Generally, snow tires are not made to withstand very high speed, so it's rare you'd see a Z-rated snow tire. I think the M+S label on the tire is the indicator that the tire might be designed for snow driving. From what I've read, though, all that M+S means is that at least 25% of the tire is grooves as opposed to performance tires which tend to have fewer grooves for a larger contact patch and better traction. The best way for you to be sure about a tire may be to see their buyer ratings on the Tirerack.

Are you totally up to speed now? If you're not, I think Dave would be more than happy to help you (wink-wink).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Don't forget to use your Arnold accent. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ccotenjccotenj Posts: 610
    even cheaper here...

no opinion on these... i'm having difficulty understanding the concept of "longer range, but not as bright"? couldn't find any description of that on their website...

-Chris

• genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    shipo: you lost me

brave: Yes, I'm sure Dave would be happy to help me (wink, wink), but something tells me it'll cost me dearly. :)
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    come back from lunch and find 14 new posts.

genie1: brave is right about the ratings. It's about top speed, not weather, but due to the nature of tires, Z or Y rated all season are rare. Tirerack has very good page which goes into detail.

brave1heart: you're just too manly for my tastes. Even your user name is so masculine. I hope we can still be friends. :)

shipo: I think I can do Tom Arnold. Does that count?
    Tom got as many yuks as THE Arnold in "True Lies", so use whatever accent that works.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "Dave would be happy to help me (wink, wink), but something tells me it'll cost me dearly. :)"

Now what makes you say such a thing? I've been good, most of the time. :)
    All of that was a long way of saying that the 330i turns its wheels 7% more times around for any given number of engine revolutions when compared to a 325i. Assuming similar tire diameters, the 330i should move 7% further down the road for every revolution of the engine.

Imagine that you are on a bicycle that has gears, the higher the gear, the harder it is to pedal, however, the further you go.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • allanoallano Posts: 175
    Sorry to jump in without understanding what you wanted to do. Do you currently have HID lamps? If not, I beleive you will have to buy the ballast and starter modules also (2nd item on the left). HIDs require 1000 or so volts to operate, not the 12volts in our cars.
    i think what silver is looking at is just replacement lamps, not hid's... you are right, hid's require a full retro, which is why they cost so much from the dealer (or from anywhere else for that matter)... i believe i've seen a hella retrofit kit for around 1400...

imo, the bulbs silver is looking at won't be any better or worse than standard replacements... hid's, otoh, really DO work better... but again, it comes with a price...

-Chris
    Was thinking about Hella's claim that their bulb is less bright but the driver can see farther. That could be true if the bulb emits light in a color band that is more sensitive to the human eye. A 15W florescent (bluish tint) bulb is pretty much equivalent to a 60W incandescent (yellow/red) to the human eye for this reason.
    Having said that, I also don't think the manufacturer's claim has enough merit to be noticeable under normal driving conditions.
    I was able to follow your gearing comparison explanation. I also think that I am beginning to understand what you're saying about the impact of gearing over HP at the wheels and how it would impact the results. In the simplest case scenario, if you shorten the gearing on an otherwise identical car, it would show a higher HP at the wheels, right? So for a meaningful test, it would seem that the computer would need to know about the car's gearing. Always learning from the Master...

I did not understand the "good old 80/20" rule...I always thought that a car with a 10% power-to-weight ratio advantage would be 10% faster, assuming the gearing and all other factors are identical. I don't see how adding 80% power would result in only 20% more acceleration, assuming the power-to-weight ratio goes up by 80% as well. Is this because of other factors like aerodynamics, drag, etc.?
    Of course it will cost you dearly. I thought he already mentioned that he had an SLK in mind as a starting bid...Seems like a (wink-wink)situation, though...I mean, win-win situation :o)
    Wicked-nice (a Boston thing) summary in post 10494 about the need for snow tires under different circumstances. I might add that some super-sticky, cold-weather snow tires are known to be squirmy on dry pavement so all-season tires have a place when roads are snow-covered only 20% of the time.
    The SLK was for me.

I do come with a dowry of gold, a refrigerator, car (see, I'm on topic), house down payment and a full set of pots and pans. :)

Any takers?
    Didn't I already make first claim? I can always use some more pots and pans. :)
    y'know, i shoulda thought of that... thanks for clarifying...

i agree... the claim is kinda along the claims for hp increases with mods...

-Chris
    Yes, you get first rights of refusal, but I have to hedge my bets.

Who knows, you may take one look at the car and run away screaming :)

Let me sweeten the pot...
    My dad'll throw in three goats and a camel.
    A nice toaster is blatantly amiss from your dowry... I think Dave might be OK with that, though.

Is that the two-humped camels or the single hump? 'Cuz I'm hearing the two-humped camels are selling pretty well this year.
    This kind of camel:

http://www.arab.net/camels/

BTW: Anyone ever watched a camel race?

always joked about getting my friend a 4 slotted toaster as a wedding gift. One can do more with a toaster oven.

genie1: is the camel a champion racer?

"Anyone ever watched a camel race?"

In person or on TV?
    I also noticed the lack of car seat covers as well. :)
    Do camels come in 6-cyl or just the base 4?
    Yes, racing camels can cost as much as Arabian horses. I think they go as fast as 12mph.

The really sad thing is that in the Middle East they use very young SE Asian children as jockeys.

In person or on TV?

Well, either.
    Seen it on TV. They're pretty high up there, aren't they? Much higher than horses. Haven't travelled around the world as much as you. I do have a friend who visited Egypt couple of times. People kept asking her male friend, how much to buy her.
    Its a precarious ride at best.

Your friend must have been blonde. :)

Moving around as much as I do, one gets to know a bizarre amalgamation of facts and minutiae.
    Yup. She's blonde. I think the biggest offer was 5 heads of cattle, bunch of goats, and a dog (while she was on safari).

I've moved around a lot, but just in the same general area.