Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    ddblue - I think the most appreciable improvement in throttle response was around 7-8K. It probably is better now with 23K miles on it but I have not noticed a dramatic difference since then. Keep in mind that air temperature, humidity, quality of gas etc. can have a significant impact on your car's acceleration.

330 vs. 325 - They are both great cars. The 325 does not have the blistering fast acceleration that the 330 has but it is still reasonably fast for everyday spirited driving. Put it this way: no-one on the street has managed to intimidate me with my 325i. Someone mentioned in the latest Roundel that the price difference between the 525 and the 530 is only 3.5K and that the 530 outsells the 525. If BMWNA did the same thing with the 3-series, I am sure the 325 would not be outselling the 330 by a margin of 3:1. As far as the representation here, 3:1 may be just about right, no?
    My V-1 bailed me out twice this morning. The second time it started beeping about 100 yards before I got to the top of a hill and sure enough, the officer was waiting on the other side. Similar thing two weeks ago. As far as laser guns, no radar detector will give you a warning sufficiently fast anyhow...btw, there may not have been a signal pointed at you when you drove by. Keep your eyes open - YOUR eyes and common sense are still the best protection.
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    I'd say 3:1 is right for where I live (325 vs 330). Actually, I see many 323's in Pittsburgh. Was there a lease incentive a few years back on these? It seems that when I see a 3-series, it is most often a 323 (maybe I'm just remembering it that way.

Brave: When they tested the 325i, what other cars were in the comparo? The biggest HP Japanese cars all seemed to come out since Jan 2001 (TL/CL Type S, G35, IS 300 - this one might have been around). You're right, the best handling car usually wins in mag tests - but I think there is much more to car quality than just handling or cornering feel.

Incidentally, I saw an early '90's 325 coupe (the kind I almost bought in 1991). Boy do they look boxy, even when compared to cars from their day. That, I think is where the new 3-series shines. It looks like a contemporary car, with great styling, excellent features, and great performance. I think that is what makes the 325i a great value. I'm not sure I consider a 330i a good "value". Great car, without a doubt, but with the 325 on the market, not a great value.
    The IS300, A4, Saab 9-3, the C class, maybe the Lincoln LS... don't remember exactly. I have the mag at home and I can look it up when I get home on Wednesday if you're interested...
  • bmwnorcalbmwnorcal Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I've lurked through some 5000+ posts, I think - trying to decide on what features are most important to include! Everyone has me so excited about driving a BMW!
    This is going to be my baby mobile (upgrading from an Integra GSR coupe), so I've decided on the '02 325i with HK and SP, silver/black'ette. I may live to regret not getting the STEP as a new mommy, but the enthusiasm for manual was so infectious here, and I just couldn't bear spoiling the performance of the car...
    I'm looking forward to reading more about my car, and hopefully everyone will have patience for my newbie questions!
    Thanks everyone!
  • pearl2000pearl2000 Member Posts: 12
    I just leased (for 36 months) a 2002 320i. I've been offered the extended warranty for the period after the lease is up (assuming I will be buying the car at the end of the lease). Does anyone have any comments on the extended warranty? I was quoted a price of $2,523 Canadian plus taxes.

Also, I have to decide whether to get the the Boomerang Security System. Any comments on that? Thanks!

Pearl
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    pearl2000... Are you talking about a BMW or 3rd party service warranty? Some others here use word "warranty" to mean buying the additional 1 year of BMW "free" maintenance.

If the warranty is a BMW comprehensive (bumper-to-bumper) and zero deductible, great deal. But what are the exact terms? Deductible?

If 3rd party, I'm no fan. Usually too many exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Congratulations on your decision. I assume you are odering the car like I did. There is little hope of buying off the lot if you don't want the premium package. It made me remember back to my order on 12/21/99 in which I took delivery 3/30/00. Every night (and I mean every night) I sat down with the 3 series brochure (more of a book) and just looked at every picture and re-read different parts of it over and over. I even took the damn thing when I traveled! Talk about anticipation. Best car on the market - no contest. Enjoy your anticipation!
  • pearl2000pearl2000 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the quick responses! I believe the warranty is a third party warranty. It's got a guarantee such that if you don't use it, you get the premium back at the end of the term of the policy. I know about the BMW service warranty and that sounds great. Basically, with this third party warranty I can buy up to four additional years (after the lease is up) of parts and service warranty (ie engine, transmission, steering, brakes, A/C) etc. There is no deductible

Bmw323is - I must admit, I took one of the cars off the lot (there were only two 2002s left on sight at the dealers) so I got "stuck" with the premium package. Apparently the 2003s will be out in a couple of months so the 2002s are hard to find (the 320s anyway). It may have been a line to get me to buy the car - but once I test drove it I knew I was hooked. So, I get it Friday! Can't wait. The first car I ever bought (a Jeep!) was ordered and I too waited and waited and waited. Heck, even this Friday seems too far away.
  • bbell4bbell4 Member Posts: 34
    What's the scoop on the extended warranty? I know it's been posted before but now that my car will be here next week and they're gonna ask me about it - it's $599 for the extra year. (from 3 to 4 yrs). I think the majority have said no, don't get it, but wanted to be sure!

Thanks.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    You are right about the eyes! They are the best defense and they are what allowed me to escape what I think was a laser type radar. I still love the V1 and just hard wired it into the car today with the hidden display--It took me about 2.5 hours to wire it up and hide all the wires.

The V1 will warn you about laser, true, but this usually means that they have already checked your speed. I saw that officer pick off a car about 50 yards behind me and it was in a pack of about 10 cars (The highway there is 5 lanes each way).

bmwnorcal: go for the manual and have some fun.
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    The digital camera discussion started around message 17839 (i.e. enter that number in the Msg # text box) and spans quite a number of messages skipping groups of them. It picks up again in earnest around Msg # 17871.
  • bbell4bbell4 Member Posts: 34
    What's the scoop on the extended warranty? I know it's been posted before but now that my car will be here next week and they're gonna ask me about it - it's $599 for the extra year. (from 3 to 4 yrs). I think the majority have said no, don't get it, but wanted to be sure!

Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    NycCarGuy,

No time soon, what with dealing with the move and all, I may get unburied enough to go Auto-Xing just about the time the snow flies. ;-)

MFeldman,

Actually the Fuji 2800 has more zoom when you compare "Apples to Apples". The Fuji 2800 has a 6x optical zoom and the Nikon 2500 has a 3x optical zoom. FWIW, I was able to get my 2800 for $275 from an electronics shop at 56th Street and 7th Avenue, I suspect that if you call around, you will be able to at least beat the $300 price tag.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Here is the comparison using a 325i

My favorite quote:

This car flows over the back roads, like a liquid following the contours of the road. Instantly, you're a great driver.

I couldn't agree more!

-murray

p.s. Sorry, I can't get the link to work. Search for BMW 325 and click on the bloodwarmers review.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Just watched Motor trend TV on Speed channel. Had a comparo of a
    330i Step Runflat tires
    G35
    Cadillac Cts

Their pick in every single category ? G35.
    Said the 3er is allmost 4 years old design and is looking tired ??

Admitted they set the 3er up to fail by putting runflats on it, and Step.

Said the only thing the G35 was lacking was the 6 speed it will get in a year and a half.Did they not notice all the tacky plastic dash ??

Most amazing stat was braking they got the G35 to do 60-0 in 110 feet. The 3er was 127 and Caddy 128. Sounds like nissan bought the guys lunch or somehting to me , o well

DL
  • bmwnorcalbmwnorcal Member Posts: 2
    Yep, I had to order - luckily, one is scheduled to arrive in port before the end of the month (23rd); I had to get a color (titanium silver), but I'd rather pay the extra $475 than wait three months rather than the anticipated one. Hopefully it won't be much longer!
  • orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    $599 sounds rather expensive for the extended full maintenance plan, my dealer sold it to me for $400+tax. Keep in mind it's maintenance not a warranty, since they all come with 48 month/50k mile warranties. I usually don't buy extended protection but I took a gamble on this in the belief that I'd probably need new brakes by the fourth year. It certainly is not worth it if you are only going to get an extra oil change (even if it is synthetic) or a set of windshield wipers. But, IMHO, it is clearly worth it (at $400) if the brakes are replaced. The information I got from the dealer and this board indicates that the cost would be at least $600 since BMW replaces rather than turns rotors. On the other hand, $599 rather than $400 makes it really no deal, put that cash in the bank (not stocks) instead!

Thought I'd have my ED deliery today, but it looks like a few more days. Something about getting stuck at the port (doesn't really matter why, I just want my car!) Dropped it off June 7th in Amsterdam and it apparently got on the Trinidad June 10th and supposedly NYC on the 21st. Still hopeful of getting it within a month I'm in a Toyota Avalon as a rental for what I thought was a week: reminds me of a Caprice I once owned, only lighter. I don't see the attraction at all.
    I assume the G35 in the test had performance tires? It's really ridiculous to test cars with different tire compounds. This isn't the first time I've seen them do this (some mag did it in a comparo of AWD sedans, S4, WRX, 330xi). The other two cars were hard core handling setups, and the xi was on all seasons. Of course, the xi finished 3rd (they factored in the price difference as usual between the WRX and the xi).

That said, I see no problem with testing the 330i w/step. As noted here many times, the majority of US buyers buy it that way, and the G35 was using automatic as well. I'll bet the vast majority of CTS buyers will be buying auto as well (although you don't say how the CTS was configured).

As I said before, I don't really consider the 330i to be a direct competitor of the G35 due to price differential. The 325i w/SP and PP is what most people will cross shop against the G35, IMHO, of course.

Just so you guys don't think I am incurably wedded to the convenience of step, when all of my kids are out of car seats (my youngest is 8 months, so no time soon), and my wife and I no longer have a need to share cars, I would seriously consider getting a two door 3-series with manual.
    Thanks for the link. I read the comparo including the 325i. I guess I just missed that issue. That is EXACTLY the type of comparo I was talking about in my previous post (although I find it hard to believe they got a loaded-up C240 and an S60 T5 under the $35,000 price ceiling???).

Having thoroughly shopped and/or driven an S60, Saab 9-3, IS300, and A4 (new model), and chosen the 325i over all of them, I could really relate to the review. Best of all, the 325i that won was red, just like mine will be.
    is incidentally, STILL "Awaiting Transport", and apparently will be forever!!!
  • jrcc330jrcc330 Member Posts: 2
    Have Faith, when I got my 330 delivered, it said awaiting transport and it was actually being delivered to the dealer. The tracking system is far from accurate all the time.
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    "Most amazing stat was braking they got the G35 to do 60-0 in 110 feet. The 3er was 127 and Caddy 128. Sounds like nissan bought the guys lunch or somehting to me , o well "

This is the kind of thing the BMW fans whine about other maker's fans saying...give us all a break please. You yourself pointed out the weak tires, which surely limited the 330's braking ability. Regardless, it would have been nice to test the G35 without the sport package, since it doesn't affect the performance much, according to other reviews. That would have narrowed the gap in the braking and skidpad areas. It also would have fit better with the fact that they were testing automatic transmission versions of the cars, not looking for the ultimate performance numbers. They may have just picked the most commonly ordered models or something, I don't know.

1pierce -

If I remember correctly, the xi S4 WRX comparo used the stock all season tires for the wrx. not a "hard core" handling setup. weak stock tires are the number 1 complaint for the wrx, actually. Even without factoring in the price difference between the wrx and the xi:

"Its 225-hp six-cylinder engine is the least powerful of the group, and it's pushing around the second-heaviest weight. At the drag strip, it lost the sprint to 60 and through the quarter-mile."

"BMW has heard complaints that the base 3-series is too soft and in response has made the Sport suspension — but not the tires — standard on all 3-series produced after last March."

Not sure how "hardcore" the stock handling setup on the S4 is. CTS was auto, by the way.

There's no such thing as a perfect comparison test, but there does seem to be a significant number of positive comments about the G35 comparing well with the 3-series. I don't share your concern about the G35 dash looking plasticky, and also don't prefer the redesigned 3 series headlamps.

By the way, I don't plan to buy either of these cars, I'm leaning towards the WRX which has all of the performance and practicality, but very little expensive luxury bits, which I can live without. I like the 3 series a lot, and think that having the G35 as a competitor that's not a pushover should lead to better BMW's also. Plus, it may inspire BMW to reduce it's prices, or offer better performance at the same prices, which is good for everyone.
  • petrarchpetrarch Member Posts: 28
    This product was mentioned here a few months ago.

Would it work well to remove the chalky dust that covers my 325 after sitting in a parking garage for a week?
    Calm down, bud.

I think we were actually discussing (or at least I was) the relative merits of comparison tests involving cars that are not configured similarly, or are priced wildly apart. Very, very few people will cross-shop a 330xi and a WRX.

I owned a Subaru. They are VERY nice cars, with (IMO) an AWD system that is second to none (and far superior to BMW's, which is simply a marketing ploy to offset the sales bump of Audi's new A4 and the 4-motion Passat in this SUV era). But, as you alluded, there is nothing even remotely luxurious or upscale about them. Many of us who buy BMW's aren't simply doing it for the performance, but also for the character, luxury and prestige value.

By the way, I really like the G35. I don't think the dash is overly "plasticy" (maybe a little too overstyled). I've had Nissans, and they are very good cars. I still wouldn't buy a G35, though, because loaded up, it costs more than my 325i. And, IMO, I can't see spending more than or as much as what I spend on a BMW and ending up w/anything else.

Oh no!, my car isn't even here yet, and I'm already starting to turn into an "***hole in a BMW" as we called them in college.
  • dafreakdafreak Member Posts: 154
    Motor Trend bias towards the G35..???...lol...Thats what everyone has been saying for years about them and BMW...Did you happen to to see the sponsor of the program last night...???...That's right, good ol' BMW...Beautiful, just beautiful...Mabe the next round will go to you guys...In the meantime enjoy your "tired" looking automobiles...Just enjoy them from behind me 0-60, in front of me if you are breaking and again behind me in the slalom and quarter mile....touche BMW...
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    dafreak - What do you think WRX owners are saying for $7K less. They're saying: "Enjoy my tail lights". BTW Bimmers will never see the tail lights, because the G35 is not that much faster, if at all, to get ahead of the 330i. I'd be more than happy to put up my 330i at a race track to prove it. (Since that is not practical however, I'll leave it to the mags) BTW - there is nothing wrong with being biased toward any one car. We know what the *real* truth is however. :)

robmarch - Auto-makers do not reduce prices, except if you're Lexus and your car is the IS300. They won't take away features either. They will provide more value for more cost. The cycle for automobile models starts 3-4 years before the start of the model year. While some things can be tweaked as you go, major enhancements such as re-designs and new engines require huge lead times and capital investments. Anything BMW is coming out with in the near future has nothing to do with Infiniti or the G35 or anyone manufacturer in particular. It has to do with what BMW saw as the future 3 years ago.
    who said anything about 7K less...???...i wouldnt compare a WRX to a 330 or a G35...I was speaking of numbers my friend...The 330 was close to the G35 but not ahead...It used to be other cars getting close to the 330 but bever quite getting there...All I am saying is now the tables have changed...The 330 is a great car, dont get me wrong, its just not G35 material...
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    and exactly how much time have you spent behind the wheel of a g35 or 330?

-Chris
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    A while back someone posted about their new Topaz 330Ci wondering if the thrill will wear off (sorry for not remembering the poster but I'm catching up on ~2 weeks worth of posts). I've had my Topaz 330Ci ~1.5 years and the thrill is still going strong. The smile's there the whole time I'm driving and when I park it and walk away, I almost always look back at it and smile one more time!

Kumhos - I'm now up to about 2K miles and things are definitely improving. They are becoming more communicative by the day. I'm surprised at how long it took for them to break-in, but I'm now wholly pleased with them.

dafreak - if you're in the north-east, why not sign up for the bmwcca driving school at Watkins Glen in August. I'm sure there will be many BMW drivers who would love to admire your tail-lights. But be forewarned, they don't play fair... they use performance tires (instead of run-flat all-seasons) and many know how to shift their own cars.
    ccotenj...I test drove both cars before buying figuring I would get the 330 since its a car I had always wanted...I knew the minute i drove the G35 though that it outperformed the 330....Still a great car though...I believe I have had my G35 since March 28 and love it like no toher car I have ever had...I wash it every week, look at when I park it-the whole nine yards...A very exciting car to own and drive....

kominsky...I would love to get on the track at Watkins Glen but infortunately I live in the midwest...My cousin has had the opportunity to race there many times in the NASCAR BUSCH series though and says its alot of fun...As far as the run flats go, it seems to me that Motor Trend shouldnt be blamed for something BMW has added to their cars wether it be an option or not...High performance tires or not it would not have changed the outcome...Let's be realistic now...In the slalom alone the G35 was over 5 MPH faster...In addition all the cars tested were tested with an automatic version...Fair play....I am sure they will do another head to head when the 6speed comes out though...That should be fun huh...???...I wonder who will win that match and what your excuse will be then...????...
    if you don't think tires make a difference, you are SORELY mistaken...

i'm sorry, but a test drive isn't really enough seat time to compare cars... but then again, that's just my opinion..

in either case, this discussion belongs in the other thread... your cousin wouldn't happen to be the collins who drives the c5r in alms, would he?

-Chris
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    1pierce, you slammin' the xi now? :) Don't be baggin' on my ride now! hehehe

I got the xi because I wanted the AWD option. Audi was too much, VW lacked power, and my wife refused to look at Subaru because she thinks they're ugly. (I personally like em).

So I was 'stuck' getting a BMW or a new Jaguar. Uh, no Jag. :)

I haven't had the opportunity to try my AWD out but I'm hoping it will help us negotiate snow and hills. If the weather gets real bad, I don't want my xi out there anyway (too many idiots in the snow). I'll take my Jeep for that stuff. :)

Is it just me or does the front and back ends of the G35 look like a new Cadillac? :) *ducking and running for cover*

-Paul
    The G35 is not even close to the rarified territory of the BMW overall. If numbers are the only game then compare everything within $20K. Doesn't make sense not to. But when you take the total package into consideration, the 330i soars like an eagel, the G35 like a crow. While you may disagree, and feel free to, that is my opinion. I'm the one after all who bought the 330i not the G35.

I'll take the "slower" "more tired" car anyday with it's better nameplate, prestige and gas mileage.
    I'm not looking for any excuses. I enjoy my car, but I'm not tied to the BMW nameplate by any means. When the time comes to replace it, I'll buy whatever fits MY needs best. "fair play" would be comparing the best sport-tuned g35 available (sport package, auto) with the best sport-tuned 330 available (sport pack, 5spd). And the outcome could definitely be different as it has been in several other mag comparos.
    you aren't helping, you know... denigrating the g35 that way, and then spouting "nameplate/prestige" really doesn't get people to take you very seriously...

fwiw, eagle... :)

-Chris
    I know but this is the 3 series forum not the comparo forum. I'm tired of the undeserved BMW bashing in general.
    yea, but you are rational... :)

-Chris
    it's a curse. ;-)
    ccotenj...I had driven the BMW many times before...thats why I wanted it...I had plenty of seat time...And no the Collins you are refering to is not my cousin...He does not share the same last name...Also, I never said the tires would not make a difference but instead said they wouldnt have made that much of a difference to change the outcome...

kdshapiro...You just confirmed to me why many people buy BMW's...Fortunately for you you bought the car that met your needs...It is not however the better performer...lol...I don't even mind the prestige stuff because some people need that but you look desperate bringing up the gas mileage thing...

koominsky...I agree with you completely...Lets compare apples to apples then....Except in your post you want to compare an auto G35 against a 5 speed 330 (at least that is how I read it)...Let's just wait until the 6 speed G35 comes out and then compare the two side by side...At that point, if the G35 wins, will you admit that its the better performer...???...My hunch is you will admit it and then go buy one ...Either way, if you put the sport 330 auto against the G35 sport auto, the G35 is your winner...

all.....I am not bashing the BMW...It is a great car, and if not for it the other auto companies would have nothing to shoot for...I am sure BMW can reclaim their top spot...In any even, we the consumer benefit...
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Check this review of the 330i for 2002. One can only hope that competition helps stir it to become a better market, regardless of name or marquee desired.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/66109/article.html

-Paul

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As has been pointed out, there really is a discussion on that subject. That's where this conversation belongs.

Those who aren't interested in this debate shouldn't have to plow through it here when there is a much better place for it to occur.

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Not to keep the G35 vs 3 series thread going, but I thought I would point out that while the G35 does stop better than the 3 series, it does so by compromising the ride--the brakes on the G35 are well done, but they have a harsh initial bite like many of the brakes on Nissans. I test drove the G35 and this was one of the features that was noteworthy for me and compromised the luxury feel of the ride in the G35. It stops fast and that is great, but the initial catch is far from smooth and is nonlinear in its response. My opinion has been echoed in the reviews and is yet another example of how the numbers do not represent the true sensation and experience of the driver.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    For the record i was not trying to to start a debate or attract trolls here.That is why i posted here instead of the g35 vs ... ect..

simply giving a heads up on the show to the Gentleman on our board ;)

Lee :i concur wholeheartedly on the evaluation. i have allmost been rear-ended several times by a car following too closely that could not match my brakes performance, and they allmost parked in my trunk.I would say that the "other" car had the spongy brakes but i dont want to get jumpted on by another fellow poster ;X.

far as choosing the cheaper car, they leave off maintence cost and resale value. After said and done we know whats the real value.....

DL
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No, no, I don't mean to be accusing anyone of anything -- it just seems to me that those who prefer this discussion go ahead and move now to the appropriate topic are not being unreasonable.

:)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I have to agree with Don and anyone else who is more concerned about the car behind them in heavy traffic than the one in front of them. When I came back from Germany I still had a little over a week left on the lease on my 328i. As such, I was getting my "Last Licks" in, so to speak, and on the way home one night, the Boxster that I was following stopped very short, as did I, as did the E46 behind me (don't know which vintage), however, the Maxima behind her was NOT able stop fast enough, and managed to spoil the day of the young lady who was following me. :-(

Interesting note, over the years I have driven many cars with braking system well above the capabilities of the average car, however, my BMWs have clearly proven to be the class act of the bunch. As such, when I started driving my (former) 328i back in 1999, I found myself habitually glancing in my rear-view mirror every time I was forced to "Drop Anchor", ditto the 530i. I wonder if there are any statistics regarding the number of bashed back ends verses bashed front ends on BMWs, and other cars in general. I am guessing that our Bimmers are the "Bashee" much more often than they are the "Basher". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I always try to keep a very good distance between me and the car directly in front. If I am driving behind a 911 or another car that I know has great braking abilities, I keep extra, extra distance from them. If I see that traffic is unstable and there is someone tailgating me and not paying attention, I try to lose them fast and if traffic does not have any openings at all, I let them go in front of me. Can't fight bad drivers...Under hard braking, though, more often than not I'd be looking in the rearview mirror if there are cars directly behind me. Keeping a good distance betweeen me and the car in front is not only much safer but it allows me to monitor traffic much better and dart for openings as soon as they become available.
  • soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    I have to weigh in on the brakes issue. Mostly because I was just thinking about it today before I read this thread. I, too, was wondering like Shipo if there is any kind of research on BMW basher vs. bashee. This has been on my mind since last week when taking my 10-day old 330i for a trip with soverypoorwife up the 101 to Cambria. Passing through LA, traffic suddenly stopped in my lane. Mercedes in front of me stopped fine. I got to enjoy all that was the vibration of my antilock brakes, but stopped fine. It was the squealing that caught my attention. "Hey, those aren't my brakes." I look in the rear view mirror just in time to see a slammed Integra, brakes locked, coming at me from behind still doing about 30. I was in the fast lane. There was no shoulder. Traffic was heavy. Funny, at no time was I concerned about me or my wife's health in the rather violent collision that was about to come. I just couldn't believe what was about to happen to my friggin' new car. Anyway, I scooched over to the left as far as I could and got as close as possible to the car in front of me to give the 17 year-old wannabe street racer behind me the best chance to, hope beyone all hope, miss me. At the last second, he wisely let off the locked brakes, regained control, and zoomed around me on the right where somehow space had opened up. It was at that point soverypoorwife and I began hysterical, fear-induced laughter. Um, but Cambria was nice.
  • soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    And I just remembered this one, too. When soverypoorwife got her brand new '99 318ti back in Dec 98 (our first BMW, a major life milestone). She hadn't even gotten the license plates when she was rear ended on the freeway (91 Freeway, to be exact). Traffic came to a stop. She stopped. Car behind her didn't. Wasn't as bad as the LA accident would have been, but she was still devastated about having to take her new pride and joy to the body shop for a new bumper.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Are some people jinxed? Unfortunately, in the 12 years we've been married, my wife has been rear ended by another driver, each time the other driver was at fault, four times. Twice at the same intersection (about 3 years apart). Fortunately, I have never. (Though once I did back my car out of driveway into the side of one of her cars. She never lets me forget that.)