Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    When at a stop, I keep the car in 1st gear at least until the traffic behind me has come to a stop. Then depending on how long I think I'll be stopped, decide whether to go to neutral or not. I developed this habit riding a motorcycle where being ready to move at any time can be a literal life-saver.
  • Yes I purchased at Hassel. I received delivery of my vehicle withing days of it arriving at the VPC. I don't remember exactly how long but it was less than a week. Make sure you are compnesated for your wait - have them throw in the rubber mats and wheel locks.
  • trejos28trejos28 Posts: 93
    When you're completing the credit application it obviously asks for the car you want. But does it really matter that the cost is not the exact amount. They just list a standard 325i. But there is a 325i wagon for about the same price as the 325i I'm looking to buy. Anyway to circumvent this? Does it matter? Did I miss something? Thanks.
  • aaron330iaaron330i Posts: 136
    ...never let the old man "try out" your new car before breakin is complete! He pressured me into letting him drive it (with me in the passenger seat) and he red lined it 4 separate times. I gently reminded him the first two times to not go about 4K (i wanted a buffer), got a tad short on the 3rd, then on the 4th time, I made him pull over and told him he couldn't drive anymore.

I just hope he didn't damage my machine!

I just needed to vent.

Someone please reassure me my car's ok.
  • Yes I purchased at Hassel. I received delivery of my vehicle withing days of it arriving at the VPC. I don't remember exactly how long but it was less than a week. Make sure you are compnesated for your wait - have them throw in the rubber mats and wheel locks.
  • chloe6chloe6 Posts: 38
    Hi!

I posted a response for you on the TL board, but here's a quick one... we're getting the TL for me, the BMW for my husband, and a Toyota Camry for our housekeeper to use. And I don't want to shop for another car for a VERY long time!!!

Have a great week!

Chloe
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    Shipo - everything you said about the pregnancy is totally true - you just described my wife pretty well, except we haven't gotten to the "nesting" part just yet - this is a new concept for me but I can see it happening soon. Good thing we're still renting so we can't just go crazy and repaint the whole place pink :o)

Parking brake - I use it ALL the time in city traffic. I pull it 90% of the time if I'm at a traffic light. This way I make sure that the car won't roll back or forth and I don't have to rest my foot on the brakes and/or clutch, so I think it's a safe thing to do. It may seem like an overkill to some of you but I'm so used to it that I don't notice it. It hasn't had a chance to pick up any rust.

Komisnky - hilarious!! This is the BoneCrusher Belle of imagery.

Guru - I must be missing something about the economics of leasing. You're leasing a custom-ordered car for an expected 11 months and you're adding top-of-the-line built-in radar system, an air intake, and now a nice stereo mod. All for 11 months. Wouldn't this be the equivalent monthly lease on a stock Maranello for the same period?!?

Oh, one of the big shot East Coast executives in our company took us out for lunch today and we started talking about cars. Someone asked me about my BMW and then he said that when he sees a BMW he usually gets out of their way because they're typically bad drivers. I told him that it's probably true and that this is one of the things that I like about the car - the fact that I don't have to negotiate my way in the fast lane. I think what he meant to say is that BMW drivers are too aggressive. Of course, that doesn't make them bad drivers but a lot of people perceive it that way, including him. He's all into the safety thing - he drives a large Swedish car but at least he drives a manual. Oh yeah, the manual is probably to conserve gas and protect the environment better. The safe Swedish car image fits his corporate PC profile pretty well. Of course, I didn't say that but it's nice to know that my company's execs will get out of my way if they see me coming in the fast lane.

And a last thing: the Shtroumpf's pickup has gotten so good that now I can actually chirp the tires when I shift it into second. Has any other 325-er also tried this on a dry road? BTW, 3,200 miles and it's been absolutely totally flawless mechanically.
  • 1. Don't ride the clutch. This will wear out your clutch before you can say, "IS300s blow chunks." This doesn't just mean pushing it all the way down. Don't depress it even partially for extended periods of time (more than a few seconds).

2. Don't let out the clutch too quickly. If you do this from a complete stop, you may stall or get the "jerks" or both. If you're already moving, it will lead to bumpy shifts. There's nothing like a smooth shift, baby.

3. Don't downshift multiple gears (like from 5th to 2nd). Bad bad bad. I've gone from 5th to 3rd a few times, but I've done it only in situations when I've had to and when the change in rpms won't bludgeon the engine. Again, keep the shifting smooth (rpms up slightly before engaging the gear.

4. When going in reverse, never let out the clutch all the way. You'll know what I mean if you try it. Let out the clutch gently, but you will never fully release it.

That's all I got.
  • jfedor1jfedor1 Posts: 39
    I didn't buy from Hassel I bought from Habberstad BMW in Huntington.
    I only sent the on-line credit application to Hassel to see if the other place was lie
    I didn't even negotiate with Hassel at the beginning, because they treated me really badly the first time I walked in. The salesman I had was Asian, and could barely speak English. He didn't even want to negotiate, and wanted to tack on a $500 prep fee.
    Huntington. was very nice till I had the financing incident.

Josh
  • tenet1tenet1 Posts: 354
    Hi All,

Just got my production number and VIN for my 325i and logged onto the Owners Circle, but all it says is my vehicle is scheduled for production.

Is there a way to break down the VIN so I know where it is being built??

How can I get the status code instead of "scheduled for prod."??? Also, does the website display your options etc. I could not find the important stuff.

Any thougts anyone??
  • eugeug Posts: 46
    Don't ride the clutch if you can avoid it. Get in the habit of putting it in neutral at a light. When the clutch is depressed, there is a lot of pressure riding on your bearings. The bearings are fairly beefy, but if it wears out before your clutch does you'll be replacing the both.

I've been using a stick for 14 years, and every car is different. If you are unfamilar with the car, figure out at what point the clutch engages. (Try this exercise in a parking lot before you get going.) First, adjust your seat so you can depress the clutch to the floor and release it comfortably. Next, while in first gear, let the clutch out very slowly and watch the RPM gauge. Stop when the rpms start to drop slightly. Push in the clutch again. Don't give it any gas. You should remember the point at which the RPMs start to drop and how it 'feels'. This point is where the clutch starts to engage. This is where you need to give it enough gas, when you're actually taking off. At this point, if you don't give it enough gas you'll kill the engine. Good luck.
    My sister did something similar to my car when it had about 400 miles on it. I stopped by her work to let her check it out. She got behind the wheel, started it up, and at that moment a couple of her coworkers came walking by. In a moment of complete insanity, she decided to rev the out of it. I was torn between breaking down into tears and beating the tar out of her... test drive over.
  • aaron330iaaron330i Posts: 136
    No apparant damage done though?
    It may be too early to tell, but everything seems fine. Unlike poor brave1heart, I can not only chirp my tires in second gear, I can smoke 'em. :-)
  • RENT A CAR! It's the best and safest way to try everybody's instructions without any chance of damaging your new car. You can probably get a manual Ford Focus, etc. at a place like Economy Rent-a-Car for about $25/day. Put in 2 days of intensive learning, and give it back with THEIR clutch toasted (no reflection on you, but that's what they expect to happen to those cars anyway....). Happy shifting! Hope this helps.
  • tenet1tenet1 Posts: 354
    Hi All,

Just got my production number and VIN for my 325i and logged onto the Owners Circle, but all it says is my vehicle is scheduled for production.

Is there a way to break down the VIN so I know where it is being built??

How can I get the status code instead of "scheduled for prod."??? Also, does the website display your options etc. I could not find the important stuff.

Any thougts anyone??
  • taos2taos2 Posts: 31
    Not down shifting multiple gears seems obvious,
    what about upshifting? 1st to 3rd, 2nd to 4th?
  • There has been some discussion on this board regarding the tax advantages of taking out a home equity line of credit (HELOC), if you're a homeowner, instead of a conventional auto loan. For instance, www.deepgreenbank.com has some great rates right now (as low as 6.10%). But what about a home equity loan (second mortgage)? Wouldn't this be more advantageous because although the interest rate may be a little higher than a HELOC, but you're getting a FIXED 15, 20, or 30 year rate (about 8% now) AND actually paying down the pricinpal of your home? I've read that, depending on the terms of your HELOC, you could be paying INTEREST only for the first 10 years, and then you owe the amount you borrowed at the end of the term (see http://www.fool.com/homecenter/refinance/06.htm). I recall there were a couple of posters that went with Deep Green Bank's HELOC and felt that they got a great deal...your comments please regarding this comparison? I apologize for my financing/loan ignorance, but hopefully the feedback on the pros/cons of a home equity loan (see http://www.fool.com/homecenter/refinance/07.htm)will help some members here in searching out for their best financing options.

PS - thanks gurumike et al for the 2001/2002 clarifications!

• jnscheongjnscheong Posts: 66
    VIN decoding info can be found at

http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq

To get the status code, you can call your dealer or BMWNA. The website doesn't give out status code and options ordered.

jnscheong