Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Leather is additional charge on top of the Premium Package on a 2001 325i. Maybe it is different on the 330i or other models.
  • I'm pretty sure leather is part of the PP on 330i, because it already comes standard with power seats, on-board computer, HK, and the expanded interior lighting. They had to add something to the PP to make it Premium, I guess.
  • hippo168hippo168 Posts: 115
    Thanks for all the info.

I showed my car to some of my colleagues, and they all liked it, esp the color! Jason, that's definitely a good color combo... : ) Can't wait to try the xenons tonite.

the big silver sports wheels look extremely aggressive on the dark grey body. I wanted this car to be as sporty as possible, so I didn't pick those "premium" features such as wood trim, navigation, or heated seats, etc.

I'm planning to read the manual thoroughly, any suggestion on which part to pay more attention to??
  • aaron330iaaron330i Posts: 136
    The zaino is working splendidly, here's some pics:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=aarona&album_id=32810

As for the dash, get some 303 Aerospace Protectant, it doesn't leave a gloss:

http://properautocare.com/303-16.html

I don't think Armor All wipes have the UV protection you want.

Also, get a few Miracle Towel micro fiber towels, they pick up dust and lint like you wouldn't believe.

I've been spending a lot of my time lately on the Autopia detailing forums at:

http://www.autopia-forums.com

Just be sure to protect your car now! Not after the paint's been damaged.

• daswolfdaswolf Posts: 43
    325i Orient Blue, PP, CWP, Xenon, CD, Step sand "ette.

Picked up from BMW of Peabody also. My sales rep spent about an hour going over the features with me. All the paperwork was already taken care of. Took about 30 seconds to feel at home in the new baby.

Man it feels great! Love the way the console seems to wrap around you. Like hippo, can't wait to try out those Xenons tonight. The test drive was nice, but driving your own is a real experience. Gotta go play with it some more now.

Hope you have fun with it tonight hippo.
    Thanks again to brave for all his help.
  • derprofiderprofi Posts: 249
    Someone posted a little while back that the 325i sport package for 2002 would have "Type 96" wheels. Does anyone have a link to a picture of that wheel style?
  • What exactly is leatherette? Is it similar to 'pleather'?
  • In the BMWCCA magazine "Roundel" August 2001 issue, there's a letter in the tech section about a xenon problem on a 1998 740i. Here's part of the Tech Editor's reply: "Is this car equipped with xenon headlights? If so, tell your dealership to read BMW Service Information Bulletin 63 08 98, which details the exact problem you're experiencing, and says that it may be caused by a faulty xenon headlamp control unit...The system is so incredibly complex that even an experienced technician could miss the problem."

I obviously don't know if this info applies to your recent xenon experiences, but it might help.
    And while I'm here, for ANYBODY reading this, you should seriously consider joining the BMWCCA-- even just to get Roundel. If you like this Board, you'll love the magazine!
  • aaron330iaaron330i Posts: 136
    is worth every penny!
  • daswolf,

Congratulations on yours too! Have fun!

aaron,

Thanks for the info on all the products! I'll take them in consideration...and yes, I agree...taking care of the exterior now will save you plenty later....

sunnybrook,

Yes and no. It is a vinyl leather that is similar to Montana leather in texture (not smooth...more ridges). You will most likely not tell the difference at first glance. Pleather is what I've seen on my girlfriend's '94 Altima, very plasticy, glossy and smooth. I think the leatherette is a bit glossy and of course does not feel the same, IMO....however, I really can't give you adamant reasons to spend ~$1400 on the leather. I did, solely because I love leather in cars.
  • rivers5rivers5 Posts: 4
    In case you are not aware, if you install any Dinan upgrades on your BMW, your car will not qualify for the BMW Owners Protection Program that guarantees used cars for 100,000 miles and you will receive a reduced trade in value. Dinan admits to this and the fact that they did not disclose it. BMW admits to this and states that they don't see a reason not to continue installing Dinan at their dealerships; thereby reducing the value of your car. Great country or what.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    I'm happy to hear that you guys picked up your beauties and are enjoying them immensely.
    daswolf, thank you very much for your kind words - I am happy that I have been able to help another brother in arms. I was at the dealership this morning between 10 and 11 to drop off the Shtroumpf for the retrofit and I talked with Mary Galvin for about 15 min. I told her I was very disappointed that she did not return my calls on the financing rate and she said she's been out for a couple of days. She also claims that contrary to what we've heard, the official rate is not 6.5%. I forgot to ask her what the rate was, though. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you in that regard but it seems that you got about the same rate through another bank, right?
    Well, enjoy your cars - I wish you many safe, fun-filled miles and the best of luck to you.

P.S. It would be great if we all got together for a weekend drive with hippo, tchoo, and the other BMW owners in the Boston area some time this fall. We go to the Mohawk Trail in Western Mass every fall with my wife and we should all try to do something like that together. Can you imagine a dozen 3-series in a row going through a myriad of bright colors on a twisty, winding road - whoa!!
    I dropped off my car for a couple of days (retro, fan, etc.) and got a Saturn 4-cyl loaner. Drove it 180 miles from Boston to Albany, NY.. don't want to even start describing it. I am very unhappy thinking I'll have to live in it for the next few days. I miss the Shtroumpf tremendously. We'll be together on Saturday and nothing will separate us for more than a day (if that) ever again, Shtroumpf!! Just hang in there for the little surgery.

P.S. "The BMW Thing" still alive and kicking?!?
    I was in BMW of Peabody at that time too, until around 11:15. I think I saw you... : )
    in the service area and chatting with Mary in the guest area from about 10:30 till 11:30 or so. Bright orange/black/white polo shirt, tough to miss it. Stop by and say hello next time.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Posts: 861
    Your significant other is more tolerant (to driving and motion sickness) than mine if you would be allowed to blast through curving roads with her in the car. My wife would be puking out the window in between yelling at me if I did that :)
    I was in BMW of Peabody at that time too, until around 11:15. I think I saw you... : )
  • roc50mgroc50mg Posts: 102
    bmwwagonmaster: thanks for the heads-up on the xenons. so far my lights are working again so i'll just see if it holds up.

i just bought the V1. i haven't really had time to test it out yet, but i'm having serious second thoughts about it. i read from other posts and other web sites that the passport 8500 was the best new detector out on the market now, and it's $299.00 ($100 less than V1). i'm gonna call up valentine tomorrow and see if i can return their unit. it's supposed to have a 30 day money back guarantee.

zaino: i just received my zaino. i'm gonna put it on in another week or two when i get a chance to wash my car. one thing though, the clay bar is a lot smaller than i thought it was going to be. i thought it was going to be the size of a chalkboard eraser at least, but it turns out they send you 2 tiny little clay bars the size of hotel bar soaps. is this gonna be enough for my whole car (330xi)? sure doesn't look like it right now.

driving: as some of you know, this bmw is my first stick shift car. as foolish as this may sound, i've always wanted a stick shift car, but was not able to afford any car on my own until now. i thought i better learn how to drive stick now in the bmw instead of learning it on a porsche or something like it down the line. well, yesterday, i thought i was beginning to get the hang of it, so as i was accelerating on to the highway going from 3rd to 4th, and then trying to go to 5th rapidly, i mis-shifted (i think i either didn't push the clutch completey prior to the shift or i moved the shift knob diagonally upwards and rightward at the same time instead of going completely to the right and the up) and felt that terrible gear grinding sensation shoot through my arm an into my body. ughh!!!! continued===>
  • roc50mgroc50mg Posts: 102
    and then without noticing that my car was now in neutral i pushed on the gas and saw my rpms go way past redline. the really stupid thing is, after that I was so flustered that i actually went past redline briefly 2 more times, not realizing the car was still in neutral before I finally got myself together and got the car into gear. unfortunately, still going at about 55 to 60 mph, the gear i got into was 3rd and my car reved up to 3000 rpm before engine braking kicked in suddenly.

i'm sorry and ashamed to tell everyone on this board about the terrible treatment and dis-service i'm giving my brand new baby, but i thought i had to share my pain with you all so that i could get some guilt off my chest.

i also have to confess that although i'm not having as much trouble or fear as i used to driving my car, i have yet to have a whole day of stall-free driving. sometimes i feel like just going around the block once and parking the car back in my garage for the rest of the day just to say that i did have a stall free day.

i never expected driving stick to be so difficult. i thought it would be a few days of practice to get fairly good at it, but it's really a lot of practice and some art. for now, i will keep practicing and asking my friends who drive stick to give me advice, but to this day, i have not been able to fully enjoy driving my ultimate machine. one day.....