Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    If you make the cut, I'll see you there. I won't be able to make the autocross on Sunday. The Lord would not forgive me. I guess we will see how many cones I can plough over.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Does not the SP increase road feel and noise?"

Hmmm, difficult to tell, I had a 1999 328i with the Premium Package, no Sport Package, I now have a 530i with both the Premium and Sport Packages, and to me, it feels like the 530i has a little more "Road Feel", however, it is considerably quieter.

"What about tires?"

I had Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus All-Season rubber on the 328i, and I have Michelin Pilot-Primacy performance tires on the 530i (well, had and will have, the car is now shod with Michelin Arctic-Alpin winter tires). For all but the winter snow and ice conditions we have up here in New Hampshire, the Pilot-Primacy tires are by far the better of the two.

"What's the recommendation?"

For you, I would recommend a car very similar to mine; I got a 530i 5-Speed, PP, SP, Premium Audio and Xenon headlights.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    If you're more concerned with comfort & luxury, you should cross shop MB, Audi, & Lexus as well. Also, you don't want the SP on your 5 series, if you end up with a BMW.
  • Options
    ron504ron504 Member Posts: 9
    The dealership here in Little Rock has a Toledo Blue 530 with PP and CWP (I want my buns heated)ready to go. The interior is sand and I really like the grey better I think. They also have a silver on grey with SP and PP. Not sure about the Toledo Blue. It's a very rich look. I currently have a white C-class and have loved the easy maintenance of the color. What tires come on the 5 series? You're sold on Michelin.Also, what's the thought on adding a phone?
    Dave330-Give me a little more on no sport pkg. BTW, I just don't think Lexus quite up to the same class as BMW. Lexus is a very reliable automobile but I think the 5 takes the lead. I've not been happy with my Mercedes.
  • Options
    SP will make the car look sportier & handle better, only major con is that tires will be replaced every 20-25k miles, and they can be pricey. Something to think about.

I have the exact same setup as Shipo, execpt I've got a 330i. The ride is firm, but not harsh. The best thing to do is test drive a 5 with & w/out SP.

Have you looked at an Audi A6? They have one of the best interior around. FWIW
  • Options
    A couple of things to consider:

1) Order your car, that way you can have it EXACTLY as you want it. I ordered both of my BMWs, and the first one was waiting for me at the dealership in less than seven weeks.
    2) European Delivery; I saved almost $5,800 off of MSRP on my 530i, AND driving a REAL car in Europe (as opposed to Fiat Uno Diesels and other such rentals) is really quite a wonderful experience.
    3) While the integration of the phone is nice, for the prices that the German manufacturers (and probably others as well) charge for that convenience, PASS!
    4) The Sport Package is NICE on the 530i, included in the package are (arguably) the best looking set of wheel on any BMW, a much nicer/fatter steering wheel, a nicer shifter (assuming a 5-Speed), a slightly lowered and stiffer suspension (gives the car that “Hunkered” down look), and the seats, WOW are the seats great.

Regarding tires, hmmm, yes, I am sold on Michelin, that said, the OEM tires on both of my BMWs just happened to be Michelin, luck of the draw and all of that. I chose the Michelin winter tires because, according to various reviews, they are far quieter at highway speeds on dry pavement, and have only just a little less grip in the snow when compared to the class leading Blizzak’s.

As a thought, you might want to start following the 5-Series discussion as well, some of us follow both discussions, however, the bulk of the 5-Series knowledge base is over there.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong), that the coupe costs more money because it comes standard with some things that are optional on the sedan like split folding rear seats, trip computer, the sport calibrated suspension comes standard on the coupe. Add that to the fact that the coupe is produced in smaller numbers and caters to a more targeted audience and there's where you get your price increase.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    You sound like an individual that might enjoy the Audi A6 and agree with dave330i suggestion.

As Dave mentioned, Audi has the best interior out there, and the A6 comes with 2 wonderful optional engines, the 2.7 turbo and the V8
  • Options
    cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    I have an '01 330i and I have noticed that a hissing sound exists under the passenger rear door. It is very noticeable. My '00 323 did not make this noise. The dealer I bought it from said it was due to the difference in engines. Is this normal. I don't think my local dealer has a 330 on the lot to compare. Does anyone else have this noise or is it quite as a whisper if you were standing on the outside when car is idling.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    When I am outside of my car, I hear a noise similiar to a "hissing" sound. I have heard noise on a number of different manufacturers of cars, including Porsche and Mercedes. My guess it is the fuel pump, combined with the exhaust sound, combined with the engine sound. The fuel pump will make some sounds.
  • Options
    So you are saying it is normal? It just seems rather loud to me. Anyone else with a 330 and I would assume a 530 since its the same engine have this noise. You can't hear it from inside the car. Only if you open the passenger door or standing outside on the passenger side. Thanks
  • Options
    topspin627topspin627 Member Posts: 67
    Have a 330i and noticed said "hissing" sound after first few months. Dealer fixed it and if I remember correctly it was a leak in the fuel pump.
    Not sure about source of sound but it was definitely gone after fix.
  • Options
    Thanks. I thought it was that or an exhaust leak. I will take it back to the dealer for a warranty repair. I knew that sound couldn't be normal even if the engine was different from the 2.5.
  • Options
    gpwatfrdgpwatfrd Member Posts: 76
    "Also, the coupe styling is not THAT much different to justify getting one. Now, if the bimmer coupe were radically different than the sedan like the Infiniti G35 coupe and sedan, I would have considered it"

I could not agree with you more. I don't see a big difference between the coupe and sedan. They both have the sport suspension and the sedan is more practical for most people anyway.

I was looking at coupes myself and ending up ordering a 330i instead of the 330ci. If the differences were similar to the G35sedan/coupe differences (assuming the changes are for the better) than I am sure I would have spent the extra money and purchased the coupe.

just my opinion...
  • Options
    It's funny how so many people are complaining about how the 330i & 330ci look so much alike while G35/coupe are very different.

Well, if you take a look, the only major difference in the G35/coupe is the slope of the rear. From the front 3/4, the G35/coupe also look very much alike.
  • Options
    And not to mention that I believe the 3er coupe and sedan share maybe 1 or 2 (?) exterior panels.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    robs328irobs328i Member Posts: 59
    There are 3 G35's that park side by side by side at work.... 2 sedans and a coupe.....the difference in the coupe vs sedan is un-freakin' believable....the sedan looks like absolute crap compared to the coupe. I don't know what you've been looking at.....I just can't believe...it's like night and day. IMFHO.
    Bottom line is I wouldn't consider either one but given the choice it would be absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, hands down, no contest. Not even close, whereas the difference in the Bimmer coupe vs sedan is definitely acceptable, again IMO.
  • Options
    ajl1000ajl1000 Member Posts: 15
    Hi!
    Does anybody have any idea how much it costs to get a spare key made?

Thanks,
    ajl1000
  • Options
    Tough search but found references to 25.00??? Sounds a little high but plausible.
  • Options
    kchanuskchanus Member Posts: 27
    That depends what kind of key you want. I just ordered a remote key cause my brother lost one of the remote keys. It depends the dealer and it costs anywhere between $115 to $149 plus tax. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    need4speed1need4speed1 Member Posts: 28
    I'm thinking about buying a pre-owned 330i w/ sport & prem pkg. After the "free maitenance" schedule is up, what should I expect to pay for servicing my car? I hear that you don't have to change the oil until 15k miles...sounds kinda strange to me!

Also, I've heard that BMW does not recommend rotating the tires on a 330. Is this true? I would think that this would severely reduce the life of the tires, given the amount of negative camber these cars have. How are they rotated if the tread pattern is directional and the F & R tires are different sizes?
  • Options
    topspin627topspin627 Member Posts: 67
    As far as I know, you wouldn't rotate the tires if you have the sport package because the front and rear are different sizes. Without SP I would think rotating tires would be the norm.
  • Options
    Put a 330i & 330ci next to each other (espically a none SP 330i & 330ci), and you can spot plenty of difference between the two as well.

IMO, the reason people think G35/coupe look so much different is because G35 doesn't look very good while the coupe doesn't look bad.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    BMW NA recommends that you do NOT rotate the tires. Sport package has nothing to do with that.
  • Options
    "IMO, the reason people think G35/coupe look so much different is because G35 doesn't look very good while the coupe doesn't look bad."

Yeah...I think you hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    looks MUCH better than the sedan, just about perfect with windows tinted, IMHO, and the size must have something to do with it. I think 3 series is just too small to look good in sedan form factor (4 doors are just too many). I turn my head automatically whenever I spot the coupe. BTW, the 5 series sedan does look very good.
  • Options
    But there hasn't been one day that I've been sorry that I had 4 doors, asthetics aside.
    Like dave330i said, the G35 sedan doesn't really look very good, whereas the coupe looks pretty nice.
    In the 3 series, you definitely can't say the sedan looks bad, in fact I think it looks damn nice.....it's just that the coupe looks so perfect!
  • Options
    chaaaossschaaaosss Member Posts: 22
    I'd just like to say that I like the coupes for one simple, embarassing reason: the rear. That damn orange stripe across the back (yes I know it doesn't go all the way across but it might as well) is the most hideous thing I've ever seen. I've seen it with clears and it look seven worse, IMHO.

The 2003 Coupes are just so classy. The shape of the cars just look more curvy and more daring. And the sport package with the factory clears just completely separates the coupes and the sedans. Hands down, I'm so in love with the coupe even though, granted... I wish I had four doors and a back seat someone could fit into.
  • Options
    chashoangchashoang Member Posts: 19
    first of all i like to give a shout out to shipo/div2/and kd shap for always taking the time to answer and research everyones problems...

with that said my car was in for some cleaning when the dealer decided to change the oil at 11,000 miles even though the indicator had 2700 miles to go for the oil change. No problem there. However, when they reset the switch, the inspection 1 light came up at 15,500 to the first inspection.....I though inspect. 1 came at around 15,000 miles give and take...by the way the dealer has it set, inpect 1 will be at 27,000 miles give and take. The service advisor said it was right....does this make sense?????

thanks all
    L8's, chas
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    You need to contact the dealer and get some information. When I spoke to my dealer about bringing my car in for an early service, they said they would change the oil. No charge, of course. I decided to wait until 15,000 miles, which should come up around June.

What my dealer had told me was even if they change the oil early you should bring it in at 15K for the service that is due at that mileage. You have to talk to your dealer and find out what the story is and if they did the 15K service at 12K. If they didn't you have to get the 15K service done. After you get the service your dealer should re-reset the indicator.
  • Options
    pobrianpobrian Member Posts: 9
    I received no response on the 5-series boards, so let me try you guys...

I recently bought a set of used rims off a 2000 (non-Sport) 540i. The rims came with the center bmw-insignia caps. The caps clearly fit the rim, but won't seem to "snap" into place. Anyone have any experience with getting these on?

Thanks
  • Options
    chashoangchashoang Member Posts: 19
    kdshapiro: thanks for your input. i believe the service guy said that the only thing that was done was the oil change and microfilter. That is the only thing also noted on my service copy. I'm not aware if they did any other stuff on inspect. 1 but if they did, are they suppose to list what they checked? or is it just assumed they checked all the other stuff and don't have to list it if they don't have to change or replace anything? Boy, that was a serious run on sentence!
    thanks
  • Options
    You get two doors free with the sedan - how can you go wrong with that :o) Frankly, there are a few cosmetic differences but they are so minor that the overall effect is not significant. I sat in both and the sedan felt more comfortable. The coupe's windshield is a little steeper and it takes away headroom. I did not like its long doors either. In addition, you have great visibility to your immediate left but not much to your left rear, which forms a blind spot. The sedan's B pillar isn't nearly that far back and you can see well to your left rear through the rear window.
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Approx. 1 month ago, I posted that I had sold my 3 series and purchased a new G35 sedan. Some of you requested that I stop back in and give you a one month follow up and comparison. As requested here are my thoughts after 1 month with my new G35 sedan as it compares to my previous ’01 325ia sedan. For background, let me state that I love bimmers and have owned both a ’00 Z3 5sp and a ’01 325ia w/sp, pp, step & leather. It was time for a change and for me after exhaustive research, I chose a 2003.5 G35 sedan. Bear in mind that all the criteria for this comparison are based on the following:
    Automatic, leather, CD changer, xenon, moonroof, sport package & premium package. Interestingly enough, this car actually compares itself better to the 530i than the 3 series. First the objective comparison:

HP/TQ:
    G35= 260@6,000/260@4,800
    330= 225@5,900/214@3,500
    530= 225@5,900/214@3,500

0-60:
    G35= 6.2
    330= 6.7
    530= 6.7

0-100:
    G35= 16.0
    330= 17.44
    530= 18.0

1/4mi.:
    G35= 14.9@96mi/hr
    330= 15.00@95mi/hr
    530= 15.3@93mi/hr

60-0:
    G35= 110’
    330= 129’
    530= n/a

70-0:
    G35= 162’
    330= n/a
    530= 171’

300 ft. Skid pad:
    G35= 0.86g
    330= 0.86g
    530= 0.82g

600 ft Slalom:
    G35= 65.9
    330= 61.9
    530= n/a

C/D:
    G35= .27
    330= .31
    530= .30

Curb weight:
    G35= 3,480
    330= 3,362
    530= 3,646

SAE Volume:
    Front/Rear/Trunk
    G35= 58 cu. Ft/ 47 cu. Ft. / 15cu. Ft.
    330= n/a /n/a / 10.7 cu. Ft.
    530= 51 cu. Ft. / 41 cu. Ft. / 11 cu. Ft.
    Passenger area:
    G35= 101 cu. Ft.
    330= 91 cu. Ft.
    530= 92 Cu. Ft.

Warranty:
    G35= 4/60,000 No maintenance
    330= 4/50,000 Includes maintenance
    530= 4/50,000 Includes maintenance

MSRP Comparably equipped:
    G35= $33,820.00
    330= $40,831.00
    530= $48,530.00

Now for the subjective part. The G35 is in many ways similiar and in many ways it is a clear and intentional departure from the traditional Germanic style car. The interior while many have fussed over it, is quite modern and functional. It does not take long to get used to the switchgear location and it becomes second nature. The leather in the G35 is far softer and more subtle than the 3 series leather and I would put it on a par with the 5 series. I find that the balance of the interior is fresh and well executed. The automatic climate control is frustrating and does not operate any where near as well as the 3 series. The automatic when in manual mode shifts crisply but does not shift as quick, nor is it as intuitive as the 3 series. Exterior looks are obviously subjective, and while I liked the look of the 3 series, to me it was starting to get a little long in the tooth since it was first introduced in 1999. The exterior of the G on the other hand to me was clean and refreshing. The handling while it is very linear, is a little softer than and not as telepathic as the 3 series. The engine in the G35 is an absolute beast!! While it may not be as buttery smooth as the BMW inline 6, it is one torquey strong pulling thumper. For $7,000-15,000 less this car is a tremendous value in the sport sedan market.
    I see this as good for BMW and good for the consumer. Competition strengthens the entire breed. Remember I like BMW and have nothing bad to say about their cars. The subjective portion is clearly just my opinion. The objective portions are facts taken directly from sites like this and other nationally know automotive publications. I appreciate all the support this board has given me over the years, and to this day, I believe this to be the most civil and informative forum on the internet and I have monitored a bunch of them. I will continue to monitor and drop in if you guys don’t mind just to keep up on what’s going on.
    Remember: Competition is good for the entire breed. We are all extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to drive some of the best cars in the world. Drive what you love and love what you drive!
    PS: Sorry for the length of the post.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    twoof1... Where did you do all of your track testing to come up with all the performance figures? Must have been pretty expensive and time consuming. (Just kidding. Since you are quoting from published reports, which source and what date? There are a ton of published performance figures. Are the above numbers for cars with automatic transmissions? Are they for cars with Sport Package? Hope you aren't quoting from a plethora of published test reports. Do to methodology and the car used, you should try to stick to reporting complete results from each separate source. They each tested different cars, on different tracks, with different drivers, etc. Best comparison data comes from comparison tests where both cars were tested on same day by same driver.)
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    twoof1... You should look back at some recent published comparison tests by R&T, MT, and C&D that compared both G35 and 3 Series. 3 Series has come off quite favorably. Most recent C&D comparison test had G35 finishing poorly in around 4th place; 330i finished much higher. R&T's 11-car comparison from some time ago had G35 win due to price but 330i win on the non-price data.
  • Options
    dusterbusterdusterbuster Member Posts: 23
    thanks for the update. it's good to read informal comparisons between cars. the G35 is a very nice car, and if i remember correctly, it came out quite favorably in MT's comparison with the 330i. i just wish the G35 sedan had a folding rear seat! it may seem like small issue, but it's one of the reasons why i've decided to order a 330i. and i certainly agree that competition is great for the consumer. i'm guessing the G35 is one of the reasons why BMW has decided to come out with the Performance Package for the 330i, which is what i've ordered. thanks inifiniti!
  • Options
    Don't get your hackles up. I know what an ardent supporter you are of the BMW line. This is not a debate so I won't take the bait and respond. I don't play the "mine is bigger than yours" game. I was asked to come back and post a follow up with my review and comparison and that's what I did.
    All my objective information regarding performance for a particular comparison i.e. 0-60 came from a common source, and wherever possible from a common review. If the information was not available from that source, I left it n/a to try to keep the information as valid as possible. I understand the cross contamination that you get when you start to mix various performance specifications from a variety of sources. The non performance specifications came from a variety of sources. This is but a short summary of the objective data collected from the following sources: Road & Track, Motor Trend, Car & Driver and Cars Direct.com.
  • Options
    52 in a 35. He was going the opposite way and he came around a corner. He turned the lights on right away, made a U-turn and pulled me over. We had a civil conversation and he said that having my son in the back seat was one more reason for me to get a ticket. No contest - he's just doing his job. This would have never happened if I were driving my car with the hardwired V1 but I had to take my wife's car this morning. I think I am not going to fight it but wondering how cops clock the speed going the opposite way. The ticket has 'Radar' and 'Estimated' checked off. Does the radar basically subtract his speed from the speed it measured to derive my speed?
  • Options
    That was a decent comparo. You're bound to get a beating for it, though :o) I think it was pretty objective and you did mention that the G35's handling is softer. I bought the E46 mostly for its driving dynamics, which are still the best in this segment, not to mention that it has the best manual tranny. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your car.
  • Options
    Bring on the beatings!!
    Please Sir might I have another one Sir?
    Bummer about the ticket. sometimes having a little one will work for you, sometimes against you. It just goes to show that we have to pay to play!
  • Options
    Honestly, I've been incredibly lucky for a few years now, so it was bound to happen. Somehow, though, I envisioned getting nailed breaking the sound barrier on the highway instead of chauffeuring my 13-month old to a music class :o) Ahh, well, I will have to slow down for a few months.

To be fair, riez has a point that even comparos by the same magazine will vary in accuracy due to track temperature, humidity, tires, driver skill, technique employed and many others. But I think we all know that and should not take these numbers at face value. Bottom line is, the G35 and the 330 are very close in terms of performance and it's up to you whether you want to pay a 5-10 grand difference for better driving dynamics, subjective looks, prestige, image, resale value, etc. To some people, driving a car without that BMW image is worth a lot ;o)
  • Options
    Grrr, too bad about the ticket, I have actually found that I have gotten off from a "Sure Thing" ticket because I had kids in the car! Go figure. ;-)

Regarding "Moving Radar", check out the following site, you might find it illuminating (pun intended). ;-)

http://www.astroproducts.net/phantompatrol.htm

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    "Accuracy at 100 MPH target speed, worst case, all factors considered = + 0.6 / - 1.1 MPH" How can you argue with that in court :o) I am glad I'd let off the throttle for the turn - I was doing ~ 60 mph right before that. The V1 would have let me know what was coming well ahead of time if I only had it in the car...
  • Options
    "...if I only had it in the car..."

Been there, done that, got the Tee-Shirt. ;-)

I am now "T" minus two weeks from the three year mark since my last ticket, however, it is more than a little ugly in the four and five year range. Hoping my insurance (which DOUBLED when I moved to NH from NJ) goes down a little bit. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    brave1heart, you mean you got nailed driving your wife's A4? Damn, you should have at least gotten a ticket having fun in your 3er. Oh well, just gotta keep your eyes peeled when the V1 isn't around.

shipo, you mean to tell me that your insurance went UP when you moved out of NJ? WOW!

• Options
    I'd say you're pretty safe for the next two weeks at least. I mean, c'mon - what kind of a cop with any self-esteem whatsoever would pull over a dark green minivan a.k.a The Green Monster and ticket its driver. I gotta get me one of those!! Let me know if you decide to sell it ;o) Three years is a loooong time - I don't think I've ever come anywhere close to that. Good thing my insurance premium was cut by more than half when we moved from Boston to the suburbs. My town is rated in the highest possible group for safety and therefore we get the lowest insurance premiums. Now I know why :o)
  • Options
    My 3er is still a virgin. I'd rather keep it that way. I was pulled over with it once but they let me go saying 'slow down, speed limit is 45 mph and you were doing hell of a lot more" I was beginning to feel invincible - that's when you get nailed.
  • Options
    brave1heart: Don't think having a Minivan makes you immune to speeding tickets:) I see plenty of 'em pulled over by our friends with the silly blue hats.

Glad to hear your 3er is still a virgin (knocking on wood for ya). My liscense was clean (10 years, not too shabby) until October 30, 2002 when I got nailed for going 70 in a 50 on the Cross Bronx at 6:00 PM. The guy picked my shiny red Prelude out of the middle lane while moving with the flow of traffic. I've definitely been driving more on the cautious side (on straightaways) since then.

I have a friend (in CT) who must be out of his mind. He's got a 2001 330Ci Black/Beige Leather, PP, CWP (no SP) with a 5 speed and just over 20K miles on it and wants to try and get rid of it for an Infiniti FX35. I told him he was crazy to get rid of his beautiful BMW for an FX, with an automatic no less. He's getting rid of his car b/c he says in Connecticut, 3ers are about as popular as Camrys and Accords everywhere else and he wants something different.

• Options
    Actually "The Green Monster" (still with the IS300 notch in its belt) will be gone as of this spring. Mrs. Shipo wants (Gasp!) a new minivan, probably going with a T&C Limited, Silver this time. I have tried to talk her into a nice new 525iT via the ED program (we are going to be in Paris again this April), however, as much as she would like it, she doesn't feel that it will be as comfortable for the kids on a long trip.

Given that we are considering a road trip this summer to visit family and friends as far west as Black Hills (Mt. Rushmore area) in SD, she felt that the extra space and the "Built In" DVD A/V system is an absolute requirement. She is probably right, -sigh-!

Best Regards,
    Shipo