Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    My recommendation for your wheel problem... use the non-sport wheels for your winter package and drop brave1heart an email about his 44's for the rest of the year. The 44's are nice looking and VERY easy to clean.
  • imadroneimadrone Member Posts: 33
    There have been several recent posts regarding BMW's possible cessation of production of the 3 Series Sport wagon for 2004. I am pleased to report (per Brent Waler, Internet sales manager at Medford BMW), that BMW has finally confirmed that the 325iT will indeed be available for 2004. Start of production is in September, with deliveries beginning in October.
       Planning mid-October ED with 3 1/2 weeks for scenic break in. Steel blue/gray, SP, HK, 5-sp manual unless 6-sp is an available option. Any additional suggestions are appreciated.
       Thanks,
       Richard
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I saw some mention of an M3 based Sportwagon for 04-05? I don't see why they don't put the bigger motor in the current wagon.
  • poper3poper3 Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody know if you can go back to BMW and have that added to your car??

thanks
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I've looked around the net but can't find any mention of 04 changes to the 325i. I know it's goofy but I really dig those new adaptive lights on the 04 Ci's. So, what's the word on the 04 325i's?
  • bmwgurubmwguru Member Posts: 51
    It depends on how old the vehicle is. There are retro fit kits available for the E46 3 series, E39 5 series, E38 7 series as well as the Z3 and I believe X5. Call your dealer to find out if one is available for your car.
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    To my surprise I ran out of gas last weekend. My guage was about halfway between 1/4 and 0 and my computer still told me I had 43 miles left till empty. I had noticed the car hesitating earlier the day before and about 8 miles before it sputtered out. I believe I had previously ran it lower than that . Could the guage have stuck? Also do the computer and analog guage run off the same input? The only way I could test it would be a re challenge, something my wife would shoot me for. Anyone else experience this? Fortunately a co-worker of mine saw me walking and picked me up in his MB AMG 55 and I put 1 gal in and later she took 18 gal more. ( 20 gallon tank in 02 330).
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "and later she took 18 gal more. ( 20 gallon tank in 02 330). " - mitchs3

Ummm - every published source I can find shows fuel capacity as 16.6 gal. for all 330s.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Thankful for a 21 gal. tank and a reasonably accurate 'Miles To Empty' computer display . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Yesterday a moron in a Tuner-Roni Eclipse(purple, yellow "graphics", tea table wing, and flatulent exhaust tried to keep up with the Club Sport on a decreasing radius exit ramp. Ecilpdude's understeering sled ran way wide and he had to hammer the brakes, narrowly missing the outer guardrail. Drat. Maybe next time.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I guess it is possible, anything is possible, for a gas guage to be off. But I avoid no gas situations by filling the car up when the gauge hits 1/4 tank. The one thing is not possible is for an '02 330i to take 20 gallons though.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    There was a guy with a '97 ti at the autoX last month who pulled in a better time than all but a couple of M cars (all street tires)!! The car was all stock, not even a tea table wing, lol...
    A well-driven ti is often tough to beat on an Aut-X course. One thing you DO NOT want to do is fit super sticky BFG/Hoosier/Kumho track tires on a stock sunroof equipped ti. They WILL roll with a bit of encouragement. It seems the additional weight(@75 lbs.) of the sunroof assembly raises the C/G a significant amount. Couple that with a lack of roll stiffness and tires that grip instead of slide and you wind up with an inverted ti. I had a couple of people tell me I was lifting the inside rear wheel running through Grant's Tomb at Memphis Motorsport Park, but I never noticed anything unusual. So, how's the 3er running? Ms. Div is dropping hints that she'd like an xi and the local dealer has a couple they'd like to move. I'd prefer a 330i Performance Package, but she wants the AWD for winter driving. I told her an EVO or STI would be perfect for her but she saw through that ruse right away...;)
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    What soaps do you use to wash your bimmer? What about waxing - products and frequency? Thanks for the info in advance.

fo
    Well I stopped by the BMW dealer (after calling ahead) this weekend. I wanted to try on a 325i manual. This dealer had one manual. A base one at that.

First problem - the base model's seats don't offer much in the way of customizing or support. A later trip in a sports/premium package 325i would reveal one can find a comfortable position in a 325i - just not the base one.

So I take off and the salesguy is very smooth. He understands my desire to feel the car where God intended - on corners, curves and switchbacks. Oh my this thing is nice (the sports packaged car is even nicer later). I hate all the car magazine cliches but they're right on the money. Point it, hit the gas and this thing follows that imaginary line perfectly.

After a really nice 10 mile or so jaunt we return to the dealership. I love the way the car handles but the power and the seating just didn't feel right.

The salesman talks me into driving a loaded 325i with steptronic. He insists the steptronic is just like a manual. I think he may need some therapy. The guy even plays dumb when I mention the SMG (um, the M3 does have an SMG right?) and say that's the only option over a normal manual i'd take.

Anyway the loaded 325i alleviates my driving position issues but the car's underpowered. No matter where I keep it in the powerband it doesn't feel as explosive as I want from a car that will cost me over 30k.

I left liking everything about the 325i except the power. After test driving a G35 manual, max manual, jetta gli and numerous other cars this weekend it's clear to me I need to try a 330i manual. Should I call back that same poor salesman - I don't want to bug him too much? I stopped at another bmw dealership and they lacked any manual 330i's. That dealer claims a 330ci will be coming in next week. Still not sure that the ci and i will feel the same but I'll give it a shot.

Sum up: 325i with premium, performance package is comfy, stylish, great handler with the sexiest lines of any car around (I seriously love the look of the bmw 3 series). Just not enough power - heck even a crappy, poorly built Jetta GLI with a six speed and 200/200 V6 feels more lively.
    Even if you don't want to acquire the 330i, 325i or any BMW, I would test drive the 330i manual. This will give you some baseline as to the feeling and difference in power between the two models for future comparison. Not that the 2.5L is a slouch, but the 3L *DOES* make a bit of difference.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=- 757&e=1&u=/nm/20030512/od_nm/life_thailand_car_dc

Official Trapped in Car After Computer Fails
    Mon May 12, 9:43 AM ET

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Security guards smashed their way into an official limousine with sledgehammers on Monday to rescue Thailand's finance minister after his car's computer failed.

Suchart Jaovisidha and his driver were trapped inside the BMW for more than 10 minutes before guards broke a window. All doors and windows had locked automatically when the computer crashed, and the air-conditioning stopped, officials said.
  • cpo_bmw2002cpo_bmw2002 Member Posts: 3
    I got a certified 2002 BMW couple of weeks back. When I took the car out in the morning the engine stalled after the car moved about 100 feet or so. I had to start the engine again. This occured 4 times so far. This happens when I take the car out in the morning . by the way I live in NJ. Outside temparature must have been in 50's when I started the car. Anyone has any ideas on why this must be happening.
    Check out http://carcareonline.com/ ; Most everyone eventually develops an individual cleaning/waxing regimen which suits their time constraints as well as their personal level of compulsive behavior. For example, I use products from BMW, Griots, Leathermaster, Lexol, Meguiars, P21S, Sonax, 3M, Wurth, and Zymol. Others have joined the International Church of Zaino. If you want to stick with one product line, I'd look at the BMW, Meguiars, P21S, or 3M products.
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Geez - how do I describe this? When driving along, smiling of course!, there is something clunking in the steering wheel. At first I thought my fiancee's big key chain was hitting the dash but that's not the case. Nothing seems to be loose and clunking on the exterior but it seems like the sound is coming from right there. I can reproduce the sound when driving and shimmying the steering wheel back & forth - the front end doesn't wobble at all but there's a little play in steering wheel now. Any ideas? Oh yeah - only 1100 miles! I'm gonna take it in but need a loaner so my appointment will prob be in a few days. Is it OK to drive - will it worsen and suddenly lose control? I know, prob over reacting but still in the back of my mind. Any thoughts as to what to do?

thanks
    fo
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    I have a 2004 325 ci convertible with almost every option except navigation coming in couple of weeks... a lot of pepole told me to go to the 330, but from my perspective driving habits outdo a little extra power anyday, so anyways, i've not been able to figure out what is different in the 2004 over the 2003 except for the bi xenon option which my car has... specially considering the invoice and msrp have gone up about a few hundred $ over 2003....

i am sure somebody has already talked about this in the thousands of messages, but i've no physical capacity to read 1200 pages of messages :)
    Most people that test-drive the 3-series don’t get a chance to rev up the car and drive it in the right side of the tach for a while. This is where the 325 really shines. The 330 is considerably faster but the thing is that both cars are so smooth and linear that they may not feel as fast as a car with a peakier torque curve that glues you to the seat for a brief moment. A lot depends on what you need the car for - if your idea is to win every stop light race, the 325 is not for you. If you want a balanced car with great handling potential, the 325 is just right.

Poke around Turner's website below to find out about their winning Turner Motorsports World Challenge 325i (also featured in the latest C&D issue) -

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/index_racing.asp
    I'm sorry but my idea of fun is too keep the engine's power ready to rumble in corners and ready for passing at a moment's notice. I kept the tach hovering around 4k RPM and felt the car was quite bland and pretty much matched my boring Jetta 1.8T.

Stoplight drag racing? No. The ability to explode out of a corner or the ability to slingshot past a slower moving car on an incline, that's what I want. When I slow for a 90 degree corner and take it at say 35-45 I want to blast off from there and hit 70 in a flash.

I can do this with several of the cars I drove this past weekend. All were lesser cars as far as handling and style but not for engine performance. The 330i hopefully will remedy that situation. :)
    The 325i is running great. I am planning on keeping it till I drive it into the ground. The mods wish list keeps getting longer, though - hopefully doing well at the next couple of autoX events will stop me from buying sway bars, Bilstein shocks, H&R springs, SSK, SO3 tires, lightweight wheels and more all at once :o)
    My cousin has a 2002 Jetta 1.8T (180 HP), which I've driven quite a bit. I had a '97 Jetta VR6 and a '90 Jetta GL before that and I am partial to Jettas. Dig out some numbers from C&D - the 1.8T and 325i are close in terms of acceleration with a slight advantage going to the 325i (I think it was 19.9 0-100 vs. 20.1 for the 1.8T). However, the 325i with sport package handles so much better that you will easily have a 5-10 mph faster exit speed off any corner over the 1.8T. The 1.8T feels faster once the turbo kicks in, esp. because the 325i is much smoother and linear. I've never in the 43K miles that I've owned the car felt that it is lacking punch for passing...
    As I pointed out all the other cars i drove last weekend were inferior to the 3 series in cornering. The handling's sublime. But, the huge caveat, on a steep grade or in a need-to-pass situation the 325i won't cut it for me personally. The torque's not there. I don't want to blow 30k on a 34k car that isn't that much more powerful than my current car. Handling prowess is awesome, but I'm not going to compromise.

Considering some of the mountains i entered last weekend i'd say the 325i could pull and eventually pass someone doing 50 up the hill. But it's not the sort of lightning response I want from my next car. If i'm in a car built in a 2003 and I drop a gear or two at 60 as I approach a slower car I want to launch forward, whip around the pedestrian driver and slip back into my lane.

I did this with a corpulent 6 speed 04 max. And with a GLI Jetta (200 hp, 200 lb-ft) I also did this. Neither car really appeals to me (I can't imagine owning another VW after how bad this one's been) and that's why i'm still awaiting that call regarding a 330i with manual.

i haven't given up on bmw yet. just not willing to pay any amount over 23k for a new 325i. It's not enough car for the money.
  • joes230joes230 Member Posts: 94
    You reported the 2nd 325i you test drove was an automatic. Many who have driven the various e46 models report the automatic transmission seems to sap a lot of the 325i's pep. A manual would probably be a lot better for that car.

A 330i would feel considerably faster, esp if the 5 or 6-speed.

How did you like the G35? It has a lot more power than a 325i at about the same price. I've driven one extensively, and while I like my 330i SP 5-speed better, the G35 handles well and has lots of power.
    How did you like the G35? It has a lot more power than a 325i at about the same price. I've driven one extensively, and while I like my 330i SP 5-speed better, the G35 handles well and has lots of power.

i've driven the auto equipped g35 before and enjoyed it. as for the manual one I had a horrible experience with a dealership that only allows a simple freeway route. I made it abundantly clear that i wanted to test drive the car on twists, get the true feel for the car as I did in the bmw. the response was "you felt it on the freeway." very disappointing. I'm trying to line up another test at a different dealership. :(
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    and I would estimate it delivers about 90 percent of the acceleration of my 01 Formula (310-hp LS1). The five-speed took some getting used to (reverse is in a "different" location and I was a little nervous about hitting reverse instead of first!) but the acceleration was very strong from standing start to top-gear. I always lug it down to about 35 or 40 mph in fifth and then punch it to see how it responds... 330i was pretty good. Torque band is ultra-wide... really no comparison to the 325 engine. You could just about stick it in 4th and drive it like that all day. Funny thing is, they both have the same size piston... 2.5 has a much shorter stroke, ergo, peakier performance. The 04 330Ci and March production and later 330i now have a 6-speed manual. Everything is the same except it has an overdrive now. 5th was and is actually 1:1. 6th gear just drops the revs on the 75+ mph highway drives. Probably saves a little gas, too, although the EPA numbers didn't change.
    ksoman... The 04 coupes and convertibles have a new front end... headlights, lower facia, hood, etc. They also have bi-level LED tail/brake lights and the climate control panel has been tweaked/simplified. I just returned from my dealer last night (traded my 01 Formula for a special order 04 330Ci) and he just got in the 04 coupe and convertible books. You might check with your dealer... he should have them by now too. Now I just have to make the decision on what color I want.....
    Thanks for the info white 6.

The what color I want deal almost killed me... my wife, who will be the primary driver could not decide for weeks and many dealers gave up, one of them who stuck with me finally got the deal and she's getting the exact car she wants.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I feel your pain on the color thing. Last week my wife ordered a new Dodge Grand Caravan ES with the "Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat" paint, and not two days later she asked me to call the dealership and lean on them to change the color to "Butane Blue Pearl Coat". While the folks at the dealership were very nice, they simply laughed at me and said, "Sorry, it's already scheduled for production, and unlike lower volume manufacturers like BMW, we cannot change options once the order is in." So, she spent all weekend convincing herself that the Silver was the better color. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jpierce26jpierce26 Member Posts: 60
    Guys,

I was very sure of myself last week with buying the 325XI. Matter of fact I have one on order:

325XI Steel Blue, SP, CWP, PP, NAV, Xenon, and HK upgrade.

But listening to the stories about the 330, it is making me think about changing my order. Production does not start for 1 more week, I think I could change it right?

Jeff
  • rfredarfreda Member Posts: 15
    change it to a 330 and buy a good set of snows for the winter, you won't regret it.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    Someone would actually change an order on a car based on the opinion of an unknown person from an anonymous message board. Wow.
  • ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    The way I understand the allocations, you can change everything on the car except the fact that it's a 325xi. To go to a 330i, you'll probably have to move to the next available 330i in the dealer's allocation.
    I like the direction BMW is going with their designs. I really like the "angel eyes" headlights. Maybe the 3er will get them also.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    I do not have a good answer for you except to say that the sound and the play in the wheel is abnormal. There should be zero play in the steering wheel. Sorry to hear about that. Very unsual situation for a new bimmer.

Maybe shipo will chime in and tell you what is wrong.

Drop by sometime and we will lay some rubber out on B. Spdwy or Holcombe.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    3 series replacement will have the "angel eyes" but I think the replacement is still a good 2 years off. Have seen some spy photos...basically looks like a smaller version of the upcoming 5 series. The 3 will be taken up a bit in size, more like the current 5 series, and the 1 series will be a bit smaller than the current 3. Personally, I think the 3 series is plenty big enough now...the car is great in part because it's nimble. BMW no doubt wants to "broaden the appeal" and make it more of a boulevard cruiser, which is a mistake imo. 3 series should always have an extra edge.
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Member Posts: 29
    I drive a 330i 6SP but it is not fully broken in yet. Because of higher gearing in the 325i I do not believe there is too much difference between both cars acceleration at starting and lower speeds. You also have to remember that both these cars do not come into their own until they are broken in with some miles. I notice a big difference with my car after only 800 miles. I can tell you first hand that the 330i leaves little to be desired with acceleration through the gears. I am really impressed with 3rd gear at about the 35 to 55 MPH range. The 325i at about $5000 less is no slouch either. Additionally, Braveheart is right about experiencing the other side of the tach.

I am so happy I bought my car and I am becoming more and more pleased with it. My only desire might be a 3.07 rear to go with the 3L and 6 SP. You can get this with the Performance package plus 10HP if your willing to put up with the upolstery and the $ tag.

On straight line acceleration, they are not Mustang or Corvette muscle cars but the 3 series delivers so much more on a more civilized level.
    The color the wife wanted finally really turned out to be the color BMW decided to make new for 2004... mystic blue with sand interior, what a fine looking car this is...

The minor physical changes to the 2004 make it look all the more appealing and what a fine color... hey wait, that's subjective and repetitive...

ksso
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    and ordered my 04 330Ci yesterday. Black/black, sport, step... and nothing else. Had to drive 160 miles (Oklahoma City to Wichita Falls, Texas) to get a decent deal, though. Local dealer is a real mess. Pistacco BMW in Wichita Falls (salesman Ralph Spitsnaugle) has been absolutely terrific so far. They have come through on everything promised. Looks like my car won't be scheduled for production until the week of the 22nd in June. Just missed by one day being able to alter a May 25th week scheduled production car! Looks like they are only going to produce convertibles for the first couple of weeks in June, so the best coupe production date is late in June. Delivery around the first of August. Oh well, anticipation is a big part of the fun!
    I'm beginning to think people don't comprehend very well.

Additionally, Braveheart is right about experiencing the other side of the tach.

On my test drive of the 325i I kept the tach in the 4k range. It was no more powerful than a 20k jetta turbo (180/164). There was little punch in the car. No ability to scoot if the need arose. Quite simply the car moved smoothly but never with the sort of neck-snapping, pull-up-anchor and explode acceleration I would expect of any car with a price tag over 25k. Remember this is not about off-the-line acceleration but 30-70, or 50-80 acceleration. I'm talking about hitting a hole in traffic or rounding a corner and taking off. Both 325is, even with the tach over 4k didn't exhibit any tendency to pull strongly from 2nd or 3rd. You guys may be satisfied with the that feeling but for me, I live that daily with a horrible VW and I want to move up in handling and performance, not just handling.

Luckily, most people who own the 330i claim it's a night and day difference. Actually I'm supposed to drive another G35 sedan today and the salesguy said I could take his personal 330i out for a comparison if it'd help convince me to buy a G from him. LOL
    Hmm. The Infinti sales-person has a 330i. Now that is rich. :)
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Let us know the results of your comparison test.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    FWIW, I am very fond of the extra torque offered by the 3.0 liter mill vs. the 2.5. That said, BMW partially offsets the extra torque with taller gearing on the standard 3.0 liter models, then they turn right around and give some of it back with the Performance Package (ZPP) version.

Were I in your shoes, I would hunt down a 330i with the ZPP and take it for a spin, I am positive that you will LOVE it. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I found it hilarious too. His offer struck me as odd though, giving me a shot to try the competition and it's his car. Guess he's pretty certain of the G. Or maybe he just figures I'll figure out what I like anyway, so why not speed up the process.
  • joes230joes230 Member Posts: 94
    Yes, please let us know how this went. BTW based on extensively driving both cars, the G35 traction control and VDC/DSC seems more intrusive than on the 330i. Depending on how rigorous your test drive is, I'd suggest you disable traction control (but not VDC) by briefly pressing the button left of the steering wheel under the dash.

Also unlike the 330i which has no power spike in the rpm band (just smooth power), the G35 has a noticeable power surge at about 4500 rpm. Make sure you hit this point during your test drive.

If you test drive an automatic G35, make sure you try manumatic shifting. Otherwise at part throttle, the G35 auto tranny upshifts aggressively which sometimes makes it feel slower than it really is.

I like my 330i SP 5-speed better, but the G35 has great power and chassis dynamics.

Remember the G35 sedan is available with a sport option. Unlike the 330i SP, it includes slightly revised spring rates and shock valving, plus summer performance tires (albeit the same size as non-sport).

However I think the base, non-sport G35 has a great suspension. The Goodyear RS-A summer performance tires on the sport version had noticeably more road noise compared to the non-sport Bridgestone EL42 or GS-A all-season tires.

Compared to my 330i SP, the non-sport G35 was quieter and had less road noise. However the sport G35 was a little noisier. Again this can vary depending on road texture in your area.

Make a note of what tires the G35 has, and whether it's a sport or non-sport version.
  • biggeststickbiggeststick Member Posts: 5
    I keep hearing that BMW's aren't very reliable. Is this true? Or this this the propaganda of anti-Bimmer people. I am in the market for one, but am constantly being told that Infiniti and Lexus are 1) Much more reliable, 2)Have better amenities, and 3)Have narrowed the performance gap so much that it is indistinguishable to even sophisticated drivers. Any thoughts? I've always wanted a Bimmer, but I do not buy badges. Thanks for your input.

Biggest Stick
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    biggerstick,
    I just took delivery of my 2003 325i and at the 700 mile mark, the coolant temp. sensor overloaded while I was driving. And because I did not know that it was the sensor, I had to stop and have the car towed back to the dealer. They had to special order the part and the whole thing took 3 days to resolve. While I was at the dealer, one of the service advisor told me that it was not their record -- some guy had to bring his BMW back 4 hours after. And another service advisor said his new BMW experienced Service Engine Soon Light after two days of ownership.
    Now does this mean they are less reliable than Infiniti or Lexus? Can't tell. I'm sure if you read their boards, they probably have reliability issues as well. I am equally sure that there are thousands of BMWs out there without any problems. My last car, 99 Nissan Max., had lots of problems as well.
    But for me, the bottom line is that I love BMW driving experience and if I have to take it to the dealer more than usual, so be it. At least most of the problems are covered under warranty.
    I've had my 330i for 15 months. Last trip to the dealer June 2002. It is going in for it's first service.

Knew a person who bought a Honda. Drove it off the dealers' lot, had a failure in the car in the first five miles, crashed said car. (Driver was unhurt). Said car almost totalled. At least your BMW did not cause you to crash the car.

Granted all one off events, but they all break, some sooner than others.
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    kdshapiro,

I agree that all cars will have some things go wrong, no matter what the make. And your experience demonstrates that for every car like mine, there is one like yours -- trouble-free. I guess that was the point I was hoping to get across.

At least I did not crash and the towing/repair was free. And hopefully, this is the only thing that goes wrong.

But the driving experience outweighs any potential problem I might have.