Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    run from Sears Auto Service! Your best bet would be to check and see if TireRack.com has any recommended installers in your area. This is what I did several years ago and now use this installer exclusively. He is a small, privately-owned shop with up-to-date equipment and, more importantly, gives a damn about me and my car!
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    abcnyc... If you can afford it, you'll never go wrong replacing all four tires simultaneously.

I'm betting I'm in the minority here, but if my car is still under warranty, I prefer to have the work done by the dealer. In this case because it is also prudent to have a 4-wheel alignment done at 18,000 miles. I'm not a fan of replacing tires without an alignment, and there is no point in doing just 2-wheel alignment. (And it is a hassle to bring the car back in so soon to replace the other 2 tires.)

You might just contact the dealer to see their price. You might be surprised how close they can come. Besides the 4-wheel alignment, tell the service writer to have the mechanic look at the brakes, etc. Never hurts to have 'em take a look at things while the tires are off. Peace of mind and they might see something.

I like the Continental ContiSportContact 2s. I recently put a set on my 540i6. Did all 4 and with a 4-wheel alignment. Did it thru my local BMW dealer. I did check some other places in town. Dealer's prices wasn't too much higher. (Did same thru BMW dealer with my wife's 323ia, but only put back on all-season OEM Continental ContiTouringContacts.)

There are a ton of great high performance tires out there. Get what fits your price range and your car.
  • ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
    I agree with having the alignment done by a dealer. Half the time regular auto mechanics screw it up.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Despite all the hype, my experience in past life when I carpooled with 3 guys all driving Nissan's was nothing short of startlingly BAD.... I find it very very hard to gulp down the recent craze over their designs... yes the new cars look fabulous, but but I cant force myself to own one.

Despite all the odds of FWD being stacked against it, TSX is still a fairly sharp shooter... as one of the earlier reviewers on Edmunds pointed out, it really goes where you point it.

My personal favorite shifter has been the honda s2000, specially the revised one they put on the 2002's and later.

ksso
    I just came back from the BMW dealership cuz wife's car needed a little quick cleaning due to my long absence from town.... our salesman caught up on me and told me they are still cutting discount deals on the 5's close to the earlier official rebates (he knows how much I want to replace my s type with 5....). Maybe they still are doing great deals on left over 2003 3's?

Here's also why sometimes it is worth going with a brand like BMW (and similar)... but individual experiences may vary.... he introduced me to a friend of his who sells Plasma screen and Screen Projection TV's upto 30% cheaper than regular market prices... that's about 3000 bux in saving for being a friendly customer.

ksso
  • abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    Thanks to all for the inputs. I hadn't thought about getting a wheel alignment, but it makes sense. I'll check the dealerships on the cost for tire installation. The Tirerack website had some recommended installers that range from $15 to $25 per tire.

My car is still under warranty. Does that cover getting the wheel alignment ?

The stock ContiSport Contacts got pretty bad reviews (performance, treadwear, etc.) from Tirerack. Now I'm comparing summer performance tires vs. the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all-season performance). The Michelins are very expensive, but if they last longer it may balance out the costs. I already a set of winter tires and wheels, so I really don't care about the all-season traction of the Michelins, but they should last longer than the summer tires (20% to 80% more according to Tirerack/UTQG ratings).
    abcnyc... Are you talking ContiSportContacts or ContiSportContact 2s? I have the latter (2s) on my 540i and am quite pleased. The 1s supposedly didn't last long, though Porsche and others used them as OEM tires. (The 2s are made in Germany, if that makes any difference to anyone.)
    riez - I have the stock ContiSportContact 1's. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Bridgestone Potenza RE750's. I decided not to pursue the performance all-season Michelins. I already have winter tires and I don't want to compromise the performance for the balance of the year.
  • scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    that the contis are not awful, but that they are simply average ZR rated summer tires (the conti all-seasons, by contrast, are absolutely miserable as are most all-seasons). The Michelin Sport Pilots are just far better tires than the Contis, but they are more expensive.

I've heard good things about the Bridgestone RE750s. I was considering the Brudgestone S-03s at one point when I looked at YR-rated shoes.

By the way, I think I made a mistake on Michelin SP pricing - I was thinking of SPs for the M3, which are like $270 front, $300 rear for 18s and like $350 front, $400 rear for 19s. The 17s are considerably less pricey.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    I just wanted to let everybody here know that I got engaged 2 weeks ago today in Aruba.

During this very happy n(and hectic) time in my life I can still think about cars:)

Wheels: The type 44 wheels on the 325Ci Sp equipped cars (and the 328i/Ci before them) are some of my favorite wheels on the road. When I first saw BMW was replacing them on the '04 model coupes I wasn't so thrilled. The other day I got a look at a gleaming new 325Ci SP with the new 5 spoke wheels! They're beautiful!

Speaking of beautiful, that same 325Ci I saw was Sapphire Black Metallic... A great color for the 3! It is truly magnificent.

For those of you in the Boston area (brave1heart & shipo), I found a marvelous exit ramp! If anybody gets a chance, check out the ramp from I-290 that takes you onto I-495. It is a doozy, but none-the-less lots of fun!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    What does it cost to stay at the Hotel Uhland in Munich?
  • dannyledannyle Member Posts: 43
    hi
    does anyone knows when pricing for 2004 325I becomes available ? I only see pricing for the coupes.

thanks in advance
  • mr323mr323 Member Posts: 30
    Hi All!

At the Hotel Uhland we paid E127 per night for 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids), taxes and breakfast included. I expect it will be significantly higher during Oktoberfest, because the hotel is quite convenient to the fairgrounds (or whatever one would call the place).

Best wishes,

Ed
    With the rising Euro and the way BMW uses hedging to protect their price point and based on the price change in the other line up, expect a bump of about 7-900 US$.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    There is a Euro Delivery message board where you can probably get all kinds of info for BMW Euro Deliver.

-Paul
  • 93trooper93trooper Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where I can get a list of items that are completed on the 15,000 mile check up. I'm getting close and I wanted to make sure that the dealer is checking everything they are supposed to. Thanks

Paul
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    All service schedules are described in the Service Booklet which you should have received with the car.
    93trooper... Do you mean Oil Service or Schedule 1 service? As div2 indicated, your Warranty & Service booklet lists the maintenance schedule. Details what is done for Oil Service, Schedule 1, and Schedule 2. These are indicated by the service interval indicator.

Ordinarily, maintenance goes Oil Service (approx 15K), Schedule 1 (approx 30K), Oil Serive (approx 45K), and Schedule 2 (approx 60k). Repeat. If you don't drive enough, you should change the oil at least annually.

You also have to change brake fluid every two years. Believe E46 recommends coolant every 4 years (versus 3 years for E39 5 Series). And O2 sensor every 1ooK.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I understand that SMG will be an option that is more widely available in 04. Do you think that it is here to stay? I assume that the 0-60 times of SMG will best the step's times and be same as stick. That may make it a great alternative for those who want the performance but live in heavy stop and go traffic areas. Also, I understand that the new generation is a bit smoother in "auto" mode. Any thoughts, comments?
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Actually, the SMG transmission in the M3 was tested by several of the auto magazines as slower (0-60) than the stick. Because the shifts are done faster with SMG than a human could do, I would guess the cause would have to do with the ability to launch the manual transmission more agressively with a clutch dump at higher revs.

I also beleive SMG would be a nice alternative to the step. However, my bet would be that it will reduce sales of the manual transmissioned cars more than it will reduce sales of the step (assuming the SMG option is still priced similar to that of the SMG in the M3). For me, give me a clutch (at no extra cost) and please don't ever take it away.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    If BMW can figure out the programming to make an SMG smooth as glass, I'm in. In the meantime, no third pedals for me in my daily driver.
  • wr7rwr7r Member Posts: 6
    I was finally able to see what my VIN is for my car, and I was wondering what the VIN tells you about the car. I know that I have seen it in this discussion before, but I can not find it.
    I noticed that the maintenance schedule only specifies replacing the transmission fluid for the M3 but not the 325 or 330 at Inspection II. When does the transmission fluid get changed for the non-M3's ? There is an ATF service every 100,000 miles, but what about the manual transmissions ?
    Seems like Tech Advisor in Roundel (BMW CCA) and Bimmer magazines, as well as lots of letters from owners, indicate changing manual transmission fluid and differential fluid every 30,000 miles is appropriate. Tech advisor in current issue of Roundel discusses the fallacy of "lifetime" fill transmissions. Don't buy it.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    covered in any of the Service Intervals?

-Paul
  • memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    My sales guy told me today that I cannot order a 330i 6 speed without ZHP. BMWUSA says that 6 speed is standard for the 330i for 2003 (I guess later productions). Does anyone one know what kind of trannny options are available now for a 2003 330i, sept production. I know 330 MY 04 coupe and convertible have the 6 speed.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    memphis, 6 speed, smg and steptronic for 2004.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    3 Series
    All 3 Series Models
    * 6-Speed SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) Transmission will be available on most
    rear-wheel-drive 3 Series, when combined with the Sport Package as of 10/03 production. It will
    not be available with all-wheel-drive or the 330i Performance Package.
    * Rain-sensing windshield wipers and automatic headlight control will become standard features
    on the Sedan and Sports Wagon - no longer part of the Premium Package (already standard on
    Coupes and Convertibles).
    * Sirius Satellite Radio is available as an accessory.
    325i and 325i Sports Wagon
    * 5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 119) replaces 7-spoke alloy wheel (Style 96) in the Sport Package
    * Bluetooth wireless hands-free cellular phone system will be available as an accessory, but not
    in combination with BMW Assist.
    325xi and 325xi Sports Wagon
    * 5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 137) replaces 20-spoke alloy wheel (Style 73) in Sport Package
    * Bluetooth wireless hands-free cellular phone system will be available as an accessory, but not
    330i and 330xi
    * Black headlight surrounds and grill will replace titan silver.
    * Lower grill will be a combination of body color and black.
    * 5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 137) replaces 20-spoke alloy wheel (Style 73) in Sport Package
    * 330i Performance Package will be available with the optional 5-speed STEPTRONIC automatic
    transmission including Sport and Manual shift modes (does not include 330xi).
    325i and 330i - Coupe and Convertible (Available since March, 2003)
    * Automatic headlight control standard (formerly optional with Premium Package)
    * Revised front-end design
    * Revised front and rear bumper contours
    * Xenon headlights (low and high beams) now offered in combination with new Adaptive
    feature, which "steers" the headlights into roadway curves
    * Revised taillight technology, incorporating BMW's innovative Adaptive Brakelights
    * Revised wheel designs, both standard and optional
    * Revised exterior colors
    * Revised configuration climate-control panel
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I was thinking about a 02 325Ci. I was wondering if the price of insurance is high on those. I am also thinking about the regular 325i or a Merc. C240.
    kennynmd... Check with your insurance agent. Ask for a quote from you current company. And shop around with some other companies for the best deal. Rates depend on where you live, your driving record, etc. (I'm blessed living in a low cost insurance state and I have USAA. My rates are quite low.)
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Sadly a limited slip diff still isn't available in the 325/330 sports packages :-(
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I use The Hartford as my insurer, and live in a high car insurance city. However the rates on the BMW were quite low for me. I asked why and they said the air bags, crash worthiness and theft deterrants helped make the car lower cost to insure. I have the sedan though and I was told the coupe was higher cost.
    Sadly a limited slip diff still isn't available in the 325/330 sports packages :-(

If they don't offer a LSD on a performance package, why in the blazes would the sports package have one?
  • magbarnmagbarn Member Posts: 35
    I've just about worn out my Conti 1's that came with my M68 wheels on my 330i. I know everyone always trashes on Conti's but I've heard a few good things about your Conti 2's... How are they comapred to the 1's are they smoother and quieter and still handle better? Also, how's the treadwear? The Yoko ES100's are also up on the list as Roundel liked them alot for the money. The S-03's and Pilot Sports are too expensive. The mich PS2 looks promising though.
    There is no LSD for any 3 Series or 5 Series except for the ultra-high performance M versions. This is the one beef I have with my 540i6. Sad not to have LSD. Too bad BMW phased out optional LSD in early-to-mid 1990s with the rise of Traction and Stability control systems.

This is horrible. LSD is a fantastic performance enhancer. TC and SC are no substitute for LSD. In the tuner marker, tons of people swap out their non-LSD BMW differentials for LSD differentials. Quaife and others build great LSDs!
    magbarn... I didn't want to spend upwards of $1,000 or thereabouts for Michelin Pilot Sports or similar tires. Found the ContiSportContact2s a lot less expensive. Think I paid around $165/tire. The 540i6 has staggered tires. The M PSs were very expensive for the bigger rear tires. In my 540i6 I've put about 5,000 miles on my set of 4. So far pleased. Nice performance. Great wet performance. No noise issues. (These replaced Yokohama AVS Decibels. They got really noisy as they wore.)

I've kept the mundane A/S ContiTouringContacts on my wife's 323ia. She got 38,000 miles on the original set that came with the car. She has put on 12,000 miles since then. No complaints. They were dirt cheap but some of the best A/S in this el cheapo price range. Think I paid about $60/tire.
    Check it out. They rave.

"Follow-Up Test: 2003 BMW 330i Performance Package
    The Best Gets Better

By Ed Hellwig
    Date posted: 08-07-2003"
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That article can be accessed via the "Helpful Links" box on the left side of the page.
    My favorite quote:

"It's firm in a way that enthusiasts will savor, but poseurs will grow tired of quickly. There's no bottoming out of any kind, but freeway expansion joints that previously contributed nothing more than a few audible thumps suddenly become annoyingly uncomfortable. Still, it's a small price to pay considering the rewards."
    The reviewers must have soft bottoms because I've never thought of my car as being "annoyingly uncomfortable" on rough pavement.
    If I hadn't slowed down my buddy, he would have put the sways in 1 1/2 hrs instead of the little over 2 hrs that it took us :) I learned a lot and it was fun.

We set both the fronts and the rears to full stiff. Handling is absolutely amazing - I hit a couple of my favorite ramps on my way back home at the max speed that I know they can take and the car was rock solid - it felt like I could tuck on another 3-5 miles at least. The ride is noticeably stiffer and that little wobble that you get at high speed is completely gone. It feels a lot like the E36 M3s that I've driven - buttoned down and very tight. The biggest surprise, however, was the steering feel. It's hard to quantify how much heavier it really is but I'd venture to say that it feels 20-40% heavier than my retro'ed '01 steering and that the tires tramline like crazy now. You get more feedback through the steering wheel, which is great when you're pushing the car hard but even on relatively smooth pavement, you absolutely have to have both hands on the wheel as one hand may not be enough when the car starts following the grooves in the pavement. To be fair, my rears are almost bald and they were tramlining too before we put in the sways, except not nearly as bad. Going over bumps makes you a lot more aware of how much stiffer the car is now. I was going through a parking lot with speed bumps yesterday and I had to slow down almost completely or otherwise the bumps throw you around the car, esp. if you go over them with one tire only. At any rate, it's a small price to pay for a noticeably better handling car. I will probably keep the setting to full stiff both front and rear during the autoX/track season and then set it to full soft off-season. It's the best of both worlds!
    Welcome to my world. I have to switch lanes on the freeway if there's a long swath of uneven pavement; otherwise, my tires tramline so much it looks like I'm a drunk driver.

I had a 28 mm sway on my last car and while it created neutral handling things like speed bumps made the whole car rock. Still wouldn't trade it for the driving characteristics of the pre-sway car...
  • cypressbowlcypressbowl Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Is 71 miles reasonable for an initial odometer reading on a new bmw on the lot? I put a deposit on a new 2003 325xi today. I asked the sales woman about the odometer reading but she said that was normal for unloading and fueling. I noticed that many new owners mentioned their odometers are < 10. Am I getting hoodwinked?

-cheers
  • ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    Normal loading/unloading/fueling leaves you at less than 10 miles. At 71 miles, your car has been test driven, probably a half-dozen times.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The car has probably had a few full-throttle take offs and a little brisk driving, but most likely not driven hard enough to cause problems.

If it bugs you, look for a different car on the lot, or order one and wait a few months.
  • imadroneimadrone Member Posts: 33
    Brave1heart: Thanks for the info. I've just ordered a 2004 325iT for ED 10-17 (Steel blue/gray, manual, H-K, SP.) Had hoped to order the 6-speed manual as an option but dealer said it is not available on the 325s. So, am a bit surprised to see from your post that the 6-sp SMG is optional on the 325. What gives? Any additional information will be most appreciated.

Thanks, Richard
  • cypressbowlcypressbowl Member Posts: 2
    Ryoken: Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

-cheers
    71 seems pretty high in my opinion. But then again, my car still had the plastic and cardboard in it when we found it at the back of the lot.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    could anyone tell me the difference between an 02 and an 03 325Ci. Also the difference between an 01 and 02 330Ci. Thanks
  • evantoddevantodd Member Posts: 11
    this place is full of a bunch of liar

A sales guy told me the '04's would go up 6000 for the 3 series. I checked with another dealer and then told him to stop playing games. He also said the '04's 3 series will not be available till November. Be wary of this dealer. Bunch of liars.