Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• bcchengbccheng Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know any BMW dealers outside CA who also run an online accessory shop? I want to buy a homelink transmitter and avoid state taxes.

The only ones that I can find are circle and pacific, which unfortunately are both in CA.

Thanks in advance.
  • somedaysomeday Member Posts: 14
    I posted this a few weeks ago but got no response so I'll try again.

I saw 2 silver 330 sedans in the sf bay area with the black molding replaced with body color moldings. I had to do a double take because I thought it was a coupe but it had 4 doors. It definately made the sedan more striking. I was wondering if anyone has had this done and what it cost.

I am happy with my 330i but this would make it nearly perfect.

thanks
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    Go with the V1. $400 well spent!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    I test drove a 2003 330xi today. I noticed it had a build date of December 2002 (a fact the salesman confirmed) and was very dirty with rain spots from having sat on the lot for a very long time (it had about 35 mi. on the odometer). There also was no sticker in the window. Any reason I should be concerned about possible future problems due to the fact that it's been sitting on the lot for 9-10 months. Any reason to be concerned by the absence of a sticker in the window? (Car rode, handled and sounded fine on the 20 minute test drive.)
  • lisalisa2lisalisa2 Member Posts: 4
    Hi there...

I have only had my '04 325ci a little under 3 months and it has already been in service 4 times. about a week after i got my car i started to hear a weird sound when i turned off my engine. also, another big problem was that when i put my car in drive after reversing it hesitates to go. it kinda jerks a little and takes a second to take off. this is my 3rd bmw and never had such problems. they say its a new transmission so that abrupt sound is normal for the '04 but who knows. as for the hesitation in the transmission after puttin in drive they say its a programming problem.

Im just wondering if anyone is having problems with their new 2004 bmw's?

thanks so much
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    Circle (http://www.circlebmw.com/) is in New Jersey. Order from them and avoid the sales tax. I purchased the UGDO from them for about $125.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I've had my car ('01 330i) for 500miles now, and it is easily the best car I've had. It has the best blend of sport, luxury and practicality.

It handles brilliantly both on turns and longer trips on the highway. The transmission (manual) while not as crisp as a Honda's, is still much better than other cars I've had.

Some background-- my most recent three cars were all Japanese: '88 Supra, '91 Maxima and '99 Civic Si. All very different:

-Supra: great handling and smooth engine, but felt "big"

-Maxima: really enjoyed the handling and engine in this car, but the tranny had really long throws. Also, Nissan seems to design engines with a very truck-like feel (lots of torque down low, with little top-end)

-Civic Si: great handling car (mostly due to the light weight) and awesome shifter. Torque was pathetic off the line, and the highway ride was tiresome (rpms > 4K while doing 80mph).

The 330i by comparison seems to combine best of the Supra (rwd with a very smooth engine that revs freely and tight handling) with the practicality of the Maxima. And it's getting better gas mileage than all three of my previous cars.

The only issue that I still haven't acclimated to is the flatness of the torque curve and the quietness. Seems like I can accelerate easily in almost any gear and the downside is that I currently have to look down to see which gear I am in.

The other "issue" is that this car seems to be unhappy going slow and in a straight line. It's my perception that the car is generally asking me to drive it harder. Not a bad problem to have :)
  • memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    "The other "issue" is that this car seems to be unhappy going slow and in a straight line. It's my perception that the car is generally asking me to drive it harder. Not a bad problem to have :)"

This is exactly how I feel about my car. When I drive the car aggresively and fast, it behaves very well. When I am trying to shift easily it jerks a bit. I think the engine is designed to be revved hard and the transmission is designed for it.
  • trmichaelstrmichaels Member Posts: 18
    Just took delivery yesterday of a 2004 325 Coupe that I bought via CarsDirect.com (through one of their affiliates, BMW of West Springfield, MA). Here's my impressions of the car and buying experience:

CarsDirect: Smooth as silk. They gave me a price immediately online ($1500 under MSRP, not bad for an 04 Coupe in my opinion), the dealer called the next day, and it took a week to get the car (it had just arrived from Germany)

Dealer: BMW of West Springfield (and also of Boston) treated me courteously and in a way that felt totally satisfactory. Nothing felt "slimy" about the dealership, unlike many I've visited. It was the best car buying experience I've had (this is my 10th vehicle). Easy as pie.

The Specs: It's got all the packages and options except for the HK sound system and navigation. Titanium Silver with black leather interior (automatic).

The exterior: Very classy looking, the '04 325 Coupes kind of look like a blend of the 3 and 5 series in terms of style, I think. (Although I must admit I like the looks of the 4-door as much, if not better). The white lights are a nice touch

The interior: Very well appointed. (My trade was a 2002 Passat GLX, which had a very sumptuous interior, but the BMW looks and feels every bit as striking, if not more so). The Myrtle wood makes a big difference in terms of luxury. The seats are extremely comfortable (esp. when heated!) Sure, back seat entry and comfort is cramped, but I expect that in a coupe. The cabin feels cozy, as if it is wrapped around you.

The ride: Awesome! I test drove both the 325 and 330. Sure, the 330 has more power, but I didn't feel I needed it. The 325 feels plenty powerful enough for me. (Instead of springing the extra seven grand on the 330, I put it into loading up the options on the 325). Cornering, braking, acceleration all top notch. This car is fun to drive, which was my aim!

Gadgets: Adaptive headlights and taillights are a cool innovation. Most of the other toys I've had on various other vehicles, but they're all here in this car. (The only one I can think of that's lacking is HomeLink, and that can be added). Controls are well laid-out and convenient, esp. steering wheel controls for radio and cruise. BMW Assist is pretty neat, and free for the first year.

Stereo: OK, this was the thing I was most worried about, believe it or not. It was the only option the car didn't have, and since I love music, I was afraid I would hate the stock stereo (and upgrades don't sound very feasible). It's not bad. I can live with it, I think. The sound can be harsh at times (i.e. I have to turn the volume down because the shrillness hurts my ears!), but kept at a reasonable volume it should be OK. I love the rest of the car so much that I'm not too upset about this, but the sound could certainly be better. (In terms of design and features, it is fine). Also, why no cassette? Are they obsolete already????

Complaints: OK, the car isn't perfect, but what car is? Things I don't much care for:

- Lack of storage space. Germans don't seem to be big on this (the Passat had the same problem). The center console can't hold more than a wallet, and the glove box more than a few CDs. Oh well, I'll just use the backseat :-)

- Driver's seat belt very awkward to reach

- I miss my VW folding key :(

OK, those are pretty mild complaints! But I had to have some to make this balanced. :=)

If anyone is considering buying a 325 coupe and has any questions, feel free to ask. I know I had plenty before I got mine.

-Tim
  • chosen12bchosen12b Member Posts: 5
    does the 04 325ci have a built in alarm system or does it just have door locks. know the key has a panic button...we just ordered or 04 325ci titan. silver and we wer wondering if we need to add that later?
    jacob
  • rpadillarpadilla Member Posts: 53
    I totally agree with memphis -- my '01 330i is happiest on on what has been called on this board the "twisties", of which there are plenty in So. Indiana. Straight line speed is okay, but, there are other cars that are far faster than mine (i.e., I was beaten off the line by a G35 coupe). IMHO, still an excellent, excellent car.
  • trmichaelstrmichaels Member Posts: 18
    The alarm system is a dealer-installed option.
  • eglassereglasser Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I was hoping one of you could help me out. Unfortunately, my Beemer is not a "Garage Princess" -- I have to park it exposed to the elements. I have a tree that I've discovered has been "misting" sap and dropping leaves onto my car's hood (2001, 325i). I haven't really noticed it until this season, but the misting sap isn't really the problem, what HAS been a problem is the tannins that leach out from the fallen leaves (when mixed with rain water and then dry). To my shock, I've found that this "spotting" seems to be IN my clear coat! Is there any product out there to remedy my problem or am I simply a day late and a dollar short??

Thanks in advance.
    E
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    the body shop with your 'bimmer. This sounds like a problem but you might have a chance of a skilled buffer taking car of it but you need an expert in my opinion. My body shop manager is a saint and if you were my client we'd pay him a visit before doing anything. good luck!!!
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Time to clay bar your car, it lifts the hardest stain that can be embedded in your paint.
  • rustyrrustyr Member Posts: 10
    New 2003 325i (Gray Green metallic/black leather) owner for just a few weeks. I'll give my initial impressions, then I have a question about the way the automatic transmission downshifts.

The car is fabulous. Handling is incredible. I've never owned a car like this (traded a 2002 Volvo S60 AWD, previous car was a 1998 Passat GLS). The way it takes turns, stops, and rides are all excellent. It is, as Consumer Reports claims, almost a perfect blend of luxury, ride, and performance. I know others aren't happy with the stock sound system but I find it to be much better than the Volvo. The seats are extremely comfortable and the leather is first rate. The only issue so far is that when it shifts to its lowest gears as I slow down, sometimes it feels like a rather abrupt downshift. It's not nasty, but noticeable. This doesn't happen when I'm slowing to a complete stop that I notice but when I'm slowing to a very slow speed. Any reactions? Thanks.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I would imagine the main reason for this is to help with braking. Our 03 Accord does this, very smoothly though, and I like it. My IS300 e-shift logic isn't as intuitive.

Since the transmission is controlled by a computer there could be an ECU update for the downshift logic. Your dealer should be able to advise you on this.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    At 3000 miles, my '03 325 had the same problem when it downshifted into 1st coming to a stop. It only happened in left in "D", but would not be harsh at all when downshifting manually. Took it to the dealer and had a tech ride with me to demonstrate my concern. They kept the car for an afternoon and re-programmed the trans. Problem has not returned since.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I'm fairly sure my 330i does not downshift into 1st gear. I drove a 325 a couple of times and I didn't think they did it either. Mine starts off in second gear and I thought the 325s did as well.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I have Dunlop WinterSport 205/55/16. They are good snow tires and also great in the dry at highway speeds. I think I paid ~ $100/tire only.

Here is the rest of my car's specs - I placed second for the season in my Boston chapter autoX class for this year (won 2 individual events too):

'01 325i - Orient Blue/black 'ette, SP, manual, roof, xenons, heated seats, CD/H-K, OBC, OEM Alarm, steering retrofit, hardwired V1 with concealed display, AP-22 performance meter, R/D front strut brace, ECIS CAI, UUC sway bars, Performance Friction 90 brake pads
    Summer: Yokohama ES100 235/40/17 on Star 44s; Winter: Dunlop M2 Winter Sport 205/55/16 on Mille Miglia Spiders
    placed 2nd overall in your chapter! Very impressive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    i was so in love with that color, but wife went with the 04 mystic which is cool too...
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Good job on the auto-x season. We don't have enough coneheads in my chapter so it's SCCA or nothing..:p
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    No, no, not in the whole chapter. In my class. Here's a link, I am the second guy top to bottom in class ES (mostly non-M 3-series)

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/results/2003/autocross-season.asp?cl- - [non-permissible content removed]=*&headings=yes&firstlast=yes&model=yes&points- - =yes
  • meineautomeineauto Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone,

I just picked up a new '04 325 coupe. It has the power seats with memory. The keys are suppose to set the personalized settings when the door is unlocked remotely. The keys don't work, so I took the car back to the dealer. After spending 3.75 hours there waiting, they told me their '04 software didn't have that piece, so they couldn't program the keys. They then said BMW didn't send them the updated '04 software. They said I needed to wait for them to get the software, which may take 1-2 months, before they can program my keys. Doesn't this sound ridiculous? They had the '04 coupes on their lots since Juy/August, how could they not have the '04 software by now??? Is anyone experiencing this? Do you think this typical of BMW to do...to send out the software later? Or do you think the dealer is wacked out and don't know what they're doing?

Thanks!
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    I'd be pretty unhappy. This sounds like a service fiasco that should have been avoided. I'm not sure about this software excuse but I haven't experienced any such problems with my clients here. I'd contact bmw.
    that sounds weird, wife has a 04 cabrio since may and they programmed it for us out the door...

hmmm hmmm
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    Does anyone know if I can be eligible for the $500 rebate from BMW-CCA if I purchase my current vehicle (02 330) at the conclusion of the lease. The form states Certified vehicle. I could get it certified though I don't know the cost. If I join CCA could be $500 less....What do you get for Certified anyway, how long is the warranty, does this include maintainence service?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    mitchs3... You should check out the BMW NA web site for details on CPO program. And BMW CCA's web site for details on the CCA rebate program.

CPO adds a limited 2-yr/50K warranty (with $50 deductible) to the original 4/50 b-to-b.

CCA program requires you to buy the car from a BMW dealer either new or CPO. Can't just buy it used from dealer. Nor from a 3rd party. BMW wants to encourage CPO program. Likely to boost margins, improve the marque's perception, and help dealers differentiate their CPO BMW cars from non-BMW dealer selling "just" a used BMW.

To be eligible for CCA rebate, you have to be a member in good standing for more than a year. Program also helps promote longer term CCA membership.
  • 325i_driver325i_driver Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I am a freshman college student who is considering buying a used '92 BMW 325i with 180,000 kms, local car, one owner (I'm from BC, Canada, by the way). This will be my first car. I'll use it to commute for school. Please, I need your inputs before I make up my final decision. Here are my very short concerns:
    1. are the replacement parts for this model still quite expensive? If the cost is only slightly higher compared to Japanese makes, I don't see this as a problem.
    2. what's the recommended octane rating?
    3. reliability and durability?
    I guess that's about what I think for now. The car seems to be in good condition. It's very clean both inside and out. The paint still looks new. Even the engine bay is clean since it's coming from a used car dealership. My intuition is it is a nice used car. I test drove it twice already and my initial impression is it is still a very solid, tight, and I'm guessing, a well maintained car. I welcome any inputs from you guys that I should be concerned about. What/where should I pay more attention at? PLEASE, I NEED YOUR INPUT. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    While you wait to hear from others, there is some information you might find helpful at this link: 1992 BMW 3 Series - 4 Dr 325i Sedan.

Good luck!
  • aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    I thank you for your info. Much appreciated.
  • mxpro738mxpro738 Member Posts: 59
    Thought you guys might find the following interesting.

Consumer Reports rates the Dunlop Winter Sport M2 equal to the Blizzak WS-50 in the snow, better than the Blizzak on the ice (huh?) and equal in the wet. The Dunlop's dry handling and cornering was far preferred.

Ice braking testing was done from 10 mph on an ice rink.

Tire Rack rates the WS-50 better than the Blizzak LM-22 in the snow and ice. The LM-22 is rated better on the snow and ice than the Dunlop Winter Sport M2. Thus, the WS-50 rates better than the Winter Sport M2 for snow and ice. When I talked to two different Tire Rack personnel, both offered that the Dunlop would be superior in dry and at cornering, whereas the SW-50 would outperform the Dunlop in the snow and on the ice.

These two sources bother offer empirical data, but seem diametrically opposed on the issue of performance on the ice.

Who would you bank on?
    What I'd suggest is to have an independent BMW mechanic look at the car to. It will be worth your money.

• rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    Greetings,
       I'm thinking of buying a 2002 325XI. Can anyone offer any opinions on XI repair history and does the AWD effect normal maintenence costs like brakes etc. since I would expect the dealer to claim it's more complicated to work on?
        I would also like to know how much the AWD effects the steering, handeling and feel of the car.
        Thanks
  • mxpro738mxpro738 Member Posts: 59
    Thought you guys might find the following interesting.

Consumer Reports rates the Dunlop Winter Sport M2 equal to the Blizzak WS-50 in the snow, better than the Blizzak on the ice (huh?) and equal in the wet. The Dunlop's dry handling and cornering was far preferred.

Ice braking testing was done from 10 mph on an ice rink.

Tire Rack rates the WS-50 better than the Blizzak LM-22 in the snow and ice. The LM-22 is rated better on the snow and ice than the Dunlop Winter Sport M2. Thus, the WS-50 rates better than the Winter Sport M2 for snow and ice. When I talked to two different Tire Rack personnel, both offered that the Dunlop would be superior in dry and at cornering, whereas the SW-50 would outperform the Dunlop in the snow and on the ice.

These two sources bother offer empirical data, but seem diametrically opposed on the issue of performance on the ice.

Who would you bank on?
  • jbailey6jbailey6 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2003 330xi. It's relatively new so I can't comment on maintenance costs being higher for the AWD. I bought it for greater security in snowy weather. I feel that the handling and performance are excellent and I could not detect any difference from the 330i when I test drove both during my purchase. Jim
  • andergtrandergtr Member Posts: 101
    if so, what size were the wheels and tires?

i have an '02 325ci that i love, and now that i have a second car for commuting, the bimmer gets to be tricked out--it no longer has to be practical as a daily driver.

i love the look of the 18's i've seen 330's, and a neighbor in my building has 18's with 255/35/18's in the rear and 225/40/18's in the front, and that looks good.

however, i'm just TOYING with the idea of going to 19's on the car. of course, that means i have rubber bands for tires, but i live in so cal so it doesn't rain much, and the roads are in good condition, relatively speaking.

right now the car just has the stock 17's on it. i don't mind a rougher ride. my big fear with the 19's is that i'm going to hit a hole and bend the rim. i know that they offer 19's on the M3's, but a lot of guys i know went with the 18's on those.

any thoughts? thanks in advance.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    Since nobody has yet responded to your question, I'll try to share with you my experience. I can'r comment on the Dunlop M2 as I haven't had any experience with them. However, I think braveheart had them installed last winter and loved them.
    I have the Blizzak ws-50 as well as the Michellin Arctic Alpin installed in our two cars respectively (both 3 series). What I found is that the Blizzak appreciatively degraded the car's handling while was very effective in snow and ice. The Arctic Alpin handles well and is almost the same as the all season tires that come with the car. It works well also in anow/ice, but may be provides a touch less traction than that of the Blizzak. I'll go with the Michellins when time to replace the WS-50.
    wont you want the touch more traction come winter? Is the reasoning that you favor handling more than winter traction?

ksso
  • hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    I have had them for 2 winters, and about to put them on again sometime next month... It has been great so far. I have summer tires as OEMs, and I need the winter tires.

In the greater Boston area, the streets are plowed relatively quickly and cleanly. So I went with the Arctic Alpins instead of the better snow/ice traction Blizzaks.

Of course, it all depends on the road condition in your area, and how much you drive during bad weather conditions.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    In a metro area, do you really need snows on the front?
    when you make such a drastic change, like performance to winter/snow, you'd rather change all 4 than just 2. Your car's temparament would be quite fickle and noteworthy if the 4 tires are unmatched... so metro or not metro shouldn't make much of a difference.
  • CrevelsCrevels Member Posts: 37
    I'm getting ready to order snow tires for my '02 330Ci and was looking for some feedback regarding tire widths. I'm thinking of getting the narrower 205/50HR17 Winter Sport M2's instead of the 225/45HR17. My thinking is that narrower tire will cut through snow better. Any drawbacks? How much of a difference will there be in dry driving conditions?
  • scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    Personally, I'd recommend against going with 19" wheels for your 3-series, wholeheartedly. Remember that the M3 wheels are different radius than are normal 3-series wheels (that's why the 18s for example are 225-45-18 and 255-40-18, instead of the 3's 225-40-18 and 255-35-18).

The wheelwells on the M3 were redesigned for the wider track, higher offset wheels, and that's why the rear wheels from an M3 will not fit a normal 3, no matter how much you roll the fenders. People who want M3 wheels on their 325/30s end up having to use M3 fronts on all four corners.

Even here in LA, going to 19s on a regular 3 is asking for trouble, especially if you're going to sink a lot of money into the wheels and tires (which you sound like you might). Hope that helps.
  • scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    Crevels,

Our 330 came with 205s all around, clad with ContiSport Contact all-seasons.

In the snow - narrower is better, and the 205s will seat more firmly. The difference will likely be marginal, but in an emergency might make the difference (or might not hehe).

In the dry - the 205s are considerably smaller footprint, and do not corner nearly as well once you approach the limits. This though, was exacerbated by the general suckiness of the Contis. Not that they are horrible tires, but rather they are horrible tires for cornering. It doesn't become apparent til you pass about 6/10s, but at that point will feel noticeably less "planted" than will 225s in front with 245/255s in the back (255s are actually the "proper" match, notwithstanding BMW's use of 245s on the 68M sport package wheels).

On the other hand, the Contis are incredibly quiet and durable (after 28,000 miles, the salesman asked us if we had recently replaced the original tires with new ones - ha!). But for spirited driving and track use, the 205s don't hold a candle to a sport setup.

So in short, for winter, I'd use 205s all around and skip the race track, but swap them with 225/255s staggered for summer use, with a good summer tire, like Michelin Pilot Sports.
  • andergtrandergtr Member Posts: 101
    yeah, i think the 19's look great, but it would be impractical.

the 18's look fantastic, too, and i think that's what i'll end up going with. any recommendations? i like the hamanns and the AC schnitzers, but it seems like everyone has those. i like the breytons, too--and it doesn't seem like everyone has those.
    330i step hit 20,000 miles after a year and a half. Two weeks in a row I had occasion to take the same 200 mile round trip. The first trip moving along with traffic I averaged about 80. Gas mileage for the trip according to computer was 29.1 for the trip.

The second trip the highways were a bit more crowded, and I averaged about 65. The round trip mileage according to the computer was 31.7.

The seats with which I've had a love/hate affair with were extremely comfortable for time I spent in the car. I attribute this to the fact that normal day to day driving is a stressful experience competing with trucks, buses and other cars that all cut you off with impunity. On these trips I was very relaxed.

The car feels like it operates on rails. I had the "opportunity" to test emergency braking at 80 as a car entered the highway, cut a car off in the right lane and went straight to the middle lane going about 40. As I was behind this driver, I braked hard. The Bimmer just slowed down without any pretense and tracked perfectly straight. ABS never even kicked in.

I also had opportunity to let her rip. The speedometer goes straight north never losing any steam, never giving the impression that it's going much faster than you want to believe. It slows down, straight as an arrow when the brakes are applied.

The car has been rock solid reliable. Requiring one minor walk-in service visit in a year and 4 or 5 mos. where I was literally in and out.

After I bought the car and I was wondering if BMWs are as reliable as I thought they were. I am not dissapointed. No oil usage in 5K miles. The only two issues with car: 1) HK rattle on AM. I've given up on this. 2) Drivers windows squeals intermittently. I'll get this taken care of at the next service.

Dealer service is great to deal with. Nice clean BMW loaners. All in all an exemplary ownership experience thus far.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I'm being lazy... but could you tell me how to check the gas mileage (via the OBC) on a particular trip?? So far, I can only tell MPG for the entire life of the car. (it's a '01 330i)
    sunlib - the computer is able to reset the average mph and average mpg. Use the button at the end of the left stalk to select the mpg. Hold it in about 5 seconds until you see the display reset to dashes. Same goes for mph display.

LOL - I also never knew the radio display could be switched to 24 hour time.