Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    jim1395jim1395 Member Posts: 34
    i appreciate the replies. i to will get 31-32mpg on the highway doing 75-80mph. i really was looking specifically for just city driving mpg as that is where i do most of my driving. i guess i should also give an update as well since i'm here. after almost 1 year of ownership. zero problems and have not been back to dealer since taking delivery. on a scale 1-10. i'd give it an 8.5. i have to take a couple of points off for being slightly underpowered and the manual tranny really should be as good as a honda/acura/miata at this price point. overall i love the car. very fun to drive. feels great. but don't think i'd pay 34-36k for one.
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    23-24 mpg (70% highway, 30% City). Shift around 4000 RPM, Highway speeds are 80 mph or higher.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    19 mpg. thank heavens, the gas in NJ is relatively cheaper...
  • Options
    efxxefxx Member Posts: 24
    I'm getting some vibrations overall (including steering wheel) when I travel greater than approximately 75MPH. What could be causing this? Tires? (stock conti 16" tires and have about 43K miles). I doubt its alignment because it doesn't pull to the left or right. Is anyone else experiencing this? FWIW, its an '02 325i (non-sport).
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    My first thought upon reading your post, is that your tires are worn out. If not, possibly control arm bushings or even struts.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Sounds like there is something going on. My 325i came off the ship in NJ on the 10th and arrived at the dealer on the 19th. You should try to get some definite answers.

Are you going to change your forum name with you get the new car?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Down to 22-21 mpg with 60 highway/40 city on my ZHP. But I shift at 5000-5500 rpm pretty much all the time once the engine is warmed up - near redline is a frequent occurence too. Usually 75% throttle too - if not 100%. Freeway time I'm most often in 3rd or 4th cruising at around 80+.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    That's way cool man! Good luck with your car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Picking up my 330i...silver grey,black leather, premium package tomorrow night.
    I have been driving Honda/Acuras since 1975.
    I hope I have made the right move!!!!!!
  • Options
    Excuse the length, but I had the urge to give a first-impression review of my new 325i. I’m comparing it to my previous car, a ’98 A4 1.8T Quattro with 5-speed manual that served me well the last 6 years. My 325i is Steel Blue with Sand leatherette, manual trans, PP, CWP, and sport seats. I did not want the full Sport Pkg since the roads here in Michigan are mostly straight and rough and I can get by with the all-season tires year round.

EXTERIOR
    This is always subjective, but I like having a car in a less common color. I’ve already gotten a number of compliments on it. Also, after looking at the new 5 and 6-series cars in the showroom, I’m glad to have bought the E46 instead of waiting for the E90. I think the E46 has more "character" in its styling details than the slippery but bland-looking newer models. IMO, the new 5 and 6-series cars look like they could just as well have come from Nissan or Acura.

INTERIOR
    Audi really does do the best interiors in the industry right now. The way that the dash curves around into the door panels, the color and texture matching, and the consistent size and placement of buttons and other controls are very well done on the A4. The BMW is a bit less well put together from a design standpoint. And with the sand interior the black upper instrument panel is a bit too much of a contrast. At least the wood trim that comes with the PP looks really nice with this color combo. On the other hand, everything you need to get at is within reach of the driver, and it does come off as more of a business-like layout to match its "driver’s car" reputation.

FEATURES
    The 325 definitely has a lot more "automatic" features than my A4 had, not all of which I was that enthused about. To me, "automatic" means that someone else is deciding how and when to operate something, and not always to my liking. After all, I do prefer a manual trans so I can decide when to shift :-). I’m especially skeptical about the rain-sensing wipers, but we shall see. I just hope the climate control works as well as it did in the A4.

Major non-features for me are the displays having to do with gas mileage, especially the one taking space below the speedometer. Yes, I know that the instantaneous mileage sucks when the throttle is well open and that I am getting 50 mpg when coasting up to a stop. Is this gauge (probably just a vacuum gauge) useful for anything in a performance car? The readouts on the computer are somewhat more informative, but still...

FIRST DRIVING IMPRESSION
    I always enjoyed driving my A4 and would characterize it as being very "sporty" in nature, but the 325i just shouts "sport" at me without the "y" if you know what I mean. I used to think the A4 and 3-er were equivalent, but now see why the 3-series has been raved about for years. I am really going to have to watch my speed in this car. And what a sound and feel from that engine! This is my first in-line 6 ever, so that may account for some of it, but I can’t believe how quickly the engine revs or how good it sounds doing it (and I am trying to hold back during the break-in period).

I am also glad that my sanity returned in time to stick with a manual transmission, reversing my impulse to try an automatic for a change. The manual makes the car that much more responsive, with the feeling that the throttle pedal is directly connected to the push from the rear wheels.

Speaking of rear wheel drive, I haven’t yet felt any big difference compared to the A4. It was much more obvious when I went from my FWD Sentra SE-R to the A4 than from the A4 to the 325, at least so far. What does surprise me is that the 325 seems a lot quieter inside than the A4, but that might be due mostly to the tires that I had the last couple of years on the Audi.

LITTLE DETAILS
    - The tool kit is really well done. BMW motorcycles have always had the best tool kits in the industry, and I see that their cars follow suit.
    - Everything is there that I need to install a CD changer. I’m getting the Alpine model that plays MP3 files as well as regular audio CDs.
    - The "BMW Assist" that came with the PP is not very useful, especially since the concierge service is only available by phone -- the satellite link is only for emergencies and roadside assistance, neither of which I plan on having. I surely won’t renew, but I’m stuck with that ugly wart on the back of the roof :-(.

SUM-UP
    Right up to the day of delivery, I was worried about selling my A4 to get a car that maybe I wouldn’t like as well. The A4 is already fading quickly from my memory...
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Congratulations on the new ride. ;-)

Regarding the rain sensing wipers, back when I got my 1999 328i, which had them as well, I too was a little skeptical. The funny thing about using them is that you don't really realize just how useful they are until you drive another car on a day that has intermittent showers or is lightly raining. On days like that, it seems that I am always fiddling with the intermittent refresh on my wife's car because then you are in traffic you need a much higher setting than you do when you are in the clear, however, on my car, I simply set the wipers and forget them. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Shipo... You took the words right out of my mouth. I love the rain-sensing wipers..

Gordonwd.. Steel Blue rocks!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    One thing I don't like about the rain sensing wiper is having to switch it off and back on if I have taken the key out. Rain sensing means that the wiper should start to work if it is in the ON position and the key is in position 1 or higher and if it is raining. If I have to manually switch it on I can also manually adjust the speed. It's not like the auto headlight that switches on when it gets dark. You don't have to switch it off and back on again for it to work. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem or am I not doing something right.
  • Options
    "That's not a bug, that's a feature!" ;-)

Imagine this: you hop into you dusty, dirty ride on a nice sunny Saturday morning. You think, "Ugh! I need to get this thing washed." Unfortunately, you are short on time so you drive to the automated carwash where you drive up, pay, pop it in neutral, ride through the wash, throw it in gear, and away you go. Except for one thing, your "Rain Sensing" wipers sensed rain inside the carwash, activated, caught one of the soft cloth brushes, and got mangled by the machine while tearing up the sheet metal on the hood of your car and breaking your windshield. My thinking is that that would kind of ruin your whole day.

Needless to say, having to "Re-Activate" them every time I start the car is a price I'm willing to pay to avoid the above scenario. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Good to know that it is not a bug. I never conjured up the car wash scenario in my mind. Besides, I always use a touch less car wash, no brushes or cloth for me. Some of the older cars had the power antenna and if you went into car wash listening to your radio, you could have a nice mangled antenna. Thanks --
  • Options
    eman6628eman6628 Member Posts: 41
    I just picked up a 330ci, have been wondering, should I get extra rust proofing beyond the standard warranty? What does the everyone's experience on this forum thinks?
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Well put, as always. We can always count on you to provide an answer.
  • Options
    Ummm, what is "extra rust proofing beyond the standard warranty"? Zebart? For a modern car, that is snake oil.

The 3-Series carries a "Rust" warranty of 6 years, and through the 4 New Jersey winters that I had my 1999 328i, I'd say that you will never need the warranty. When I turned mine in there was not a single discernable speck of rust anywhere.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Thanks! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Congrats on your new ride. The car will get a little quicker after the first 6-7K miles. Also, the power is a lot more notceable in the right side of the tach - you will find out what I mean after you break it in. Enjoy it - it's a great car!!
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    im planning to buy a new 330i, but im not really sure what color is the best. im considering jet black, silver, gray green or steel blue.
    and one more thing that really bothers me: what the **** is that weird thingy on the back of the roof? it looked darn ugly for sure and i definitely wouldnt want one on my car
  • Options
    has anyone seen the spyphotos of the '06 3 series? If anyone has a link to any websites with photos please let me know :)
    I heard itll be adopting he styling cues of the new 5 series...I seriously hope its not true, bmw messed up the 5 series badly already, though i personally like the new 645ci, z4 and the new 7 series, but i really think the new 5 series is too much of a radical change, so unBMW it doesnt even look like one anymore.
    and i really hope they wont be throwing in the lame i-drive into the new 3 series.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    There are only heavily-disguized spy photos and Photo-shopped computer renderings of the '06 3 series online.
    Of course, it will somewhat follow the styling theme of the other new BMW sedans.
    If you are really that afraid of the '06 looking anything like a 5 series, then you should buy an '05.
  • Options
    IMO, black and silver are far too common. In just a few days, I have received many compliments on the looks of my Steel Blue 325i. I also considered the gray-green and don't know why I don't see more in that color.

The wart on the rear of the roof is for the BMW Assist "feature" (BMW's equivalent of On-Star) and maybe also if you get XM radio or whatever. It will be there if you order the Premium Package on an '04 3-series. I wish I could have avoided it also, as the chances of my actually paying for that service are about nil.
  • Options
    Any problems with the brakes...are they pulsating ?
    Where abouts are you?
  • Options
    I live in the Calgary, Alberta. I picked up on Apr 16, it has only about 300km on it so far. The brake on my 330ci are awesome, It is so responsive and smooth, it is only fitting for a BMW, but my 330ci has the 'M' sport package, not sure if there is a different on the brakes.
  • Options
    How is the winter in New Jersey? How much snow on average? Does the city uses chemical or salt along with gravel and sand to help keep the roads clear and help traction? Where I live (Calgary Alberta), the city uses all of the above in the winter on the roads.
  • Options
    unfortunately premium package is what im lookin for...is there any way to remove that wart at the dealership?
    oh and does anyone know where I can get the eurospec lights? (white turn signal covers) so far i could only find the ones for coupe-convertibles.
  • Options
    During the time I had my 328i, we had two fairly severe winters (a severe winter for NJ is something like 50" of snow) and yes, both New York and New Jersey where my car spent most of its life use road chemicals, primarily salt.

I now live in New Hampshire, and we got 114" here during the 2002-2003 winter, and my current ride, a 530i, is shrugging off the effects of winter here as easily as my 328i did in New Jersey.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    I also hated the wort and the built in added cost of the BMW Assist when I was looking for my 330i ZHP. My dealer found a car in MD with performance package (ZHP), my color (imola red), the moonroof, heated seats and xenons, no BMW Assist wort built in. If you look for a SP (sport package), instead of a ZHP, you will avoid been saddled with the wort and the annual fee after the first year. I was told you cannot remove the wort from a PP (premium package), since there is an actual sealed penetration in the roof at that location for antenna and control wiring. Plus it is a $800 something option. I also found out the BMW assist is less versatile than the OnStar, i.e it will not unlock your car or other things. The only things you give up by not ordering the premium package is the lumbar back support and the myrtle wood interior. Bottomline, you should try building the car you really want with individual options. I compared the cost of the premium package and separate options and it was not far apart.I hope this helps.
  • Options
    I always thought that wort was a liquid formed by soaking mash (malt, hops, yeast, and a little rye flour for a distinctive flavor) in hot water and then fermented to make ale. I'm sure glad I have/had older BMWs and avoided getting wort all over the paint, sounds like kind of a mess. ;-)

All seriousness aside, I would really prefer not to have a "Big Brother Wart" on any car that I own.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "325i is Steel Blue with Sand leatherette, manual trans, PP, CWP, and SPORT SEATS. I did not want the full Sport Pkg since the roads here in Michigan are mostly straight and rough and I can get by with the all-season tires year round."

Wait a minute! You got the sport seats w/o the full Sport Pkg? When did BMW change that? Holly crap, we're gonna change our order, which is to be built starting early part of May.

How much are these sport seats as a stand-alone option?
  • Options
    I just picked up mine 2 days ago and noticed that at high speed when gently touching the brakes there is a minor pulsation which usually indicated warped rotors. I think the car was on the lot for a while and the corrosion caused that. I have the premium but not the sport package....it is an awesome car. Most impressive is the silky smooth engine and handling.....love the RWD and no torque steer ! I am in Ancaster , Ontario will be in Calgary in June.
    Good luck and Regards.
    Webby
  • Options
    aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    Picked up a new 2004 325xi with leatherette seats. Have found seats very firm and uncomfortable. Anyone else have this experience or is it just my derriere? Had leather in my previous 2001 325xi and was most comfortable. Sorry I didn't get leather again. Thanks for comments.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I switched to Red Line today. Shifting is MUCH smoother, considerably better compared to when the car was new (61K miles today) For anyone out there who is planning on keeping their car for a while or just looking for an improvement in shifting, do it as early as 30K miles. I wish I had not waited till 60K miles but as they say, better late than never :o)

Here are the instructions:

http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_rear_diff_fluid.shtml
  • Options
    if only theres a way to get the woodtrim w/o premium package...Id have to say woodtrim looks nice as the titanium trim looks ugly on any interior color but black...and somehow i find the titanium looking cheap compared to Audi A4s aluminum trim...
    my preference will be auto tranny (i live in big city so manual isnt so good there), premium package and heated seats for sure (it surely gets cold here sometimes)and oh...xenon lights :D

anyways do you think its possible to get the woodtrim installed at the dealrship? i mean im pretty sure i can order it as sparparts :D but im not sure if the dealer will install it for me...
  • Options
    oh and btw anyone know where i can get eurospec lights from? it sure is hard to find one....
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I know some guys have gone through Maximillian Imports for the clears. I purchased a full myrtle trim set for my 04 325i from an individual and swapped it out myself. Took about 30 minutes. The sedan is a pretty easy job; coupe is a bear cause you have to remove the door panels. The sedan panels just pop on and off. I have also read that, just like the sport seats, the myrtle trim has become an individual option, too. I paid $150 for mine ($500 option from BMW) and then sold the titanium trim for $150 so my net cost was $0. Only individual option I wished I had was the adjustable lumbar. I find that my lower back in insufficiently supported. I know some folks have installed an aftermarket lumbar kit; I'm definitely gonna look into it.
  • Options
    shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    Yup, I agree. The seats are very firm and can be uncomfortable on long rides. I've got young kids, so leather is not an option for me just yet.
  • Options
    aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    Thanks, Shap 1. Was beginning to think it was in my head. No question - seats are firmer - less padding, I assume, and leatherette is hotter.
  • Options
    They were $550. Your dealer should know how to order them or can find out (I think this became available in February). They can only be ordered on a "sold car", which of course yours is. If you also got the Premium package, then the sport seats will of course be powered.
  • Options
    Interestingly, I've found soft seats to feel good for a short while, but get uncomfortable on long rides -- it's like I have to keep shifting my weight around to stay comfortable. I'll have to see how the sport leatherette seats in my new car work when I take my first big trip in a few weeks. Similar seats in my A4 (also leatherette) were very comfortable on all-day drives.
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I have found that the leather seats get more comfortable as they age. When I first got the car I had a long drive NY - Boston and struggled at the end to get comfortable. Now, no problem.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    gordonwd nailed it; Those firm seat cushions are designed to properly support the shoulders, spine, hips and upper legs. Cushy seats that feel comfortable and luxurious in the showroom will have your back screaming for mercy after a two hour trip. My wife had merely tolerated my BMW "hobby" until she got her own 3er. She was amazed at how she was now able to drive for several hours without getting tired. Believe it or not, the(two way adjustable) seats in my 1999 Wrangler Sahara aren't half bad either; must be the Daimler-Benz influence ;)
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    will the leatherette sport seats w/o lumbar be good for long trips?

If the leatherette regular seats aren't so comfy, then will the leatherette sport seats?

If the regular seats w/o lumbar suck, then will the longer-cushion sport seats w/o lumbar be not as bad on your back?

One dealer disclosed that a 325i on special order can be equipped w/ lumbar on the premium package, but didn't tell me how much more $. Anyone knows?
  • Options
    That does sound like a slightly warped rotor, the BMW dealer should be able to fix that quickly. I got mine directly off the train and it wasn't sitting on the lot. Best of luck to you, hope those little thing won't put a dent in your enjoyment of the car.
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    In my 2.5 years of ownership I have come up with one complaint about my e46:

No chime to warn you if you leave your headlights on. There are situations when I turn on my Xenons when there is still daylight but is getting cloudy or a bit darker, but then the sun reappears again and I go park somewhere completely forgetting to turn the lights off. Even though the Xenons turn off when the car is switched off, the tail lights and corner markers remain on. This could drain the battery if I was gone for an extended period of time.

Why no warning in a > 30K car? My last 2 cars have had them.
  • Options
    >No chime to warn you if you leave your headlights on.

My '04 has this feature. Maybe it was added in the past couple of years?
  • Options
    I was skeptical, but after driving a couple of hours yesterday in rain that ranged from no rain to drizzle to full rain I have to admit that I like the way the rain-sensing wipers work. Basically I just set it and forgot it -- never had to manually control the wipers.

I also find myself using the automatic headlight setting as well. On our GM car I don't like the fact that you can't force the lights off if the car thinks they should be on, but the BMW setup where you can have them automatic or manually controlled is nice.

At least driving in the rain meant I had to do my first car wash, which is always a good way to get familiar with the details of the car's bodywork. One thing it certainly has in common with my A4: lots of black brake dust on the wheels!
  • Options
    Is it possible this is a programmable function, like the DRLs? Just a thought.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator