Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    Yes, you get first rights of refusal, but I have to hedge my bets.

Who knows, you may take one look at the car and run away screaming :)

Let me sweeten the pot...
    My dad'll throw in three goats and a camel.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    A nice toaster is blatantly amiss from your dowry... I think Dave might be OK with that, though.

Is that the two-humped camels or the single hump? 'Cuz I'm hearing the two-humped camels are selling pretty well this year.
    This kind of camel:

http://www.arab.net/camels/

BTW: Anyone ever watched a camel race?

• dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    always joked about getting my friend a 4 slotted toaster as a wedding gift. One can do more with a toaster oven.

genie1: is the camel a champion racer?

"Anyone ever watched a camel race?"

In person or on TV?
    I also noticed the lack of car seat covers as well. :)
    Do camels come in 6-cyl or just the base 4?
    Yes, racing camels can cost as much as Arabian horses. I think they go as fast as 12mph.

The really sad thing is that in the Middle East they use very young SE Asian children as jockeys.

In person or on TV?

Well, either.
    Seen it on TV. They're pretty high up there, aren't they? Much higher than horses. Haven't travelled around the world as much as you. I do have a friend who visited Egypt couple of times. People kept asking her male friend, how much to buy her.
    Its a precarious ride at best.

Your friend must have been blonde. :)

Moving around as much as I do, one gets to know a bizarre amalgamation of facts and minutiae.
    Yup. She's blonde. I think the biggest offer was 5 heads of cattle, bunch of goats, and a dog (while she was on safari).

I've moved around a lot, but just in the same general area.
    My moving around consisted of over 11 cities in 5 countries as well as extensive travel in several others.

Lucky for me I enjoy seeing new places and trying out new food. I loved it but I am glad to finally have a place to call home. :)
    been to a lot of different airports. Does that count? :)

I'd love to travel more, but that annoying thing called work. New food is always fun. Goal is to try out the 4 lbs. steak they serve in TX. :D Don't quite have a home yet.
    I lost count of airports back in 93. :)

The nice thing about Toronto is that one is always driving distance from almost any kind of ethnic food one desires: sushi, pho, curry, falafel, dim sum or moule frites. You name it, I'm sure you can get it here.

Not to jinx myself or anything, but most of my travelling will be vacations from now on.

The Caribbean in February sounds about right. :)
    Are you the Iron Chef fan? Someone on this board was, but can't remember who. Anyone seen the ads for Iron Chef USA hosted by William Shatner? The Horror!!!
  • mschukarmschukar Posts: 351
    If you have the X, the standard all season tires will get you through just about anything with the exception of the deepest snow

Why is it that people believe they don't need winter tires when they have AWD? Sure, AWD will get you going better than 2WD, but what happens if you have to stop or maneuver in an emergency? The person with AWD will probably be driving faster because of the confidence gained from having traction while accelerating. I believe you're safer with 2WD and winter tires than with AWD and all season tires. Of course, AWD and winter tires would be best.

Why spend $1700 to go faster in the snow, but not spend $500 to stop and maneuver better?

-Murray
  • You have to factor in traction and aerodynamic drag. The amount of HP to achieve a paticular level of acceleration or top speed, does not increasingly proportionately because the increase in drag is disproportionate.

You also have a limited amount of grip from you tires. You as a result just can't keep adding low end torque, or for that matter increase torque beyond a certain level at any point in the powerband. You need to extend the powerband so you use the maximum wheel torque the tires can handle for a longer time.

The result is rather than going from 200HP to 210HP at 5250RPM you may need to 231HP at 5775RPM. You will have the same increase in torque but at a higher rpm, meaning more horsepower.

The drive train usually becomes heavier too as you increase power, either as a result of displacement or in terms of heavy dutier trans and axle to handle it. The increase in weight will result in you needing even more power, but may actually let you wheels handle more torque depending on center of gravity and weight transfer.

You also might be generating horsepower through tuning that actually reduces the torque in the low end, i.e. based on your cam profiles if you don't have true "stepless" variable valve timing and lift. You will now need even more highend power to compensate, need to pull even longer because you aren't pulling as hard early on.

I am assuming your gearing is staying the same, which makes sense once your ratio's are already yielding the maximum wheel torque the tires can handle. The exception is the last example where you may be able to use a higher gear, because of the reduction in low-end torque.

The bottom line is it is game of diminishing returns, to go a certain amount faster requires more and more work, and that work becomes harder and harder to do.
    <<< Of course, AWD and winter tires would be best.>>> mmmm, not true. For snow and especially ice, studded tires would be even better than snow tires. We keep arguing about this on the board and forget that people live in different climates, have different driving needs, different level of experience driving in snow, etc. One thing common about the 3-series is that they all are sporty and have pretty low ground clearance (5" only on the 325i SP). Obviously, getting through DEEP snow with that kind of clearance is not advisable, even if you have AWD and snow tires. Most people don't drive their Bimmers in very heavy snow. I'd tend to agree with the poster saying that AWD and all-seasons will help get through but the deepest snow. Sure, RWD and snow tires might be just as good, I don't know. To me personally, the key thing about snow is not getting stuck. Braking and handling in snow is obviously very important but where I live I do not drive in snow more than 10-15 days a year tops and even on those days, it'd be 3-4 inches of snow tops. I live in the city, have no driveway, and all the mandatory driving that I do is on well-maintained roads. I definitely do not want snows on my car because that gives me better performance on snow but worse performance on dry roads, which is most of what I do during the winter anyhow. All-seasons would be a perfect compromise for my winter driving needs. The key thing I'm trying to say is that there is no perfect answer to how much traction everyone needs during the winter. However, it's safe to say that snow traction, performance, and comfort in snow driving is achieved at the expense of dry traction, performance, and comfort.
    since you have all-season, planning on getting a dedicated pair for track?
    DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT ADVISE YOU TO DO THIS

Now, while I stated that all-seasons would be best for my winter driving needs, I have the summer tires on my 325i SP and am planning on keeping those for the winter and see how it goes.

As far as tracking in the Spring, I am not planning on getting a dedicated set of tires. For me, it would be too much hassle and expense to do that. I get the competitive racing adrenaline from kart racing... to me, tracking will be mostly an opportunity to improve my driving skills and race against my own best time. Gaining a few seconds and beating other cars does not seem to justify getting a dedicated set of tires. At least that's my current line of thinking. I am very competitive by nature, though, and once I get past the initial thrills of tracking, I may well decide that I need to try and kick everyone else's beep and get slicks, I don't know. Buy what you need when you are really sure you'll need it, I guess.
    winter in SF is pretty mild. ;-) For some reason, I thought you swapped your Z rated with all-season.