Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tenet1tenet1 Posts: 354
    Never fear. I picked up my '01 in the middle of September last year after a long wait. I could have waited another month to get an '02 but it really doesn't matter.

Disagree on the wagon. I think it looks cool. I will look to get one of those or a used 5er wagon sometime in the future.
  • esq1esq1 Posts: 20
    Hey! There are a few of us wagon owners out here. 1pierce is right about the wagons being rare, but I love my 325xiT. Interestingly, I didn't get the premium package because my wife didn't want the moonroof (and the kid in the backseat probably wouldn't have enjoyed it too much either). Now, there's no choice. I wonder if lack of buyer interest in a moonroof option is why they made the moonroof standard. Switching gears, I had Goodyear RS-As on my first post-college car, a Sunfire GT (which was a lousy, but fast, car). The Goodyears were awful on wet pavement. Even at slow speeds, I'd slide like I was on ice.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,464
    A 3 series wagon (and other wagons that brave1heart mentioned) is definitely something that would appeal to me. I'd definitely take a wagon over an SUV or a minivan. Many wagons handle better than SUVs or MiniVans, offer lots of cargo room, many offer AWD, and some even out handle their sedan counter parts, not to mention I like the styling. Even though a wagon may weigh more than than its sedan sibling, the weight over the back is more evenly distributed.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    Does anybody know when we should expect the 03 prices for Canada?
    Also is it possible that Canadian and USA 3's are assembled on two different lines. While USA 3's come pre-wired for the Homelink module (BMW's own garage opener)Canadian 3's are not pre-wired. This option is neither provided by BMW Canada nor it is possible to retrofit the USA module. Only the the fivers are indulged with this.
    Jean
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I have to admit, I really like the German wagons. My wife isn't too wild about wagons, they make her think of a mom-mobile. But It is a good alternative to a minivan or SUV. She does like the German wagons better than any other wagon, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

Our people hauler is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the Quadradrive to take us skiing. I'd rather take the BMW though. But it just doesn't have the storage for 4 people's ski equipment (including clothing).

Maybe if just me and wife go... :)

-Paul
  • aldubyaaldubya Posts: 38
    braveheart
    Talk about charges for bmw coolant! I took my 325xi in for my first oil change (15k miles)and was advised to have the tires rotated. When I asked what the charge for that service was, I was informed, $100! The local tire store charges $40
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I had my tires rotated on my xi to alleviate a vibration. Cost me $20.00.

-Paul
    I believe if you check your owner's manual, it clearly states that BMW advises against rotating the tires. It nmay be different on the xi modles though.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• abcnycabcnyc Posts: 101
    Any suggestions in taking care of a small scratch/ding on the door. Touch up paint is not necessary. Is thee anything that can polish or buff it out ?
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    tchoo: I have the RE950's. They are better in every way than the RS-A's, except that I think they give way sooner than the Goodyears in hard cornering. It might be in my head, though. It could be the lack of aural warning you mentioned with the RS-A's. I did break mine loose several times without much warning (but, in retrospect, I knew I was driving in too deep). I don't remember them squealing very often, which is what I like about Goodyears in general. The 950's may actually grip better, but they squeal at or near the limit, which I find really annoying. They sure do ride quiet and smooth, though, for all the handling you get from them.
    I just priced up my 325i with the 2003 pricing for comparison sake. It looks like my car, equipped with the same packages and options would be about $450 more in the '03 model. I had a hard time reading and printing the file, so I am not sure I got the base price right ($27,600?) I have 325i, elec red, leatherette, PP, Xenon, HK, and Step.

The '03 car would have, in addition to mine: rain sensor wipers, auto headlights, head unit w/aux input, and third rear headrest and seatbelt (this is something that should have been standard a long time ago - the seatbelt, I mean).

Is all that worth $450 to me? Hard call. I actually wouldn't mind the rain sensing wipers and the third rear seatbelt, but the rest, I won't miss. So, I'd say I'm glad to have the '02 model (well, to be WAITING FOR THE '02 MODEL!!!), and have the $450 in my pocket.
    Damn, you've been waiting for a long time man. Some people have done ED and have their cars quicker than you:) J/K

• mschukarmschukar Posts: 351
    The '02 does have a center seatbelt, but no shoulder strap. In my case it works out better since that's where I have the car seat for my 2 year old. The center headrest gets in the way of the car seat on our Volvo.

Regarding the $450, I'm sure the '03 would be worth at least $450 more if you sold it in 6 months, but this shouldn't matter if you plan on keeping the car for 10 years. Resale value definately should be considered when comparing end of model year vs. new model year.

-murray
    First let me say: I like station wagons. We had a Subaru Forester (which is a wagon, not an SUV, don't let them kid you), and we liked it alot. I could easily see us having a Volvo or Audi wagon or an Outback. But, let me explain my "opinion" of wagons, and why I made the comment I did.

1. Wagons are great for hauling people (but inferior to a minivan, by far).

2. Wagons are great for hauling cargo (but inferior to most mid or full size SUV's, by far, due to lower roofs and generally less torquey engines).

3. Wagons make an excellent compromise if you can't stand either of the above, or want a performance-oriented driving experience while your kids and cargo tag along for the ride.

But...

1. IMHO, wagons are NEVER cool, sporty, or luxurious. To me they will always have the stigma they had when I was growing up in the 1970's. They look like utility cars, even if they drive like a BMW. You'll never catch Porsche or Bentley selling one (although I can't explain the new Porsche SUV? Dumber than an X5?) And, wagons rarely look as attractive (subjective, I know) as a sedan. Then again, sedans rarely look as attractive as coupes (except the Eldorado/Seville pair - which proves there is an exception to every rule).

2. While I would love to own an A6 quattro wagon as our primary family car, you would have to put a gun to my head to make me drive it as my everyday car.

3. Just like some people think a BMW "should" have SP and manual transmission,...I think a BMW "shouldn't" be a station wagon. I just don't think its in character. And, I think its kind of goofy looking in the 3-series.

4. Opinions change. Give me a few years, and I may mellow on the subject. Afterall, 10 years ago I'd have written this exact same diatribe about a 4-door car. To think, I once thought "why on earth would somebody buy a 4-door 325?". In 1991 (pre-wife and kids), I wouldn't have been caught dead in a 4-door BMW.
    I am leasing, so I don't care too much about resale, unless I decide to buy out my lease.

I forgot that the 4-year maintenance is included now. I may lease for 4-years, and if I do, that would have been nice. Actually, that alone may have made it worth waiting.

nyccarguy: Made my deal on 5-29-02. Still waiting - this my tenth week. Oh, the pain!!!!! Must be the electric red color. There are so few red Bimmers on the road these days, I think they forgot where they store the paint.
    Actually, Free maintenance is only included for the first 3 years/36,000 miles of the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty period.

Especially if you're leasing, you might want to cancel the order for your '02 and wait for and '03. You've waited this long... The residual value of an '03 car will be more than an '02 car when your lease is up in 3 years. Higher residual = Lower lease payments:)

• brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    <<< wagons are NEVER cool, sporty, or luxurious >>>

Last time I drove down to NYC, an A4 Avant wagon passed me going triple-digits. I had fun keeping up with it and if you see that thing carving the sweepers at high speed, you'd be convinced that it is way cool and very sporty. I've been in one and I know firsthand how luxurious it is inside. That said, a wagon is a compromise, but so is a 3-series. The modern German wagons have nothing to do with the 2 1/2 ton Buick wagons from the '70's.
  • Hello all,

I just placed my order today for the a new 2003 BMW 330XI with SP, CWP, PP, Xeon, and NAV. I can't wait. They say it will take about 8 weeks. (color is gray green, sand interior.)

I went back and forth between 2002 or 2003. I was able to get the car under MSRP using 2002 prices, so I figured if the 2003 prices are higher then I got a better deal than I thought.

I ordered from BMW Gallery in Norwood, MA. Steve the sales guy was great. Took three hours of his time going over everything.

I will keep you posted on the arrival.

Jeff
  • For my '03 330i - Steel Blue(w/nat brown), PP, SP, BX. Euro Del. Got $1700 over Euro Del. Invoice. Really pleased with the deal...been waiting along time for this moment...whats another 4.5 months for the 3K savings!!!
    Bay Area
    Civ
  • mg330cimg330ci Posts: 162
    1.- As mentioned before, BMW does NOT recommend tire rotations.
    2.- If the service department gave you this advice, well, it should have done it for FREE, as it either fit the normal mantainance or warranty service requirements or abnormal wear and tear criteria.
    3.- Sorry to say this, but they got you.
    If you guy back to that dealership and go postal, you will have my sympathy and moral approval ;)
  • chewie5chewie5 Posts: 61
    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind driving around in a 540iT or Audi RS6 Avant...
    brave: I know it just personal opinion, which, along with two quarters will get you a newspaper, but,...lets just agree to disagree about whether or not wagons are cool or luxurious.

Then again, I don't think SUV's are cool or luxurious, either. They can put all the leather they want in one, and make it handle like the X5, and I still won't be convinced. IMO, if it is made to look like a truck, its a truck. And trucks are for utility, off-roading, and work,...period. I love them for that - I have a pick-up just for that. But, I have never felt "cool" driving it. I feel the same way about the "utility" of wagons. Just not my cup of sport-luxury tea.

Afterall, a man has to have a little bit of absolutism in his life to provide some sense of order. Right?
  • aldubyaaldubya Posts: 38
    Thank you: mg330ci and nyccarguy:
    As U suggested, I checked my owner's manual (labeled for 320i, 325i, 325xi, 330i and 330xi). Tire rotation is not recommended because "the tread wear on front and rear tires is different." When I phoned to make my appointment for the 15K oil change, that was when it was suggested that my tires be rotated. When I heard the charge for that was $100, I declined. When I brought the car in, my service rep, who did the write up, never mentioned it. I should file a complaint with my service rep at Erhard BMW in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan and let him know his phone greeter is "cherning!"
  • ajvdhajvdh Posts: 223
    The "not available in the USA", extremely limited production, and totally psychotic Audi RS4 came *only* as a wagon.

BMW also doesn't have any problem with sporty wagons - the E34 chassis M5 was available in Europe in a "touring" (wagon) configuration. There are a few gray-market examples that have made it over here.

But it does raise the question: Why does BMW only put the 2.5 in the AWD Wagon? That puppy's pretty heavy and could sure use the extra grunt.
    Our car insurance bill dropped by a whopping 43% (that's FORTY-THREE PERCENT!!) because we moved from Boston proper to the suburbs. Identical coverage, same insurance company, same policy year. Unbelievable! Another good reason to move to the suburbs.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Posts: 388
    BMW builds a 325 AWD wagon for the same reason they build a 520i Touring. Let's realise that the European car market is different than the American car market. We buy high HP 6 or 8 cyl with the concept of more bang for the buck for use in urban centers. Europe on the other hand has high priced gas, same streets, fewer parking spots and fast highways. If we (Americans) were not bbuying their cars, I think BMW would be selling high performance 4 bangers.

I say this in general terms, have we forgot that BMW is a German automaker selling cars for the home market and to make a profit. Europe has ridiculous emission standards, hence 4 cylinder engines in the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 L range. Diesel engines and compact cars. You will not see most of these cars in the U.S. based on U.S. car sales pattern. Yes, M-B is selling the C coupe but I just don't see a long term market for it.

The C coupe is over priced but priced low enough for someone to say "I own a Benz" even if it is a stripped down model. The same would be the case if BMW was to sell the compact. The Mini is out, yes it does not have a Roundel, but it is probably a better performer.

Station Wagon!!! AKA as Estates, Tourings, Avants and my personal favorite(Hybrid - Toyota Vibe). The industry is trying to sneak the station wagon back in and call it a Hybrid. SUVs have got a bad rap and Minivan/MPV/People mover looks like it made for soccer moms. The reality is this, the station wagon is safer than the SUV and better handling. Today's station wagons don't look like the giant size Bonneville wagon from the days of yore. People are going to drive what they like. If I had to place my preference in order it would be 1)Minivan, 2) Station Wagon and 3)SUV. I have a truck and don't like driving it. SUVs drive like trucks. Even the X5, though carlike, has that feeling of driving a truck or van.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    I really like the new Euro-wagons (BMW, Audi, Volvo) & the appealingly quirky Subies. The idea that you can throw your dogs or whatever in there is great. I guess I felt more comfortable in the sedan, coming from a little coupe. I wish I could afford a stable of fun cars. When I win the lotto....a Mini, an Audi wagon, a Z3, a Crown Victoria, an MGB, one of those old Chevy trucks from the 50's painted in apple green, the old Volvo that looks like a little spaceship...it's Friday 5:06, yabadadadoo time ladies & gents.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Read this message in the Owners Club photo topic: KarenS "BMW 3-Series Owners: Photo Gallery" Apr 27, 2001 10:40am. That should get you started!

Just remember to only use that technique to post pictures that you own.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I think the Hybrids you are referring to are more commonly known as tall wagons. Some people think they are the future because they handle reasonably well, offer a lot of storage, and get good fuel economy. To me, they look like mini minivans (Toyota Matrix anyone?) and if I needed the space, I'd rather get a large minivan...Tall wagons just don't look good...