Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    Please don't let manual seats get in the way of marital bliss :o) We both have manual seats in our cars and the few seconds that it takes to adjust them has never been a burden...We probably waste about 60 sec a month adjusting car seats...OK, I'll fess up - that's 60 secs EACH!!!
  • chewie5chewie5 Posts: 61
    The sports package on the xi's don't come with a sports suspension. I took this from the bmw website:

Sport Package

-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with fingertip cruise, audio, and accessory phone5 controls; 12-way adjustable front sport seats (includes 2-way headrests and thigh support); 8-way power front sport seats with 2-way manual headrests and thigh support; 3-driver memory for exterior mirror and seat positions; automatic tilt-down of passenger's side-view mirror when vehicle is shifted into reverse gear1; 17 x 7.0 Radial Spoke (Styling 73) alloy wheels, 205/50R-17 all-season tires

maransm--even without the sports suspension, I'd still get the sports package on the xi. As many have stated, the seats are wonderful and I like the look of the sport steering wheel better than the standard one.
  • ...to clean black marks on your tan VINYL interior - back of front seats, doors, door handles, etc? It's so noticable when you have the sand/tan interior!

I use Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner on the leather and they work great! But what should I use on vinyl??? How about Lexol Vinylex on vinyl? Anyone recommend it, or any other brands?

Thanks.
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    jbreez: Hey, that was rationalization worthy of a politician!

genie: Thanks. And it is gorgeous.

sunroof/memory seats: I'm using the sunroof more and more in the morning when it is cooler, and on the highway when I want air, don't wind rush, and don't need the AC. My wife likes a VERY different driving position than me, and I'm kind of anal about my seat position staying exactly the same once I find the right spot, so memory seats are something I appreciate.

Its been so darn hot here in Pgh this week, I haven't had the chance to drive the BMW during the day with the windows open, yet. I actually don't like AC - because it drags on the engine, and I like fresh air. But, its been soooo humid that I sweat with the AC off, and when it isn't hot, its raining too hard to open the windows.

brave: w/regard to power seat adjustment, some people have more tolerance for inconvenience than others.
  • john01john01 Posts: 246
    I hear it is quite popular among luxury car owners. I am told that Oxyclean (stuff on TV) works well on interior smudges, on most surfaces.
  • ...to clean black marks on your tan VINYL interior - back of front seats, doors, door handles, etc? It's so noticable when you have the sand/tan interior!

I use Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner on the leather and they work great! But what should I use on vinyl??? How about Lexol Vinylex on vinyl? Anyone recommend it, or any other brands?

Thanks.
  • mg330cimg330ci Posts: 162
    Now I can't sleep any more.

All I want to do as soon as I get home is to take the oil level dipstick and admire its aerodynamic shape.

I wonder how many hours of wind tunnel testing took the German engineers to shape this thing!

Now I know how they got the Idea for the movie Signs!, the whole design came right out of a corn field!

My son believes it is a spaceship and wants to play with it all the time!

Now, if BMW doesn't mind, how about a simple stick with to marks, H and L, and send me a $10 check for the savings, so I can buy a couple of bionicle toys for my son in exchange of my oil level :)
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    LOL, jbreez, I'd like to think I had the same line of rational line of thought you laid down... tee-hee! But seriously, best wishes for enjoying your new car! U R right, a part of me feels 'no going back'.

and pierce1, it sounds bee-YOU-ti-ful, with the accent on the second syllable. I love red, were it not for my last car being bright red and the fear of getting nailed by the CHP I would have picked it for meself. Congrats (finally, now, how exciting!) and best wishes to you for logging many satisfying miles in it.
  • mg330cimg330ci Posts: 162
    Now I can't sleep any more.

All I want to do as soon as I get home is to take the oil level dipstick and admire its aerodynamic shape.

I wonder how many hours of wind tunnel testing took the German engineers to shape this thing!

Now I know how they got the Idea for the movie Signs!, the whole design came right out of a corn field!

My son believes it is a spaceship and wants to play with it all the time!

Now, if BMW doesn't mind, how about a simple stick with to marks, H and L, and send me a $10 check for the savings, so I can buy a couple of bionicle toys for my son in exchange of my oil level :)
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    It's been a while, but since things are pretty slow at work;

genie1: It could be something as simple as the pads being worn down. I'd check them, just to be sure.

Moonroof: I use mine regularly. It's great for cooling the car before getting into it.

Memory seat: With 12 different adjustments, not having it would bother me. It took over a year to setup my current driving position, and I'd hate to lose it.

Color: For me, red is a little too flashy. I prefer to blend into the back ground while driving on the HWY. M3 is a different story however.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Heck I've had mine since early March and I now have over 14,000 on it. That's 14,000 in less than 6 months. :)

I apologize for the err on the SP for the xi. Still handles great. :)

-Paul
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Dave, welcome back. Hadn't seen/heard from you in a while. Been rackin' up the miles?

-Paul
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    Welcome back!! We missed you, bud! What have been up to? You disappeared right around the start of the World Cup - I thought you might have gone to watch it over there...
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    I sold my Miata today and we went out to dinner in the bimmer tonight. I was careful in my selection of a parking space -- stayed well away from any SUVs. I finally parked next to a 325CI. When we came out, though, an SUV had replaced it. :(

Sometimes it seems you can win for losing. My wife's 7 month old, heretofore immaculate Accord V6 was bumped sometime in the last 24 hours. The bumper will have to be repainted. :(
  • maransmmaransm Posts: 29
    Thanks for all your replies for my questions and your expert suggestions..

Finally, I am considering 2003 325xi, Automatic, silver/black leatherette, SP, CWP, wood trim and xenon.

Questions:
    1. PP costs $2700. If I choose separately,
    Moonroof - 1050
    Wood Trim - 500
    Onboard Comp- 500
    ---------
    ---------
    Am I saving 650 here? What am I missing?

2. SP comes with power seats with memory right?
    3. If I want to go for PP, do I HAVE to go for leather?
    4. What is exact invoice price for 325xi?
    5. Anyone here in & around Colorado who got a good deal? Any good dealers around?
    6. If I order this month, when would I get delivery?

Help please!! Sorry for too many questions..
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    I think you'll find that the PP comes with stuff beyond your three items and/or the cost of the items and PP changes based on what accessories you have chosen. BMW is pretty careful to get the packages to work out to be about the same as ala carte.

I don't know about xi, but on the i and ci, the SP does not include the power seats. If you look at the fine print, you'll see that the power seats mentioned in the SP option package says "if power seat or premium pkg ordered".

If invoice prices are not up here yet, you can alway just ratio last year's invoice to MSRP and be close enough to 2003 rations. Or they're bimmer.org:

bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/pricing/2003/2003_325.pdf

It's all pretty academic anyway - my guess is that for a fall order of a new model year xi in Colorado, you're going to be paying MSRP or very close to it. If you can get $1K off MSRP, you're probably doing very well.

Good luck.

- Mark
  • maransmmaransm Posts: 29
    Thanks for all your replies for my questions and your expert suggestions..

Finally, I am considering 2003 325xi, Automatic, silver/black leatherette, SP, CWP, wood trim and xenon.

Questions:
    1. PP costs $2700. If I choose separately,
    Moonroof - 1050
    Wood Trim - 500
    Onboard Comp- 500
    ---------
    ---------
    Am I saving 650 here? What am I missing?

2. SP comes with power seats with memory right?
    3. If I want to go for PP, do I HAVE to go for leather?
    4. What is exact invoice price for 325xi?
    5. Anyone here in & around Colorado who got a good deal? Any good dealers around?
    6. If I order this month, when would I get delivery?

Help please!! Sorry for too many questions..
  • In the past I have always done a traditional auto loan on my BMWs. I am now considering a lease since I usually drive them a couple of years and move on. I plan to purchase a 2003 330i. Can anyone give me some advice on negotiating a lease? I am looking for money factors and residual values. I would consider purchasing some leasing software if anyone has any recommendations. Appreciate any help you can provide...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...elsewhere in this site. Start there.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    The Edmunds homepage has many articles about leasing.

The higher a vehicle's residual value (as a percentage of original cost) means that on paper the lease should cost you less because you're using it less. More expensive vehicles cost more to lease, of course.

Weigh it carefully though-- a high residual also means the vehicle will have a high resale value. That could mean that you could buy it and sell again and perhaps expend even less money than with a lease. You'd have to leverage more of your money than with a lease though...

Bah. That's enough, there are lease-specific topics in other conferences here in TownHall too.

-Colin
  • abcnycabcnyc Posts: 101
    It's been almost 100 degrees here in MD for Aug, so this seems to be a premature question. But I would like some suggestions on winter tires. I have a 2002 330i with SP. I was initially considering going with 205/50-17 winter tires and wheels to match the non-sport 330 configuration. I figured the narrower tires would help me get through the snow. I am now thinking about going with 225/45-17 winter tires and wheels to match the 325 SP configuration. I thought the wider winter tires would keep the sporty ride while providing better traction than the summer tires in snow. We don't get a lot of snow in MD. Any suggestions ? Narrow tires for better handling in snow or compromise with wider tires for better dry handling ?
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    first suggestion-- get 16" rims and tires, assuming there are 16" rims that will clear your 330's brakes. pretty sure there are, and there's no reason besides risking an expensive wheel to run 17" in the winter. wait, there is one-- vanity. I drive my BMW more than I wear it, sorry.

next suggestion, use a 205/55-16 winter tire. you can get one that's dry-road biased in that size if you're concerned about the squirmy feel a hardcore winter tire like a Blizzak MZ-02 would have. the Blizzak LM22 would be a good choice for that.

-Colin
  • I'm taking my stock 17", all season tires through the entire winter (i'm in MN). I hope i make it alive!! I have the xi, i hope that helps a little.
  • Interesting discussion! I have always driven FWD cars for their better performance in the winter as I travel from NJ to VT frequently and have had to call AAA numerous times to have cars put back on the road after they've been unable to make the hill on my driveway. Has the addition of traction control and stability control helped the 3 series ability to perform in winter conditions.
  • After one and half years visiting this board, I finally put an order today for the 2003 325i. I will become an owner of bmw soon. Thanks for everyone here for all the advice and information. I got PP, SP, Xeron, Leather, TSilver/black w/ 1650 off MSRP, no processing/tag fee, german production. Deal also includes the mats. I assume will get it on mid Oct.
  • bmwedbmwed Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 323CI and want to have a trunk mounted 6 CD Changer installed. The local BMW dealer quoted $865 which seems very expensive. A local auto sound shop quoted $392 for a Pioneer Changer but they indicated that they would have to remove the stereo and various panels to connect the changer. The car is pre-wired which I assumed means that the wires run to the trunk area. If so, then the sound shop does not know what they are talking about and I don't want them messing around on my car. I am pretty sure that the previous owner had a CD Changer installed but removed it when he sold the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    You should be able to get the "factory" changer from places like pacificbmw.com for about $450 - you just bolt it in, hook it up, and it works. The wiring is just stuffed behind panels and is easy to get to, provided the PO didn't screw something up. The changer will come with directions.

Avoid the sound shops unless you're interested in going non-OEM system. They probably just want to sell the non-factory systems they're familiar with.

- Mark
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    markjenn is right; it is a very easy diy job. DON'T pay over $450-$500(including the installation kit)- and it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes to install.
  • So, I sent my 11 year-old off to camp this weekend. Woke up early Saturday morning, realized we were temporarily childless, looked at Soverypoor wife, looked at the 330i and thought one thing -- road trip. So, I ran out, quickly washed the bimmer, re-Klassed all forward facing, bug attracting surfaces, grabbed Soverypoorwife and headed spur-of-the-moment to Las Vegas.
    Now, those of us who have driven from So Cal to Las Vegas know all that is the 15 Freeway. Long, straight, middle of nowhere for about 230 miles (at least from my house). I had never done the trip in anything more powerful than a 318ti. Boy, does having the 330 change everything. Need to zip around someone? Slide the step over into manual, pop it down to 4th or even 3rd depending on the need and ZOOM! Slow moving trucks? No problem. Getting bored? Yippeeee! Even found one completely open space on a divided portion where I was able to set a new personal land speed record of 110 mph, held for a total of about 5 seconds before sense prevailed. Otherwise, we averaged 80 mph and at a surprising 28 mpg. Sunroof open, radio blaring, early morning in the open desert. It was awesome. And that, my new and possibly- relating friends, is why my 330i doesn't suck.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I miss SoCal. Used to live in Newport Beach. Remember those road trip days though. :)