Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,124
    I dropped into a local dealer on Saturday with a friend of mine to check out the new 745i (It caught our eye driving by). I found it interesting that on the showroom floor was a 325i sedan with Steel Blue, Sand Leather, & Steptronic Transmission. The sticker on this car was $30K & change. I've never seen one equipped with so few options on a dealer floor. My thoughts on the new 7 series are for another board.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Any E46 sunroof problems have been minor. Sunroof cars are easier to sell, and also bring a premium on a trade. That said, I prefer a Bimmer without a sunroof; why add weight to the highest point in the car? As you might guess, my primary concern is street/track performance- I leave the bean counting consequences to others. That said, if you are going to keep your car less than five years, have the hole cut in the roof, as it will make the sled easier to unload when the time comes.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,124
    At the same dealership I noticed a few 328i's with lots of goodies in exceptional condition for around the 30K mark (CPO Sticker). I like Steel Blue now.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• derprofiderprofi Posts: 249
    I guess a nice buzz cut and removing any baseball caps, earrings, sunglasses, etc. also helps in that area too? ;-)

But hey, NOW I finally understand why all those kids driving their coffee-can-tipped "Type-R" Civics recline their seats back so far... It's really to keep the center of gravity low and improve handling.

Seriously, I personally prefer having NO roof, but if that's not an option I'm sold on sunroofs from now on. I also haven't heard of any real problems with the factory sunroofs in the E46.
  • tenet1tenet1 Posts: 354
    Many people never use them. But when I was zipping around in DC/VA this weekend, I had it open and it was great. I have had them in all my cars over the last 10 years, and they are a must have for me. It is just great during the nice sunny days. However, I doubt they do anything to the performance of the car.

Either way, I'd love this car even if it didn't have a single option in it. The sound of the engine is enough for me.
    Sounds fishy.

Ask the dealer that they pay for you to get the emissions tested indepedantly if they deny this. Or ask that they show you a complete record of the problem and a fix if they confirm this car had a problem. Dont dump your money into something that could be a problem.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    A nice feature for me is i can pop mine open in vent mode when the car is parked. This keeps the sitting temperature in the sun lower than it'd otherwise be, and it also vents the car out if i leave my gym bag in there. :)

dave
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    There was a recall on the therm that could effect the emmissions, if it would cause it to fail a test im not sure, good luck..

DL
  • Many thanks to all who gave their comments regarding a sunroof. I still have a couple of days to make up my mind. The sunroof option is $1490 CDN here in Canada and when speaking with the sales person today, they did mention that the vehicle is a little less quiet with the sunroof installed. Having never had a sunroof and planning on keeping the car for a relatively long time, it is hard to decide whether it is worth the $1490. Thanks again
  • raavirraavir Posts: 64
    I would get it, cause I like to have some light in my car.
  • mschukarmschukar Posts: 351
    Having never had a sunroof and planning on keeping the car for a relatively long time, it is hard to decide whether it is worth the $1490

I also debated on the sunroof option. If you plan on keeping the car for several years, you'll forget about the cost of the sunroof, but you'll still get the benefits as long as you own the car. For example, I don't remember how much we paid for our now 5 year old Volvo, but I do enjoy the sunroof, leather seats and other options we put in.

One added benefit to the sunroof-you can open all the windows and the sunroof with your key fob. I look forward to a 90 degree day when I can point my key out the window 5 minutes to 5:00 to help cool the car down.

-Murray
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Thinking the Canadian dollar trading in 60-70 US cent range. So sunroof might only cost $950-1,000 US. I'd go with sunroof if it doesn't adversely impact your headroom considerations. Think most buyers in this range looking for one. And they are just plain fun on a nice day!
  • Tenet, Shipo, Brave, Derprofi and others: Ever hear of someone ordering a car with NO options? The dealer thinks I'm crazy, but I'm interested in a bone stock 325i 5 speed in red or black with black leatherette. I love this car. The engine and transmission are works of art. And hey, I really am a clergy person and I don't want to drive anything gaudy. At $27,745 its priced under a lot of SUVs and its in the range of the Passats I've driven. Tenet1, you said you'd buy a 3'er with NO options. Do you mean it? Will I regret this 5 years down the line? And hey, direct me to some pics of Electric Red. The website colors make me feel like I've been on a long, strange trip. Thanks.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    parsonguy... When I looked at buying a base, no- option 323i a few years ago, the dealer was willing to do it but only as a special order and only if I put money down. Essentially non-refundable if they got me what I asked for. If you got the money and will put it with your order form, guessing you can get whatever you are willing to pay for. (I ended up not being too keen on plastic seats, steel wheel covers, flat/non-metallic paint, and no cruise control. A stripped 323i/325i can seem pretty bare.)
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    Allow me to add one dissenting opinion on sunroofs. I've had two, and while I like them, I wouldn't pay $1,400 for one. Mine came as part of packages with things I really do like, like Auto-climate control and memory seats.

I find that I use mine very sparingly. It is great on a 65-70 degree day, with intermittent sun. On a really hot or sunny day, they allow the sun to beat down on you (especially if you have dark interior), and I think, make the car even hotter. If you use the AC and keep the shade open, the sun coming through the glass makes the AC work very hard. When the temp is below 60, it is usually too cold to keep it open, and in winter, you can't use it because of rain, snow, or tire spray from the cars on the wet roads in front of you. Also, if you drive through tunnels or under bridges regularly, you'd be surprised what nasty stuff falls into your car (did I mention bird droppings?).

I find that I keep mine closed nearly 90% of the time, and I rarely open the shade unless the glass is open. In summary, I'd get it if money was no issue,...but I don't think they're very useful unless you live in a perfect climate. Some people absolutely love them, though, and would pick a sunroof as their first option. To each his own, I guess.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    If you live in a hot climate, it's great help in cooling the car down before you get in. If you autox, you can use the vent option to give you that extra down force. ;-)
    If the pure driving experience is what is important to you, then hell yeah, get a BMW with no options. The comparison between a stripped 325 vs 323 is not fair. A lot of things come standard with the 325. I have had mine for 4 months and it drives like a dream and all I really care about is the sound of this car. I am too busy driving and lloking for when I can downshift into the next twisty turn.

Although I have quite a few options on mine I could certainly get one without them if that is what I needed (although I would miss the Xenons). People on this board are happy with Leatherette and the manual tranny is the way to go with this car. The Premium package is nice but if you can live without the moon roof, wood, and onboard computer, then why not. The standard non-SP wheels are nice and the regular suspension seems good enough for me. Plus this car comes with a CD now. If you plan on keeping this car for a long time then get it your way and don’t worry about resale value. Remember, you are buying the car for yourself and not someone 5 years from now. Someone is sure to buy it. From the outside, your car will look exactly the same as any other non-SP car without Xenons. The dealer will understandably want a larger deposit (not necessarily) since most buyers probably want a few options.

Go with Black.
  • jfedor1jfedor1 Posts: 39
    I love the sunroof, and use it all the time, unless its really hot or really cold. I use it in the winter and turn on the heated seats. I just love opening it up when cruising down the road.

As far as a bare bone bimmer goes thats not a bad choice...you get a lot more in a bare bones bimmer now than you did in the 323 or 325 01' models. You still get cruse control and CD.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Sure at $28K you should get a pretty loaded car. Does BMW understand the term VALUE?