Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jk26jk26 Posts: 27
    If I remember right someone posted earlier that the PP invoice is now $2275 and MSRP for it is $2700. Are these numbers correct??? Thanks, just want to have the facts when I go in to order my new 325.

-jk
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Posts: 861
    Yep. Lots of people do use leases to get more car than they otherwise could. That doesn't make leasing bad, though (like some people would say), it just makes those people not very smart with money. I would look at the same cars regardless of lease or purchase and then decide which is the best way to get one.
  • goody4goody4 Posts: 55
    At the end of financing your 300k home, you at least have something to show for it. Leasing, to me, seems like a life-long, perpetual car payment. When your three-year "rent" is done, you get to buy or lease another vehicle.
    But if you get a new car every 3 years or so as I do, it doesn't matter if you lease or finance (unless you finance for 3 years, in which case your payments are astronomical, even on a $25k car), you still have that payment.
  • bmwbuyerbmwbuyer Posts: 14
    Would someone who understands how to calculate a lease please help with the following situation?

I was quoted $38,700 on a 330i with a money factor of .0021 and a residual of 65%. How do I figure out what the lease payment should be (with zero down) on a 36-month lease?

Thanks!
  • wlpostonwlposton Posts: 11
    I just got my BOW 325i this week. On the first
    when ever I put the car in reverse (manual transmission) I hear bees like when a truck
    backs up letting you know the distance of anything
    behind you. Now I do not hear the bees when I
    back up the car. Is there a feature to switch
    this function off and on?
  • wlpostonwlposton Posts: 11
    I have a 325i. I would like to know if anyone
    had there keys programmed when they picked
    there up?
  • jamesf5jamesf5 Posts: 11
    Buy what u want and only what u want. I had some dealers tell me that for a base car (cough,cough, and look the other way) that they would not move from MSRP. Later that same day their sales manager would e-mail with an offer of $800 off MSRP. I just e-mailed or called dealers. I did not even go in. I learned that I had to tell them "I want a 2001.5 steel blue 325i with sand leatherette, myrtle wood and cd player. I am not interested in any other color and I don't want to see a sunroof". Know the List and invoice prices of the options. I listed the car I wanted along with the options I wanted and the invoice prices. the more options the more they can move in price. But don't settle for MSRP even if you order a base car.
    What is the MSRP? The 38,700 is the purchase price, right? Give me the MSRP and I can tell you.

If you're nice, I'll even show you how to do it :)
  • erricksonerrickson Posts: 130
    Can anyone help provide info on dollars off of msrp for dealerships? I will buy from anywhere in the US (almost). I am interested in a 325, and I live in Houston, Texas. Most of the dealerships here have an attitude, and say they don't have to sell below msrp. I tell them to go-for-it, and walk out. They offer to add things like tinting, mats, but that's it. Please let me know if I am out in left field on this one, and please share your experiences! Thanks!!!!
  • www.cuttermotors.com/bmw

Ask for Jon Shafer. He is offering a special on the 325 sedan for $$$$ off MSRP. Get the phone number off their website. Good luck.
  • dka1dka1 Posts: 1
    Langley2-
    Not sure what you added into your $30,890 cost. I just purchased a 2001 325i steel grey (it looks AWESOME), black leather, premium pkg, CD, mats included for $30,224 + d&h $645 + tax. Hope this helps you figure out whether you got a good deal.
    mmcbride1 -

the msrp on the car is $40,100

thanks for the help
    OK
    MSRP - 40,100
    Cap Cost - $38,700
    Residual - 65% of MSRP, or $26,065
    Money factor - .0021

To figure the payments, there are two parts. First, figure the monthly depreciation. Take the cap cost, subtract the residual and divide the result by the number of months on the lease. So the depreciation per month would be 38,700 - 26,065 = 12,365 / 36 = $350.97/month.

The interest is calculated as follows: Add the cap cost and residual and multiply by the money factor. This gives you the interest per month. So 38,700 + 26,065 = 64,765 * .0021 = $136/month.

So, using the numbers you gave me, the monthly payment would be $487 per month before taxes. Sounds like a great deal. The MF of .0021 is equal to only 5% interest.
    I will take this new information to the dealer to inquire why I was not offered that payment!
  • rascal8rascal8 Posts: 54
    Ok, I'll bite. Here goes. My personal philosophy is to buy a quality vehicle with all the options you will need or want (i.e. buy for the long haul), take care of your vehicle, endear yourself to it and it should take car of you as the saying goes. Then one day, voila, no car payments! That's right, it's like driving a free car. It's not expense free with the occassional repair, fuel and insurance but the mega auto loan IS gone. I tried it with my last car and it worked out quite well - no car payments for 5 years. Really.
    The problem some see with leases is it fuels the "consumer treadmill". Buyers are happy - they get more car than they can afford (some not all). Dealers are happy - consumers getted "hosed" without really knowing (the average American consumer will not "crunch numbers" since they are not that highly educated) and they come back in 3 years for a new product, the manufacturers are happy, the banks are happy, etc. It keeps the economic machine going. So, personally I am glad we've got them. They are just not for me. I think they work out very well for some people though. Just my thoughts. Flame away people.
  • platypusplatypus Posts: 192
    Being a Texas resident, I also found that the local dealers were not very willing to negotiate. You may want to try Garlyn Shelton Imports in Temple. I have heard that they are probably the best of the Texas dealers in terms of discounting.

I ended up ordering a car from a dealer on the east coast through BMW's Euro Delivery Program. The savings were significant, and I decided that it was a great way to bundle a vaction at the same time. Picking up in Munich on April 25!!!

Best of luck with your search!
    I will take this new information to the dealer to inquire why I was not offered that payment!
    I agree. For you, buying is best. Your post was well thought-out and rational. Cars are just something I like and I'm willing to spend a little more $ to drive a new one every 3 years. No, it's not the smartest thing to do, but I don't care (the smartest thing would be to buy a 2 year-old economy car and drive it into the ground for 10-15 years). Going out to dinner isn't the smartest thing to do, either, but lots of people do that several times per month (often spending several hundred dollars per month), and nobody seems to bat an eye.

bmwbuyer - glad I could help. If the dealer's numbers are different from yours, make them show you how they got to their numbers. Either they're using a higher cap cost (negotiated price), or they are inflating the money factor.