Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• eagleeye3eagleeye3 Posts: 44
    Hello -

Waiting for my 325i (premium & sport) to arrive and trying to accomplish the little things ahead of time. I remember reading somewhere that the std exhaust that comes with the 325i was not visually pleasing and people recommended buying BMW chrome exhaust tips. Is this true? How much should I expect to pay? Are they easy to install? Please advise... Thanks
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    "Let me understand this...because you have seen only 2 Pacifica's, that makes the vehicle a blunder??"

I guarantee you won't find many Pacifica near the Pacific.

Who the hell had the nerve to use such name on a dorky-looking car? Have you seen a Japanese or Australian car stylings this crude or un-finished/polished?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Let me understand this...because you have seen only 2 Pacifica's, that makes the vehicle a blunder??

Yes. I drive 90 miles a day in so cal just for work - I tend to see a wide swath of cars. Heck, this week I drove to Vegas and not a Pacifica to be seen. If you're not selling in california, the biggest car market in the US, then your product is a bust. Of course beyond that bit of simple logic is the fact mopar admitted to the Pacifica not selling when they released the decontented version and offered major incentives on it.
    Someone was talking about speed limiters on Bimmers. I know for a fact my ZHP will do over 128 now. :)
  • scottlpscottlp Posts: 21
    Wow--amazing footage. Really gives you a feel what it's like being in a racing car. Thanks!
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    Yes, they're easy to install. Just a very firm shove; friction fit. Your dealer can sell you a pair for around $50, or you can save a little money and go through one of the major dealer websites....
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Thanks! However the real thanks go to Memphis10, he is the one who came up with the video, I just provided some FTP space on my UnixWare box. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jfedor1jfedor1 Posts: 39
    I have a 2001 325i, is the shark injector worth it. My car is completely stock, but it would be nice to get a little performance increase.
    The shark injector looks like and easy choice.

thanks

Josh
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    I also live in so. Cal and drive about 150-200 miles a day. I not only own a Pacifica, but I see at least 3-4 a day. As per autosite.com, sales volume for March 2004 for the Pacifica was 8,552 units. Compare that to the same period sales for the X5 of 2,404 units or the new VW Toureg of 2,137 units or even the sales for the same period of 3 series which was 6,219 units and as you have stated, you can't turn a corner here in so. Cal without seeing a 3 series. Trust me, you will be seeing a lot more Pacifica's on the road.

Daimler-Chrysler's marketing has always sucked. They blew the rollout of the pacifica not because of the decontented model, but because of the fact that the initial rollout was all fully loaded models. There were no decontented models available at first.

Out of curiousity, can you point me to where you got the information you state above as "fact"?

As far as the incentives go, it worked great for me. I leased with a locked in 53% residual and a money factor of .001625 (3.9%). While the incentives hurt the buyer's resale, it only helped me get a better deal. Who cares if Chrysler is buying back my lease at the end? at the end of the lease, it's their problem.

This is not the proper forum to debate your extrememly insightful methodology of what makes a good vehicle.

Now let's get back to the regularly scheduled programming.
    The only way I could see more than 1 pacifica a week - drive near a mopar dealer. Last year in april they sold 1800 of them. The last thing I read about the minivan indicated that it was in need of serious subsidies from Mopar - like all Mopar products. Apparently sales have picked up. Just haven't seen any evidence of it on the road. Maybe it's rental fleet sales?

BTW, I never said a word about the Touring Egg or the X5 - both are lousy vehicles in my opinion too.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,029
    I put the chrome tips on mine about 3 months ago. There are two of them and they were $17/each. They slide on, but there is a little screw on the bottom to tighten it to the existing pipe.

It can be a little hard sometimes to get them as far back on the pipe as they are supposed to go. If you aren't handy, your dealer would probably charge about $30-$40 labor to do the job. If you want to know what they look like ahead of time, look at any 330i.

But... now that I have them on, it is just about the only chrome piece on the car. The 325i has almost all black trim, where the 330i has chrome. They also make a black sport exhaust tip, that is about the same price.. and I wish now that I had put those on instead. Not that the chrome look bad, though.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

From what I read on other forums, the shark helps with throttle response from rest, and removes the rev limiter. Other than that, most buyers were underwhelmed. In general, no improvement in 0-60 times.

If your throttle response doesn't bother you, I wouldn't spend the money.

regards,
    kyfdx

• hgeyerhgeyer Posts: 188
    I've decided to add a cold air intake to my Father's Day wish list.

Could someone recommend a decent system for a 2002 E46 330i that is relatively simple to install.

Thanks.
  • jasondjasond Posts: 28
    I shall be taking my 2003 BMW 330xi back to the dealership for the first oil change at the end of the first year after purchase. Apart from the oil change, they just apparently check the brakes and the tire pressure. Are there any other items that I should ask them to check? Are there any other matters that need attention even if I have to pay to have them done? I have a low mileage on the car, i.e., fewer than 5,000 miles. Thanks, Jason
  • hgeyerhgeyer Posts: 188
    Make sure that they change the micro-filter (internal cabin air filter).
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    That is part of the 15K service checkup. When I brought mine in for the 15K, all I asked for was the service. They did everything, including the microfilters and washed the car.

I'm about to take her in for an early one year oil change. The only thing I'm going to ask them to check is the A/C. I have a feeling it needs a boost. Every car I've ever owned since the mid-90's has needed a boost after a few years (including the Japanese models). I attribute it to the new refrigerant and engineering.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 337
    I think one tip is to make sure to install them when the car is cold (so the pipes are not expanded from heat) and to spray on some WD-40.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    Not sure what model-year your car is, but they changed somewhere down the line. I know that for a 2004 325i, the part number is 18-10-7-500-194. List price is $24.00 each and I paid $19.20 each from Crevier BMW (via mail order)plus shipping. These do not have a screw to tighten; only tangs inside the back of the pipe to "bite" and hold them on.
    My mistake..mine is an '03.

I like the black ones, though.

regards,
    kyfdx

• butmywife1butmywife1 Posts: 26
    Hi folks. I'm thinking of trading in my '02 325xi for an '04 model with many stand-alone options instead of going the package route. I went to Steve Diamond's Eurobuyer site to look at the "confidential" price lists but the text is so small and blurry I can't read it. I tried increasing the text size, etc, but it distorts it.
    Any suggestions on how I might solve this problem? Does anybody know another site with similar info?

Thanks,
    ButMyWife
    Two choices:

1. download the pdf to your disk drive and open it.

2. If you have a version of adobe that's 4 or before, get the latest one. You should be able to enlarge the size of the image easily with adobe 5.
  • hanover2hanover2 Posts: 1
    I have been a Toyota Camry owner(95 LE camry coupe) for 10 years. After a friend insisted that I drive his 2002 manual 325 XI/with sports package, I think I want to get one ASAP. The driving experience was quite exhilarating.
    A dealer is selling a 2004 gray manual 325 CI (coupe) with sports package, HID lights, heated seats, moonroof for 33 K. Several questions:Is this a reasonable price(I plan to pay cash)? I do like the sleek shape of the coupe. Any coupe "quirks" I should watch out for? I plan to keep it for more than 6 years. I dont expect it to last as long as my Camry but I hope it remains trouble free for the next 5 years or so.
    Thanks.
    What's the msrp? That'll determine if it's a good price.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    "After a friend insisted that I drive his 2002 manual 325 XI/with sports package, I think I want to get one ASAP. The driving experience was quite exhilarating.
    A dealer is selling a 2004 gray manual 325 CI (coupe) with sports package..."

The AWD xi has even longer springs than the non-sport 325i sedan. The 325ci has shorter & firmer springs/shocks than the non-sport 325i sedan, even w/ std 16" wheels.

So test the 325ci's ride comfort before you decide.

If it's the sport seats rather than the whole sport package you really need. The sport seats are $550 on special order. Another $450 for the 4-way pwr lumbar.
    The invoice price on an '04 325xi is approx $2500 less than the base MSRP. There is a better site to view the pdf files, but I'm not allowed to link it here. The options invoice prices tend to be about 91% of MSRP if that is any help.

regards,
    kyfdx

Kyfdx and Bluedotguy: Thanks for the info. I just noticed that while Eurobuyers used to post "confidential wholesale prices" they now are posting the suggested retail prices which are available many places.

kyfdx:Is there anyway you can email me the link you referred to? If not, where might I find the good 'ol "confidential wholesale price" list these days? It sure helped me bargain back in '02 when I bought the Bimmer.

Uh oh, I just realized I'm dependent on that list. . .

ButMyWife
    You would have to make your e-mail public, in your profile.

Oops! You're right. "Town Hall" advises against it for privacy reasons. Is there any way you can direct me to the site without creating a link?
    ButMyWife
    Not without violating Edmunds' rules. If you google bimmer forums and bmw forums, you can find some other good websites..

• m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    its kinda weird how they have black trims for USspec 325is, euro and asian market 325is come w/ standard chrome trims, incl. chrome exhaust tips and std 17" wheels (for asian market, im not sure about the eurospec)

btw my gf got a deal for her bimmer, 2003 steel blue on gray 325i, auto, premium pkg and heated seats, HID and 17" wheels, 10k miles, clean w/o any scratches for $25k, what do u guys think? is it a good deal?