Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hehe, I wonder how many you will rope in with this one. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    I just called my dealer and told him im not interested in any L330i ;)
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    I believe in email, but for some dealers it is hard to get the email of the CORRECT person at the dealership -- someone in the Internet Sales Department (and some dealerships still don't have such a deparment). If you can't get the email of the IS Department, find out if the dealership has a website. If so, they will usually have an email form in there -- fill it out but expect that the response to it will be a little slow -- anywhere from a day to a week. The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll call in and ask for the Internet Department's email and the receptionist (for reasons of her own) will give you the email of a regular (perhaps her favorite?) floor salesman. He won't be able to give you the kind of deal you're looking for.

I would recommend you go to the dealership you would find most convenient to get service from and take your test drive(s) there. Then, after you've got the best email deal, give that salesman the chance to match -- he probably won't be able to, but at least you'll have a clean conscience about using his time.
  • mlmurraymlmurray Posts: 5
    Thanks,

That seems like a sane and reasoned approach.

-Mark
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    rotfl... keep 'em coming!!
  • hippo168hippo168 Posts: 115
    don't forget the fold down dvd/tv combo, which is also connected to the latest game consoles of your choice!
  • sjmurray2sjmurray2 Posts: 65
    What is the going discount when ordering one of these cars? Looking to purchase a 325Cic with Step, PP, heated seats, and Leather. Is $1200 off MSRP reasonable? I am in Virginia. I know about ED, but do not want to go that route.

Opinions welcome on Harmon Kardon, Step, and Leather too. I hear the HK is not worth the upgrade and that the leatherette may be better in a ragtop! I would prefer the Manual, but wife may have to drive once in a while.

Not many ragtops on the lots in Virginia, but there are a quite a few that can be built to specification for August delivery.

Thanks.
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    The lease prices I've been quoted from BMW Financial were in the neighborhood of $535.00/mo for the following car/deal:

325i, PP, Xenon, HK, Steptronic, no metallic paint (electric red). MSRP $33,095. Paid about $32,150.

36 mo, 12,000 mile lease, with $2,000 upfront cash. Please remember, BMW Financial requires first month's payment, a security deposit equal to one month's payment rounded up to the next $50, and an acquisition fee of about $500. My down payment offer only put about $500 toward lowering the finance amount.

Bottom line: If you end up financing at or over $30,000, expect to pay over $500/mo to lease. Also, 4-year leases through BMWNA cost more than 3-year (they apparently want the car back having been fully maintained, and with a year of warranty left).

I haven't actually finalized financing yet, because my car isn't here, but I'll be using my credit union's neo-lease program, called "MAPS". It has no acquisition, security deposit, or 1st mo payment required, plus no excess wear and tear clause. The whole upfront money goes toward reducing your loan amount. This savings is partially offset by the need to pay sales tax on the whole car (but there is then no lease tax), and a slightly lower residual (57% vs 60%), but in the end, the payments will be slightly lower, and having no wear and tear clause is big. If you have access to such a program, do a serious comparo. You might find its a better deal than BMWNA.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    Congratulations on your cars! I will be purchasing soon too.
    I don't have my car, yet, so every thought is going thru my head. I'm having a little bit of buyers remorse about not getting real leather. I drove both, and the extra $1,400 was not doable, so I won't change my order. I did a ton of research on this, and felt totally comfortable about the leatherette when I placed the order, so I'll stick with my initial decision. I do think the black 'ette looks more like real leather than the tan. And, the 'ette doesn't come in brown, which is a beautiful interior combo.

The HK is worth it IMO. I listened to both, and if you have an ear for fidelity, you will definitely notice the extra sound reproduction range of the system and speakers. The base system killed my jazz music.

Don't sweat the step. It is very smooth, and seems tailored to the power band of the 325. It also has a sport mode and is fun in manual mode. I got it. Hell, MOST people get it. Its not a substitute for a manual, though, so don't kid yourself on that. Its a little expensive. I would have liked to save the $1,275, but I have the same convenience/wife issues as you. Manuals are hell with a cell phone.

You better have a strong constitution, though, if you plan to hang around here - these guys are merciless on cars w/out manual and SP.
  • Day 1:
    Took delivery. Salesman said a lot of orientation-type things. I heard none. I was on sensory overload. Just kept looking at the car. Thinking "Gimme the keys. Gimme the keys." Got the keys. Like holding a newborn baby. Afraid to break it. Drive carefully everywhere I go. More nervous than joyful.

Day 2:
    Walk into garage. See new car. Still seems like someone else's. "My, that's a pretty car," I think. "Hey, that's mine!" Still nervous, but having a little more fun. Getting on freeway a much more exhilarating experience. The permanent smile begins.

Day 3:
    Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaa! That's my car! It sinks in. Couldn't sleep the night before because I was so anxious to get up and drive to work. I completely understand those that say driving their bimmer is like therapy. It so is. Sit inside with the black lthr interior, "metal" trim and nav. Beautifully simple and elegant. Heck, I don't even care if the nav system works, it looks awesome with this combo. With smile plastered on my face I get on the freeway with glee. 4500 RPM comes so quickly. Too quickly. Must take 1,134-mile road trip soon. Get rid of this darned break-in period.

Day 4:
    Today. Went to bed with visions of my car in my head. Woke up with that silly grin. Can't wait to go some more. Planning trips to the mountains, the beach (one of the good things about SoCal), anywhere. What am I doing here sitting at my computer? Gotta go...
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    LOL...yep that about describes it :)
  • ddblueddblue Posts: 117
    Brave: Yep, I do have to shift into 3rd at 58/59 mph. I am just shy of the rev limiter, too. Despite that, I couldn't be happier with my 325Ci. 16K miles and it runs like a dream.

BTW, whatever happened to that offer by a poster to host a website where we could post photos? I would love to see shots of your 3.
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    You know, don't you, that you can see photos of Brave's (and others) cars at the BMW 3-Series Owners: Photo Gallery?
    What's better than shots of my car is a shot of 5 BMW's at the autoX waiting eagerly for the next run. Shtroumpf is in the middle.

At the AutoX

Click above for a closer look
    According to the BMW Owner's Circle, my 325i is "Awaiting Transport". I assume this means its sitting in a warehouse in South Africa waiting to be trucked to a boat. Actually, the SA thing doesn't bother me anymore - its kind of exotic. I've been to Europe twice - never seen Africa.

About how long did it take for your cars to arrive after they went into "Awaiting Transport" stage? Anyone with an SA build who can comment?
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    I hope I hear the dealer explanations tomorrow. I might be on sensory overload too. No plans for road trip but work has been hard & it would be so nice to get away with new car. Dealer says its better to sign all papers THEN go over the car but to me that seems wrong wrong wrong.
    Beautiful car. Your's is the blue one to the right of the 330 w/"523" on it, right?

It looks like you have different (and IMO) much nicer wheels with your 2001 SP than those that are available on the 2002 SP. Its hard to tell for sure in the photo, though. I like the base 2002 325 wheels better than the 2002 325 SP, but I love your wheels. And the "M" wheels on the 330i SP - awesome.
    I'm aware that there are a few programming customizations that have to be done to the car after the dealer receives it. Things like whether the lights blink on locking, whether the car locks automatically after pull out, etc..

Did you guys have this done prior to pick-up, or did the dealer discuss this with you when you arrived? I'm tempted to get on the web site owner's manual, find out what my options are, and write a memo to my dealer in advance of my cars arrival, telling him how I want it programmed.

Did any of you do something similar? How do you think it would be received?
    Correct. Thanks. The "M" wheels on the 330 to the left of my car are much more aggressive; the Star 44 wheels on my car are classier, though (imo, of course). I thought the '02 325i SP's wheels are very similar to the '01 model's - aren't they also 7-spoke?