Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tenet1tenet1 Posts: 354
    I purchased from BMW of Arlington and did not pay a MACO fee. I really did my homework so I know that I paid over dealer invoice and not over some manipulated number. The only unexpected charge was a local dealer license fee (a tiny % of selling price) that was already a line item on the dealer Bill of Sale and was something like $95. I can look it up if you are interested.

I was unimpressed by Passport because their service wasn't quite as good and they were proced higher.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    “Was the Owners Circle information timely?” Ummmmmmm, NO! I took delivery of my car on 23-May-2002, however, Owners’ Circle STILL to this day shows my car at the VPC!

In my case, my car hit the port on 15-May-2002, made it to my dealership on 22-May-2002 and I took delivery a day later. In my book, that means that your delivery is imminent. Keep us posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Well, young padawan, you've been to the "dark side" but the power of the BMW Jedi overcame. :)

Yes, I saw Star Wars. :) hehehe

-Paul
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Are you awaiting Germany to order a car ?or conceed to a TX dealer ? Sorry the S didnt work out.

Dale: i dont buy it either, and due to said "coverups" i would not recommend Moritz in Arlington.The customer service is good , but not sure where the mechanics come from.

DL
  • JingleJillJingleJill Posts: 120
    Yeah, we are still awaiting word on a possible transfer to Germany. If I am patient, I can get a GREAT deal once in Germany.

Thus, there is my problem. I'm not patient. "I want it now!!!" (Remember the famous line from Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory?)

I called Garyln Shelton in Bryan (I originally bought there when it was Fred Brown) and they offered me $400 off MSRP. I laughed. Then he said to call him back with an offer. I haven't done that yet.

I then contacted Park Avenue in NJ (all via e-mail) and their prices are very fair.

I then sent a "match-it or beat-it" to one of the dealerships in Houston. The "internet sales manager" wished he could match it, but the car I want doesn't exist. Yada yada yada...I replied that of course it does, you ORDER it. (It really shouldn't surprise me...I haven't heard good things about the Houston dealerships.

I haven't even tried the BMW Center in SA. (I still cringe just thinking about them.) I had a nice test drive experience at JR in Austin. No pressure what so ever.

I just wish some of the dealerships had what I want to drive.

So, there I am...will my lack of patience get the better of me? Hmmm, time will tell...

(Here I am typing this and thinking what can I do this weekend? Maybe go drive some BMWs...sheesh, I'm addicted. SAVE ME!!!)

You're in Austin, right? Refresh my memory.

Stacy
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    I purchased from Dave Fristch at Shelly BMW in Buena Park and recommend him highly. But I compiled this list from recommendations on this board:
    Cutter - Santa Barb
    Riverside - Chris Johnson
    Alhambra - Eddie Yeh
    Sterling - Newport Beach, Tina
    Pacific - Glendale
  • pap5pap5 Posts: 144
    To shed some additional darkness on the subject . . .

In understeer condition, you go wide of intended line due to fronts losing traction; in oversteer, your line tightens due to rears losing traction. Factors affecting include weight distribution, chassis/suspension tuning, and amount of rubber on the road. Rubber on road = contact patch, determined by tire circumference and tread width (also tire construction). For platforms employing both equal and staggered configurations (like 3 and 5 series), manufacturing economies dictate equal circumference at all four corners. Therefore, circumference is eliminated as a variable, leaving tread width. So, naturally oversteering cars might run wider rears to neutralize the oversteer to some desired degree.

The first production car with wider rear tires tires I ever saw was the original Porsche 930 Turbo of the mid-70s. Made sense -- big rear weight bias + big torque = big tendency to swap ends for drivers with more bucks than brains.

So why are front-engined cars like 330i SPs, 540i6s, and M cars staggered? Even front-engined cars can be made to oversteer, and maybe BMW figures that buyers of these variants would be the most likely to get into such situations.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Im in Dallas, i wish i could recommend a dealer here but i cant right now.Classic has one of the largest inventories in the USA , but only had a couple of manuals sheesh...

Anyways i just had a thought , how long is your assigment in Germany ? The 2006 World cup is there. im thinking a great time for a ED ;) we might have to rent a room from yall.

DL
  • John Roberts in Austin is not high pressure but they won't deal. They took $500 off MSRP on my 325i and that was it. I probably could have done better by going to Temple, but I didn't want the hassle of driving 50 miles out of my way to save 500 bucks on a 30+k car. I've had my car a month now and I would happily have paid over MSRP for it. I love my baby!
    DL,

What did you end up with, options, etc...?

Assignment in Germany is anywhere from 3 to 5 years. If we go, we sign on for 3 with a possible extension for an additional 2 years. (This is all speculative...I'm still waiting word.)

Stacy
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    http://www.nashuahomesearch.com/communityframe.html

I looked up Nashua and their rates have traditionally been in the 20's, even hitting 30 at some point in the 90's. You should check with a real estate broker, though...

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Based upon your comments of yesterday (I think it was only yesterday, so much has happened :-/ (long story)) I called my broker and asked him. He told me that in Windham the rate was $17.25 per thousand of assessed value, and that the assessed value was usually much less than the selling price of the house. So, even at worst (assuming that the assessed value comes in the same as our buying price), we would still be paying considerably less than we are currently paying here in NJ. ;-) I guess that the Windham/Salem area is maybe a little lower than the Nashua area, which is good news for us.

Thanks again for the “heads up”.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ddblueddblue Posts: 117
    When I started posing questions to Brave about his tire choice, I didn't know it would foster such great feedback from everyone. Much appreciated.

mg330ci--I definitely don't hammer the car at everylight. In fact, I've never "burned rubber" in my car (okay, once). I have been to six autocross events in the past eight months, so that may be a factor. Plus, I'm a fairly aggressive driver--for fun, not rage--so I take corners pretty hard. The sidewalls are pretty roasted near the arrows (wear indicators?)on all four Contis, but I still can't figure out why there are 15K miles left on the fronts and only 2K on the rears. Da** elusive tire gremlins.
  • rpoperpope Posts: 4
    If you are trying to decide between waiting to come here to Germany and buying or buying back at home, trust me Wait. The price is much better here, if you are military or US government employee. I was stunned at the difference between the US BMW price and the BMW Military Sales price here. That's my two cents worth.
    Thanks for the post. Yes, I've researched the prices through Pentagon Car Sales.

I'm trying to be patient. That is what is hard.

Are you currently in Germany?

(Riez...I'm taking your advice...I'm posting more. ;o)
  • mg330cimg330ci Posts: 162
    6 autox x 4 runs each total 24 rubber burning starts, which due to the high adrenaline levels, might have passed unnoticed by you.

Also, if you deactivated the traction control during autox (recommended as it would allow you to drive faster once you learn the real limits of the car) you would have been spinning your rears coming out of the turns (6x4x (lets say 5 sharp turns) total 120 rubber burning episodes.

Perhaps this numbers might explain the difference in tire longevity you have experienced.
  • ddblueddblue Posts: 117
    I don't know why I didn't even think about those starts and turns. Duh. I definitely shut off the two-stage DSC on each run. I tried very hard not to spin the tires too much, so as not to lose time at the starting gates. But I know that I push it pretty hard coming out of each turn. On my third and final run at the June 2002 autocross event in Maryland, I spun out pretty hard in the last half of the course. At least a 360, which really tore up the rears, I'm sure.
  • 530bmw530bmw Posts: 130
    I think you got a good deal if you did not pay for document processing fees which could be as high as $495 in Virginia, but in Maryland the law only allows them to charge $25. I am not familiar with the $95 fee that you mentioned. Before I went to Passport I had called BMW of Arlington but never went in before. Did you have a bad experience with Passport's service department? I live less than five minutes from Fairfax BMW but I have heard some unpleasant stories about them. I am not sure who has the best service department in the DC area, do you know?
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    Its been 5 years since I've driven the GTP. I might have experienced some understeer on that car, I can't really remember it being a problem, though.

The problem with the GTP (and maybe it was the tires), was that breakaway wasn't very progressive. You were at the limit, and the next thing you knew, you were chasing your tail. I've lost my Maxima a couple of times, and had to gather it back in. But, I came real close to seriously wrecking that Grand Prix a few times - too close for comfort. I'm too married-with-children now, for that kind of driving, with just too much to lose.
  • kyyuankyyuan Posts: 12
    JingleJill and dl7265,

I've just started looking for a 2003 330i. From a recommendation on this board, I called Dave Hill at Mike Pyle's BMW in Tyler. He was very polite and sounded very candid. In fact, he even recommended that I try Autobahn BMW in Fort Worth because I have a concern regarding local service. (you certainly won't get this type of phone service from any Dallas based BMW dealers.)

I'm going to visit Autobahn BMW tomorrow. Nonetheless, if Autobahn doesn't workout, I'll definitely contact Dave again. So, give Dave a shot. His number is 800 306-8891.

Ken