Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• paulepaule Posts: 382
    Frankly, I've never been impressed by people who think that short tire life is a sign of driving prowess.
    Shoot Doug, you're making me feel bad with that comment.
    I went down to Bondurant a few years ago for a four day school and blew out a tire coming around a corner.
    I still have a piece of the tire as a momento of how hard I was driving the car!
  • Just an update.... I was able to bring them down to $37,200 + TTL.
  • "You're back? Haven't seen you in a while "

Been really busy.... I need to change my forum id though. I wonder if 99Mcoupe is taken.... :confuse:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,584
    Sweet!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    Yup, and enjoying every minute of it. :D

Need to replace the rear tires soon though. They are almost to wear bar.
  • matwagsmatwags Posts: 20
    I have a 2002 330i, 36000 miles, warranty is up 11/05. I am considering extended maintenance or extended warranty. Anyone have experience with BMW or outside programs and costs?
  • Blueguy:
    Which Kumhos you installed in your zhp, the ECSTA Supra 712 (lowest priced at Tire Rack) or the ASX ? How much driving quality you gave up compared with your previous ones? How about noise? I was just about to replace'em with Michelins PS2 but I am rethinking due to the wallet syndrome.
  • ASX I believe. Ride quality is fine and so is noise (sa-03s were louder). They're not as sticky as my original RE40s but seem to hold better than my SA-03s (at least my traction control doesn't kick in as often). I've had them for 6-7 miles and the tread life seems way better than either of my bridgestones. I have a feeling these will easily last me until I need to return the car in May of 06.
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    I have been driving RWD 3 series with winter tires and had absolutely no problems in the past. I have an xiT that will serve as our primary transportation this winter. I am wondering if I can get away from getting a set of winter tires this time around. Putting the winter tires/wheels on and off twice a year has become quite tedious for me. Anyone with xi model living in area with quite a bit of winter snow (such as northeast) care to share your experience, if one can get through the season with the OE all seasons tires? Your experience may help me to make a decision which I should make soon. Snow is only a few weeks away. Thanks in advance for your idea.
  • armandarmand Posts: 178
    This will be my first winter with my XiT too but I have have 4 Quattro's and never put snows on them and had no snow problems.
  • I live in the N East and snow is a big problem as its cleared infrequently in my town. Worse still, the snowploughs often can't get down the hill where I live. Last winter I put Nokians on my Volvo 60 and they made a huge difference and I will be doing the same thing on my new 325xi. As I have previously posted on this board, Nokians are the ONLY all season tires also classified as "snows". So you dont have to fuss with changing them back and forth twice a year.
  • I have a 2004 330i which has developed a rather funky, mildew type smell coming from the vents when the climate control is on. When the A/C is also engaged the smell dissipates somewhat but is still there. I am rapidly approaching the 15,000 mile service; will they be able to do some sort of cleaning in the vents at that point? Has anyone ever experienced this in an E46?

thanks

Dave
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    I've heard of this before... there is a tsb out there for it. The guys at the dealership can (IIRC) can clean the vents with some industrial-strength Lysol and that should alleviate the problem for a while (I'm not sure it's a complete fix).

The other thing I've heard is to shut off the a/c and let the fan blow for a few minutes prior to shutting off the car (i.e., so just shut off the a/c a few miles before you reach your destination).
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    This is a common problem with E46 cars but luckily, it has an easy solution. Run the AC at the lowest temp setting and highest fan setting for a few minutes, open the microfilter cover, pull the filter out, spray antibacterial Lysol directly in the opening where the air is sucked in, switch off the car, put the filter and cover back on. No tools required, it's that easy.
  • Thanks for the advice. I'll give the lysol a shot and try to remember to kill the A/C early from now on. I'm guessing the previous summer in the Texas humidity had something to do with it?

will follow up

Dave
  • You must have noticed the improved steering and braking with the winter tires. All wheel drive won't help these. I think the improvement is so great that winter tires may well prevent fender-benders and pay for themselves.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    Once you do it, you won't have to switch off the A/C early. It worked for me at least.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    1) Yes, the second service appt will be Inspection II.

2) Some BMW Centers have loaners, some do not. Every center's loaner policy is different. Most centers that have loaners do so only if the service will take more than a couple hours. I'm not sure how long the Inspection II takes...

3) Subsequent service appts alternate between I and II.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,718
    It might be semantics... but...

The first time you go in (around 15K miles) is an oil service..

The second time you go.. (around 30K miles) is Inspection I (1) (one)..

Inspection II (2) (two) is the one that occurs around 60K miles..

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    Inspection II does not cover brake fluids at most places. Per the owner's manual, it covers the following:

1- oil change
    2- microfilter change
    3- air filter change
    4- inspection of various components of the car

Outside of #1-3, there isn't much in the way of hardware/fluids that gets changed.
    The coolant flush is once every 4 years and brake fluid flush once every 2 years, but not included on any "Inspections".

If it's a manual tranny, then tranny fluid and fuel filter should be changed before 100K miles.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 337
    In my area, loaners are available from most of the dealers, but only if it's the dealership where you bought the car. I've gotten a loaner even when all I was having done was an oil change.
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    "...and brake fluid flush once every 2 years, but not included on any "Inspections". "

It is included in the free maint. program, though. My dealership didn't realize this (me either), and they charged me for it. About a week later, I got a check in the mail from them refunding the amount with an apology from the service manager.
  • sheepdgsheepdg Posts: 12
    Register on BMW Owners Circle WebSite. You can download your cars manual as a .pdf and review the complete maintenance and service requirements for your vehicle (if you're into reading).
  • Kyfdx:
    You're on the money. Indeed, the SA confirmed me today that the first appointment (circa 15K) was the oil change (my wife took it since I was out of town, that's why I didn't knew). Ergo, the second one (this one) becomes Inspection I (1). My clock is little over 25K.
    What bother's me a bit according to your response is that Inspection II @60K would not be covered by the 4YR/50K free maintenance. Is that the case? :(
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,718
    Correct.... not covered..

Depending on how much you drive.. and whether you plan to keep on doing your maintenance at the dealer... You might consider buying the extended maintenance plan.. Takes you out to 6yr/100K for around $1000.... If you think you'll hit 75K before the six years, it will pretty much pay for itself..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sheepdgsheepdg Posts: 12
    BMW Maintenance Program upgrade from 3Y/36k to 6Y/100K is @ $1,400. 3Y/36K to 4Y/50K is @ $400.

Extended Warranty from 4Y/50K to 6Y/100K is @ $2,800 (for non-M3).

For Maintenance Extension, the car must be under active coverage (no lapse).

For Warranty Extension, the car must be under active coverage and you must be the original owner. Vehicle inspection is not required and the policy is transferable for a $50 fee.
  • Hello everyone. I know that there have been a number of postings about this but I would like to bring this up again. My Continentals OEMs are about 27K in, and I am ready for a new set. However, I am getting a ridiculous amount of road noise in the cabin. Is that common? Not only it is loud but it is almost a rythmic sound. Last time I was at the dealership (about a month ago) they told me that my tires are causing the noise. It seems strange on how much road noise I am getting from these tires. Is this common? Thank you.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    Many tires get louder as they wear. What you're experiencing is normal.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Posts: 52
    I have a 2002 325i sedan with 27,000 miles and the dealer recommended I replace the tires soon. I don't necessarily following everything the dealer says, but the tires are starting to look warn. Any recommendation for new tires? I don't push the car and want something that's quiet. What does BMW put on their new 325's now? Thanks for all suggestions.
  • tirerack.com