Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    The Lojack as you might know is a theft recovery system. You should save on insurance and its monitored by the Police. Shop around for pricing , it varies.

Now most might say a Bimmer is unlikely to get stolen, would have to be towed ect... i did see a 2002 Infiniti that somone coded a key for somehow my guess is worked for a dealer. mayb more likely a carjacking situation, basically it gives a good chance for the thief to get caught and also most cars are stripped at later time and might save your car.

If i ever bought another Honda or GM product id get one for sure. The alarm adds motion detection and a siren is all i think ? anyone ?

good luck
    DL
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I believe that someone on one of the Roadfly boards discussed swapping switches and/or harnesses in order to restore the "old" Step shift pattern. I think it may have been the E39 board, but the E46 probably uses a similar setup.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I am getting ready to take my car in in a couple of months for my 15000 service (picked up the car in March!). How do you know of the pedal is the sticky type? My 325xi has a notchy feeling, almost like little stops when I am lightly changing speeds/correcting or if I move my foot very slowly. It doesn't seem to stick on one location, but the depression of the pedal isn't smooth.

-Paul
  • A dealer told me they will loan me a car each time I do the services. Is this a standard programm national wild? Since 2003 model provide four years maintainance program, does that mean within the first four years I can get this free loaner program?

I am in negotiation with some dealer for a 2003 325i. They told me there is a Group Dealer Advertising fee for $200 on each car. I never heard about that and I told the dealer that the advertising fee should have nothing to do with my special order. Anyone has such experience?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,412
    Loaner programs vary by dealer. It probably means that you will get a loaner car every time you bring your car there for service, not just scheduled maintenance.

The $200 MACO advertising fee is kosher and many here on the board living in larger metropolitan areas have paid it. It is actually listed on the dealer invoice.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kp40mkp40m Posts: 19
    I was originally planning to buy a 325xi, PP, CWP, Xenon’s, (white, 5 speed, black leatherette).

I'm trying to control my costs. I want the all wheel drive and CWP because I live in the NE. We don't get a ton of snow, but this will be my only car and I drive 45 miles each way to work.

I’m thinking about not getting the PP. I plan to keep the car for at least 100,000 miles. Will I regret not getting the power seats and the sunroof? I am not concerned about the loss of most of the other PP items, e.g., rain sensing wipers, auto mirror, wood trim, auto headlights, computer, etc.

I have never had a car with a sunroof or power seats, so I don’t think I’ll miss these. I’m not as concerned about the lower resale value as I plan to keep this car for 5 to 6 years.
    what you're asking for can be done. You'll have to special order the car with no PP and especially no sunroof. The dealer will probably ask you for a sizeable deposit as he'd have a very hard time selling your car if you back out of the deal.

If you're really trying to keep your costs in line, might I suggest getting a 325i (sans the X)? You'll save yourself the $1750 they charge for AWD and get yourself a set of winter tires & wheels that will get you anywhere you want to go any day of the week. Just a suggestion.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    ... holding the unlock button is supposed to automatically open all windows and the sunroof. It does not work in my '01 325i. Was this something that came with the premium package? The car manual does not limit it to particular models and options, so I am thinking it should work on my car too... I have the automatic door lock (locks all doors at speed > 10 mph) turned on, could this be realted?
    while I have no experience with BMWs, I know that VWs, Audis, & MBs need to have the key (in the door) turned all the way towards the lock or unlock position in order to open or close all the windows & the sunroof. This feature on the aforementioned cars DOES NOT work from the remotes.

• rpoperpope Posts: 4
    Are you talking about while driving, lowering all the windows? I know that I'm able to open all of my windows using the unlock button on my key, so that on a hot day it's a little cooler by the time i make it to my car. BTW it's a 325i without premium package.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Posts: 52
    I have the '02 325i with auto door lock turned on and I can open all windows and sunroof by holding the unlock button on the remote, or by holding unlock position with the key in the door. You might try it with the key.
    Like I said, I don't have experience with BMWs.

It works with the key but not with the remote. I will ask the dealer to fix it. Thanks much!!!

rpope - it is to "...open all of my windows using the unlock button on my key, so that on a hot day it's a little cooler by the time i make it to my car. "
  • tenet1tenet1 Posts: 354
    This is how it works for me:

Press unlock once to open driver door

Press unlock 2nd time to unlock other doors. To lower the windows and sunroof, make sure that you hold the button down when you depress it the 2nd time. Any slippage and it wont work. The button will have to be held down for atleast 5 seconds for it to work. REMEMBER: Hold the button down the 2nd time it is depressed.

Hope this helps
    I first noticed that I have the sticky gas pedal last week when we got temp in the 90's 8 days running. I can only feel it when I feather it but it drove me nuts once I discovered it. I scheduled with the dealer to fix it when I bring the car in for my second oil change in a few weeks. They needed a couple of weeks lead time because the parts are back-ordered.

kp40m - drop the X, get snows. AWD is for wimps (just kidding, erickpl). Not, not really kidding... OK, I'm kidding :o) The snows are cheaper and better than AWD - that will allow you to control costs and the car will likely be more reliable long-term without an AWD.

upshifting/downshifting - I also find it a lot more intuitive to shift back when upshifting because at that point you are glued to the seat and it's tough to move your body forward...
    Thanks, I'll try that.
  • abcnycabcnyc Posts: 101
    I confirmed with the service department that the 2 notches on the dipstick indicate the oil levels and not the "bulb". I'm glad I didn't try to add oil until it reached the "bulb". You would think they would put some indicators on the dipstick (e.g. "L" & "F").
    Uhhh... :)

dem's fightin' woids! hehehe

If you have your heart on the xi, go with it. I have mine w/o the PP. I don't miss the sunroof (work in the Mojave desert) and live in the mountains (intense sun). The wood trim I got thrown in, as did I the center armrest (std for 2003). I do miss the power seats as I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5'1". But it is workable. How are you for the SP? That is another area, though I wouldn't get a BMW without it... a subjective choice.

You are saving costs by not getting a metallic paint and the manual, so that is a plus. Have you considered a 2002 or a 2003? You might save a bit there, but who knows. If you are concerned about being able to finance, don't be afraid to shop around for a deal that works for you. There are several places on the web to get car financing (some here have used them and gotten good rates/payments). You might also consider ED, which again, many on here have done. You can save quite a bit, which would cover the cost of the trip. You can save there by doing a short one (picking up, driving a bit, then returning). Others on here know MUCH more than me about that, though I plan to do it for the next BMW I buy (unless it's a Z4 or one of the new 6 Series coming out in 2004).

Regardless of what you choose, good luck with getting it and enjoy it!

You can see my xi at http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_ if you want.

-Paul

2002 325xi

SP, CWP, 1/2 PP

xenons

Oxford Green/Natural Brown leather

tint, XM radio, universal transceiver

brave you mentioned that first noticed that you have the sticky gas pedal last week when you got temp in the 90's 8 days running. You said that you can only feel it when you feather it.
    What exactly do you mean when you feather it? Does it feel 'notchy' almost like there are predefined stops along the travel of the pedal even if moving the pedal just a tiny bit?

-Paul
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    I've been thinking about combining a trip to visit a friend on the East Coast with the 1-day Spartanburg experience. But I'm very interested in getting details on doing something like this locally too. If you pick a different forum for organizing this, Eric, would you please keep me in the loop? Thanks!

I've had my car for 2 mos & while I'm not sure if I'd describe the pedal as notchy or sticky, sometimes it is difficult to gauge just how much gas to give it to get moving without jumping forward. Never had this feel in my previous cars, nor in auto transmission rentals over the years.

Hey maybe that driving school is more than a good idea it is downright mandatory!